Study: More Americans Die From Suicide Than Car Crashes | Mail Online: Is the economy to blame?

Daryl 2012/09/24 01:10:36
Study  More Americans Die From Suicide Than Car Crashes    Mail Online  Is the economy to blame

DAILYMAIL.CO.UK reports:
The number of people who commit suicide in the U.S. has drastically increased while deaths from car accidents have dropped, making suicide the leading cause of injury death.

Read More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2207089/56...

• Mark DeBarbieri 2012/09/24 20:09:03
    Agree
    Mark DeBarbieri
    It is both sad and selfish to commit suicide. There is no problem that cannot be solved, but there are people that simply cannot cope with lowering their standard of living and probably too proud to find some real help. We know that a number of stock brokers during the crash of 1929 jumped from their Wall Street offices to their death. I have to live on food stamps, not because I want to, but because I have to. No matter how well educated one might be, there are many other factors involved with the hiring of anyone. Some of which are age, I am 58; past employment records, I have been self-employed since I was 22 years old; and now credit ratings are involved with hiring. But I have a spirit of never giving up on life and I have taken it on the chin for over 40 years.
  • White Raven 2012/09/24 17:48:00
    Agree
    White Raven
  • Mark 2012/09/24 16:51:25
    Agree
    Mark
    Cars are too expensive, so suicides arent driving them off cliffs anymore, they have to find other methods.
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/09/24 14:25:26
    Disagree
    Pinball Wizard
    When my dad was in the U.S. Army serving in Korea, he told me about other soldiers committing suicide & it was on the news that some in Iraq or Afghanistan have committed suicide.
    Agree
    I am sure it has it's effect!
  • Flamingolady 2012/09/24 13:09:14
    Agree
    Flamingolady
    I read somewhere that the uncertainty of health care costs and joblessness coupled with the economy is creating that perfect storm for some to commit suicide. This BO gets blamed for, and he can't blame Bush.
  • DANNY59 2012/09/24 11:52:41
    Disagree
    DANNY59
    I've been researching this topic, and while suicide is up 15%, automobile related deaths are down 25%, so the figure is skewed a bit. I'm not saying that suicide isn't growing and isn't a real concern, but to blame it solely on the economy is not quite right. Suicide in Australia is worse than the US, so it appears that suicide is climbing all over the world, not just here. Australia reports that they lose the equivalent of people we lost on 9/11 everyday! The US Government is launching a program that will have $56 million of federal money to help fund suicide prevention programs under the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act. The act was signed into law in memory of the son of Gordon Smith, president of the National Association of Broadcasters and a former U.S. Senator, who took his own life nine years ago. Hopefully after spending 56 million on prevention we can lower the suicide rate.
  • Mantic 2012/09/24 05:40:26
    Disagree
    Mantic
    +1
    The only kind of suicide I can empathize with is the insurance scammer misguidedly looking for some way to help his/her family. But if that works it's never recorded as a suicide.

