So, why in some cultures, marrying more than one woman is a crime.....?

Haytham 2012/09/03 02:03:13
Polygyny (multiple wives) shoud be legal.
Polyandry (multiple husbands) should be legal.
Monogamy should be the only legal marriage.
Polygamy ( multiple partners) should be legal.
..... but sleeping with a different woman everyday (extramartial sex) is not?

I don't understand the whole logic in criminalizing polygamy, while decriminalizing random sex with strangers?

At least in polygyny, the man takes care of all of his wives, it's the same idea like taking care of one wife!

It's like taking care of one child, or taking care of 2 children; more effort, but the same idea.

What do you think?

• rocat 2012/09/03 04:13:46
    rocat
    +3
    a puzzler indeed-

another one that mystifys me...
    prostitution-

any slut can give it away all day long...
    but let someone try to sell it...
    LOOK OUT!!!

• david 2014/06/16 04:55:58
    david
    i want polyandry to be legal and get married to this type of women
  • Haytham david 2014/06/16 11:51:23
    Haytham
    great choice!

.... wait! I think you mean polygny ... it's when a man marries multiple women.
  • Keith Pullman 2012/09/11 11:53:56
    Keith Pullman
    +1
    An adult should be free to share love, sex, residence, and marriage with any consenting adults, regardless of gender, without prosecution, bullying, or discrimination. To answer the full question, I'll use the US as an example. Here, people are officially innocent until proven guilty. It can be very difficult to prove that somebody had sex, But it isn't difficult to prove that the same person had two or more active marriage licenses at the same time, because marriage licenses are legal documents filed with the government.
  • Haytham Keith P... 2012/09/11 18:36:22
    Haytham
    Good opinion, but i am worried because I've seen a documented movie about a Christian family that has "sister wives", and every wife has children, they belong to a sect called mormons, and they say they are afraid if the police knew they would go to jail.
  • senvestoj 2012/09/05 14:38:31
    senvestoj
  • Haytham senvestoj 2012/09/05 17:00:56
    Haytham
    +1
    This is a beautiful graphic. ِA picture explains better than million words, thank you!
  • Swan Eshdeh 2012/09/03 20:55:42
    Swan Eshdeh
    +1
    although i am a female i wouldn't like the idea.but i would like it because in Islam it is ok.
  • Haytham Swan Es... 2012/09/03 21:18:49
    Haytham
    +1
    Yes, my younger sister and my fiancee say the same thing. They just don't like the idea and but they believe it's okay in our Islamic culture, as a basic rule.

Sociologists discuss all the different options in order to figure out what's the best for social relationship. It's amazing how people have different personal preference.

Thank you so much for your opinion!
  • Swan Es... Haytham 2012/09/03 21:21:16
    Swan Eshdeh
    +1
    you are welcome brother.
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/09/03 20:00:46
  • Haytham Alexand... 2012/09/03 20:14:36
    Haytham
    +1
    The problem, Alexander, is that inside one country there are many cultures. And different cultures have different beliefs about how personal relationships should be regulated. So it's not about country, it's about culture and personal preference.

Most men in the world would want to date/marry more than one, do you think they should be banned from marrying more than one if that's their choice?
  • Alexand... Haytham 2012/09/03 20:21:18
  • Haytham Alexand... 2012/09/03 20:42:01
    Haytham
    +1
    Okay, that's your opinion then.

But, you know, other men have different opinions. They think polygyny can save the society a lot of problems that might happen from possible adultery (prostitution) and other sexual acts (strip clubs) that reflect many men's need to be with more than one woman. What's your advice to those men?
  • Alexand... Haytham 2012/09/03 20:45:59
  • Haytham Alexand... 2012/09/03 21:08:13
    Haytham
    Thanks for sharing you opinion :)
  • jai joshi 2012/09/03 18:07:24
    jai joshi
    +1
    i don't know exactly, but its about on their decision, what they believe and what they want is a more important thing. as a my point of view you should marry a girl/boy you loved and then how do you share a woman or man you loved,, we can stay with just one happily ,,
  • ZB 2012/09/03 16:23:25
    ZB
    +1
    Divorce due to cheating would probably go down.
  • S and S 2012/09/03 14:22:49
  • Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/09/03 12:11:12
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    I'd like to mention a 5th option. Just get government out of marriage and leave it up to the couple and if they wish a 3rd party like a church? That way no one's standards are imposed on you, and your standards are not imposed on others.

