Study: Brain Objectifies Women as Body Parts, Men as Whole: Is Objectifying Women Natural?

Daryl 2012/07/26 20:37:15

STLOUIS.CBSLOCAL.COM reports:
A recent study finds that our brain objectifies women as different body parts, while viewing men as a whole.
women body parts viewing news sports weather traffic louis spots

Read More: http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/07/26/study-brain...

• morris44 2012/07/26 20:58:05
    morris44
    +47
    Processing something as an object (body parts) is not the same thing as the act of objectifying women.

Our brain also sees animals as food. But we are able to refrain from eating our cat.

Men can (and should) act right toward women.

• joe mauro Ted 2012/08/31 19:10:58
    joe mauro
    bravo
  • cestmonopinion 2012/07/31 05:44:48
    cestmonopinion
    +4
    We live in a male-dominated and centered world where women are not seen as full human beings in the way men are, but as sex objects, mothers or grandmothers. When that changes, objectifying women will end.
  • Steveth... cestmon... 2012/08/06 08:20:56
    Stevethinks
    +2
    And so will civilization.
  • joe mauro cestmon... 2012/08/31 19:12:26
    joe mauro
    is that why in the usa women control most of the wealth and live longer than men?hmmmmmnnnnn
  • CandyMonster 2012/07/30 23:11:26 (edited)
    CandyMonster
    +3
    But I do the same thing with guys too. I can't focus on the entire body, I don't stare at their personal areas, just parts of their face.
  • Dawn 2012/07/30 19:06:26
    Dawn
    +1
    Objectifying a model is natural and perfectly acceptable. Objectifying a lawyer or a doctor unless they're wearing something provocative is neither, male or female.
  • joe mauro Dawn 2012/08/31 19:18:11
    joe mauro
    i have objectified many doctors and nurses in life,some reacted samely some did not but none were offended! Well maybe that was because i had health insurance then.
  • Dawn joe mauro 2012/09/04 19:27:19
    Dawn
    Well do you just disregard a female's professional advice or opinion because she's female? Because that's wrong but thinking someone's attractive and flirting with them is fine.
  • joe mauro Dawn 2012/09/04 22:20:24
    joe mauro
    of course not!
  • Dawn joe mauro 2012/09/05 19:12:16
    Dawn
    See what my definition of objectifying a woman is that she can't do anything outside of sex and baby making. A lot of people still think about women like that so I just had to ask; also I gotta say I think most woman overreact to men merely admiring them.
  • joe mauro Dawn 2012/09/06 02:32:17
    joe mauro
    i never said that,i just said its natural to think of sex
  • Dawn joe mauro 2012/09/06 23:00:22
    Dawn
    +1
    Yeah I think I sounded a little harsher than a meant to, sorry lol.
  • joe mauro Dawn 2012/09/07 05:12:00
    joe mauro
    its all good thanks.We all need to vent,i just do not want to make you angry,unless of course you are a politician!
  • Dawn joe mauro 2012/09/07 18:55:31
    Dawn
    +1
    Lol I hear that :)
  • IAmMoreAwesomeThanU 2012/07/30 19:01:31 (edited)
    IAmMoreAwesomeThanU
    +3
    Seems pretty true. However, I WAS distracted by the bikini model's nice lady parts...
  • Groundskeeper Willy 2012/07/30 17:24:17
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +3
    Seriously, ugly women tend to be narcissistic and insecure, and see attractive women as an affront to their petty pitiful life. :-)
  • Steveth... Grounds... 2012/08/05 20:52:53
    Stevethinks
    +2
    Hey, careful, ugly is not nice and unnecessary. How about normal women? Thanks.
  • joe mauro Steveth... 2012/08/31 19:20:42
    joe mauro
    +1
    all women are sexy,some are just more attractive than others
  • Steveth... joe mauro 2012/08/31 21:55:39 (edited)
    Stevethinks
    O absolutely. It's only the pretty one's egos that programs that into us. Physical appearance is relative. I was married to a pretty, plain, normal-looking woman who kept in fairly good physical condition for 30-years. Her sexiness got me to do some very, strange things.
  • joe mauro Steveth... 2012/08/31 22:15:21
    joe mauro
    +1
    i hear that
  • Steveth... joe mauro 2012/09/01 01:32:20
  • joe mauro Steveth... 2012/09/01 06:18:46
    joe mauro
    +1
    thats true for with many women like that ,the dumb boy friend is the last to know how stupid he acts and reacts when she is around other guys!
  • Steveth... joe mauro 2012/09/01 10:55:42
    Stevethinks
    +1
    The older I get the more I believe that everything has a price. There has never been or will never be free sex. Everyone pays!
  • Hannah1... Grounds... 2012/08/08 18:57:28
    Hannah102199
    +1
