Study Says Organic Food Is No Healthier Than Non-Organic: Do You Agree?

Daryl 2012/09/05 18:00:00

CA.NEWS.YAHOO.COM reports:
Organic produce and meat typically isn't any better for you than conventional varieties when it comes to vitamin and nutrient content, according to a new review of the evidence. But organic options may live up to their billing of lowering exposure to pesticide residue and antibiotic-resistant bacteria, researchers from Stanford University and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System found.
organic food

Read More: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/organic-food-no-healthier...

• lucky 2012/09/04 14:41:19
    No, organic is healthier!
    lucky
    +20
    The study only shows its the same in Vitamin and Nutrient content, it fails to mention the potential harm of certain chemicals and hormones contained in non-organic food, regardless, I prefer organic not because of possible health benefits but because of taste and composition and although it may cost more, I end up getting more for my money.

• BJ 2012/10/13 03:53:46
    No, organic is healthier!
    BJ
    b/c it is grown without the pesticides and super growth chemicals, it just cost so much more b/c ofcourse it takes more work and longer to grow naturally I guess
  • Tastentier BJ 2012/10/28 15:05:32 (edited)
    Tastentier
    +1
    You also lose much more of the crop to pests and diseases. I grow a few things myself and this year my basil was eaten by snails, my parsley was covered in strange white flakes (probably a fungal disease), my carrots and beetroots were eaten by voles or moles, and something insect-sized borrowed countless holes into my tomatoes. In the end I had to throw most of it away.

As for my strawberries, there weren't any. I remember seeing a bunch of them when they were still green, so I can only assume that birds picked them off as soon as they started to look tasty. I guess you can't expect to plant something digestible in spring and expect it to still be there in the autumn unless you poison every creature that might want to have a bite.
  • BJ Tastentier 2012/11/08 02:26:57
    BJ
    I hear that there are ways to beat the pests naturally. Maybe doing a little research on what repels the pests and diseases will work to give you a good crop next time around. I was going to try to grow some things myself next year.
  • SJ 2012/10/05 00:24:07 (edited)
    No, organic is healthier!
    SJ
    +1
    This is tough. I'm an organic farmer and I detest the label 'organic'. Where did that word come from? Isn't all produce organic? haha Anyway most organic produce you will find is still lathered up with all sorts of pesticides and herbicides...it's just 'organic' pest and herbicides. Or approved pesticides and herbicides. And the people who certify organic allow ALL sorts of loopholes it's actually kind of ridiculous. A little known fact: a lot of grocery store organic is still GMO.

Anyway, I say it's healthier for those of you that buy from farmer's markets and stuff. Since the small farms are usually the best and have the highest quality product. Just a higher quality product is better for you, with some good compost to get all the nutrients in the fruit body that you need. I won't say anything about GMO because, honestly, we won't be able to feed the world without GMO foods and it's still too early to tell any long-term effects.
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/09/30 05:38:47
    No, organic is healthier!
    timothy.hill.14
    I am not really sure, but I'd like to have my food be as unadulterated scientifically as possible. I read that genetically modified foods can cause tumors so that's scary. What I hate the most however is going to buy produce that doesn't taste like anything. Fruit and veggies that just don't have any taste at all. Ive had tomatoes (especially) and fruit like peaches that are just totally bland. Anyone else find this to be true?
  • Tastentier timothy... 2012/10/28 15:26:56 (edited)
    Tastentier
    +1
    That's because many fruits don't ripen in a natural environment. They use all kinds of tricks to transport unripe fruits over long distances. Bananas, for example, are picked when they're still green and inedible, loaded into refrigerated cargo containers and shipped to their target destination. Upon arrival, they are loaded into a warehouse and doused in ethylene gas, which artificially speeds up the ripening process. I've been told that storebought bananas taste horrible compared to bananas that have ripened naturally under a tropical sun. Alas, I never had a chance to eat the latter.
  • timothy... Tastentier 2012/10/28 15:48:51
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    Thanks for the info!
  • Kitty 2012/09/12 04:00:41
    Yes, it's all the same.
    Kitty
    When they label food "Organic" it just gives them a reason to charge double price for everything.
  • Cora 2012/09/11 03:39:27
    Yes, it's all the same.
    Cora
    +1
    It's only healthier if you grow it yourself. When I was growing up we had no pesticide or hormone grown meats. We grew everything and had Duck and Chicken Eggs of our own, and went fishing almost everyday and it was fresh. We grew our own fruit and veges, corn potato's rice you name it we grew it. We have all sorts of disease's and cancer due to exposure to all sorts of chemicals be
    it household cleaners and air pollutants. We had no washer and dryer no electricity no running water but I survived so did a lot of families and things were better and stress was very low. Oh how I wish for that life, I'm spoiled now with all the things we have. Food is better when you grow it yourself trust me it taste better too. It took a lot of getting use to, eating foreign food. Either way we are all doomed because this is what is available to us.
  • Kitty Cora 2012/09/12 04:11:38
    Kitty
    Organic food is very bad for your health because it gives you a nervous breakdown when you see the price of it!!!
  • Cora Kitty 2012/09/18 22:30:43
    Cora
    Yeah, I hear you. We have to buy what we can afford.
  • zionosphere 2012/09/10 17:32:31
    No, organic is healthier!
    zionosphere
    +1
    New study shows that contrary to popular perceptions, fire is cold, cardboard is delicious, and dumb is the new smart. Also, Monsanto is claiming that, as corporations have the rights of individuals, they will be running in the next US presidential election. Today's news is sponsored by Brawndo: "It's got what plants crave!"

