Stealing is immoral, right? But what if stealing was the only way to feed a starving child?

jt 2011/05/25 05:40:10
Related Topics: Starving
If I say, here in this case, end justifies the means? jt

• holdenferall 2011/05/25 05:44:25 (edited)
    holdenferall
    +4
    You gotta do what you gotta do.

Of course, the "only way" is a very, very, very far way down a road you should've already turned around on.

• ReasonOverFaith BN - 0 2011/05/27 17:50:28
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    Moral absolutes like "stealing is immoral" only hinder human progress. Of course there are scenarios where stealing is moral (example you cited). "Lying is immoral." Well, not always. In fact there are some scenarios where NOT lying is immoral. If you were hiding Jews, and the nazis came to your door and asked you if you were hiding Jews, it would be absolutely immoral NOT to lie to them.
  • Ifemi 2011/05/26 05:22:11
    Ifemi
    +1
    I would not steal money from someone but if my babies (5 & 7) needed food I sure would take food from the store to feed them.
  • Scooter 2011/05/26 04:13:13
    Scooter
    +1
    I would do whatever it took to feed my child if he was starving.
  • Stormy 2011/05/26 03:41:12
    Stormy
    +1
    Who is the food being stolen from? Will it only cause another child to starve?
  • angel 2011/05/25 23:28:48
    angel
    +1
    Well i'm sure a lot of people don't like to steal but if it's for a child that's starving then it's for a child that's starving but let's all hope we never have to come to that option
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/05/25 20:57:40
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    There is always a hypothetical situation for EVERYTHING. If you are married; would you wish to have your brother go blind so that your spouse could live? Now, can you truthfully answer that one?
  • NhytFahl 2011/05/25 18:00:53
    NhytFahl
    +1
    Even if the end result is to feed a starving child, it still requires the initiation of force against another, and is therefore immoral.
  • Inge 2011/05/25 17:20:34
    Inge
    +2
    I'd do it, but only from people who are floating in cash and wouldn't do anything with it anyway. I know a guy like that. He's absolutely loaded yet he's one of the greediest people I ever met.
  • slim8961 2011/05/25 16:27:15
    slim8961
    +2
    You do what you have to for your kids
  • patriot 2011/05/25 14:36:10
    patriot
    +1
    There are other ways. Stealing is wrong. There isn't a true church in this country that wouldn't help.
  • wombat 2011/05/25 14:32:18 (edited)
    wombat
    +1
    Actually steeling is a business like any other. The reason: Agreement under false promises is legal and common.
  • The Winter Sodahead 2011/05/25 13:26:03
  • ruthyartist 2011/05/25 13:21:45
    ruthyartist
    +1
    I say, do what you got to do to survive.
  • Huki68 2011/05/25 12:59:34
    Huki68
    +2
    I will do it if that is the only resource to feed my child,

I will work for free food
    I will beg for food for my kids
    I would steal for food if that was the last thing left

I am a Mother, I will never let my kids starve, but I will try to do my best not too, because I don't believe in stealing, yet in this cirscustances yes I will steal to feed my kids.
  • Whowho 2011/05/25 12:58:10
    Whowho
    +2
    Well lets hope the states don't come to that . But if it does ill be out there doing what ever it takes to feed my boy
  • G 2011/05/25 12:09:52
    G
    +1
    Steal anyway. You never know when you'll need that stuff.
  • elijahin24 2011/05/25 11:39:18
    elijahin24
    +1
    "I know the meaning of those ninteen years,
    a slave
    of the law!"
  • ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠ 2011/05/25 11:35:26
    ☠ Live Free Or Die ☠
    +1
    Sure. Steal from somebody who has too much food and was probably just going to throw most of it out anyway, if you absolutely haven other options.
  • Ljilja 2011/05/25 10:53:00
    Ljilja
    +2
    Life of a child comes first
  • Daniel 2011/05/25 10:32:20
    Daniel
    +2
    That's why we give Food Stamps. Sorry but there's no excuse to steal.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2011/05/25 09:43:04 (edited)
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +2
    Stealing is a last resort to feed your starving child. When buying cheap food and making meals that can be stretched out fails, when working more fails, when asking for help from family and friends fails, when asking for help from the church and other avenues of public/private help fails, when selling all your possesions fails, when hunting and fishing fails (if you are in an area where you can hunt or fish that is), when growing your food fails (if you are in an area where you can grow your food), when begging fails; then you've finally burnt all your options and stealing to feed your child is finally the last resort reached.
  • lยภค☾ 2011/05/25 09:07:17
    lยภค☾
    +2
    Feed the child I say. Steal from someone who has too much for themselves. Sure, stealing is wrong, but if this is a life or death matter...
  • Paradox25 2011/05/25 06:52:23
    Paradox25
    +2
    There are other ways to help others without hurting others, always (I would hope).
  • Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2011/05/25 06:41:11
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +2
    Sometimes people have some hard luck, usualy these people have some freinds or family that will help them thru tough times. If stealing is the only way someone has to take care of a child, they probably shouldn't be having kids. They could break the kids ankles and put them on the street to beg. They could sell the kid on the black market. These are the things irresponsible parents do around the world, all to feed that poor starving child. Give me a break!
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/05/25 06:11:09
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    There is a flaw with this question. How far is it to the closest church or food bank and what time of day are they doing it. There would be no need for any of it if they have the ability to go to either one of them. Those places usually do not require anyone to show proof of income or anything else Hell sometimes someones there to give them money on top of what they need. Its all in how much they have ventured out into their community that have what they need. 9 times out 10 if their doors are locked someone has a number up on a board somewhere to call. (obama has a phone program where phones are given out with minute on them already.) Only after all that can go along with stealing anything.
  • Hollie 2011/05/25 06:02:15
    Hollie
    +2
    Sometimes you have to do what is needed to make ends meet.. but I would hope that you could go to a food bank or some other alternative before having the necessity to steal.
  • NidStyles 2011/05/25 05:57:02
    NidStyles
    +1
    It would be better if you bought some seeds and taught the kid to grow his/her own food.
  • G NidStyles 2011/05/25 12:08:03
    G
    +1
    That's kind of a long term solution to an immediate problem, isn't it?
  • ☆Ed☆ G 2011/05/25 20:44:17
    ☆Ed☆
    +1
    So eat the seeds
  • NidStyles G 2011/05/26 00:08:33
    NidStyles
    +1
    You think that if feeding that person for a few days will solve their obvious long term problem when they start getting hungry again after that small portion of food is consumed?

