So ive cut myself for as long as i can remeber and now im trying to stop but its alot harder than i thought. any tips on what to do to stop? i tried the rubberband thing didnt work :/

Michelle 2012/06/25 17:42:29
Related Topics: Work, Tips

• bat 2012/11/14 14:38:38 (edited)
    try this.....
    bat
    Get help. Just tell someone, you're Dr., school counselor, anyone. I started cutting very young, a long time before anyone even knew what it was.(early 1980's). Now, I'm 42 and hiding scars from my children. I never thought I'd make it this long, much less have children. Finally, I'm getting help from a psychiatrist. There may be medications that help you with the impulse control. People don't understand that when you feel the need, you obsess until you cut. It feels like the only thing that stops the freak out. It calms us. You need to consider yoga, meditation, biofeedback, exercise, anything to distract and to train you to calm yourself. There are also medications. You need to know that there may be an underlying psychiatric issue that you need to have diagnosed and treated. I have several psychiatric issues, for which I(/'m now medicated. It helps so much. My sweet. You need to just refuse the fear and talk to an adult who can get you help. Life is worth it, eventually, I swear it. Depression can result in suicide, I nearly went there, so many times, and here I am, in bliss. ,You can have a beautiful life.
  • LunarRain 2012/06/27 04:36:42
    you should....
    LunarRain
    Start only doing it for extream upsets like really extream. Then when you can just do that stop and find something else to do whe your upset instead for me i would draw.
  • Heavy 2012/06/26 21:22:51
    you should....
    Heavy
    Draw butterflies where you used to cut yourself.
  • Scout 2012/06/26 13:23:26
    you should....
    Scout
    Do whatever it takes, because if you don't, you will die young.
  • kayla 2012/06/26 04:38:50
    you should....
    kayla
    put fiber glass on it youll never want to cut agin i kno
  • BoomLover 2012/06/26 04:19:24
    try this.....
    BoomLover
    Quit Cold Turkey...just tell yourself the you are worth more than that, and your only hurting yourself, nobody else.....
  • kayla BoomLover 2012/06/30 01:16:12
  • SlaveWaterNymph 2012/06/26 03:45:22
    you should....
    SlaveWaterNymph
    find something that works for you, when you have the urge to cut. Like when i would go through those phases, i would write down what was going through my mind or i would talk about it with Daddy/fiancee. Also you need to find out why you are cutting and if it is related to stress. Mine was, and you have to find ways to keep stress levels down and try not to get into things that will stress you out to want to cut. I think that is all i have, hope i helped in some way. :) You will get through this. It takes a while, but you will feel so much better afterwards, trust me. :)
  • Michelle SlaveWa... 2012/07/17 06:17:06
    Michelle
    I don't have a dad anymore... And I kno why I'm cutting it's the reasons that make it so hard to stop.....
  • SlaveWa... Michelle 2012/07/17 08:21:16
    SlaveWaterNymph
    Okay well then you need to work on it then. Its going to be very hard for a while til you can get it under control. Other than that no one can help you. You have to help yourself as much as you can and want to stop it. That is the first step into stop the cutting. Trust me, it took me two long and hard years to stop and off and on now its very hard. And it probably will be for many years to come. You just need to do things that keep you okay and not want to cut.
  • Michelle SlaveWa... 2012/07/24 16:07:27
    Michelle
    Thanks for your advice and I'll try
  • SlaveWa... Michelle 2012/07/24 20:59:12
    SlaveWaterNymph
    you're welcome. :)
  • Anne 2012/06/26 03:30:42
    you should....
    Anne
    +1
    Get a therapist?
  • Michelle Anne 2012/07/26 22:48:11
    Michelle
    Don't u have to be 18 to get theropy? And plus I'm not comfortable talking to strangers....
  • Anne Michelle 2012/08/20 16:04:48
    Anne
    no you can go to therapy at any age.
  • JustMe 2012/06/26 02:33:47
    try this.....
    JustMe
    I have a friend that is in your situation too, she said a few things that she does is writing her feelings, poems whatever when she is upset, or other times she will throw pillows or something at the wall and telling it how she feels. She has other things that she is learning in her counseling, and it seems to be working well for her
  • flaca BN-0 2012/06/26 01:41:06
    try this.....
    flaca BN-0
    cutting is like drinking alcohol or smoking: it's a habit.
    The best way to cut habits is to remove yourself from an ordinary situation. Cutting smoking for example is easier if you change yur environment: i.e. when you're on vacation somewhere. If you change your routine, it helps to cut all habits.
  • Miss Bela Rae 2012/06/26 01:26:03
    try this.....
    Miss Bela Rae
    I like to take a random image I've seen somewhere and make a story out of it. Like once I saw this steampunk (gears, clocks, robots, wind-up stuff, steamworks, etc.) doll online.
    http://pullipsandjunk.com/201...
    and I don't know about you, but my mind is always hyperactive. Just one thing like the doll can make me create a whole personality for her, like her name and a unique world she lives in. I imagined that her name was Bot, and that she lived in an underground place with gears and steamworks everywhere instead of electricity. I imagined her with my situation (not knowing where I wanted to go, long story) and came up with her solution, which I might have been able to use in real life, but I ended up not.
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, when I'm mad, I distract myself with another made-up life. I get so distracted with it that when I bring myself back to the real world, I'm not mad anymore, or at least I don't feel like hurting myself anymore. I've never cut myself, but I used to hit myself and scratch my legs to the point of bleeding. No one knew about it, and now everyone wonders why I cut every bit of the white off my nails (I do it to keep myself from scratching my legs up) and why I hate wearing shorts (scars).
  • Jannis 2012/06/26 00:54:32
    you should....
    Jannis
    Aww .come on Michelle,you are such a beautiful young woman.Seek help from anyone that you can to stop what your doing to yourself....please!!!!
  • DebraJMSmith 2012/06/26 00:46:35
    you should....
    DebraJMSmith
    Turn your life over to Jesus. --Cutting yourself could be for a number of reasons. All of which the Lord can heal you from. Bottom line, it is a demonic thing that you are doing. And when demons come knocking, you need to let Jesus get the door. But you first must be saved, in Christ, a true born again believer.
  • Dark Angel 2012/06/26 00:41:50
    you should....
    Dark Angel
    +2
    when ever you feel like cutting find a different outlet for your emotion. like talking to someone or writing. Just find whatever works for you and distracts you from cutting.
  • ~[Rachel Mariee]~ 2012/06/25 18:38:55
    you should....
    ~[Rachel Mariee]~
    talk to people about it... they help alot! it helped me!
    and also try to find something to do that will keep you away from it!
  • Whitney Kendall 2012/06/25 18:19:40
    you should....
    Whitney Kendall
    +1
    try to find like a hobbie or something... thats what i did when i was trying to stop cutting and it worked for me:)
  • Sammi </3 2012/06/25 18:15:28
    you should....
    Sammi </3
    i cut myself once and i saw i hurt so many people that i loved. and i think of them right when i'm about to di it again
  • Walaa 2012/06/25 18:03:51
    try this.....
    Walaa
    Why should you cut yourself? Its not going to fix anything or whatevers bothering you so much. Just focus on how its simply not worth it. Picture your body covered in scars and you showing this to your children or nieces someone who looks up to you, you dont want them to end up cutting themselves too. Maybe you need some motivation or a great reason to stop you, try meeting someone who share the same experience you have someone that have recovered fom this problem. It might help.
  • gracious43 2012/06/25 17:59:55
    try this.....
    gracious43
    What does your doctor say? Have you tried calling someone up and talking until the urge goes away?

