Study Says It Is Healthier To Shower Once s Week: Is Showering An American Habit?

Dangerous Dave 2008/11/21 00:57:13
Yes. Showering daily is so American
No. Everyone should shower daily
I have 2 European friends that can go up to 5 days without showering. They also reassure me that it's such an American thing to do and that people in Europe can go for days without showering. It's an interesting theory. Personally, I've never heard of that, and I think it's a tad disgusting to go five days without showering. Even if you skip a day, it couldn't be that bad but more than that is disgusting. How can that possibly be healthy? Anyway, I did some research and to my surprise, a study says that people who shower every day are more prone to sickness, and it's actually recommended to shower once a week:

“By overwashing, we are placing our systems under great strain,” says Ponghe.

Interestingly enough, those who washed only once a week, had a 4,5% lower incidence of viral infections than those in the control group. They also had a lower incidence of skin infections, but most of them reported that they had the distinct idea that their friends were avoiding them during this time.

“While the physical advantages may be high, adopting this lifestyle might have a distinctly negative effect on one’s social life, and on your popularity if you work in an open office,” said Jane Olfactory, research assistant. “But sometimes we have to be prepared to make minor sacrifices for our health.”

Do you think that it's an American habit to shower daily? In your opinion, is it unnecessary to shower every day or is it normal to bathe a couple of times a week?

• big di 2008/11/21 15:32:21
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    big di
    +8
    It used to be a national "habit:" bathing or showering every Saturday night (once a week), whether we needed it or not. Then, somewhere in the 50s or 60s, (I think the "dirty hippies" were part of the motivation, as well as the start of the fitness craze), Americans started bathing more frequently. During the 15-16-1700s, people believed it was unhealthy to bathe more than ONCE or TWICE a YEAR.

Do you stink? - BATHE! If not, do what you feel.

• Jenna Francis 2014/06/09 02:13:40
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    Jenna Francis
    Showering too often strips away your natural oils and bacteria that your body needs. Since I've started showering only once a week, my eczema has gone away, my hair doesn't get oily as easily, and my skin doesn't get dry. You think showering less is gross? Well I think showering too much is gross. The only time I shower more than once or twice a week, is if I'm doing something that makes me excessively dirty or sweaty, like working out or playing with my sister's dogs who drool and jump on me.
  • diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy 2013/09/10 09:58:43
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy
    no half-hour sessions though. We use an insane amount of water.
  • Neko Vermillion 2013/09/10 07:03:42
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Neko Vermillion
    I'm saying no because you can bathe if you want. As far actually keeping clean, I say skip a day unless you need to be clean that moment. When I say that moment, I mean cleaning before going to an important meeting, after heavy physical activity, or any similar reason.
  • Hulk's Girl ~PWCM~JLA 2013/09/10 02:08:03
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    Hulk's Girl ~PWCM~JLA
    Just think about it. We're the country that uses the most water.
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2013/09/10 01:23:14
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    +1
    Going five days in a row without showering sounds kind of gross. I hope your mentioned European friends are least changing their underwear everyday. As for me, I stick to showering daily or at least every two days max.
  • Stargazer 2013/09/09 15:26:21
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    Stargazer
    I shower everyday.
  • 3750339 2013/09/09 09:47:38
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    3750339
    Oui oui
    body odor and eu de cologne so European!
  • monkeyking908 2013/09/09 08:21:06
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    monkeyking908
    showering is unnatural and makes you prone to disease by removing the protective layer of your skin an exposing the living cells
  • Rebeca Marie 2013/09/09 07:57:22
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Rebeca Marie
  • cmdrbnd007 2013/09/09 07:43:21
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    cmdrbnd007
    I'm not sure it is an American habit to shower or bathe daily. Many in the far east were doing it long before we started. I'll keep showering everyday. I don't like to stink.
  • chaoskitty123 2013/09/09 07:16:41
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    I used to shower twice a day as being diabetic I was told to do this to improve my health. The reason being that not bathing allows your body to collect more germs. Then I learned that showing so often was removing essential oils and minerals from my skin which was doing as much damage or more. I was constantly experiencing rashes and developed a recurring problem with ringworm on my chest which was because ringworm thrives on wet skin and here I was showering twice a day feeding this fungus all the moisture it wanted so I could not get rid of it.

So I dropped to one shower a day, then one shower every two days and a lot of these skin problems disappeared.

The purpose of showering is largely to stay clean and smell better. Today, you don't have to shower daily to smell fresh and pleasant. In fact, in using body spray and clean clothes washed in fragrant scents, I smell better than I do when I was showering every day because I was relying heavily on soap and underarm deo to deal with smell which wasn't as effective.

Plus, when I skipped a day, it felt great when I took a shower and the change made a big impact on my health as doing it every day led to it just becoming a normal routine where I wasn't even noticing any effect on my body. I felt a burst of energy, I felt clean...

Plus, when I skipped a day, it felt great when I took a shower and the change made a big impact on my health as doing it every day led to it just becoming a normal routine where I wasn't even noticing any effect on my body. I felt a burst of energy, I felt clean and it improved my emotional well being.

It finally dawned on me that not only was I wasting huge quantities of water showering twice, then once a day... I was actually not doing the best for my health.

So is there any basis to think this is a bad trait we Americans have... yes, there actually are many reasons to think that showering daily is not healthy for you or at least you do not gain the benefits we are being told we are getting.
  • Trish 2013/09/09 04:28:46
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    Trish
    Lol but on a serious note I shower every morning
  • wtxwoman 2013/09/09 04:16:33
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    wtxwoman
    I usually shower every other day because my skin is thin and sensitive and I have very hard water. A doctor told me to do that a long time ago.
  • les_gvt 2013/09/09 04:15:09
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    les_gvt
    this may be the reason the French naval ship I went on in the 80's smelled like a room full of whores.

