Something to Think About....

lalouisiane 2011/01/27 20:58:23
Did you know that 52 of the 55 signers of the Declaration of Independence were orthodox, deeply committed Christians? The other three all believed in the Bible as the divine truth, the God of scripture, and His personal intervention. It is the same Congress that formed the American Bible Society.

Immediately after creating the Declaration of Independence, the Continental Congress voted to purchase and import 20,000 copies of scripture for the people of this nation.

Patrick Henry, who is called the firebrand of the American Revolution, is still remembered for his words, "Give me liberty or give me death." But in current textbooks the context of these words is deleted. Here is what he said:

"An appeal to arms and the God of hosts is all that is left us. But we shall not fight our battle alone. There is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."

These sentences have been erased from our textbooks. Was Patrick Henry a Christian? The following year, 1776, he wrote this "It cannot be
emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here."

Consider these words that Thomas Jefferson wrote on the front of his well-worn Bible: "I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our Creator and, I hope, to the pure doctrine of Jesus also."

Consider these words from George Washington, the Father of our Nation, in his farewell speech on September 19, 1796: "It is impossible to govern the world without God and the Bible. Of all the dispositions and habits that lead to political prosperity, our religion and morality are the indispensable supporters. Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that our national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

Was George Washington a Christian? Consider these words from his personal prayer book: "Oh, eternal and everlasting God, direct my thoughts, words and work. Wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the lamb and purge my heart by thy Holy Spirit. Daily, frame me more and more in the likeness of thy son, Jesus Christ, that living in thy fear, and dying in thy favor, I may in thy appointed time obtain the resurrection of the justified unto eternal life. Bless, O Lord, the whole race of mankind and let the world be filled with the knowledge of thee and thy son, Jesus Christ."

Consider these words by John Adams,our second president, who also served as chairman of the American Bible Society. In an address to military leaders he said, "We have no government armed with the power capable of contending with human passions, unbridled by morality and true religion. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

How about our first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay? He stated that when we select our national leaders, if we are to preserve our Nation, we must select Christians. "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian Nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

John Quincy Adams, son of John Adams, was the sixth U.S. President. He was also the chairman of the American Bible Society, which he considered his highest and most important role. On July 4, 1821, President Adams said, "The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity."

Calvin Coolidge, our 30th President of the United States reaffirmed this truth when he wrote, "The foundations of our society and our government
rest so much on the teachings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease to be practically universal in our country."

In 1782, the United States Congress voted this resolution: "The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools."

William Holmes McGuffey is the author of the McGuffey Reader, which was used for over 100 years in our public schools with over 125 million copies sold until it was stopped in 1963. President Lincoln called him the "Schoolmaster of the Nation."

Listen to these words of Mr. McGuffey: "The Christian religion is the religion of our country. From it are derived our notions on the character of God, on the great moral Governor of the universe . On its doctrines are founded the peculiarities of our free institutions. From no source has the author drawn more conspicuously than from the sacred Scriptures. From all these extracts from the Bible I make no apology."

Of the first 108 universities founded in America, 106 were distinctly Christian, including the first, Harvard University, chartered in 1636. In the original Harvard Student Handbook, rule number 1 was that students seeking entrance must know Latin and Greek so that they could study the scriptures:

"Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies is, to know God and Jesus Christ, which is eternal life, John 17:3; and therefore to lay Jesus Christ as the only foundation of all sound knowledge and learning. And seeing the Lord only giveth wisdom, let every one seriously set himself by prayer in secret to seek it of him (Proverbs 2:3)."

For over 100 years, more than 50% of all Harvard graduates were pastors! It is clear from history that the Bible and the Christian faith, were
foundational to our educational and judicial system. However, in 1947, there was a radical change of direction for the Supreme Court. It required ignoring every precedent of Supreme Court ruling for the past 160 years. The Supreme Court ruled in a limited way to affirm a wall of separation between church and State in the public classroom.

In the coming years, this led to removing prayer from public schools in 1962. Here is the prayer that was banished:

"Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence on Thee. We beg Thy blessings upon us and our parents and our teachers and our country. Amen."

In 1963, the Supreme Court ruled that Bible reading was outlawed as unconstitutional in the public school system. The court offered this
justification: "If portions of the New Testament were read without explanation, they could and have been psychologically harmful to children."

Bible reading was now unconstitutional, though the Bible was quoted 94 percent of the time by those who wrote our Constitution and shaped our
Nation and its system of education and justice and government.

In 1965, the Courts denied as unconstitutional the right of a student in the public school cafeteria to bow his head and pray audibly for his food.

In 1980, Stone vs. Graham outlawed the Ten Commandments in our public schools. The Supreme Court said this:

"If the posted copies of the Ten Commandments were to have any effect at all, it would be to induce schoolchildren to read them. And if they read them, mediated upon them, and perhaps venerated and obeyed them, this is not a permissible objective."