Try this, and then let me know how it goes. Run it like a scientific experiment. First take some records of when you get the urge, and how long the urge lasts until it goes away on it's own. Keep notes on when it started, how intense it got, and when it went away.

This is what I suspect. I suspect that if you let the urge run its course, it will continue to increase in urgency until it peaks, and then the desire will wane--like a tide. Once you have established this, and how long each period lasts you will have some tools to fight the urge with. You will know how long it is going to "hurt" and when you hit the "peak" of intense addictive urge, you will know that the urge will begin to wane until the next time. Then you can deal with that one too, and the next and the next until you suddenly recall you haven't had one for a while.

In any case, you need to establish some data. And keep me posted.
  • Quiet-is-feared 2012/06/25 17:55:13
    try this.....
    Quiet-is-feared
    Every time you pick up the knife or razor (the object you're using to cut yourself) look at it for a moment, and really think of how scarring your flesh is helping you in life. How purposely slicing through your own skin, making it bleed how does this or will it help you move forward in life.
    I had the same problem a while back, I just rudely talked to my mind coming to the realization self harm just makes things worse. It doesnt feel good, it leaves brutal looking wounds, scars and painful reminders for the rest of my life.
    Cutting doesn't help solve anything. It took me about a year to finally realize that.

Try harsh thoughts or telling yourself the negative points to all this. The scars, possible infections, people and society viewing horribly negative upon you, the bloody mess and stress it causes. If you do this a few times, you may lose interest in purposely cutting yourself, I did for sure but hopefuly it works for you :)
    you should....
    +1
    see Doc
  • BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET) 2012/06/25 17:45:23
    try this.....
    BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET)
    +2
    Try picturing your family coming into your room and finding your corpse because you cut yourself too deep and opened up a vein or some other important thing. Then imagine the anguish they would feel as a result.
  • kayla BattleB... 2012/07/04 01:07:44
    kayla
    what if ur familys the whole reson u started

2014/09/18 03:46:50