Singles Try to Sniff Out Love at Pheromone Parties: Reasonable or Ridiculous?

Sick of online dating? Maybe it’s time to sniff your way to love. Yes, you read that right! Many singles across the country are trying to pick future partners based on scent at “pheromone parties,” the latest craze in matchmaking.

Guests at these get-togethers are asked to sleep in a cotton T-shirt for three nights, in a row in order to capture their “odor print,” and to then bring the shirt with them in a Ziploc bag. At the event, the bags are color-coded based on gender and numbered by guest. Participants only know the number assigned to their own shirt.

The bags are then placed on a table where guests can sniff them at their leisure throughout the party. If a participant finds a scent particularly attractive, he or she can take a picture with the bag at a photo station. These pictures are then projected or posted on a wall so that a shirt’s owner can step forward and meet his or her odor’s admirer.

As strange as these pheromone parties sound, they may actually have some scientific backing. According to the Associated Press, “Research studies using similar T-shirt experiments have shown that people prefer different human scents. But whose smell they prefer is dictated by a set of genes that influence our immune response — which researchers say is nature's way of preventing inbreeding and preserving genetic adaptations developed over time.”

So, what do you think SodaHeads? Are pheromone parties reasonable or ridiculous?

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57459397/singl...

• Will Ad... ZERO 2012/06/26 17:39:40
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +2
    He does.
  • Savious 2012/06/26 16:29:42
    Reasonable
    Savious
    I’m intrigued to say the least; I think perhaps it would be a good icebreaker, a means to strike up a conversation and get to know people better, since so many seem to be too shy to even say hi to other people.
  • Lee 2012/06/26 15:28:58
    Reasonable
    Lee
    Great Idea1

So . . . When's the next Party?
  • Alexis82 2012/06/26 13:28:00
    Ridiculous
    Alexis82
    What r the chances one would be satisfied with what the sense of scent gives u. Knowing that the sense of sight is perfered.
  • RoseyRhod 2012/06/26 11:00:39
    Ridiculous
    RoseyRhod
    +1
    But whatever, it's none of my nevermind. Sniff away!
  • LunarRain 2012/06/26 08:16:56
    Ridiculous
    LunarRain
    +1
    If i remember what i read a while ago chemicals are released after being around someone for a long time and interacting ith touching like hugging or cuddling. So the idea that someone can smell pharamones strongly enough so soon is a little unrealistic. Only a little might be given off but it wont be strong enough to give off a smell that will help you find someone. The scent probably isnt even strong enough for you to smell yet to be able to get the smell off of a t-shirt or towel. If i told my friend to smell my boyfriends neck they would't smell what i would smell scince iv been with him for over a year and they arn't around him much. This idea is unrealistic and rediculas.
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/06/26 05:20:16
    Reasonable
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +2
    Sounds interesting to me. You'd definitely have to have an open mind for this type of thing. If I'm not mistaken though our pheromones aren't an all the time thing & supposedly are upped when we are around the opposite sex, so not sure how a set 3 days would work.
  • JJ 2012/06/26 04:45:08
    Ridiculous
    JJ
    While different people have different odor prints, sniffing their way to find a partner is silly. Now, if someone you love died and you are distressed over it and you smell their clothes to get that familiar odor of the love one, I can understand, but for matchmaking...no, doesn't make sense.
  • Michelle 2012/06/26 02:12:19
    Ridiculous
    Michelle
    You don't need to press your nose to somebody to detect their pheromones. If somebody's scent subconsciously stands out to you, you'd probably just as likely notice and approach them at a normal party.
  • yg 2012/06/25 23:10:40
    Ridiculous
    yg
    That's just ridiculous.
  • tajay1 2012/06/25 22:15:44
    Ridiculous
    tajay1
    +1
    If u wanna find real love dont start at parties
  • Will Ad... tajay1 2012/06/26 17:41:28
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +3
    Or the panties. Ha!
  • Melizmatic Will Ad... 2012/06/26 17:55:54
  • Marianne 2012/06/25 21:12:57
    Ridiculous
    Marianne
    +1
    Actually, it may be both, ridiculous and scientifically more or less documented. Pheromons are indeed a way of attracting potential lovers. You like the smell of certain people, as you dislike the smell of other people. Chemical interaction is important. But that does not grant a durable relationship, as communication is essential.
  • Brynn 2012/06/25 20:17:01
    Ridiculous
    Brynn
    Yuck!
  • sally 2012/06/25 20:11:05
    Ridiculous
    sally
    +1
    I don't know about them but I wouldn't want to smell some random guy's BO.
  • Mr. Smith 2012/06/25 19:33:50
    Ridiculous
    Mr. Smith
    +3
    Does anyone else think the guy in the pic looks a lot like Dahmer?
  • Latti I... Mr. Smith 2012/06/26 17:12:13
  • Will Ad... Mr. Smith 2012/06/26 17:42:15
  • TKramar 2012/06/25 19:31:35
    Reasonable
    TKramar
    A scientific and logical approach to the question, instead of relying on stupid things like emotion.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/26 18:27:16
    SoD
    It is not stupid to rely on emotions, such as love, in order to establish a meaningful relationship.