There might be a few problems with forms some businesses have and it would require requiring some inheritance laws, but I see those as minor issues.
  • Haytham Dan ☮ R... 2012/09/03 13:47:27
    Haytham
    +1
    True, marriages needs improved regulations, in order to overcome social problems.
  • Dan ☮ R... Haytham 2012/09/03 16:04:41
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    I think I just suggested removing all government regulations, except in cases of pedophilia and bestiality (children and animals cannot consent to a contract and other laws prevent these disgusting acts).
  • Haytham Dan ☮ R... 2012/09/03 16:17:35
    Haytham
    +2
    I understand your disagreement with the common regulations, that's why I suggested "improved" (better) regulations. That's what government was made in the first place, to regulate and to put everything in order :)

And of course, pedophilia and bestiality needs to be criminalized, eewww.....

yet another good point ...!
  • rocat Haytham 2012/09/03 17:06:05
    rocat
    "That's what government was made in the first place, to regulate and to put everything in order :)"

SERIOUSLY!!!
  • Haytham rocat 2012/09/03 17:48:17
    Haytham
    Yep. I thought the government was originally made to govern and regulate.

The problem is, the government doesn't govern anything, they sleep in the office, and if they do anything they do things against the nations and in the favor of the rich and the huge business corporations. I know all that stuff.
  • rocat Haytham 2012/09/03 18:35:26
    rocat
    in america...
    the govt was created...
    to protect our right to govern ourselves-
  • Haytham rocat 2012/09/03 20:13:28
    Haytham
    Personal freedom is sacred globally, I know that. But still the government is there to regulate the social life and political life, according to people's choices: that's democracy that everyone believe in, the right and the left.
  • rocat Haytham 2012/09/03 23:06:15
    rocat
    regulate social life???

how so???
  • Haytham rocat 2012/09/03 23:22:49
    Haytham
    That's a long story. Those 2 definitions might explain a bit:

Government consists of the legislators, administrators, and arbitrators in the administrative group of non-elected officials who control a state at a given time, and the system by which they are organized.

The rule of law is a legal maxim whereby governmental decisions are made by applying known legal principles.
  • rocat Haytham 2012/09/03 23:25:16
    rocat
    explains nothing-

you might consider other sources-
    just sayin'...
  • Walaa 2012/09/03 12:01:48
    Walaa
    +2
    Islam has a limit of four wives, and each marraige should be with the 1st wives concent, heres when it gets tricky, women are generally naturally are capable of being jealous sometimes this jealously can get out of hand, when that happens the 1st wife might turn to unethical methods in an attempt to get her husband's attention, and if that doesnt happen well, she might just have to deal with her rage from within. So basically if it were to be legal some issues might arise that if mentioned might sound irrational, like the possibility of having a rise in demostic abuse crimes, just like dominos. I'm not sure anyone would understand what I mean but oh well, thats just my opinion.
  • Haytham Walaa 2012/09/03 13:45:08 (edited)
    Haytham
    +1
    Yea, polygyny has always been common practice in almost all cultures, and along the history. Thanks for your thorough and informative answer.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/09/03 11:55:10
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +2
    Makes the most sense, though I'm not sure I could handle more than one at a time.
  • Haytham Dave Sa... 2012/09/03 13:43:42
    Haytham
    +2
    Great opinion.
  • LibertyCaroline 2012/09/03 10:08:14
    LibertyCaroline
    +1
    Get the government (s) out of marriage. As long as their legal consenting adults, what do I care.
  • Haytham Liberty... 2012/09/03 13:52:08
    Haytham
    Yea, freedom in relationships is great. But, don't you think that there should be some laws that protects the right of either partner? You know, like mother's rights, child's rights, etc.
  • L1 2012/09/03 08:10:13
    L1
    +2
    It be a legal and financial mess with family court for starters. Also you can't have polygamy to ok while polyandry is not; what is good for the gander is also good for the goose.
  • Haytham L1 2012/09/03 14:21:47
    Haytham
    +1
    You know, in twilight, Bella was so confused between Jackob and Edward. She couldn't decide which one she loves more and wants to spend her life with. Although she likes both, but she wasn't sure which "one" is supposed to be the dad of her future children. That's why almost all women want to marry only one man. The 'one'. But men are capable of being loyal and caring to two wives, and four children, for instance.
  • L1 Haytham 2012/09/03 17:14:04
    L1
    First, I don't base my ideas on "Twilight", second, your assumption that women can't love more than one man is not proven. If that were true, you wouldn't have women that marry more than once. Third, absolutes, that women only want to marry one man is illogical and inaccurate.

Fourth, there are indeed men who do love just one woman, and last, like I've written before, if there is to be polygamy, it is for BOTH, not one. Equality oh yes!
  • rocat 2012/09/03 04:13:46
    rocat
    +3
    a puzzler indeed-

another one that mystifys me...
    prostitution-

but let someone try to sell it...
    LOOK OUT!!!
  • tommyg ... rocat 2012/09/03 04:33:58
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +2
    No puzzle...if it makes money....tax it.

And this one has made money a long time...

2014/11/24 07:02:26