Sports Illustrated 'Seven Continents'-Theme Called Racist: Offensive or Blown Out of Proportion?

Fergie 2013/02/16 01:00:00
The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue is getting attention for more than just the Kate Upton cover. Critics are furious over the "seven continents" spread which features models in bikinis around the world.

According to the Huffington Post, people are claiming that the magazine used natives as "props" and "portrayed China as 'nonwestern' and backward'". Check out the original article for more details and let us know what you think. Are the pictures really offensive? Or is this being blown out of proportion?

HUFFINGTONPOST.COM reports:
The newest edition of Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Issue is getting a lot of buzz for the wrong reasons this week, with critics charging that the global pictorials are racist and reinforce bad stereotypes. This year, the heralded swimsuit issue decided on a seven continents theme, with its bikini-clad models posing in countries around the world.
heralded swimsuit issue continents theme bikini-clad models posing countries world

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/15/sports-il...

• Naime 2013/05/13 21:51:28
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Naime
    Racist? How!?
  • teachaman~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/27 21:12:01
    Blown Out of Proportion
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    only a racist could deem this racist ...
  • Kevin1111 2013/02/22 17:27:22
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Kevin1111
    Celebrating cultural diversity is a good thing
  • johnpaul 2013/02/22 15:32:10
    Blown Out of Proportion
    johnpaul
    I could never understand ethnic or national pride. Because to me pride should be reserved for something you achieve or attain on your own, not something that happen by accident of birth. Being Irish isn't a skill, it's a genetic accident. You wouldn't say I'm proud to be 5'11" or I'm prould to have a predisposition for colon cancer. So why would you be proud to be Irish, or proud to be Italian, or American or anything? All people need acceptance, & love.
  • LeroyRogers 2013/02/21 18:35:30
    Blown Out of Proportion
    LeroyRogers
    how is this racist? i've been to china, and there are people like this that do things like this for a living. just more liberalism telling us everything we don't agree with has to be racist.
  • dfldad 2013/02/21 03:40:55
    Racist
    dfldad
    +1
    They do a lot of racial profiling and stereotypes
  • jorge0214 2013/02/21 00:50:44 (edited)
    Blown Out of Proportion
    jorge0214
    This a qualified vote- because I thought the question was about the models. Hmmm- there is only one non-white model.

And that must have it a nerve at the magazine, as they are now using the one black girl as their poster girl on the website.

The settings are fine- look at any fashion mag or travel mag and you will see much worse. But really SI- can't find more than one token girl of color?

ANYWAY- HOW ABOUT THOSE BLACKHAWKS????!!!!!! :-)
  • Drageona 2013/02/20 17:20:52
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Drageona
    Would people complain if this was an issue of Men posing in sexy swim wear in the "seven continents" I bet you not. These protesters would keep their dam mouths shut and let it happen. I see nothing wrong with those pics. It would be nice if these so called people who are complaining would go out and get a life and stop trying to ruin it for those of them that are working do theirs.
  • FatherLiberty 2013/02/20 16:32:09
    Blown Out of Proportion
    FatherLiberty
    Ridiculous. Celebrating diversity in culture is racist now?
  • mike j 2013/02/20 15:52:13
    Blown Out of Proportion
    mike j
    Many people miss an important point of the SI swimsuit issues, it is the selling of swimsuits , women that look at the SI look at what the models are wearing and think of how they might look in such. Guys look at SI and visualize their girlfriend or wife in one . So this is not some rude attempt to slight somebody or country , this is just a way to promote the model , the magazine and swimsuit sales.
  • harley oldman 2013/02/20 14:59:36
    Blown Out of Proportion
    harley oldman
    The largest racist Country is the World is the United States. The MAJORITY of Racist are the al`s, jesses`,rock`s, fox`s,obama`s and the brainless idiots that worship them
  • PM 2013/02/20 14:32:31 (edited)
    Blown Out of Proportion
    PM
    Okay, I'm in China and I use a Chinese person in the picture next to an American Model. Nope! Doesn't make sense to me. I mean, hey, it would be offensive to use Chinese people in pictures actually taken in China - they don't like that. Its an old Chinese saying that you can't take a picture of a Chinese person actually in China, that's why you see Asians taking pictures when they come to America. They're only allowed to take pictures outside their own country. No, no, no, see, the proper thing to do would be to totally ignore people from the countries you're in and use only Americans, yes, that would be more acceptable, and the people from those countries would like that better!!!
  • monkeyking908 2013/02/20 13:55:46
    Blown Out of Proportion
    monkeyking908
    if that is how the person actual looks how is it racist
  • hat man 2013/02/20 12:17:18
  • the fuze 2013/02/20 12:00:04
    Blown Out of Proportion
    the fuze
    WAY out of proportion.
  • Mel Martens 2013/02/20 10:52:03
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Mel Martens
    +1
    Gods it's the Aussie/West Indies Cricket KFC ad all over again.

If you can't accept there are hundreds of different cultures and ethnicities all over the planet that are NOT like you and have areas of their countries that have basic farmers, fishermen and general "uncivilized" folk who prefer the simple life without your problems...then please get off of it.

