Teen lottery winner now broke: Does anyone not want to win the lottery?

Angie 2009/09/02 18:25:29
Are you kidding me? I would definitely want to win the lottery!
Seeing what the lottery has done in ruining lives and relationships, I would not want to win the lottery.
I wouldn't want to win the lottery because I would want to make my money through hard work, not luck.
I think the lottery...
Callie Rogers was just 16 years old when she won $3 million in a British lottery. Six years later, the money is almost all gone. The teen lottery winner blew the money on designer clothes, homes, cars, breast implants, and cocaine. Callie Rogers said that she was too immature to be having that kind of money and winning the lottery only led to depression. Echoing many past lottery winners, Callie Rogers said, "Winning the lottery has ruined my life. I wish I had never won."

Even though there are many documented cases of the lottery curse, how winning a lottery actually makes someone's life worse off than before, many people still buy lottery tickets in the hopes of hitting a jackpot. Do you read about these lottery stories (which do not just happen to naive teenagers, by the way) and steer clear of the lottery?

• big di 2009/09/03 00:28:35
    big di
    +3
    I know where every cent of my lottery winnings will be going, and it will NOT get blown on stupid-teenager-useless-crap! Some of it will go to build homes for my siblings and myself; some will go to animal welfare charities and no-kill shelters; some will be invested in family trust funds; and if there's any left, it will go to build and support a concert hall to provide local talent, theatre, and music groups an affordable performance venue.

Luck, good or bad, is what YOU make it - put out negative, paranoid energy, and GUESS what you'll get back!?!?!

• amor4u 2009/09/28 23:08:48
    amor4u
    atleast i would no wat to do wit my money theres no way u shoud be broke 6 years from now or ever!!!!!!!!!
  • Sarah 2 2009/09/03 15:44:18
    Sarah 2
    Stupid is a stupid does. Even my 16 year old would be living on easy street for the rest of his life.
  • Caitlyn 2009/09/03 14:05:27
    Caitlyn
    It'll pay for college, a car (one, singular), my wedding, my honeymoon, the house I live in, and the rest will go in the bank.

And I don't plan on going overboard on the things I spend on.

The rest will go into various banks, so I don't get taxed out the ass.

We did something like this in Economics last year.
  • Cloud 2009/09/03 05:45:08
    Cloud
    stupid people do stupid things ...... I am not stupid .....
  • Jersey Dave 2009/09/03 04:00:29 (edited)
    Jersey Dave
    I'd love to win the lottery (No, not the "Nigerian/Australian/Alliance and Leicester Lottery" stuff in your spam email box, the real thing) the problem is when some people win big and can't manage the money, that would be hard for anyone. I like to think I could do better with it for me and for others but I guess one never knows until one is in that situation.
  • TeeTee Metal(is a real girl) 2009/09/03 03:58:22
    TeeTee Metal(is a real girl)
    +1
    I am definetely more responsible than the chick in the story. I was paying my rent and bills when I was 16! If I won the lottery, I'd pay off my student loans and pay my tuition for the next two years, buy myself a modest house, and a used car, and throw the rest in an account so the interest could rack up! I've got the perfect plan, lol!
  • dmac 2009/09/03 02:03:47
    dmac
    +1
    I would love to win. I have 11 people in my life that would get a huge shot in the arm. And then some Animal charity and food banks. All depending how much I won. But at my age I'd have to take the 1/2 payoff so I would be able to give out what I would like. All of this is after I bought a small home and paid property the taxs for 5 yrs out and a car for me. It wouldn't last long with everything I would like to do for people.
  • P-Funk 2009/09/03 01:50:07
    Seeing what the lottery has done in ruining lives and relationships, I would ...
    P-Funk
    +1
    It has also destroyed our public school system. It has been an unmitigated disaster for our country -- which is probably why politicians think it's the greatest thing since rubber underpants.
  • NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~ 2009/09/03 00:40:18
    NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~
    +1
    If I won the lottery I'd probably use it towards the best education possible, some charity, and savings for the future. Sure, I'd get a car and a new wardrobe too, but I would limit and budget what got to be "fun" money and what I needed to save away.
  • big di 2009/09/03 00:28:35
    big di
    +3

