Should you have respect for people's opinions, even if you don't agree??

Jersey Roze ♥Jwon's Cyar'ika ♥ 2012/02/21 16:43:39
Related Topics: Opinion

• I'm History 2012/02/21 21:02:00
    Other,...
    I'm History
    +1
    If that were the case we wouldn't need two different political parties, now would we???
    But we do because people "don't" respect others opinions when they think they are wrong.
    Oh I know it sounds like everyone is being respectful and nice to their fellow man, but that's a pipe dream, because in the real world people don't respect opinions from people they think are wrong or just plain stupid, I know I don't if someone acts like a fool. And neither do most people I would imagine. Look at America, what do yu see????
    You see like no other time in history there are hundreds of political parties out there, all the tea parties, the wall street occupiers, and dozens of other smaller groups all wanting to lead America in a different way, and that's because they don't respect the leadership we do have, they don't agree with the status quo!!!
    So NO, I don not respect opinions of people who are wrong, that's my opinion, lol!!!
  • Blood Bathed Angel 2012/02/21 21:01:58
    Yes,...
    Blood Bathed Angel
    +3
    Always. Opinions can often relate too feelings. Respecting someones opinion is respecting their feelings.
  • ali 2012/02/21 21:01:43
    Other,...
    ali
    +3
    i respect only if they do not insult others.
  • Delicious Crab Meat 2012/02/21 19:57:54
    Other,...
    Delicious Crab Meat
    +3
    So long as their opinions are not reprehensible, I will respect them.
  • Simeon~thegayliberal 2012/02/21 19:49:20
    Other,...
    Simeon~thegayliberal
    +3
    Opinions do not warrant respect simply on the basis of them being opinions. For example, I won't respect the opinion of someone who believes that Jews should all be killed.
  • Dwight Simeon~... 2012/02/22 01:58:01
    Dwight
    Good answer.
  • harley oldman 2012/02/21 19:47:12
    Yes,...
    harley oldman
    +1
    Of Course...(Even when you know they`re full of Crap)
  • opie 2012/02/21 19:43:24
    Yes,...
    opie
    +1
    ya you should and they should do the same
  • Barbara 2012/02/21 19:41:38
    Yes,...
    Barbara
    +1
    Absolutely!
  • TheMadChameleon 2012/02/21 19:40:23
    Yes,...
    TheMadChameleon
    +2
    It's impossible to get anything done otherwise! Besides, most people have their reasons for their opinions, and there is usually some sort of explanation behind each opinion. If an opinion is destructive, that is another matter.
  • seasmoke70 2012/02/21 19:32:15 (edited)
    Other,...
    seasmoke70
    +2
    It depends on the situation. You get what you give, and if you express a potentially differing opinion to someone in a disrespectful manner...don't expect that person to reciprocate with respect towards you.
  • jere.chievres 2012/02/21 19:24:21
    Other,...
    jere.chievres
    +2
    It depends on what and how they express themselves.
  • Wanderer 2012/02/21 19:17:16
    Yes,...
    Wanderer
    +2
    Everyone has an opinion and whether you want to take it on board or not is up to the individual.Some may be disrespectful,they can be ignored others might be ignorant but it doesn't really matter what is said as long as you can hold on to your own ideals. Respect generally has to be earned,but if you don't respect peoples opinion that respect can be hard to create.
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/02/21 19:08:04
    Yes,...
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +2
    We all have the right to free speech in this country and that means ALL speech. However opinions are not facts. I think we must respect another person's right to speak their opinion but we do not have to treat if as factual. An extreme case: I would always defend the right of the KKK to speak freely in any public forum but I would fight against teaching their opinions about racial superiority as anything other their opinion. It's a fine line but an important one if you believe the 1st amendment.
  • Robbb 2012/02/21 19:07:46
    No,...
    Robbb
    +3
    No, if you disagree then you obvously have no respect for their oppinion. However you should repect a persons right to hold or express an opinion. Even if the opinion they hold merely proves that they are idiots.
  • Mark 2012/02/21 19:07:04
    Yes,...
    Mark
    +2
    In principle yes. However, I must admit to a reflex reaction of irritation before I start to argue with some people. Wasnt on here, but somewhere else where people were seriously suggesting incest was ok. My reflex reaction was ewww! Before I could argue with them
  • Robbb Mark 2012/02/21 19:17:05
    Robbb
    +2
    There are a growing number of countries rescinding old incest laws because modern scientific thought is finding that the majority of the grounds against it are more cultural then realistic. In Japan for example incest laws were rescinded more then a century ago. Never the less If you are for your own reasons convinced that there is a problem with incest then there is no reason for you to respect the opinion that it is. it would be reasonable though that you respect an others right to have an opinion. If we don’t have the ability to freely hold opinion then we end up with taboo subjects that are as a result never sorted out because people are afraid to talk about them often leading to abusive situations and subcultures.
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/02/21 18:59:18
    No,...
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    I think it's more important to have respect for the person. If someone has a harmful opinion (i.e. The Holocaust never occurred), I have no respect for the opinion.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/02/21 18:55:20
    Yes,...
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    +2
    But it should also work the other way around and to often it doesn't.
  • TheLightBehindYourEyes 2012/02/21 18:49:33
    Other,...
    TheLightBehindYourEyes
    +2
    We should have respect for others opinions after all we are all entitled to one, but sometimes it is hard to, at least for me, especially when I feel strongly about something.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/02/21 18:40:14 (edited)
    Other,...
    Bibliophilic
    +4
    Well, it depends on how they communicate their opinions and the quality of our further interactions. No I do not respect all opinions. I do not respect racist, sexist or homophobic opinions- which are generally based on flawed ideology and quack science. Also stating an opinion in order to provoke someone is not respectable, although it can be rather amusing.
  • Elz 2012/02/21 18:27:19
    Yes,...
    Elz
    +1
    yes, if you don't like what someone says, then just ignore their comment or say thanks.
  • Robbb Elz 2012/02/21 19:18:53
    Robbb
    +2
    That is not having respect for an opinion , that is having respect for the right to have an oppinion.
  • Elz Robbb 2012/02/21 19:59:46
    Elz
    +1
    its the same thing.
  • Robbb Elz 2012/02/21 21:05:34
    Robbb
    +1
    No it is not, I respect your right to have and express your opinion. However if you tell me that in your oppinion child sex slavers are respectable business men there is no way that I wil even opretend to respect your opinion. And that would be because your opinion would not deserve respect. so it is definitely not the same.
  • Elz Robbb 2012/02/22 19:17:20
    Elz
    +1
    im not saying you have to respect it. im just saying either ignoring it or saying thanks will avoid having too much drama and conflict over an internet comment.
  • Robbb Elz 2012/02/23 09:40:18
    Robbb
    +1
    But where is the fun in that? I like to comment on the comments made by others and I take it that they invite comment otherwise they should keep it to themselves. People learn by comparing and airing their ideas, it is one of the wonderful things about the web. I have argued points that people seemed quite strong on and won them around and that feels good to me.
  • Elz Robbb 2012/02/24 14:50:00
    Elz
    +2
    well do whatever you do. yeah I can see that you're arguing with me. But most of the time when I see someone make an ignorant comment I would just ignore it.
  • Robbb Elz 2012/02/24 21:59:57
    Robbb
    +1
    that sounds fair enough. but sometime it may just be a different point of veiw.
  • Elz Robbb 2012/02/24 22:08:10
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/02/21 18:07:52
    Yes,...
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    This only means passing it by and not getting rude over it. That is being respectful about it. You don't have to respect the opinion per se, but you don't need to be rude either.
  • Reverend Hell 2012/02/21 18:07:32
    Yes,...
    Reverend Hell
    +1
    Most definitely- Why make an enemy based on an opinion? If someone else wants to do that, that's on them...
  • NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~ 2012/02/21 18:00:41
    Other,...
    NObamaGirl ~ Viva Cristo Rey!~
    +2
    Yes, but only if those opinions aren't harmful.

