Singles Try to Sniff Out Love at Pheromone Parties: Reasonable or Ridiculous?

SodaHead Living 2012/06/24 18:24:56
Sick of online dating? Maybe it’s time to sniff your way to love. Yes, you read that right! Many singles across the country are trying to pick future partners based on scent at “pheromone parties,” the latest craze in matchmaking.

Guests at these get-togethers are asked to sleep in a cotton T-shirt for three nights, in a row in order to capture their “odor print,” and to then bring the shirt with them in a Ziploc bag. At the event, the bags are color-coded based on gender and numbered by guest. Participants only know the number assigned to their own shirt.

The bags are then placed on a table where guests can sniff them at their leisure throughout the party. If a participant finds a scent particularly attractive, he or she can take a picture with the bag at a photo station. These pictures are then projected or posted on a wall so that a shirt’s owner can step forward and meet his or her odor’s admirer.

As strange as these pheromone parties sound, they may actually have some scientific backing. According to the Associated Press, “Research studies using similar T-shirt experiments have shown that people prefer different human scents. But whose smell they prefer is dictated by a set of genes that influence our immune response — which researchers say is nature's way of preventing inbreeding and preserving genetic adaptations developed over time.”

So, what do you think SodaHeads? Are pheromone parties reasonable or ridiculous?

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57459397/singl...