Is it not a permissible objective to allow our children to follow the moral principles of the Ten Commandments?

James Madison, the primary author of the Constitution of the United States, said this: "We have staked the whole future of our new nation, not upon the power of government; far from it. We have staked the future of all our political constitutions upon the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves according to the moral principles of the Ten Commandments."

Today, we are asking God to bless America. But, how can He bless a Nation that has departed so far from Him? Prior to September 11, He was not welcome in America. Most of what you read in this article has been erased from our textbooks. Revisionists have rewritten history to remove the truth about our country's Christian roots. You are encouraged to make copies, and share with others, so that the truth of our nation's history will be told.

The above is not original to me, however it was shared with me and I share it with you.

My thoughts on it are: Is it so important? To have schools without prayer but filled with bullets flying, bullying, violence, drugs and sexually transmitted diseases?

A nation that abandons its children to such a fate as what our schools have become will most certainly face the consequences.

Are we all ready for those consequences?

• scbluesman13 2011/01/28 18:50:56 (edited)
    scbluesman13
    +41
    This topic post represents a narrative that is full of half-truths. Were most of our founding fathers religious? yes, they were, but they also rejected institutionalized religion. They saw demagoguery as evil and corrupt. They were considered radical free thinkers, even by today's standards, because while many of them believed in God (i.e. they were deists) they were also quasi-secular in their professed disdain for organized religion - They believed that religious practice was private, and that no one identified faith should have precedence or popularity over any other.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Found...

http://www.studentsforum.net/...

So when we talk today about this country having its roots as a "christian nation" that's a questionable argument.

• Cat 2011/03/08 01:09:56
    Cat
    +1
    Yes & Amen !
  • lalouis... Cat 2011/03/09 20:23:13
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Thank you Cat!!!
  • Cat lalouis... 2011/03/11 00:12:06
  • lalouis... Cat 2011/03/15 23:04:22
    lalouisiane
    +1
    I LOVE flowers!!!
  • Cat lalouis... 2011/03/17 00:45:49
    Cat
    +1
    Oh yes I do love them too.......
  • lalouis... Cat 2011/03/23 16:15:16
    lalouisiane
    +1

These are a few of mine from previous years.
  • Cat lalouis... 2011/03/24 00:09:24
    Cat
    +1
    They are beautiful..........I love all flowers
  • lalouis... Cat 2011/03/28 15:13:41
    lalouisiane
    +1
    Those are just a few of my daylilies.

I have some awesome roses too!!! And.. clematis and honeysuckle and shasta daisies.

Right now my lady bankston and spirea are beautiful!!!
  • Cat lalouis... 2011/04/01 23:25:34
    Cat
    +1
    I am gettin there have trees I have put in beautiful cherry blossoms
    some roses
  • lalouis... Cat 2011/04/19 15:15:36
    lalouisiane
    +1
    GReat!!! I was out for awhile... sickness and death in family.

My roses are blooming now.
  • Cat lalouis... 2011/04/19 23:55:59
    Cat
    +1
    My flowers are blooming......I was outta here too.....My dad had a stroke surgery & now he is home & will get therapy
    God Bless you
  • lalouis... Cat 2011/04/20 16:48:51
    lalouisiane
    +1
    I'm sorry to hear that. We had a death in the family and this pollen has made me very sick this year. I used to think people with allergies were just wimps... now I know... allergies can make you very miserable.

I'm glad you dad is home and recovering. I'll be praying for you and your family.
  • Cat lalouis... 2011/04/20 23:43:30
    Cat
    +1
    Thank you
    He will be getting therapy soon to help with his memory......
    Yea my allergies have been surprisingly under control
    Yeah ! Nice to be back blogging some...........And nice to see ya
  • lalouis... Cat 2011/04/25 19:43:46
    lalouisiane
    Ya'll take care. I'm praying for you.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2011/03/06 12:56:59
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    "Among the most inestimable of our blessings, also, is that... of liberty to worship our Creator in the way we think most agreeable to His will; a liberty deemed in other countries incompatible with good government and yet proved by our experience to be its best support." --Thomas Jefferson: Reply to John Thomas et al., 1807. ME 16:291
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2011/03/06 12:54:56
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    "Religion, as well as reason, confirms the soundness of those principles on which our government has been founded and its rights asserted." --Thomas Jefferson to P. H. Wendover, 1815. ME 14:283
  • Chokmah 2011/03/06 07:24:09
    Chokmah
    The Founding Fathers weren't against religion, or even organized religion, they were against "state religions". Yes, America was founded on the principal of "separation of Chuch and State"

We can see how this commingling of Church and State (or Temple and State, Synagogue and State) has produced monstrous results. Just look at the Middle East today, or the British Empire with its Queen and King as the head of its State Religion.