You're obviously unable to cope.
  • smiffjp 2013/02/20 06:20:49
    Racist
    smiffjp
    +1
    those asian boys should be in speedos too....when is the next time they will be that naked near someone else close to being naked
  • thomas.bogan.5 2013/02/20 05:37:38
  • nightcrawler2005 2013/02/20 05:28:27
    Blown Out of Proportion
    nightcrawler2005
    To the people that think the pics are racist. Screw them. Why do they always give these idiots airtime. I guess it was a slow news day.
  • Tom Trojan 2013/02/20 05:26:02
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Tom Trojan
    +1
    Lighten up and enjoy the pictures....... must everything be political?????
  • SUPREME COSMIC POWER, (SCOPO) 2013/02/20 05:02:56
    Blown Out of Proportion
    SUPREME COSMIC POWER, (SCOPO)
    I'm sorry, I have looked hard but can't see racism. Perhaps, I don't know the meaning of racism anymore! This word has been corrupted!
  • Grant Mad 2013/02/20 04:35:28
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Grant Mad
    Just look at that guys smile ! I know what he's thinking" that's a good way to die from a heart attack.He was paid to be a model I see nothing wrong with That ?
  • Gangstersteve1993 2013/02/20 04:08:23
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Gangstersteve1993
    Ok first of all that isn't racist what so ever. All that dude is is a farmer and Chinese people still have farmers and that is only the North Western and I think it was West China in general. Second of all not all of China is that rich unlike the paper claims it to be.

What the hell do they think it's wrong to dress up as an African tribeswoman when a woman can dress up as an Indian? Come on people stop shoving PC crap in everything it's getting boring and too tiring. Can we just change the record for once?
  • Miss Fiona 2013/02/20 01:41:00
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Miss Fiona
    If the girl were Asian, this wouldn't be an issue.
  • say what? 2013/02/20 00:05:09
    Blown Out of Proportion
    say what?
    nice pics.
  • out damned spot 2013/02/19 23:05:52
  • The Pot... out dam... 2013/02/20 14:23:55
  • out dam... The Pot... 2013/02/23 17:37:20
  • PM out dam... 2013/02/20 14:38:27
    PM
    HUH!?!!?? You wouldn't blame the rapist?????

Woman.... in... swimsuit. Must.... go.... rape.... her...
    No Egor, leave the woman alone!!!
    Must..... rape.... her... Have.... no.... choice!!!!
  • out dam... PM 2013/02/23 17:37:51
  • Roberto 2013/02/19 21:45:29
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Roberto
    Fishing rurally in China. That's only as racist as showing a redneck with Bass Pro on his hat hunting a deer. It's cultural.
  • Danielle 2013/02/19 20:18:03 (edited)
  • syl 2013/02/19 20:03:21
    Blown Out of Proportion
    syl
    It's always damned if you do, & damned if you don't, on the subject of 'diversity'.
    I'm personally sick of the fact that our country doesn't really practice 'equality'-it's actually kow tow to a 'special' race.

It's seems true that the white male is at the bottom of the dog pile of applicants for jobs,
    & that's insane.

If unequality is part of the point, then I'm surprised that Sports IIlustrated isn't sued for not having overweight, plain, or whatever men think is unattractive, women on the cover. Or for that matter, men suing the magazine for not allowing men to be on the cover. (maybe they have-I DON'T follow this magazine!)

For me, I'd rather see the countries photos without the women, but I'm sure that this venture brought ALOT of revenue to these countries that they must appreciate, right?
  • Riobhca 2013/02/19 19:17:01
    Racist
    Riobhca
    It's also demeaning to women.
  • Airhead Riobhca 2013/02/20 09:02:19 (edited)
    Airhead
    +1
    Sure, because admiration of a woman's beauty is demeaning. Gtfo
  • Mel Mar... Riobhca 2013/02/20 10:53:59
    Mel Martens
    +1
    Hi, I'm a woman. It's a magazine aimed at men. There are magazines with muscly men with no shirts on aimed at women too. I don't get your boggle.
  • Just Jenn for Now 2013/02/19 19:09:20
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Just Jenn for Now
    So... it's okay to have scholarships and grants specifically for Asian, Hispanic, or Black descent students, but this is considered "racist"? Even though it uses REAL people from those countries across the world?

Screw that.
  • Rave 2013/02/19 18:57:07
    Blown Out of Proportion
    Rave
    +1
    Living in China for ten years myself, I don't see why it would be. Of course China has some of the largest and most industrialized cities in the world, is leading in World business, has a blooming economy and a lot of variety when it comes to culture and landscapes. That being said, there are still remote areas in China where villages prefer to keep life simple and do things the old fashioned way out of tradition and the fact that they enjoy that kind of lifestyle. I don't see portraying a smaller part of China as "racist", and the Chinese aren't even a race, there are many ethnicities living in China.
  • Jay Theyme Rave 2013/02/19 23:27:23
    Jay Theyme
    I would make this comparison:
    - Suppose I wanted a photo that said "This is the USA and it's people/culture".
    I might use a photo of a classic Rodeo and maybe in Great Falls Montana.
    I may very well have a crunchy old cowboy wearing a traditional cowboy hat, denim and leather boots atop a horse and saddle.
    What the.. 'scuse me!?
    Uh, you know Americans actually have modern cities, scientists, doctors, paved roads and actually they HAVE CARS people!!
    Oh wow.. my 'racist' photo depicting Americans of being old backward types with no technology and riding horses.
  • Mel Mar... Jay Theyme 2013/02/20 10:36:55
    Mel Martens
    Thing is, most economically advanced countries have cars, modern fashion and proper jobs. Only the USA has bull bucking rodeos...

We can tell at a glance you're talking about the US when you see a cowboy. Same as you can tell at a glance you're talking about Australia when you see someone looking like The Crocodile Hunter with a hat dangling bottle corks. Never worn khaki shorts, my farmer rellies never wear the hats. We all wear Aeroguard against mozzies and use the Australian Salute for flies.

But you can't tell that from a single picture unless it's obvious and in your face.

2014/09/01 18:49:29