Sort of put's thing's into prospective when you look at the situation as it really is. You can't eat today and expect to be full the next day, it doesn't work that way. Being hungry today, mean's you didn't properly plan in the days before hand.
  • G NidStyles 2011/05/26 09:36:51
    G
    Get this: I think if you plant all the seeds now, and wait for them to grow without eating anything, you'll die of hunger before anything grows.

Anyway, how is it the child's fault if their parents don't know how to plan? Surely they don't deserve to suffer for their parents mistakes?
  • NidStyles G 2011/05/29 19:48:45
    NidStyles
    Imagine that, you didn't plan to make it through the difficult times during the good times. You deserve what happens to you then. Only you are responsible for your self.

The Parent's deserve what happens to them. Children are not worth more than Adult's. I know the current Neo-Liberal Idealism has got everyone thinking that, but Children in reality are a damn liability. The parent's that are responsible for them deserve the heartbreak if they were too ignorant to support said children by planning ahead. The last thing we need is more children that take after parent's like that.

Saving Children for the sake of saving Children is an absolutely ridiculous Neo-Liberal idea. It's so ridiculous when you take into perspective that the same idealism support's abortion. It's nothing but a giant guilt trap that appears to push people to stop having children altogether. Just another form of Population Control and Eugenics.

The proper term would be Social-Darwinism.
  • G NidStyles 2011/05/29 20:14:45
  • NidStyles G 2011/05/29 23:11:37
    NidStyles
    Actually, I discounted your moral judgment as being nothing more that a guilt trip used to scare people into supporting highly unlikely and improbable situation's that are being promoted by the same program's and techniques that you are promoting to supposedly "FIX" the problem.

How funny that Teenage pregnancy was never a problem until the so called sexual revolution started teaching children at a younger age about this notion of "sexuality".

Do you have anymore scare tactic out of your ideology to use on me to scare the people away from doing that thing called thinking?

BTW, you're an example of "Political Washing", and the people are onto that whole "Humanist" ideology. You can call yourself Apathetic all you wish, but that's only because you haven't came to the conclusion that it was all a scam in the very beginning. Give it time, eventually you might learn how to see through the BS.
  • G NidStyles 2011/05/30 02:41:54
  • NidStyles G 2011/05/30 17:24:57 (edited)
    NidStyles
    How often do you see it happening? Was it happening in the 50's, the 60's?

I didn't assume anything about you. I pointed out that the argument in it's core is flawed. It's based upon me feeling guilty because someone else is too inept to take care of the situation they caused. To say that I should have to pay for anothers mistake is ridiculous. In fact that that is even more of an injustice than a child dying or learning to live on their own because their own parent's were impossibly irresponsible in the first place. All your commentary and intention's end up doing is promoting the situation furthermore. If girl's and boy's never learn about the consequences of their action's, they will perpetrate it until it becomes a situation that is untenable. I can't say unsustainable, because it was unsustainable to begin with.

The true nature of reality is that the world is a cold and very unforgiving place, and average human's have removed themselves from this reality for so long that they have decided to declare themselves above it. This will be the Human race's greatest obstacle in the future.Until everyone learns to understand that you can not remove yourself from reality and do the as the Humanist want's without condemning further generation's to ignorance and strife. The less than ...

The true nature of reality is that the world is a cold and very unforgiving place, and average human's have removed themselves from this reality for so long that they have decided to declare themselves above it. This will be the Human race's greatest obstacle in the future.Until everyone learns to understand that you can not remove yourself from reality and do the as the Humanist want's without condemning further generation's to ignorance and strife. The less than average human will always remain a servile beast that more intelligent human's will take advantage of. Statism is perpetrated by those that benefit from climbing to the top without actually having to work for it.
  • G NidStyles 2011/05/30 20:01:27
  • outonvacation 2011/05/25 05:52:58
    outonvacation
    +3
    Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry; (Proverbs 6:30)
    But if he be found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give all the substance of his house. (Proverbs 6:31)
  • BlackwinterG36C 2011/05/25 05:47:39
    BlackwinterG36C
    +1
    Stealing is only acceptable if the victim is an enemy government like Iran, Syria, USSR or North Korea.
  • Cimz Blackwi... 2011/05/25 05:57:02
    Cimz
    +1
    So um....what do you have against the USSR (it collapsed a while back didn't it?) but but but...do you have anything against Russians? hehehe (I'm half Russian lolz)

2014/08/29 05:35:34