Should You Only Eat When You Are Hungry?

Deborah 2012/04/16 03:46:25
Yes only when you are hungry
No you should eat whenever you want
That's easier said than done because.....
Modern Western culture has distorted the innate act of eating sensibly by its overwhelming abundance of food. Sure, the presence of a culture that is sufficient and advanced enough to feed all of its citizens three times what they actually need is comforting, but along with that comes obesity and disease

When you're eating a meal, stop when you're satisfied, not when you're full. Don't you hate when you feel as if your stomach is full? This is a sign that you have made a mistake in the way you just ate. After you're done eating, your stomach should not feel empty, but also not completely full. Acquire the habit of eating slowly so you can stop when you are satisfied, not full; the brain needs about 20 minutes to get the "Not hungry anymore" signal. Should you only eat when you are hungry?Should You Only Eat When You Are Hungry Should You Only Eat When You Are Hungry

• jst2swtnsassy 2013/05/07 01:16:55
    jst2swtnsassy
    +3
    I read in a medical journal and spoke to a physician and they said they tell their patients to drink a glass of water first. If you are still hungry after you drink that, then it is true hunger. Otherwise, if you are satisfied, you were just thirsty so keep hydrated! glass of water

• La 2013/05/13 07:19:49
  • MrBubblegum 2013/05/08 01:06:35
    MrBubblegum
  • jst2swtnsassy 2013/05/07 01:16:55
    jst2swtnsassy
    +3
  • Major Mel jst2swt... 2013/07/15 18:22:29
    Major Mel
    This IS good advice for at least 2 reasons. 1.) The water makes one 'feel' fuller' plus, 2.) It actually helps flush out fat from the system.
    I try to drink 6 glasses of just plain Brita filtered tap water daily. Don't always manage this, but so far I have been able to drink 2 large glasses of H2O before breakfast every day for the last 3 months. I'm convinced this aides in maintaining my weight at a reasonable level for my age, height and bone structure.
  • Rainbowblast 2013/05/07 00:51:57
    No you should eat whenever you want
    Rainbowblast
    +1
    No. If you ONLY eat when your hungry its just nothing. You should eat a pinch of something when your not hungry. Its good for you and your stomach. Healthy too. It won't make you too skinny, or too fat.
  • lolitalovely 2013/05/01 22:45:40
    No you should eat whenever you want
    lolitalovely
    +2
    Small meals throughout the day to prevent hunger, thereby preventing over-eating. When I get hungry I go overboard just a little. I do buffets maybe twice a year.
  • akPhilly 2013/05/01 16:25:39
    akPhilly
    +2
    Alot of times yes, like sometimes people eat out of boredom when they're not hungry, or sometimes people even mistake thirst for hunger, but there are times when it can be really helpful to eat when you're not necessarily hungry. Like for example, if I only went by when I was hungry, I'd never eat anything in the morning, which slows down your metabolism. Eating something in the morning boosts your metabolism, & supposedly prevents you from eating more all throughout the day. Also, often times when we want to eat or crave certain foods, it's not necessarily when we're hungry. Like for example, often times when people go on a diet & want to lose weight, they think that so long as they won't be hungry, they'll be fine, but that's just not the case. Or you see these diets where they tell people to only eat fruit and/or vegetables, but as much as they want, & they think, 'well, since I can eat all I want of it, I won't be hungry & if I am I'll just eat more of it', but the thing is, you can eat fruit and veggies til your stomach hurts, & you may not be hungry, but you won't feel satisfied either. It's often better to just eat a small portion of the food you're craving rather than depriving yourself, because often what will happen is you say f*ck it, & then eating too much of it.
  • J.MaisOui 2013/05/01 04:30:11
    Yes only when you are hungry
    J.MaisOui
    +2
    -but i'm only hungry at 7 p.m.,so make myself eat fruit,or something in the day. i think a few small meals is supposed to be best,to keep your energy going..-gonna get to that one day.
  • Sofia ☆ Come Along, Pond 2013/05/01 01:13:26 (edited)
    Sofia ☆ Come Along, Pond
    +1
    If someone wants to have a safe feeding (or something like that), they should eat six times a day (breakfast, snack, lunch, snak, a light diner and another snack), not matter if they're hungry or not. Getting too hungry will make the fats on the food be more effective on the body.
  • Flamingolady 2013/05/01 00:25:21
    Flamingolady
    +1
    I try to only eat when hungry, but then something just JUMPS out of the fridge or pantry to make me eat it! I swear, it happens. cheetos jalapenos rolos black walnut ice cream
  • Patrick Moser 2013/04/30 22:29:28
    Patrick Moser
    +1
    Advice my mother was a modle...have me you should eat to live, not live to eat...my husband of 25 years lives by the same philosophy.. You know what that say we marrie our mothers...
  • Major Mel 2013/04/30 20:22:26
    Major Mel
    +3
    The human body typically responds best to regular, not especially large, but well balanced meals. Some advocate 4 or 5 small meals per day because it can actually help one to lose excess fat, so long as the meals do not consist of junk food.
  • clasact 2013/04/30 20:18:47
    No you should eat whenever you want
    clasact
    +1
    you should be able to eat when you want but some common sense goes along with this. For instance I don't eat after 8pm ,I don't want whatever to be sitting on my gut all night. I eat till I am satisfied not stuffed and eat in moderation, just because it says all you can eat that dose not mean keep going back till you can move
  • Racefish 2013/04/30 20:15:05
    Yes only when you are hungry
    Racefish
    +1