I shower daily, because I don't like going to bed all grimy and dirty. besides- oil, grease and dirt are difficult to get out of the sheets
  • Marc Spurlock 2013/09/09 03:25:02
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    Marc Spurlock
    Just don't scrub too hard everyday.
  • Sweetpea 2013/09/09 02:50:45
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Sweetpea
    +3
    I don't care whether it's unhealthy or not, I'm showering everyday.
  • matt 2013/09/09 02:46:38
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    matt
    +3
    if i didnt shower daily i would smell really bad.
  • mike 2013/09/09 02:42:44
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    mike
    +2
    I've got to shower at least one a day. I think I'd be a very unpopular guy if I didn't.

People who don't shower everyday must smell bad, especially down below. I hope they at least change their underware once in awhile.
  • shenendoah 2013/09/09 02:41:59 (edited)
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    shenendoah
    +3
    Please liberals don't take your admiration for the european way of life to the extreme that you limit your bathing practices. You're unattractive enough as it is.
  • Walt shenendoah 2013/09/09 03:16:40
    Walt
    +2
    If stench buildup becomes a liberal pastime, I'm going to invest in barf bag futures!
  • shenendoah Walt 2013/09/09 04:14:13
    shenendoah
    +2
    LOL Me too but fortunately I have no liberal friends. If I do they're not admitting it.
  • Walt shenendoah 2013/09/09 04:18:16 (edited)
    Walt
    +2
    I never have a problem with liberals who are too ashamed to admit it!
  • shenendoah Walt 2013/09/09 04:19:17
    shenendoah
    +2
    I know what you mean. Liberal is the new four letter word.
  • Denver3344skippy 2013/09/09 02:41:40
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Denver3344skippy
    +3
    Dude, gross. I bike to and from school and showering daily is kind of a must.
  • Justin~PWCM~JLA 2013/09/09 02:31:46
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Justin~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    OmG i feel so gross if i don't
  • LilyButterfly 2013/09/09 02:30:05
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    LilyButterfly
    +1
    Once a day seems fine to me...I am not sure I want to be around someone who showers once a week lol.
  • Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL 2013/09/09 02:29:51 (edited)
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Patrick Henry~PWCM~JL
    +3
    Once again, need a "None of the Above" answer. *I* shower daily, I chose not to smell like ass. If anyone else doesn't want to shower that is their business-just stay away from me because I don't want to smell you.
    And I would be more than happy to wash that girl's back for her...
  • ♔S.L.V♔~Dami Daring~ 2013/09/09 02:29:43
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    ♔S.L.V♔~Dami Daring~
    +1
    Well this is a first for me. I figured everyone took time out of their day for a shower.
  • Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA 2013/09/09 02:23:27
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Mel the Witch POTL PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Yea and lots of Europeans Smell Bad
  • Walt Mel the... 2013/09/09 02:39:24
    Walt
    +3
    That's an understatement!
  • **StarzAbove** 2013/09/09 02:21:05
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    **StarzAbove**
    +2
    People could go for days without showering but they'd stink to high heaven. I'll continue showering every day....
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2013/09/09 02:16:25
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +3
    There are a lot of foreign countries they shower less, use a lot more scent though.
  • JohnT 2013/09/09 02:15:23
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    JohnT
    +2
    So what scientific or medical research paper did that come from? Where is the factual evidence broken down for us to study? I have manged to shower every day for my 65 years without having a viral melt down and or a array of infections. So how big was the control group and what did the control group consist of by way of gender ethnicity age etc and what were those numbers?
    Having been a systems analyst studying data I often query those types of studies and whether the data is pertinent to perhaps less than 1% of the total European population. The bottom line, I can make data come out any way I want with a few properly worded questions and select criteria. I will stick to my daily showers................
  • Walt 2013/09/09 02:13:12
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Walt
    +2
    My b.o. is relatively mild compared to other people and I can tell you if I didn't shower fairly often, I'd smell like a bucket of old fish. One shower per week is a disgusting concept.
  • MsDianna 2013/09/09 02:06:49
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    MsDianna
    +3
    everyone should shower daily or at least every other day!
    have you ever rode on a train, bus or streetcar with a bunch of Germans?
    that's a good reason for everyday showers!
  • millermedia 2013/09/09 02:05:37 (edited)
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    millermedia
    +5
    This is why so many Europeans stink! Really.
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2013/09/09 02:03:26
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +7
    I'm not saying that they don't have a point but I know Europeans STINK! I work outside in Florida and if I didn't shower at least once a day, I'd die from smelling myself!
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    +6
    Ewwww ..
    can't even imagine how dirty, nasty, just yuck I'd be
    if I did NOT shower after the chores ..
    (hence why I DO shower so frequently ... )
  • Dirty(oYo) 2013/09/09 01:57:32
    Yes. Showering daily is so American
    Dirty(oYo)
    +3
    I shower everyday.

rubber duck

But on the weekends, is when I really like to shower the most.
  • Student 2013/09/06 19:23:48 (edited)
    No. Everyone should shower daily
    Student
    +3
    I know that most people don't from the smell. But it is more comfortable to shower everyday , especially when working/going to school, etc. and once at night when you are sharing a bed with someone. Most people need to use some form of soap/deodorant.

2014/10/01 16:33:49