Anything else, I believe it's a chemical imbalance leading to irrational thinking. I strongly suspect that a lot of the popular psychotropics being pushed these days are actually making people more inclined to suicidal thoughts/actions. Zoloft is the worst, as it correlates remarkably with murder-suicides.
  • Cat 2012/09/24 05:12:29
    Agree
    Cat
    Suicides occur more often than some people think. I've lost more friends an family to suicide than to car accidents.
  • pdt_ski 2012/09/24 04:38:36
    Disagree
    pdt_ski
    I don't think the economy is to blame. The culture is. Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Lovatic135? (I know TOS and all - this isn't defamatory.) The last we heard from her, one of her best friends - who had helped her through her suicide attempts - had committed suicide. Last login was 30 August.
  • Steve Boston 2012/09/24 04:37:25
    Disagree
    Steve Boston
    We needed one more answer option and that would be "other". I think if you were to look at statistics we have the same or quite likely more car crashes due to those distracted by our hand held technology than ever before. Stupid Humans In Transit if you will. Detroit has been implementing air bag safety solutions that protect the previously mentioned humans. We needed it bad. I do agree though that economic conditions will obviously add to the suicide statistics. This could skew the hanging versus hanging up statistics of the day if you will. Welcome to America.
  • HipJipC 2012/09/24 04:27:52
    Agree
    HipJipC
    +3
    It makes sense. The cost of living today and the minimum wage are not comparative. Many people can barely keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. For many, owning a vehicle has become a luxury. For many, without a vehicle means a job or no job. So if we've gotten to the point where not many people can afford to own and maintain a vehicle it stands to reason there would be fewer automobile accidents ... and not being able to live under or at the poverty level is a good reason for many to commit suicide. But hey, our politicians can relate to us ... right?
  • Jayfeather 2012/09/24 04:10:13
    Agree
    Jayfeather
    The economy and the media can share the claim equally.
  • Lester 2012/09/24 03:30:53
    Disagree
    Lester
    If you actual read the link, you see that the study only used data from between 2000 and 2009. While the 2008 financial crash could possibly explain the 2009 numbers, hard to see why the economy would be a major factor for that entire decade. Also, since there wasn't any data for the past 2.5 years, it is unknown if the increase is still continuing.
  • burning... Lester 2012/09/24 04:41:31
    burningsnowman
    The jobs market the entire 2000s was horrible, we actually lost more jobs on net than we gained. There's a reason Bush had horrible approvals on the economy even when the country supposedly was "booming."
    http://www.businessweek.com/t...
  • Lester burning... 2012/09/24 16:49:09
    Lester
    Interesting statistics. Thanks.
  • ajracestables1 2012/09/24 03:24:06
    Agree
    ajracestables1
    I have mixed feelings about that. The economy is so bad and people cant get a job that pays even less than what they had before, the moral is way down across the country. But there are alot of car accidents and idiots on the road so I think more people get killed in car accidents than suicide. Suicide has gone up and car wrecks have gone down but I think the numbers will still put car accidents above. At least I hope so, suicide is a horrible thing and I wish people would never do that.
  • Sweet-N-Sour 2012/09/24 03:00:46
    Agree
    Sweet-N-Sour
    +2
    It's a contributing factor for sure but I don't think it is the defining one. There is a general decline in civility, empathy, respect for human life and love, just to name few things. None of us were made for this and some can't adjust to it. Pile on top of that not being able to make a living and it's more than some can take. We should not be surprised. There are far too many things wrong in our world today to pin it on any one thing.
  • Jeff Smith 2012/09/24 02:42:20
    Agree
    Jeff Smith
    +2
    In part but has anyone noticed the influx of perfectly healthy people who have gone against Obama's grain all of a sudden die of natural causes?
  • sean 2012/09/24 02:25:54
    Agree
    sean
    +1
    vietnam 58,000 died..68,000 commited suicide..because like the wars in the middle east and africa..they are immoral wars..and soldiers have killed in an immoral war..the soldiers lost there souls..they are now..an empty shell..the medication people are on..affect your brain..they know it..its to depopulate the planet.
  • Just me ♥ 2012/09/24 02:24:31
    Agree
    Just me ♥
    +1
    The decline in car accidents is probably related to people not being able to afford to drive as much as they use to due to gas prices. A few months ago, I had 2 different patients who came in and told me that their sons had committed suicide about 3 wks apart. They both cited the economy--loss of jobs, foreclosures, bankruptcy, etc. as the main factor. One of the victims left behind a wife with 3 little kids under the age of 8.
  • Rosalie 2012/09/24 02:15:20
    Agree
    Rosalie
    If I am not dead in 3 years I have to off myself or I will be homeless.
  • kofp 2012/09/24 02:11:43
    Agree
    kofp
    +4
    The quality of life in America is terrible as you can see from how people act and treat one another today.
  • sean kofp 2012/09/24 02:28:43
    sean
    +1
    most people are medicated..but your right Kofp..the people are divided..HAARP and the meds..both affecting the brain.
  • Mat 2012/09/24 01:53:48 (edited)
    Agree
    Mat
    Definitely a contributing factor. People are under incredible financial stress causing the worst case scenarios; divorce, increase in alcoholism, child abuse, animal abuse, spousal abuse and murder, mayhem and... Thank you incompetent Islamic Marxist president, incompetent do nothing congress, and government that does not work for the people. Hang on, because the ride will become a whole lot worse. Obamacare is beginning to help create the worst economic tsunami in US history. In short, the middle class no longer exists. Our health care is going to kill 10s of thousands.