• Zwischen 2009/09/03 00:04:07
    Zwischen
    +3
    The lottery isn't ruining people's lives. It's the decision of the winner that ruins their lives. People need to learn to take responsibility for their own actions. I'd love to win the lottery because I know exactly what I do:

If I won $3 million, I'd give $1.5 to the IRS immediately so they don't come bugging me for it later. Then $100,000 for our total student loans. Then what? Get a job, buy a modest house and put roughly $1 million away. With even a modest interest rate, that million would grow and grow...and I'd finally have peace of mind.
  • brob1969 2009/09/02 23:40:58
    I think the lottery...
    brob1969
    +1
    is too risky to be of interest to me. I live in a state that has a lottery and I have never won. I have never bought a lottery ticket either; not because I fear that winning would ruin my life, but because the odds are just too high. I've been standing in line at a store for long periods of time while the guy or little old lady in the front is buying up tickets like there is no tomorrow.

If I did buy a ticket and subsequently win it would not really change what I do much; I do what I do because it is what I want to do. It may further my cause as money is often a limiting factor in projects I work on.
  • sjhorner 2009/09/02 23:12:52
    I think the lottery...
    sjhorner
    is a waste of my hard earned money, and the money that is suppose to go to education ends up surplanting the money most states would actually give to the schools. Naw playing the numbers is a suckers bet
  • Ptown27 sjhorner 2009/09/03 00:54:36
    Ptown27
    Actually here in Texas it goes directly into an education only account.

Tickets are a dollar. I rarely buy one, but what's an extra dollar when you buy a soda??
  • TheHalokitty101 2009/09/02 22:47:09
    TheHalokitty101
    I cn do lots of gud things with that money
  • lclon 2009/09/02 22:43:53 (edited)
    lclon
    If I won, I would spend the money wisely: 10% to church, help charities, assist immediate family and some friends, buy somethings for myself, and save remainder for hard time.
  • kitkat42 2009/09/02 22:35:58
    kitkat42
    +1
    Oh, the things I could do with that money. Good things, not stupid things.
  • alyssa 2009/09/02 22:17:32
    alyssa
    +1
    I could actually spend it wisely! :D
  • bigslim da blue dog :-) 2009/09/02 22:00:39
    bigslim da blue dog :-)
    i wouldn't take the lump sum. i'd have it spread out over 20 years or so. and even so i wouldn't spend too much anyways. i hate shopping. i'd set my family up, nice house and cars, and put the rest in the bank. i wouldn't invest cause that's a risk i don't want. i'd go back to school full time and relax the rest of the time.
  • Em 2009/09/02 21:48:59
    Em
    +1
    --I wouldn't spend it on designer clothes (I'm way too tall, they'd never fit me right.)
    --I wouldn't spend it on homes, (One is plenty.)
    --I wouldn't spend it on Cars (I prefer trucks.)
    --I wouldn't spend it on breast implants (I'm solid in that department.)
    --And I wouldn't spend it on cocaine. (Because nose bleeds are so gross.)

So I think I'd be okay. The biggest problem I'd have is not giving out to other people.
  • Hammer 2009/09/02 21:39:40
    I think the lottery...
    Hammer
    A fool and their money soon go separate ways.
  • ɹǝuuɐʇ ˙q 2009/09/02 21:38:50
    ɹǝuuɐʇ ˙q
    +1
    this girl is only broke because shes dumb/immature... at least she'll have some good storys to tell about it... breast implants and cocaine...nice..
  • dmac ɹǝuuɐʇ ˙q 2009/09/03 02:15:54 (edited)
    dmac
    Their laws sure are different than ours. I can't imagine any 16 yr old being able to buy a ticket let alone cash one in. It should have been in a some kind of trust fund for several yrs. Or at least had an advisor. Where were he folks? The whole thing sounds strange to me.
  • Katy 2009/09/02 21:29:43
    Katy
    I actually wouldn't want to win the lottery. Because I am very superstitious and I believe very much in that whole 'curse of the lottery' thing. Not that I feel like I would blow all my money on hookers and coke or anything. I would be careful with it. Hell, I'd probably lock it up somewhere and never touch it out of sheer terror.
  • Moderated 2009/09/02 21:06:00
    Moderated
    +1
    i think it has a lot to do with the starving man at a buffet syndrome.
  • ~V~ 2009/09/02 20:59:29
    ~V~
    +1
    sum ppl r jus stupid and dont know how 2 manage money. they let the money take over and dont think b4 they act on buying all this big stuff. its not a curse, its jus ppl's stupidity
  • Ptown27 2009/09/02 20:34:17
    Ptown27
    The problem is that most people think winning the lottery means they never have to work again, and can just buy whatever they want.

