Studies Say Facebook Is Bad for Your Mental Health: Agree or Disagree?

Facebook's IPO filing is all the buzz in the business world right now, but even as investors are getting rich off the social networking site, users may be feeling worse about themselves now more than ever. According to three new studies, Facebook can be hard on a person's mental health, allowing you to compare your "friends" and "status" with others, LiveScience reports.

And while you might feel jealous of your pal with 500 "friends," having a lot of Facebook friends is linked to feeling worse about your own life. Mudra Mukesh, a doctoral candidate in marketing at the Instituto de Empresa in Madrid, said reading other people's status updates makes people feel worse rather than entertained or connected. In her own study, those who had 354 friends or more felt badly after reading other people's status updates.

In another study, researchers at the University of Houston found that time spent on Facebook was linked to depressive symptoms among college students, especially for young men. Kind of scary, seeing as Facebook has more than 845 million active users. That's a whole lot of people feeling badly about themselves. Here's our trick: Only be "friends" with people who are actually your friends. Does using Facebook make you feel better or worse?

• The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/02/08 23:01:57
    Agree!
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +12
    There should be an undecided option. But I have seen people lose their minds over something that has happened on Face Book. On the other hand, if You let a Website dictate your sanity, It was a matter of time before you snapped anyway. Once you completely lose it...
    Sign up for Soda Head, answer only political questions, and You'll feel right at home.
    Crazy Person in Straight Jacket

• JAA 2012/03/11 19:28:25 (edited)
    Agree!
    JAA
    I started on Facebook only as a means to communicate with my daughter & her friends overseas while she's in the military. The pictures are easier to access, & she can give everyone that is close to her a run-down on how things are going.

It is mind-boggling the things people post on Facebook, stuff that verifies w/ me daily why I choose not to have many friends. People don't seem to have lives, or they're so boring, who cares? Stuff like: "I went to the pot this morning & blew out a big fart", or "Got my paycheck today, what to do, what to do", or "I got kicked out of a damned handicap space today! I was only gonna park for a second!". It would be enough to drive the most sane over the edge!!

Then there's the incessant & childish games!! People searching for someone to given them a chicken for their farm, or some such nonsense!! And kids no longer know how to write without code & half-spelled words! If this is what is being allowed, no wonder other countries think Americans are village idiots!!
  • Paul White JAA 2013/08/06 14:26:20
    Paul White
    +3
    i think you have nailed it right there in two paragraphs - i have unfriended so many old school friends because of the absolute junk they were writing. I only joined fb because of the craze about it years ago but its just become an advertisement dumping ground. good work JAA
  • Sonic_Nurse 2012/02/18 15:51:31
    Disagree!
    Sonic_Nurse
    People with symptoms of depression and anxiety have reduced energy and drive but retain the same need for human interaction. They are going to spend longer at home and on the internet for these reasons. This is why it appears that facebook is linked to depression. The authors of this research are either idiots or journalists.
  • IsabellaMarieSweetHeart 2012/02/17 18:57:25
    Agree!
    IsabellaMarieSweetHeart
    I use facebook 24/7 lol and its bad for your brains
  • idk 2012/02/16 22:47:19
    Agree!
    idk
    i never liked facebook and still dont
  • lidebide 2012/02/13 15:37:02
    Agree!
    lidebide
    i dont like facebook but im still on it... its confusing...
  • Nekogirl 2012/02/12 10:12:32
    Disagree!
    Nekogirl
    first of all, it depends of how much time you spend on facebook, I have some friends that when they enter to facebook they are like hipnotized, and yes, a friend feels depressed because her boyfriend status, but I dont feel like that in face, well, I think everyone is different
  • Missydynamite 2012/02/11 18:58:01
    Disagree!
    Missydynamite
    It depends, how much time jou spend on IT!
  • ramza.kizza 2012/02/11 12:35:26
    Disagree!
    ramza.kizza
    I DONT BELIEVE THAT.
  • rebecca ramza.k... 2012/03/07 03:12:53
    rebecca
    thank you
  • Silvy 2012/02/10 19:25:14
    Disagree!
    Silvy
  • Mark 2012/02/10 14:36:18
    Disagree!
    Mark
    +1
    Actually studies have shown the opposite .
  • peter.g.mackie 2012/02/10 12:41:11
    Agree!
    peter.g.mackie
    Anything may be bad if you spend too much time on it, including the Internet in general. I would say that online porn is the greatest danger to the mental health and sexual life of young poeple on the planet at the moment.
  • Chaoskingsxz 2012/02/10 11:28:01
    Disagree!
    Chaoskingsxz
    As long as you do not try to make Facebook your-life.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/02/10 04:57:40
    Disagree!
    nothingbutthetruth
    The person who found Facebook is bad for one's mental health had already come face to face with their own mental illusion.
  • chrissy 2012/02/09 23:38:04
    Disagree!
    chrissy
    actually, its probably better on facebook than in person sometimes because people are gonna have ups and downs if they even have drama, and on facebook its easier for you to stand up for yourself instead of letting people see you upset whenever someone says bad things about you to your face. and sometimes it keeps people from doing impulsive, irrational things to enemies as well, like it could stop fights from happening.
  • JJ 2012/02/09 21:30:04
    Disagree!
    JJ
    The only way it can do that is if you let it. Facebook and even SodaHead can be used for positive info and making new friends that think like you. We all have hang-ups, but there are positive, very out going folks out there as well. If cyberspace, a machine, computer, etc make you feel bad, its only because you let it. You can get upset inside about some things that are on these type sites as somethings you feel are justified, but other things such as jealousy or vanity, etc are things you can step away from .
  • scarlett 2012/02/09 20:58:40 (edited)
    Agree!
    scarlett
    but in a way its like watching a car crash happen and your part of it and you cant stop it..because Lord knows its not going away.. its being built up and improved constantly. 71% of americans are on facebook, 500,000,000 ppl world wide,57% of people talk to people more online than they do in person... so if someone if some one isnt on there, theyre weird... and its very hard for people to moderate, theres no get on for 15 mins done.. 15 mins turns into hours ...
    facebook obsession
  • Ghostie Of the Night 2012/02/09 20:37:59
    Agree!
    Ghostie Of the Night
    It sucks!
  • Undead Little Red 2012/02/09 20:33:57
    Disagree!
    Undead Little Red
    All the people on my FB are dates, family, school chums and ONE ex (and its one im on good terms with). If they annoy me or for whatever reason we're not getting along I unfriend. It's rare I'll add someone random, fb is only depressing if you let it be. Same way it only ruins relationships if you let it. People need to learn to have a thicker skin about some things or learn to let some things go.
  • Alex♥Adam 2012/02/09 20:27:14
    Disagree!
    Alex♥Adam
    +1
    Well nothing has happened to me by using FaceBook :P
    I guess it depends :P Only geniuses with an IQ of 60 can lose their mind over it. I use Twitter and other socialnetworking sites too,still no effect. :P
    It all depends on the mind of the individual person ,duh -_-
  • muslim 2012/02/09 20:21:42
    Agree!
    muslim
    True .. you should organize time so I can read the Koran Open it any more  The Qur an  or your Facebook
  • Flamingolady 2012/02/09 20:16:52
    Disagree!
    Flamingolady
    +3
    I love being able to keep up with my high school buddies from 46 years ago! And I joined groups, etc. I think it is almost as good as Sodahead. Pictures of old lady on computer
  • erin_cobo 2012/02/09 19:55:29
    Agree!
    erin_cobo
    +1
    TWITTER is were its at! ;)
  • Ghostie... erin_cobo 2012/02/09 20:44:09
    Ghostie Of the Night
    Nah, I think it sucks too! :P
    I mean I can't see any point why I should have a twitter!