History is replete with the lessons of Religion and Politics intertwined, especially tribal and ethnic politics and religion. Christianity has been the refuge of every race and reliigon, including Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, and Atheists. The Christian and formerly Christian nations of Europe and America house tens of millions of refugees from the excesses of politics and religion.
  • Red Branch 2011/03/05 21:36:59
    Red Branch
    +3
    Excellent choice of topic.

"God is Dead" came to us out of 19th cy Socialist theory. God had to be removed from society for the destruction of Western Civiization. That takes care of Commandments 1, 2, 3, & 4. If you don't believe in God you will believe anything.

Now the deconstructionists set about trashing the 6 remaining truths.
    - Parental Respect (this translates to respect nothing)
    - Murder
    - Adultry
    - Stealing
    - False Testimony.
    - Coveting.

Anybody see any problems in our society reflected in absence of the above?
  • Torchma... Red Branch 2011/03/06 12:48:07
  • Brightsprite62 2011/03/05 16:01:53
    Brightsprite62
    +2
    Thank you. I know that it is a very unpopular topic these days to say that America was founded on the word of God. A whole lot of half truths are being taught today. There is a site http://www.americanheritage.com/ the people who have prepared this site have done extensive research on this same subject.
  • Chokmah 2011/03/05 13:38:39
    Chokmah
    +3
    Yes, many of the Founding Fathers were Anglican, or what we call Episcopal. I saw George Washington's personal pew box in a Church in Philadelphia once ... or was it New York?

In any event, the religious and ethical predilections of our Founders cannot be denied, except by those alien religions and philosophies that wish to rewrite the history of America, as they have rewritten so much of the history of the West.
    +3
    Great post! There is an attempt by many to sterilize and re-write the faith of these men. Most where rightly against organized religion like that of a stte sponsored religion and those words are often mistaken for being non-christian or against christianity!
  • LesWaggoner BN 1 2011/03/05 06:49:51
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    Revisionism.
  • MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    +5
    My daughter and I both read this and thought it was excellent.... thanks for sharing~:)
  • Bozette 2011/02/26 07:32:38
    Bozette
    +5
    Excellent post!
  • lalouis... Bozette 2011/02/28 13:58:47
    lalouisiane
    +3
    Thank you!!
  • Bozette lalouis... 2011/02/28 15:36:49
  • Lanikai 2011/02/26 04:38:44
    +5
    This is a truly excellent post. Thank you for compiling it.
  • lalouis... Lanikai 2011/02/26 06:46:16
    lalouisiane
    +2
    Thank you!!
  • BUCKY-- SKYNYRD 2011/02/26 04:04:38
    BUCKY-- SKYNYRD
    +4
    very well written Lalou. i don't know why i just received it today.
  • lalouis... BUCKY--... 2011/02/26 06:46:38
    lalouisiane
    +2
    maybe another soda head glitch. Who knows. thank you
  • kfallslady 2011/02/26 03:51:06
    kfallslady
    +4
    God created the heavans and the earth. the peole here on earth keep trying to change it to their beliefs
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2011/02/26 03:25:53
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +7
    Look at almost any state Constitution and you will find direct references to God! Some states had state religions. The only thing our founders didn't want was a mandated federal religion. Great post!
  • lalouis... Gracie ... 2011/02/26 06:47:01
    lalouisiane
    +3
    Thank you.
  • Glory 2011/02/22 23:04:09
    Glory
    +3
    yes I knew it but no one else seems to....
  • lalouis... Glory 2011/03/01 15:49:10
    lalouisiane
    +1
    I know what you mean.
  • Rammstein 2011/01/30 05:31:20
    Rammstein
    +1
    many of the founding fathers were religious, but werent Christan in the same way you might be, and they also knew that separation of church and state is a requirement to have a free country. you're children can pray in school btw, the teachers and faculty just cant enforce it. And thinking that having enforced prayer is school will somehow make kids stop being kids isn't exactly realistic
  • lalouis... Rammstein 2011/01/30 05:45:08
    lalouisiane
    +2
    I don't think enforced prayer is the answer. I am wondering what my post made you think I was for enforced prayer.

However, many schools don't have prayer time at all because they're afraid the ACLU will sue them.

I think the separation of church and state is a wonderful idea. And I hate to see it fall by the wayside under the Obama administration.

I don't think you understand the difference between Christian and religious.
  • Rammstein lalouis... 2011/01/30 05:54:06
    Rammstein
    i meant enforced or encouraged, if your kids want to pray they can pray at any time they want as long it doesnt interfere with class, if your child wants they can even make an after school bible study club.

and having a designated "prayer time" would be essentially the same as a enforced or encouraged religious stance.

and i know plenty about religion, including Christianity
  • lalouis... Rammstein 2011/01/30 05:59:59
    lalouisiane
    +1
    I like separation of church and state and I hate to see us do away with it.

2014/10/24 09:35:23