Should your boss be allowed to fire you just because you embarrassed the your company in public? i.e. you hurt their reputation by posting pictures of yourself at a Klan rally.

Foxhound BN0 2013/12/20 08:14:52

• Scream 2013/12/20 08:47:56
    Yes. As an employee, you represent your company and if you do things that neg...
    Scream
    +7
    I don't know why people don't get this. It's the same even in high school, if you do something crappy or against the school's values while you represent the school, even if you're just wearing your uniform somewhere around town, they can suspend/expel you for it

• Maribel 2013/12/21 15:14:37
    Maribel
    +1
    Off course yes!!! I will fire this person right away and no hesitation about it! In the first place, why is this person working for such a company if according to his/her opinion, it's a total disaster? and what a bad employee and destructive human being, a negative person, got to do with "Freedom of Speech?"....
  • **StarzAbove** 2013/12/21 00:30:19
    **StarzAbove**
    +1
    Yes. Every company has the right to fire an employee if they are doing or saying things that damages the company's image.
  • Dark and Mysterious 2013/12/21 00:25:24
    Dark and Mysterious
    Is this a serious question lol. If Im the boss I will fire your ass for any reason I see fit. I bet the person that asked this is young ;)
  • Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2013/12/20 20:28:06
    No! That's free speech!
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Not unless you were there illegitimately advertising for that company in some way, or attending that rally as some sort of unauthorized company representative. An employer DOES NOT own the person working for them.
  • Foxhoun... Brian ☮... 2013/12/20 22:57:22 (edited)
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    Nor does the employee own the company and therefore has no say in what the company does and who it decides to hire or fire.
    amirite baby
  • Brian ☮... Foxhoun... 2013/12/20 23:29:01
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    By that line of reasoning, they should also be allowed to discriminate in any way they want, against any type of group they want...right????
  • Foxhoun... Brian ☮... 2013/12/21 08:07:33
    Foxhound BN0
    +1
    If we're talking libertarian then possibly, yes.
  • Brian ☮... Foxhoun... 2013/12/21 08:42:03
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    Well, I am a libertarian, and in a perfectly libertarian society that would the ideal. But we're NOT in a libertarian society, we're in a society that panders to special interests, and I believe that any anti discrimination laws [sic] on the books should be applied equally in all respects.
  • Dickens 2013/12/20 19:37:52 (edited)
    Dickens
    ...yes !..they're being paid to be an ASSET to the company, not a liability...when an employee becomes a detriment to a business, they should expect to get the axe...
  • Brian 2013/12/20 18:40:20
    Brian
    My company has a strict policy about this.
  • The New Old School 2013/12/20 17:06:55
    The New Old School
    Now, with that said, no one would know where I work, so they couldn't use that argument.
  • Professor Wizard 2013/12/20 15:16:32
  • Steve 2013/12/20 15:00:08
    Steve
    +2
    America has a clear legal standard of "employment at will." Unless there's a contract to the contrary, it's perfectly legal to be fired on an employer's whim. It's only illegal to fire when the reason is illegal discrimination (age, sex, religion, national origin, etc).

It's perfectly legal to be fired for, e.g., getting a tattoo. Embarrassing one's employer is a very reasonable justification for being fired.

As a society, we could choose to make laws restricting the right to fire. We'll probably add some more discrimination restrictions, but embarrassing one's employer won't be among them.
  • NearBlueHills 2013/12/20 13:36:44 (edited)
    NearBlueHills
    +1
    Yep.

If I was boss it would depend how embarrassing or angering it is. If they are getting chased by a mob or said something awful then we will not longer need there services.
  • MW121 2013/12/20 12:08:01
    MW121
    +2
    It's amazing what people post online and think what they do on their own time has nothing to do with the company they work for...
  • prayer warrior 2013/12/20 09:01:38
    prayer warrior
    +3
    There was that girl who got fired from a restraint because her dad posted something on the net. It happens all of the time.
  • Jo 2013/12/20 08:55:16
    Jo
    +4
    that's any employers right; actually, it doesn't even have to directly be related to the company and its still the widespread norm.
  • Scream 2013/12/20 08:47:56
    Scream
    +7
  • Jo Scream 2013/12/20 08:56:00
    Jo
    +4
    it really IS a no-brainer; I don't know why they don't get it, either.
  • Aliona 2013/12/20 08:40:29 (edited)
    Aliona
    +1
    At my country you can be fire just because your boss do not like how you watch at him. Or because he did not want to pay the salaries. I am boss. Hmmm ... I modestly silent. lol

But here's what I mean. Even at us you can sue the boss or company and win.

You have a country of law, is not it? So where is your Labor legislation, your contract, your Unions, your attorney. Or you disenfranchised hard labour working? Then do not ask questions. I as the boss can do to you whatever. I wonder your boss too. lol
    Especially Klan, wow! Was on your hubcap logo of your company? lol
  • Foxhoun... Aliona 2013/12/20 08:56:40
    Foxhound BN0
    +5
    I live in a "right to work" state, meaning you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. That's why wages are so low here.
  • Aliona Foxhoun... 2013/12/20 09:05:33 (edited)
    Aliona
    And no law and order? I guess if it was not in working hours and no markings company, it is still is not lawful. Dumb boss. I would not fire. Especially good worker. Even if it is not lawful gathering is dealt with by the police. I can not fire my employee for it. By law, I can not. Fun you have there, guys.
  • Alyssa 2013/12/20 08:29:56
    Alyssa
    +2
    yup yup yup... everybody frowns on the KKK
  • Foxhound BN0 2013/12/20 08:23:46
    Foxhound BN0
    +3
    Yes. Contards crack me up. They support your boss paying you so little that you have to go on food stamps. They support your boss firing you if you put a stupid picture on Facebook. They support your boss firing you if you do anything to embarrass your company. They support your boss firing you if you even complain about your job or your boss. But talk shlt about them "f*gs" and "ni****s" and embarrass the shlt out of your company? Well that's free speech! LOL Idiots.
  • Jo Foxhoun... 2013/12/20 08:57:34
    Jo
    +1
    who says all those things are supported?
  • Foxhoun... Jo 2013/12/20 09:18:29
    Foxhound BN0
    +4
    polls on sodahead.
  • Jo Foxhoun... 2013/12/20 18:13:02
    Jo
    I think you're confusing debating, discussion and lack of support for the other side of the issue---NOT the same thing.

2014/11/24 06:56:21