twitter nobody cares what you re doing
  • Sasuke the Avenger 2012/02/09 19:49:31
  • Robbb 2012/02/09 19:26:45
    Agree!
    Robbb
    This is a mindles form of entertainment I have chosen to stay right away from. I have better way of wasting my time. and I like some integrity in my life. I have but a few "real" friends, but I know them And what I know about them is what they chose to tell me. I am happy to leave it at that.
  • SunshineSprinkles 2012/02/09 19:13:47
    Agree!
    SunshineSprinkles
    Facebook mostly insults the intelligence -.-''
  • Emily_Amnesia 2012/02/09 18:57:52
    Agree!
    Emily_Amnesia
    yes. but i couldnt live without it.
  • TopShelf® (oyo) 2012/02/09 18:42:31
    Agree!
    TopShelf® (oyo)

i'll never be a part of that madness.sodahead is no different, which is why I spend so little time here.
  • Chad 2012/02/09 18:40:35
  • Wonder Woman 2012/02/09 18:22:42
  • Brian 2012/02/09 18:09:07 (edited)
    Disagree!
    Brian
    Facebook itself is not the problem. I just think people have a hard time denying friend requests and deleting people. Mass self-promotion is unhealthy. I went from 250 friends to 40 friends a couple years ago, and I couldn't be happier with the decision. It used to stress me out; now I rarely think about it. I know people who deleted their accounts for similar reasons, but I don't think that's necessary.
  • joe mauro 2012/02/09 17:55:57
    Disagree!
    joe mauro
    abuse of facebook is! If used in moderation its agood thing
  • FatherLiberty 2012/02/09 17:41:03
    Agree!
    FatherLiberty
    +3
    Our entire society is bad for your mental health.
  • RoseyRhod 2012/02/09 17:37:44
    Agree!
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    Social media in general is kind of bad for our mental health, at least from my personal experience, but I had a particularly horrific time with Facebook. I am not very social media savvy but had sent out a mass message (Spam, I guess, but I don't do it very often) to all of my "friends" on Facebook to let them know about the page that I created. What the hell, I'll pimp it out--it's still there, but I'm not the one that contributes to it most of the time. A couple of friends play watchdog over it.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages...
    Anyway, this guy had been messaging me wanting to have some sort of cyber romance (groan) and I messaged him back that I wasn't interested in romance. Unfortunately I ended up messaging everyone else too. And instead of having a laugh and saying "hey do you know you just messaged everyone?" or politely inquiring why I would say that, I was attacked. It really put me off of Facebook.
    I also encountered backstabbing in general from blogging and really have not done much of it since. All in all social networking has been pretty off--putting for me, but Facebook was by far the worst. It is like a junior high clique.
  • joe mauro RoseyRhod 2012/02/09 18:00:22
    joe mauro
    well said,one problem i see is that people in general want as many friends as possible i think thats a huge mistake,are we really friends with people we have never met thats where i draw the line dont know em they are not allowed in.Also ther are people i know who really dont like me have lied to my face and others before and then asked to be my friend they are the ones you really must watch
  • thetacat 2012/02/09 17:36:17
    Disagree!
    thetacat
    +1
    That's not to say I don't think it;s a bad thing. It's really affected a lot of people's communication skills in a negative way.
  • Algore Isanass 2012/02/09 17:35:22
    Disagree!
    Algore  Isanass
    +1
    Like any other tool, it's all in how you use it. Pick your "friends" carefully. I know people who post positive, uplifting messages that do make me feel better when I read them. Others inspire me with thought. The nasty arguments, I simply avoid - I get enough of those here.
  • joe mauro Algore ... 2012/02/09 18:01:43
    joe mauro
    ditto,also if you feel you are being decieved you are

2014/10/01 00:17:10