Your government is preparing for major civil unrest and the U.S. Army is training to kill, not just shoot over our heads. Don't believe, then google.... A U.S Army, Ft Belvoir active duty MP brigade was designated for civil unrest training other is replicating that training at other military posts and military police units. Ditto for the National Guard.... This is disguised or masked as training for natural disasters. Give me a break!

DHS and US Military Make Final Preparations Before Announcing ...
    www.infowars.com/dhs-and-us-m...
    Aug 8, 2012 – If there were problems concerning potential civil unrest, he was to radio into ... cluster bomb units (CBUs) that will emit upon detonation, a “sleep and kil...

www.infowars.com/dhs-and-us-m...
    Aug 8, 2012 – If there were problems concerning potential civil unrest, he was to radio into ... cluster bomb units (CBUs) that will emit upon detonation, a “sleep and kill” ... by way of caves and other areas where people could possibly “hide out in ... he and his party were met by what appeared to be a military police officer ...

Army Manual Outlines Plan To Kill Rioters In America!! - YouTube
    www.youtube.com/watch?

Jul 6, 2012 - 2 min - Uploaded by Qronos16
    A newly leaked US Army Military Police training manual for "Civil ... firearms and even kill Americans on U.S ...

More videos for Shoot to kill Army manual training of MP and ... »

DHS To Purchase Another 750 Million Rounds Of Ammo
    truthbroadcastnetwork.com/......

Aug 16, 2012 – The PDF file for the solicitation lists the different units of ammo ... A recently leaked US Army Military Police training manual for “Civil ... and even kill Americans on U.S. soil during mass civil unrest. ..... Wisconsin Sikh Shoot

[PDF]
    MILITARY POLICE LEADERS' HANDBOOK - Army Electronic ...
    armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR...

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat

Active Army, Army National Guard, and US Army Reserve: To be distributed in ... General Dennis J. Reimer Training. And Doctrine ... 2-26. Chapter 3. SHOOT, MOVE, AND COMMUNICATE ................ 3-1. Shoot . ..... This field manual (FM) addresses military police (MP) maneuver ..... Civil unrest or complete turmoil normally ...

DHS prepares for civil unrest
    www.waterfowlforum.net/viewto...

Jul 30, 2012 – The preparations that DHS and FPS are making for civil unrest may be tied to ... the reallocation of hundreds of military police officers being trained to ... Save a salmonid, shoot a sawbill! ... The Reserve and Guard units can assist, though. ... My grandfather just told me the other night that he hasn't seen a ...

The Assault On 2nd Amendment Precursor To Martial Law In America
    www.alt-market.com/.../942-th...

Aug 1, 2012 – The US Army Military Police Training manual specifies for “Civil Disturbance ... The purpose of these patrol units was to aid “with civil unrest and crowd ... support of civil authorities” under NORTHCOM and other commands including ... individuals without killing them” will be part of the control measures, ...

[PDF]

Commandant's Corner - AMSC

www.amsc.belvoir.army.mil/new...
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML

ing of stories acts as a mental training simulator that prepares us to respond more ... to be in a constant state of “mental unrest and disturbance” and not give up. ... http://www.amsc.belvoir.army.... ... During the Civil War, General Robert E. Lee, arguably one ... John Gregg, commander of the southern Texas Brigade, arrived ...