• Jiorgia 2012/06/25 17:23:17
    Reasonable
    Jiorgia
    whatever floats your boat.
  • ashley. 2012/06/25 16:45:40
    Reasonable
    ashley.
    Clicked the wrong one. Its ridiculous.
  • wilsonmja 2012/06/25 15:33:50
    Reasonable
    wilsonmja
    +5
    Sounds like an interesting game. My luck I would get stuck with the only fat girl that showed up just cuz I like the smell of bacon.
  • MlssCue... wilsonmja 2012/06/26 05:21:20
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +2
    I'm shocked you're 30 yrs. old that sounds like something from a juvenile.
  • wilsonmja MlssCue... 2012/06/26 05:35:25
    wilsonmja
    I appreciate the compliment. It's nice when people notice I don't take myself too seriously and I have a sense of humor. I guess that's what you call juvenile?
  • MlssCue... wilsonmja 2012/06/26 15:48:39
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    Yes that's exactly what I call juvenile.
  • wilsonmja MlssCue... 2012/06/26 15:50:49
    wilsonmja
    Oh good, then it WAS a compliment.
  • MlssCue... wilsonmja 2012/06/26 15:56:27
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +1
    Yep enjoy it I don't give them out often.
  • RoseyRhod wilsonmja 2012/06/26 11:02:03
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    Well, that's very mature. Because fat women don't date and can't be attractive, right? And of course they're always stuffing their faces. Perhaps the fat girl would simply be smarter than to waste her time on the likes of you.
  • wilsonmja RoseyRhod 2012/06/26 15:20:42
    wilsonmja
    OMNOMNOM
    omnomnom
  • Melizmatic RoseyRhod 2012/06/26 17:14:15
    Melizmatic
    +1
    What's disturbing is that fool admits to smelling like bacon; basically he's calling himself a pig.
  • AM 2012/06/25 14:26:04 (edited)
  • Jiorgia AM 2012/06/25 17:26:53
    Jiorgia
    love almost always starts with lust, in the end though, they are both primal instincts, lust to mate and love to raise the offspring.
  • tywon.smith 2012/06/25 13:52:25
    Ridiculous
    tywon.smith
    +1
    What are these people? Bugs or four legged animals?!? LOL!
  • CuresCa... tywon.s... 2012/06/25 17:34:27
    CuresCancer
    +1
    The guy in the photo looks a lot like Jeffery Dalmer (sp?) the cannibal.
  • tywon.s... CuresCa... 2012/07/01 14:09:25
    tywon.smith
    LOL! Good one!
  • Dickens 2012/06/25 13:50:41
    Ridiculous
    Dickens
    ...then again, it works for dogs when they sniff each others' butts; maybe they should try that...
  • wtxwoman 2012/06/25 06:58:21
    Reasonable
    wtxwoman
    +3
    Humans are much more slaves to their hormones than they will every know. I think a 'pheromone party' would be interesting. I discovered, quite by accident, that when I wore clothes that my teen daughters had worn I got more reaction from guys in the club I went to. I was in my mid thirties at the time. My girls were wearing my blouses and putting them back in the closet, thinking I wouldn't know. What I discovered is that females are more attractive to males when they are ovulating.
  • Bill wtxwoman 2012/06/25 12:04:44
    Bill
    +1
    I believe you're right
  • wtxwoman Bill 2012/06/25 17:27:43
    wtxwoman
    As far as why women are attracted to certain males, I don't know.
  • Bill wtxwoman 2012/06/25 18:01:49
    Bill
    +1
    Thats what all my wives, and a couple girl friends, have said. They were all talking about me though.
  • wtxwoman Bill 2012/06/25 19:05:54
  • Jiorgia wtxwoman 2012/06/25 17:29:57
    Jiorgia
    +2
    yep thats true, they took a photo of 500 women every day throughout their cycles and showed them in random order to men, the men almost always (something like 80-90%) singled out ovulation day as the most attractive day and second day of the menses as least attractive day.
  • wtxwoman Jiorgia 2012/06/25 17:36:30
    wtxwoman
    +1
    Dilated eyes are a big winner, too. It is supposed to mean sexual interest. A couple hundred years ago, women would put a drop of laudanum in their eyes to gain attention. The meaning behind face makeup is one reason I don't like it. Think about how a baboon's butt gets swollen and more red when they are in fertile. And, then consider women painting their mouths and how most men like a puffy mouth on a woman.
  • Jiorgia wtxwoman 2012/06/25 17:45:07
    Jiorgia
    +2
    There are alot of things that we as humans do (most subconsciously) to attract a mate, even the simplest of body gestures can have sexual meaning.
    We are very instinct driven and sex is definitely an instinct.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/06/25 05:17:35 (edited)
    Ridiculous
    MOMMA THOMAS
    NO WAY!!!!!!! ....DON'T WANT TO SNIFF OR BE SNIFFED!
  • Rio 2012/06/25 04:27:07 (edited)
    Ridiculous
    Rio
    hm,,, interesting in purely a scientific way. i wonder if you were to take a seriously UGLY person and cloth them in a sheet head to toe- but under the sheet is wearing the t-shirt of someone believed to be H.O.T.-- what would the result be? In addition- I do believe the use of love in this case may be out of place. It is thought that one chooses a mate for reproduction purposes using the pheromones as a natural selection of the best match for ones, little swimmers and eggers, SO- does love come into play?
  • Kodibear Rio 2012/06/25 05:44:41
    Kodibear
    +1
    The person above you tagged this as pseudo-science, but when it comes to love I have to believe that there is "something" in a pairing that males people bond. It can't always be based on cosmetic appearance. We have all seen hotties of either sex paired with someone less than gorgeous or handsome. Disregarding gold digging I have personally met people that you wouldn't put together based solely on looks. Yet, they seem to be head over heels about each other. The question is, why? I personally believe that there is something to this scent-science. My own example started in junior high. I was crazy about a girl that was not on the list of "hotties" my fellow classmates seemed to always have in their heads. There was just something about her that attracted me. We did have a date or two in high school and it seemed she just didn't find me as attractive as I found her. Long story shorter we met a few years ago after her husband passed away and I still find her just as attractive as I did then. I asked her why we just didn't "hit it off" 45 years ago and she said that the attraction to me was so strong that she feared that if she gave into it we would have wound up teen parents and it scared her away. She said that I was the one male that she desired for the last 45 years and that ...