    not necessarily... What about Jo Brand or Dawn French? I'm not saying that they can't be seen for their body parts i'm just saying why would a man want to see women like them as body parts? When they're personalities and humour is much more appealing than their body parts? I objectify men because i love the male body but only if it's an attractive man! This however has no affect on my taste in men... I love personality but if i was to judge a man for his body parts it would have to be a sexy man! otherwise i will let his personality make him sexy and the same goes to how i would want men to see me. When i go out i won't really have anything other than my arms and legs out. I don't mind if men admire me because i think its humerous and even though us girls moan about it we would hate it even more if men didn't admire us! However I like to rely on my personality when i'm trying to get male attention and it usually works. The amount of guys who have told me i'm really cool and attractive because i'm not vein etc etc. Maybs they were just trying to get into my knickers lollll. But generally because i don't get my female parts out and rely on them to be noticed, i get noticed because of other things for example my sense of humour and personality. I'm not ugly or fat or anything so ...
    not necessarily... What about Jo Brand or Dawn French? I'm not saying that they can't be seen for their body parts i'm just saying why would a man want to see women like them as body parts? When they're personalities and humour is much more appealing than their body parts? I objectify men because i love the male body but only if it's an attractive man! This however has no affect on my taste in men... I love personality but if i was to judge a man for his body parts it would have to be a sexy man! otherwise i will let his personality make him sexy and the same goes to how i would want men to see me. When i go out i won't really have anything other than my arms and legs out. I don't mind if men admire me because i think its humerous and even though us girls moan about it we would hate it even more if men didn't admire us! However I like to rely on my personality when i'm trying to get male attention and it usually works. The amount of guys who have told me i'm really cool and attractive because i'm not vein etc etc. Maybs they were just trying to get into my knickers lollll. But generally because i don't get my female parts out and rely on them to be noticed, i get noticed because of other things for example my sense of humour and personality. I'm not ugly or fat or anything so maybe if i was and still got male attention then maybe it would be a more accurate account for proving this wrong. But i have friends far more beautiful than i am but i manage to get the most male attention. I think most probably because i'm not desperate. But you can't tell whether a woman is desperate or not by looking at her body parts. That's a much more psychology thing that men see when they look at women. This can't be true. Sure men appreciate the female body but that's not all they see.
  • PFV 2012/07/30 14:54:04
    PFV
    +5
    I'd like to think the worst of myself is beyond my control. Women objectify men just as much without realizing it. Men and women both just need to get over this man vs woman thing. Neither can exist without the other.
  • Steveth... PFV 2012/08/06 08:26:58
    Stevethinks
    +1
    If women don't objectify men, then what's with this stripper guys I see all over our site; that new movie. Have any of you girls been to see it? OK That's enough; women really need to stop objectifying men! We've just about had enough of being treated in this way.
  • Tre 2012/07/30 14:23:50
    Tre
    +3
    Yes, men have no choice but to see women in sections. Something will always stand out whether it is a big tail, big breasts, a cute face....or if you lack none of that.
  • wgossett99 2012/07/30 14:01:35
    wgossett99
    +2
    Sad but true. One of my wife's best friends is pretty, witty and fun to be with. But my first thought about her is her great boobs. With my beauty contest winner stepdaughter, it's her gorgeous face.
  • Claire Emile 2012/07/30 06:58:16
    Claire Emile
    Of course it is.
  • VenomHalos 2012/07/30 05:53:38
    VenomHalos
    +1
    Who came up with this, Henry VIII?
  • Steveth... VenomHalos 2012/08/06 08:29:17
    Stevethinks
    +1
    No, but isn't it fun? Don't tell me your not having fun. And don't tell me you're not enjoying all this attention.
  • VenomHalos Steveth... 2012/08/08 03:23:48
    VenomHalos
    .......What?
  • bt sedlock 2012/07/30 05:28:25
    bt sedlock
    +3
    Of course it's natural. Do people actually think that women don't objecitify men as body parts?
  • Dina 2012/07/29 22:17:20 (edited)
    Dina
    +2
    NO, objectifying women OR men is a cultural thing. It's by no means natural. Unlike men, women are constantly targeted to take care of their appearance by using makeup, certain clothing, and stuff (just look at all the choices women have for dressing, cosmetics, shoes, etc. as compared to men.) I think it has all to do with the ancestral perception that we have been dragging to date that a woman's value depends on her looks as she was seen as incapable of providing for the family. Men are not seen this way, as historically, most known cultures have just asked them to be providers so that taking care about their physical appearance was never a priority as in the case of women. In fact, those men who DO care about their looks are seen as "too gay" even to date or become metrosexuals that ARE objectified.