MyBaseGuide.com | MILITARY | FT CARSON | Units
    www.mybaseguide.com/article/m...
    Upon redeployment to Fort Hood in December 2006, the brigade immediately started training for future missions. On April 8, 2008, the 2nd BCT, 2nd Inf. Div.
  • D.C. Wi... Mat 2012/09/24 02:30:23
    D.C. Willis
    +2
    I am a Vet. M.P. and we have trained for civil unrest for at least the last twenty years. The Military Police Corp. is there to assist, protect and defend. They are not there to shoot innocent civilians or anything of that nature.

The U.S. Army (at the time I went through training) hounded us hard and told us daily that if we were going to police the best, we had to better then them. So yes, M.P.'s know how to shoot move and communicate. Most of my Drill Instructors were Rangers except for one the was S.F. and one that was M.P.. This does not mean they are going to do what you think.
  • lark D.C. Wi... 2012/09/24 02:39:17
    lark
    He will use the UN
  • D.C. Wi... lark 2012/09/24 02:41:27
    D.C. Willis
    +2
    It is not going to happen, mark my words.
  • lark D.C. Wi... 2012/09/24 03:05:23
    lark
    +1
    I pray you are right.
  • Centuri... D.C. Wi... 2012/09/24 03:06:14
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    These guys are the ones we would do well to keep an eye out for.

https://hotforeignaffairs.fil...
  • Centuri... D.C. Wi... 2012/09/24 03:04:37
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I served in Air Force Security Police from 40 till 30 years ago. We trained for civil unrest as well.

Minimum force was the rule.

I doubt that U.S. Military will fire on U.S. Civilians.

U.N. Troops, I would not trust them. They would do well to beware of patriots as well. Is it true that if the situation gets too out of control, obama has a battalion of U.N. Blue Helmets designated to back up the Secret Service?

http://www.joebrower.com/PHIL...
  • D.C. Wi... Centuri... 2012/09/24 03:16:07
    D.C. Willis
    +1
    I have confidence in our military and I know they do not like taking orders from NATO or U.N. Commanders, I have experienced this first hand. You want to piss of the U.S. Military? Stick a bunch of blue hat foreign soldiers on our soil. That will not fly.
  • Centuri... D.C. Wi... 2012/09/24 14:59:57
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Hurra!
  • James Rowntree 2012/09/24 01:51:59
    Agree
    James Rowntree
    +2
    Partly. But its not just the bad economy. Man does not live by bread alone...material things are not enough. We live in a society that is collapsing after rejecting God. Many have no hope and are just existing, with no future in sight. Without Christ, life has no meaning, no hope beyond enjoying today because there is nothing ahead but a cold grave waiting for us.
  • Tim Upham 2012/09/24 01:50:33
    Agree
    Tim Upham
    +2
    Suicide rates have increased in both Greece and Spain as well.
  • Centuri... Tim Upham 2012/09/24 03:07:00
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    The economy is going to hell in all three countries.
  • lark 2012/09/24 01:39:42
    Agree
    lark
    +1
    opportunities not available homes lost people back from war with horrors inside of them Christians put down for praying, hope is so far off, is it a surprise that people just can't deal with it any longer
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/09/24 01:33:26
    Agree
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +2
    People without work and money do desperate things.
  • Larre 2012/09/24 01:25:44
    Agree
    Larre
    +2
    Indeed.. Things are pretty bad right now opportunity wise. Even I has had thoughts of suicide because of the craziness and the stress associated with the economy.
  • sean Larre 2012/09/24 02:37:15
    sean
    +1
    take a long walk and clear your mind..and never ever give up hope..things are going to get worse..don't fear..we need to band together..that is our strength.

2014/09/30 11:58:27