Some Historians have criticized Pope Pius XII of not doing enough to put pressure on Nazi Germany because he feared retaliation from Hitler toward Catholics in Germany if he did so. Agree or Disagree?

MidnightCowboy 2012/07/10 04:50:23

• beach bum 2012/07/12 03:13:51
    Agree
    beach bum
    agree
  • tncdel 2012/07/10 11:14:46
    tncdel
    Actually it coincides with what Jesus commanded his followers to do; namely: "Turn the other cheek." Plus hindsight puts what was at the time hard to grasp in a different light, not to mention also that many things the Nazis were doing didn't become known till later, such as the gas chambers, etc.
  • Zombie ... tncdel 2012/07/10 16:13:01 (edited)
    Zombie Saddam
    Turn the other cheek doesn't mean turn a blind eye. They're not the same at all and I don't think Jesus's message was propagate injustice. If Pius was unaware, then shame on him. Plenty of religious scholars in Germany (most of whom were jailed) were aware and criticized the Nazi regime. Consider Protestant Pastor Martin Niemoler's famous poem; Hitler had him jailed for offering a religious condemnation of the Nazi purges:

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.
  • Dan 2012/07/10 11:06:48
    Agree
    Dan
    Understandable, but the persecution happened as the only religeon Hitler was going to have in his empire was the Nazi one.
  • Robbb 2012/07/10 09:30:17
    Agree
    Robbb
    Not only that but he had a cosy relationship with Mussolini as well. It was Mussolini (an atheist By the way) that turned the Vatican into a state in its own right. The deal was that the church would back Mussolini which led to him being voted into power with a vote of 98%. The church now has 6 seats in the United Nations instead of the pope being charged for consorting with a war criminal.
  • Metaldane 2012/07/10 09:22:28
    Agree
    Metaldane
    If you don't stand up for something you'll fall to anything. What I mean is he took the cowards way out he should've stood up and spoke out against him but instead he decided to cower.
  • Chukroast 2012/07/10 07:04:29
    Chukroast
    It was a tough choice to make and I wouldn't attempt to second guess the Holy Father.
  • David Hussey 2012/07/10 05:44:25
    Agree
    David Hussey
    I think that was an epic fail on the part of the Pope, the Church in general. Even if standing up against injustice brought retribution, what does the example of Christ teach us?
  • Robbb David H... 2012/07/10 09:32:14
    Robbb
    I doubt if heCatholic Church has ever put justice before power.
  • David H... Robbb 2012/07/12 02:48:21
    David Hussey
    +1
    You are most likely correct Robb.
  • Robbb David H... 2012/07/12 07:48:11
    Robbb
    +1
    Not most likely, definitely. That isn’t to take it away from the millions of good people that are Catholic and do good every day, But then goodness transcends religion for it is a human trait.
  • David H... Robbb 2012/07/13 03:28:35
    David Hussey
    +1
    Agreed.

2014/11/01 05:33:13