The person above you tagged this as pseudo-science, but when it comes to love I have to believe that there is "something" in a pairing that males people bond. It can't always be based on cosmetic appearance. We have all seen hotties of either sex paired with someone less than gorgeous or handsome. Disregarding gold digging I have personally met people that you wouldn't put together based solely on looks. Yet, they seem to be head over heels about each other. The question is, why? I personally believe that there is something to this scent-science. My own example started in junior high. I was crazy about a girl that was not on the list of "hotties" my fellow classmates seemed to always have in their heads. There was just something about her that attracted me. We did have a date or two in high school and it seemed she just didn't find me as attractive as I found her. Long story shorter we met a few years ago after her husband passed away and I still find her just as attractive as I did then. I asked her why we just didn't "hit it off" 45 years ago and she said that the attraction to me was so strong that she feared that if she gave into it we would have wound up teen parents and it scared her away. She said that I was the one male that she desired for the last 45 years and that she thought about me even when she was married and making love to her husband. I too admitted that I still thought the same way about her sexually and the attraction was just as strong after 45 years. Yes, we have met many times in the last few years and to me her scent is the main thing that stirs up the juices. Even if we have both been perspiring or haven't been able to shower in the previous 24 hours. She actually prefers that I don't shower for a day or so before we meet because my natural smell is a big turn on for her. So what's in a T-shirts smell? I don't know, but there has to be some basis in this "pseudo-science" as far as I'm concerned.
    Oh, and yes the sex is awesome and the love-making is pretty great too.
    P.S. I love her with all my heart and my teen desires and emotions are just as strong at 63 as they were at 16.
  • wtxwoman Kodibear 2012/06/25 07:03:09
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I totally believe you. I know that his scent is one thing that attracted me to my late husband. By the same token, I have been completely turned off by men that smelled similar to my ex. Humans are more animals than we know. You are very fortunate to have found your mate again.
  • Rio Kodibear 2012/07/01 19:35:56 (edited)
    Rio
    I dont' believe i "tagged" the question as pseudo-science-- i merely am creating my own question out of the question. You know sort of one of those. hm i wonder senerios.
    Do i beleive love is mostly chemical though-- yes yes I do. But in that idea I also believe there is a switch which for some the chemicals stay on-- while for others,, at some point sadly switch /off. What makes this world so great is that we are individuals (for the most part) & we all of our own ideals and opinions. Is it science or divine intervention? I do not know.

KUdos to you and your Love! Bravo--
  • Flamingolady 2012/06/25 02:03:25
    Ridiculous
    Flamingolady
  • The Libertarian 2012/06/25 01:53:56
    Ridiculous
    The Libertarian
    +1
    I saved a pair of skivvies from my time in the Navy, wore em for 3 months straight without showering or changing, kept them locked in a sealed bag, any of you want to sniff?

wore em 3 straight showering changing locked sealed bag sniff
  • Aingean 2012/06/25 00:18:03
    Ridiculous
    Aingean
    +1
    Yep that's how to find love, yum you smell nice lets be together forever.
  • Picasso's Cat 2012/06/24 23:54:17
    Ridiculous
    Picasso's Cat
    Pheromones are volatile, odorous substances which are released by one human and detected by another.
    Urine and feces are two major pheromones, so they report, underarm smell is another that attract a woman to a man, so they report, Lol.
    So if that's true, how come the ladies don't come begging to me after a rip a big fat fart, Lol, come on ladies, I can fart more, Lol.
    If pheromones were that much of an attractant they would be selling like there is no tomorrow, and they don't !!!!!!!!
  • A Founding Father 2012/06/24 22:48:31
    Ridiculous
    A Founding Father
    +3
    Is Ben Gay a "pheromone"?
  • Adam 2012/06/24 22:36:57
    Reasonable
    Adam
    Id never do it, I'd rather choose a partner through means that can't be sussed out via what can be gathered via scent...but for women...well, apparently, women are capable of identifying via shirt odor which male has the most symmetrical feature (And, ostensibly, is the most attractive). Not a small effect either. They needed a rather large group just to find the woman who couldn't. The problem however, is that it only works when the woman is on her period.

So its in pretty weird territory
  • Atmara 2012/06/24 22:29:18
    Reasonable
    Atmara
    I like scratch n sniff better n wear my chocolate flavored panties

scratch and sniff
  • EDWARD G 2012/06/24 21:30:24
    Reasonable
    EDWARD G
    If it works, I'm single.
  • BoomLover 2012/06/24 21:19:47
    Reasonable
    BoomLover
    +2
    Do you people have any idea how much pheromone's play in either attracting or accepting a mate? Way more than you can imagine...
  • wtxwoman BoomLover 2012/06/25 07:05:28
    wtxwoman
    +1
    From the answers here, I don't think they have a clue. The less they believe the more it works.

2014/04/20 16:10:28