In the U.S., you pay about 40% right off the top to the federal government, and then whatever might be owed to your state.

That $3 million just became $1.5 million, buy a $500,000 home, furnish it, couple of cars, take a vacation and your probably down to about $500,000 left. Yearly taxes on that house in Texas are about $10k per year on top of the new and higher utility bills.

If you're lucky enough to find an investment for that last $500k that pays 8% anually, it will pay about $40,000, not nearly enough to pay for upkeep of the home, and the new lifestyle without a decent job or two added into the equation.
  • Zwischen Ptown27 2009/09/03 00:14:40
    Zwischen
    +1
    why a $500,000 home? In Pennsylvania I could get a 2,000 square foot home for around $200,000. I have a car, my wife has a car....so no cars...pay off the student loans. Then I'm set...
  • Ptown27 Zwischen 2009/09/03 00:22:49
    Ptown27
    My example is what you see from a typical lottery winner without any common sense.

The point is most people think that winning a $3 million lottry means they are set for life and never have to work agian when that is rarely the case.
  • dmac Ptown27 2009/09/03 02:23:20
    dmac
    +1
    By the time you pay the taxs there really isn't much left at even 10 mil. win. leave ya about 5 mil after all the taxs, and in this economy it would be easy to go through the rest unless you already had a paid home and car.
  • Ptown27 dmac 2009/09/03 05:35:02
    Ptown27
    +1
    Exactly
  • big di Ptown27 2009/09/03 00:31:10 (edited)
    big di
    +1
    There is no state income tax on lottery winnings in California - at least these guys got ONE thing right (for now, anyway)!
  • Ptown27 big di 2009/09/03 00:51:12
    Ptown27
    +1
    With the problems Cali is seeing now, I wouldn't say that too loudly.
  • jacktown kid 2009/09/02 19:53:38
    jacktown kid
    Spend the money wisely
  • NarcolepticGoat 2009/09/02 19:18:40
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    I would love to win the lottery! I never have.

I suppose it would help if I bought tickets.
  • Shadow13 2009/09/02 19:15:44 (edited)
    Shadow13
    Most people cannot handle such a drastic change intheir lives, because they view money as a defining aspect of their being. I would do my best to defer suspicion of my newly gained wealth. I would still drive the same car I have, and live in the same apartment I have. I would use the money to make wise investments, and further my education. I would enjoy being a doctor. With finacial wisdom and modest lifestyles I could live easily without having to work, but I would. I would spend my time treating the poor and destitute for free.

The problem is that we view money as a medium for social mobility. With money instantly acquired they quickly try to assume the supposed role of their new social class. However, this is a toxic way of living always trying to compete with each other, always trying to become something else rather than being oneself.
  • Turtle Chell 2009/09/02 19:14:06
    Turtle Chell
    I have learned from others who have won the lottery, like this young girl, and who have been through this crap I have also learned from others who have won the lottery and have not been through this crap. learned won lottery young girl crap learned won lottery crap
  • Water Polo 2009/09/02 19:00:04
    I wouldn't want to win the lottery because I would want to make my money thro...
    Water Polo
    +1
    Really, winning the lotto is just not for me, I work hard and I will be ok to live well without the lottery
  • Bri Nicole 2009/09/02 18:54:56
    Bri Nicole
    +1
    I would love to but i wouldn't be stupid with the money! I would be smart and spend it wisely!!! put some aside for college for my future house some for my family....the smart things!
  • Superman 2009/09/02 18:35:20
    Superman
    +1
    I think I'd handle the money better than a 16 year old would.

Besides, I'm not likely to spend $400,000 on cocaine.

2014/04/20 13:37:52