    When you're stoned, resist.......resist. stoned with the munchies
  • Kurt 2013/04/30 19:44:51
    Kurt
    +1
    Alot of times you have a craving for something and won't finish till its sated.
  • eli 2013/04/30 19:26:37
    eli
    +2
    small potions of food through out the day... This will maintain the sugar level in blood steam and makes one less hungry at night. Best way to eat and stay healthy.
  • cyn 2013/04/30 19:16:44
    cyn
    +2
    I think that you should only eat when your hungry but there are times you see something you and that all bets are off and you eat it.
  • cocktailsquid 2013/04/30 19:04:58
    cocktailsquid
    +2
    You should eat primarily when you are hungry, but that isn't a hard and fast rule. Sometimes you are hungry when you have already eaten, and you shouldn't really be eating more. Sometimes you haven't eaten at all and aren't hungry. At other times, such as when you have blood sugar issues, you have to eat when it is needed, hungry or not. You have to understand your body and let it guide you on when to eat. I don't think it is wrong to eat when you aren't hungry, just for enjoyment; but it is something that you need to be careful of, unless you don't mind having a weight (and health) problem.
  • Alexander T Steward 2013/04/30 18:58:28
  • flyingseaturtle BN 2013/04/30 18:56:30
    Yes only when you are hungry
    flyingseaturtle BN
    +3
    I think it is good to eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are not. I don't like feeling stuffed ;-)
  • rmhoperenton 2013/04/30 18:51:35
    Yes only when you are hungry
    rmhoperenton
    +2
    Of course I'm nearly always hungry. I think different styles of eating are best depending on who you are and what your overall activity level is though. I'm usually just a little hungry but don't eat unless something healthy is available.
  • Mrs.B 2013/04/30 18:49:59
    Mrs.B
    +2
    I honestly believe you should eat 6 small meals, or three meals with three healthy snacks
  • Car1u5~PWCM~JLA 2013/04/30 18:41:13
    Car1u5~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    As long as you are a healthy weight that is all that matters, no matter how much you eat.
  • NYCbrit 2013/04/30 18:32:02
    NYCbrit
    +2
    Sometimes I forget to eat.
  • Jack's Pearl 2013/04/30 18:29:54
    Yes only when you are hungry
    Jack's Pearl
    +3
    That is the purpose of food. To nourish and ease hunger. Hunger can be experienced in different ways too. For instance, sometimes you aren't really hungry, you are just bored or sad or excited. Emotions play a big part. If you learn this and get use to it you only eat when actually needed.
  • hasher 2013/04/30 16:45:32
    Yes only when you are hungry
    hasher
    +3
    i have made it a point this year to cut back on food. istill eat what i want im just eating less of it. hopefully i will lose some weight and im working out as well.
  • Major Mel hasher 2013/07/03 13:55:57
    Major Mel
    Good for you! Don't forget to drink lots of pure water. It aides the body in not only flushing out normally to be expected toxins, but it also helps the body eliminate excess stored fat (and at the same time gives a 'feeling' of fullness!) 6-8 glasses (10 to 12 oz each) per day.
  • Jerry 2013/04/30 08:10:37
    Jerry
    +2
    .......... " ........ it's different for each person, in my case, I'm a type 2 diabetic, so my doctor has advised me to eat small portions of foods, throughout the day, ...... it's called grazeing ,..... like cattle eating out in the field....... so in my case, skipping meals would be a bad thing, and overeating, that is bad also......... for non diabetics, different ways to eat may be an allowance for food more often, even specialty choices, but not for me........ " ......
  • Michael Hertel 2013/04/30 07:28:00
    Michael Hertel
    +2
    That depends on so many factors.
    If when you wait to get truly hungry you eat a very big meal then you are not helping your body. Small sensible meals spaced throughout the day will be much better for you. When we eat very big meals our body must work very hard to capture all the energy available and store it usually in the form of fat. That large amount of fat traveling around in you body is very bad for you.
  • cyclone 2013/04/30 02:42:56
    Yes only when you are hungry
    cyclone
    +2
    That would seem to be the appropriate answer, we are pretty much conditioned to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner,but our mood can also be a factor.
  • kitkat42 2013/04/30 01:32:19
    Yes only when you are hungry
    kitkat42
    +2
    But you have to know the right time. Don't wait so long that you stuff yourself silly because you're over hungry. :)
  • Deborah kitkat42 2013/04/30 01:35:12
    Deborah
    +2
    Yes that is a mistake a lot of people make.
  • Matthew Schafer 2013/04/29 12:45:29
    No you should eat whenever you want
    Matthew Schafer
    +2
    i need to overeat on junk food to make me hot!!! also overeat to take care of my emotions!
  • Deborah Matthew... 2013/04/30 01:25:10
    Deborah
    +1
    How does over eating make you hot?
  • Jammer 2012/04/20 01:42:41
    Jammer
    +2
    eat little and often. Keeps the matabolism up and keeps you more active. IMO
  • Deborah Jammer 2012/04/24 11:31:24
    Deborah
    True
  • hari 2012/04/16 08:05:28
    Yes only when you are hungry
    hari
    +2
    do not make yr tummy a garbage ....... also there are no teeth inside tummy for crushing and digestion
  • sky 2012/04/16 06:01:18
    Yes only when you are hungry
    sky
    +2
    And always stop when you are no longer
    hungry - NOT when you are FULL.
  • BoomLover 2012/04/16 04:29:39
    Yes only when you are hungry
    BoomLover
    +3
    That's the bottom line...your body should tell you when you need the food, not a clock....
  • Ol'Dave 2012/04/16 04:10:52
    Yes only when you are hungry
    Ol'Dave
    +2
    If you want to LOSE WEIGHT!

2014/12/22 22:21:10