If a friend of mine was of the opinion that he should commit suicide, I wouldn't respect his opinion. :P
  • Luke 2012/02/21 17:59:24
    Yes,...
    Luke
    +2
    but that dosen't work like that here on SH
  • unaff 2012/02/21 17:57:29
    Yes,...
    unaff
    +2
    ...but respect has to be earned.
  • Blackberry 2012/02/21 17:52:30 (edited)
    No,...
    Blackberry
    +2
    No, not all opinions are equal. If my opinion is that there's nothing wrong with pedophilia, you won't see many people respect me or my opinion now will you?

If it's your opinion that you should be able to not properly educate your kid or physically abuse them because your religion tells you to, I don't respect you or your opinion.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov
  • v i o l e t 2012/02/21 17:29:26
    Other,...
    v i o l e t
    +2
    I think I do for the most part.

The problem I have sometimes is how people express it in general or back to me as a comment or reply. For instance a person insulted my opinion and then said it was ungrounded. I have no respect for comments like that. You could have done without the insult and stated exactly why he thought what he thought. Then there's some who are extreme and fly off the handle.. had to laugh sometimes when people do that.
  • Red_Horse 2012/02/21 17:29:15
  • Eddie_DOMA_is_dead 2012/02/21 17:22:46
  • JoeBlo 2012/02/21 17:20:19 (edited)
    Yes,...
    JoeBlo
    +2
    Because to simply discount them will end the conversation that needs to take place in order to correct what's REALLY the problem.

2014/12/18 19:35:37