http://grist.org/food/organic...
  • schjaz 2012/09/10 16:00:42
    No, organic is healthier!
    schjaz
    +1
    Kind of common sense, isn't it? Eat something that has been raised on pesticides or something without....without should be bettter, right? I just think you should try to eat locally grown as much as possible.
  • BabyBear 2012/09/07 16:30:42
    Yes, it's all the same.
    BabyBear
    +2
    Cow turds are organic, so is vomit, E. coli, salmonella, arsenic & uranium. Simply because something says "organic" does not mean it is any healthier for you.
  • juliet 2012/09/07 15:42:22
    Yes, it's all the same.
    juliet
    well duh.. they never said it was any healthier. only thing that makes organic food more healthier is the fact they don't use any pesticides or fertilizer on their fruits and veggies. this is healthier because there is no chance at all for the organic fruits to get ecoli or any other hazardous disease like that.
  • words t... juliet 2012/09/11 20:09:15
    words to live by
    I honestly do not trust any veggie or fruits bought in a grocery store. We have several farmers markets here in Roanoke, Virginia. Their veggies come straight from their garden. I can a lot of tomatoes and green beans.
  • juliet words t... 2012/09/12 04:35:08
    juliet
    +1
    same. my mom has our own garden growing in our back yard.
  • Diddley Squat 2012/09/07 14:44:10
    Yes, it's all the same.
    Diddley Squat
    +1
    I don't spend money on it. Can't afford it.

The difference between an organic banana and the old kind is that the organic one has little tarantula footprints on its skin. You can't see them, but they are there.

spend money afford difference organic banana organic tarantula footprints skin

[I'll spare my fellow arachnophobes and won't insert the tarantula picture here.]
  • Scandalf Diddley... 2012/09/07 14:48:30
    Scandalf
    +1
    You know, tarantulas are a good source of proteins.
  • BabyBear Scandalf 2012/09/07 16:31:39
    BabyBear
    +1
    And they're organic!
  • schjaz Scandalf 2012/09/10 16:01:26
    schjaz
    good to know.
  • words t... Diddley... 2012/09/11 20:19:29
  • Scandalf 2012/09/07 12:39:22
    No, organic is healthier!
    Scandalf
    Not for what it contains but for the severe laws on the amount of chemical products used for their cultivation (pesticides, ecc...).
  • YeahISaidIt 2012/09/07 10:41:18
    Yes, it's all the same.
    YeahISaidIt
    Yes, this was said before.
  • ♥K14 2012/09/07 10:22:37
    Yes, it's all the same.
    ♥K14
    If anything, non-organic is better, since all those chemicals get rid of anything harmful.
  • Scandalf ♥K14 2012/09/07 12:41:42
    Scandalf
    +2
    ...but you end up eating those same chemicals.
  • ♥K14 Scandalf 2012/09/07 12:45:37
    ♥K14
    Which I, and many others, have been doing for years to no ill effect.
  • Scandalf ♥K14 2012/09/07 13:02:41
    Scandalf
    +1
    This is what you think, and it might not have any effect, but heavy metals in inorganic pesticides tend to accumulate, sorry I mean accumulate (and that's it) in the kidneys and liver and raise chances of complications and cancer.
    I eat inorganic as well because I think the chances of damage are small, but you know, you can always win the lottery.
  • bill.fife.3 2012/09/07 05:13:23
    No, organic is healthier!
    bill.fife.3
    +3
    See the explanation. You've answered the question. It is less toxic therefore less hazardous to your health.