It happens to both men and women, when we are mesmerized by someone's appearance, all we do is admire their superficial beauty as it can be very captivating. It has happened to me in both ways, the giving and the receiving end. When I'm looking "too sexy," men seem to can't help themselves but look at me as some scoring target, but when I haven't paid too much care to my looks, they actually seem to want to get to know the person behind the looks. And this has happened to me wit...

It happens to both men and women, when we are mesmerized by someone's appearance, all we do is admire their superficial beauty as it can be very captivating. It has happened to me in both ways, the giving and the receiving end. When I'm looking "too sexy," men seem to can't help themselves but look at me as some scoring target, but when I haven't paid too much care to my looks, they actually seem to want to get to know the person behind the looks. And this has happened to me with men too. When I see they are tooo hot/attractive, I can't care less who they are as people; all I do is stare at them for their physical beauty, yet, when I meet a guy who's more of the regular type, I actually get interested as him as a person.
  • dman4u2 Dina 2012/07/30 02:02:24
    dman4u2
    +3
    I agree with most of your view, however i see women as perpetuating alot of this beauty over quality thing, the greater majority of my life i have seen women panic and act like their life was going to end over frizzy hair or a broken nail or a pimple my point isnt the diffrences its the fact that these minor issues are treated as large ones and instilled in their minds.
    this nonsense is programmed into women when they are very young, their mothers and cultural influences are partially to blame however i believe that its how you are raised that determines your level of obsession with appearances, for instance i look 12 years older than i really am and i accept it as for seeing women as objects i do not however i find out the hard way that alot of women can be rather nasty (rude) when you attempt to even greet them on the streets and this makes me feel like im very unattractive although my fiancee assures me that i am not.

we as a whole both male and female need to make changes in our culture and cut down the importance of appearance and to place more importance on actual skills, and attributes such as personality, intelligence, loyalty, honor, and most important of all determination.
  • Dina dman4u2 2012/07/30 15:07:53 (edited)
    Dina
    The thing is, most people, women and men, follow whatever society places a value on, it's true. Most people really don't question what they are doing and why they are doing it; 7 out of 10 times I think, they just want to fit in. So, if society says you ought to be feminine and delicate to be a "true woman", and you care too much about fitting in, you'll go nuts over frizzy hair or a broken nail as your perceived value will depend on things like that. Same with careers, if society places such a high value on the highest paying careers, most people will flock to try to achieve a "high" position in society by choosing those careers and will think of themselves as very smart if they do it, while seeing those who choose non-conventional careers as low achieving. Some even suicide when they are unable to meet their desired goal. It's the same with men. For example, if society places a high value on your manliness, and you care too much about fitting in, you'll think it twice before wearing a pink shirt and will always feel pushed to show how "strong" you are as being weak is a no-no for men according to society, and so on. And there are thousands of other examples. So, I think it all comes down as to as followers instead of being truly independent thinkers. As members of society, m...

The thing is, most people, women and men, follow whatever society places a value on, it's true. Most people really don't question what they are doing and why they are doing it; 7 out of 10 times I think, they just want to fit in. So, if society says you ought to be feminine and delicate to be a "true woman", and you care too much about fitting in, you'll go nuts over frizzy hair or a broken nail as your perceived value will depend on things like that. Same with careers, if society places such a high value on the highest paying careers, most people will flock to try to achieve a "high" position in society by choosing those careers and will think of themselves as very smart if they do it, while seeing those who choose non-conventional careers as low achieving. Some even suicide when they are unable to meet their desired goal. It's the same with men. For example, if society places a high value on your manliness, and you care too much about fitting in, you'll think it twice before wearing a pink shirt and will always feel pushed to show how "strong" you are as being weak is a no-no for men according to society, and so on. And there are thousands of other examples. So, I think it all comes down as to as followers instead of being truly independent thinkers. As members of society, most people just want to fit in and rarely question the whys of their own actions and why some things are perceived as important in society, and so, they just go with the flow.

And about your trying to greet women on the streets, you see their response as nasty, but they are on the defensive due to past experience. Have you stopped to think how tiring it is for an average and above average women in the looks department, to be constantly approached by strangers, who wouldn't even dare to pay any attention to them in their "bad" days? Well, in most cases that holds true. When you look good, people are nice to you and love to greet/talk to you, but when you are in your "bad" days, albeit for those who really like you, these same people either ignore you or are just plain nasty to you. So, regardless of the intentions of the person in question, women who have gone through this, learn to see people who randomly approach them as shallow, so they want little to do with them unless they feel otherwise.
  • joe mauro Dina 2012/08/31 19:25:07
    joe mauro
    when a man wakes up with an erection it has nothing to do with what culture his penis is in its natural!
  • bt sedlock Dina 2012/07/30 05:36:08
    bt sedlock
    +1
    Isn't only natural for a man or a boy to be attracted to a beautiful and sexy woman or girl and vice versa?
  • Dina bt sedlock 2012/07/30 15:24:44 (edited)
    Dina
    I think we are not necessarily attracted to those we personally/culturally consider as "beautiful" people. I mean, we can acknowledge someone's beauty and still not be attracted to them (as when admiring a beautiful painting,) so I wouldn't say we are naturally (as in a natural response with no cultural influence at all) attracted to sexy and beautiful. We might be programmed to give them so attention though, as their perceived beauty can be engaging and draw our admiration. However, I think actual attraction has more to do with chemistry, so you can be in front of a "regular" person and find something that inevitably attracts you to them and not the "beautiful" person next to them.
  • bt sedlock Dina 2012/08/03 05:28:02
    bt sedlock
    +1
    I guess so. But I'm still very attracted to pretty, beautiful and sexy women that I see everyday or on television.

2014/08/30 02:37:33