Love is not a chemical reaction, nor does it reside in the physical world.

It's an expression of spiritual energy. I'm not talking about the new age garbage, but rather the understanding of spirit as it has existed since man has walked the earth.
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/26 18:45:48
    TKramar
    Love and emotions are illogical, at least this is a logical and scientific approach.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/26 21:15:33
    SoD
    My willingness to sacrifice my life for my wife and son is illogical as well.

However, I wouldn't trade those deep rooted feelings for anything.

If your goal when entering into a relationship is not love, what is it?

People ain't toaster ovens or computers.
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/26 21:21:25 (edited)
    TKramar
    Yes it is. Self preservation is the more logical path to take, and the one I'd take. I'd never risk my life for anyone else. That's just stupid.

My wife cooks and cleans. That's her role.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/26 22:54:12
    SoD
    I bet you're a pleasure to live with.

[sarcasm]

If your wife knows how you feel, she must be severely lacking in her sense of security. My wife's role is to tend to a majority of the domestic tasks. My role is to handle mechanical tasks, heavy lifting, and to provide a sense of security to the best of my ability. There is no fear in our home because I've made a tacit vow to protect my family with metal, blood, and my very life if the need should arise. This is what it means to be a father and husband. Any man who does not live up to these standards is no man at all.
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/27 06:54:51 (edited)
    TKramar
    She has a great sense of security, because she knows it's my role to provide it for her. But not at the expense of my own life, that's just crazy talk.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/27 14:44:36
    SoD
    So you will provide for her security so long as your life isn't threatened.

Well gee whiz I guess it's a good that violent assailants are usually very clear in making their intentions known and very good at keeping the scope of their violence at a manageable level.

[sarcasm]

If you aren't willing to risk your life to protect your family you're useless as the head of your household.

If three thugs who look like rugby players kick in your front door like it's made of toothpicks and commence to sexually assaulting your wife and destroying your property, your life is in inherent danger before your presence is even acknowledged. So what do you do, flee out the back door/window or move forward into the fray?

The fact is that during any physical confrontation your life is at risk. People are little more than squishy meat-sacks full of bones.

If you aren't willing to die for the sake of protecting your wife, your heart will not be in the fight. Frankly, I probably wouldn't want to live knowing that I allowed my wife to suffer atrocity or demise for the sake of my own safety.
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/27 19:00:24
    TKramar
    I can protect MY life, and that's a lot more important.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/27 20:03:16
    SoD
    Without the lives of my wife and child, my life would have far less meaning. Furthermore, the idea of rejecting my responsibilities as a husband and father for the sake of my own hide is repugnant.
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/27 20:07:39
    TKramar
    I'm not concerned with finding meaning, I'm only concerned with survival, that's all the meaning I require.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/27 22:50:53
    SoD
    Then why did you get married?
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/28 09:48:54
    TKramar
    To enhance my survival. She cooks, I don't. She cleans, I don't. She does her job, and I do mine.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/28 16:19:21
    SoD
    You don't need marriage in order to have such an arrangement.

What is your job, by the way? All you've spoke of are your poor wife's duties.
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/28 18:58:28
    TKramar
    My job is to finance the whole thing.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/28 20:01:22
    SoD
    Does being married help you to do that considering your wife evidently doesn't generate revenue?
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/28 20:08:26 (edited)
    TKramar
    She makes sure I'm able to, by keeping me fed and in clean clothes. That's HER job.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/28 20:24:26
    SoD
    There are two problems with your invalid premise.

1. Your wife can cook and clean for you whether you are married or not. Furthermore, being married to you does not obligate her to do either on your behalf.

2. You can feed yourself and do your own laundry while holding a job... can't you?

Again, how does being married help you to finance the whole thing considering your wife evidently doesn't generate revenue?
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/28 20:28:29
    TKramar
    It's her job to do so as my wife. That's not man's work.

I told you, she keeps me fed and in clean clothes so I can concentrate on work.
  • SoD TKramar 2012/06/28 21:41:58
    SoD
    Your woman performing these duties for you is not contingent on her being your wife, which is something you evidently refuse to acknowledge for the sake of your invalid premise.

Your determination that your woman being married to you obligates her to perform these duties is arbitrary. Did she refuse to perform these tasks before you were married and turn over a dutiful leaf the day after you were wed?

You're being a duplicitous intellectual coward.

Whether or not you can cease this behavior remains to be seen.
  • TKramar SoD 2012/06/28 21:54:57 (edited)
    TKramar
    Yes, it is. Or my mother, one or the other. No other woman is responsible for those things. Wife or mother only.

2014/10/24 09:48:49