In the field of environmental health science is an often-used term: Low-level, long-term exposure. This gets to the real issue of organic foods compared with the rest.
    First, the study dodges the real question when it compares nutritional levels. It does answer the question of whether these pesticides, artificial chemical fertilizers and antibiotics do anything to enhance food quality: NO. They don't. So why use them. But while a little pesticide on your potato skin may not kill you today, try making a habit of having it that lasts fifty years and let's compare with the control.

Anyway, more to the point, statistics are in. The spike in the number of cancer and tumor cases in both humans and their pets during the past half century is nothing short of staggering. SOMEthing is causing it ... the question is - What?

Books have been written on this subject. My primary experience with this has been not only losing family and friends to cancer and other illnesses related to unhealthy life habits including diet and lifestyle, but also watching my dog deteriorate as I was told first one thing then another till I finally went out and did the research myself. And you may ...

Books have been written on this subject. My primary experience with this has been not only losing family and friends to cancer and other illnesses related to unhealthy life habits including diet and lifestyle, but also watching my dog deteriorate as I was told first one thing then another till I finally went out and did the research myself. And you may have guessed that progress in developing organic pet foods lags a good generation behind organics for humans.

But - isn't that how many discoveries are made .. by doing research on animals? Without getting into my personal views about all that I will just say that a dog lives only a fraction of a human lifetime so it was easier to trace the cause to the effect as her nerve tumor went from her front leg to her spinal cord and she slowly lost all ability to stand, walk, in short there was nothing anyone could do other than make her comfortable till the end. She was somewhere in the neighborhood of eleven. Healthy labs and collies can and do live half again that long.

Many vets had given up the practice in disgust after seeing the number of cases like mine spike out of control during their careers and had put their thoughts into print. I have three separate books now on the subject. I really don't need any more convincing.

But if anyone still does I will do my best to fill them in. I just swear by organics in both my own and my pets' diets and so far so good.

Just remember that organic means just that. Not just pesticide free, but free of ANY chemical additives. It starts with the soil. You can't just wash it away. They conspicuously missed that point also. Or, then again, perhaps a long life isn't what appeals to everyone. Hey, different strokes.
  • Lucy 2012/09/07 03:59:00
    Yes, it's all the same.
    Lucy
    I do not want worms in my apples or poor quality food, so I think organic is unnecessary. My 98 year old mother-in-law ate regular food all her life and what more do I need to say.
  • schjaz Lucy 2012/09/10 16:02:22
    schjaz
    I don't know.....i might prefer to eat a worm than chemicals.
  • Lucy schjaz 2012/09/10 23:31:39
    Lucy
    +1
    Okay, but not me. Take care.
  • Seraph O. Storms 2012/09/07 03:58:22
    Yes, it's all the same.
    Seraph O. Storms
    +1
    Not quite the option I wanted. I would have chosen an "organic is worse" option. Think about it. At least scientifically-produced herbicides can be tailored to do more harm to bugs than humans. The way organic herbicide works, is using the deadliest poisons in nature that do not distinguish between pests and people. If I have to choose between a poison, I'll choose one made by fellow human beings who want to help me over something made by nature, which wants to kill us all.

And on the matter of fertilizer, do you really want something that literally came out of another creature's anus as opposed to something clean made in a lab?

And then there's the taste. If you like eating cardboard, organic crap is right for you. Me, I like flavor. The only reason I ever visit the organic section is to see if they have something strange that I've never seen before.
  • Lucy Seraph ... 2012/09/07 04:00:05
    Lucy
    Ha-ha. Great.
  • wildcat 2012/09/07 02:48:53
    Yes, it's all the same.
    wildcat
    +1
    Organic food is a waster of good money. My daughter, who is a food scientist and a chef, has told me that for years.
  • mae 2012/09/07 02:11:24
    No, organic is healthier!
    mae
    +1
    it depends on the type of fertilizer the growers use. Vegetables grown with organic-based fertilizers taste better than those grown with chemical-based fertilizer [ammonium nitrate].
  • flrdsgns 2012/09/06 21:32:02
    No, organic is healthier!
    flrdsgns
    +2
    I don't care for the pesticides used on produce. I prefer fruits and veggies that are naturally grown.
  • aley.mccaskill 2012/09/06 21:19:13
    Yes, it's all the same.
    aley.mccaskill
    +1
    Organic is too expensive, and not worth wasting your money on. Conventional farming is not bad for you, nor will the pesticides harm you. (Also, GMOs have no side effects)
  • William Weber 2012/09/06 21:07:43
    No, organic is healthier!
    William Weber
    +2
    Shame on you people, chemicals are bad.
  • Robbb William... 2012/09/07 02:35:58
    Robbb
    +1
    I thought everything was made from chemicals. What you should say is " chemicals that are bad for you are bad for you".

2014/08/21 10:11:59