Should women cut their hair shorter as they age?

MissPick 2007/09/10 09:06:17
So many women cut their hair into a short style when they hit certain ages. It seems that if a woman decides to keep her hair long into her 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond, she is trying to look like a twenty year old. In comes the "Nana cut". You'd think it was a law! Short hair can be hard to fix every day and who would want to take all that time?

• Ginny 2007/09/11 19:22:57
    Ginny
    +6
    I think it depends on the woman, her type of hair, her face and body shape not age! And of course a great hair cut no matter what length makes a big difference.

• lyndacw1 2014/01/09 00:57:50
    lyndacw1
    I have had my hair long the the past 15 yrs don't see why I should change just because a bunch of opionated, bossy fashion police tell me what I should do, especially if they are younger.go to your rooms and come out when you have something sensible to say.
  • mocchacino 2011/07/13 23:40:00
    mocchacino
    i'm 58,it's my choice how i wear my hair.
    Depends on the person!
  • Robbie 2009/08/03 18:54:01
    Robbie
    +1
    Nothing keeps a woman looking youthful and dramatically sensuous than well-maintained LONG hair. Cutting is almost always a huge mistake, in this man's eyes.
  • artist1963-Progressive Patr... 2008/12/21 22:06:43
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    +1
    If a woman looks good with her hair long as she ages, why not keep it long? My mother is 67 years old and her hair is down to the middle of her back and she's beautiful to boot. People STILL think we could be sisters, not mother and daughter and my mother still has guys 1/2 her age complimenting on how pretty she is. She's tall, slender and has the type of legs that look great in hip hugger jeans.
  • Lunacat 2008/12/21 20:42:48
    Lunacat
    +1
    I'm 49 and don't ever intend on having short hair. I am not concerned with what "others" think.
  • SHER♥ 2008/12/21 20:35:51
    SHER♥
    +2
    I am 47 and my hair is all one length and long and straight. I think I look younger with my hair long. I keep it trimmed and colored. I don't feel old, so why should I try and look old?
  • dill fazie SHER♥ 2008/12/22 00:30:32
    dill fazie
    +1
    My better HALF, is allowing her hair to grow again, in our younger years it was never above mid back...
  • SHER♥ dill fazie 2008/12/22 01:24:36
    SHER♥
    +1
    My hair is parted right down the middle, straight, dark brown and to the middle of my back. I cut it really short for a couple years, but I've always worn my hair long, so I've grown it back. My husband loves it.
  • Lissa 2008/08/28 18:05:13
    Lissa
    +1
    The people who think women should have a granny style at any age will be very disappointed with me because I'll refuse to comply.
  • pianoman 2008/08/13 17:18:22
    pianoman
    +1
    Shoulder length is acceptable for attraction but any shorter borders on the edge of masculinity
  • meowomon 2008/07/03 11:08:20 (edited)
    meowomon
    Some women should, but there are some gloriously beautiful older women who can pull it off.
  • no one here 2008/07/01 21:22:35
    no one here
    I might be attracted to some of those women if they had long hair. But because it is short it looks horrific (lol)................. Not being a twenty year old, but cutting of their women power.....
  • terry 2008/06/15 13:51:44
    terry
    First of all, the one cutting her hair is most likely not the woman herself
    but a 'professional' who suggests it. To me slogans like 'short and sassy' and 'age appropriate' are pure Wall Street (see Edward Bernays). Until the end of the second world war, senior or mature women were not so dominated by Paris, NY, or London's men with scissors and a comb. So, if she can make her choice without them, I can believe that IT IS her choice. In a culture that proudly blurs, visually and socially, what being a man or woman is, I get very suspicious when I see a mature, long haired woman being buzzed by a man on television who claims to be her liberator. Many women in non-Western lands and now even in some European lands keep long their locks as they age and it remains appropriate. American women, inculcated as they are, may have more work to do in freeing their minds before being 'free' of their long hair.
  • PoochesMom 2008/06/11 15:47:39 (edited)
    PoochesMom
    +1
    I'm 48 and my mother has been bugging me to cut my long hair for years. I wear it up most of the time because I live in the South, but I like to wear it down on special occasions or when I'm home with my husband. I keep it styled and highlighted. When I do wear it down, I receive tons of compliments (I'm a college professor) from - you guessed it - male professors and students. "I wish my wife would grow out her hair" or "I'm so glad you don't subscribe to the 'cut your hair at 40 rule!'" I asked my stylist if I should cut my hair short - or shorter - to which she replied, "Sure, if you want to look 10 yrs older!" Case closed.
  • Pinky 2008/04/28 22:07:13
    Pinky
    Older, long OK, probably better to end length at shoulders. Study your face. Do what makes you feel comfortable, but do not cut hair just because some poeple think you should.
  • Carole 2008/04/06 23:08:34
  • Arel 2008/04/03 17:27:54
    Arel
    and if they have dark hair they should lighten it a little it keeps you looking youthful and fresh.
  • Cassie 2008/01/27 18:18:55
    Cassie
    It is really up to the person, but I know a lot of older ladies, and I've come to realize that they look younger with shorter hair.
    +1
    it's up to the woman....I am sitting here in pigtails hehehe
  • Linda 2008/01/25 20:26:41
    Linda
    +2
    I will not cut my hair shorter when I get older. But I will definitly colour it if it turns into grey. haha
  • Emily2531 2008/01/08 23:02:38
    Emily2531
    +1
    long hair is a symbol of sexuality, and in our youth-obsessed society, we aren't comfortable with an older woman as a sexual being.
  • Gale 2007/11/24 18:22:39
    Gale
    Depends on how you look. The shape of your face, if you are tall or short. Not because of age.
  • Crissy 2007/11/10 03:43:50
    Crissy
    +1
    I get my hair trimmed once every couple of months, and about every fourth year I chop all of my hair off and donate it to Locks of Love. I plan to do this for the rest of my life. I have also found that when my hair is short, it is so much easier to take care of...seriously, blowdry and style in less than five minutes (and I also save a ton of money on shampoo). When it's long it takes more shampoo, more time to dry, more time to style, but less time to look like crap (let's face it..ponytail...easy as it can get). I do not plan by any means to look youthful either way, long or short. My mom, who is 55, does the same. I just donated a 18 inch ponytail, and she just donated a 15 inch one.
  • <--That guy 2007/10/08 13:04:26
    <--That guy
    +1
    If they want to. It's their choice. Some women look good with short hair. But your hairstyle is up to you, so I don't think anyone "should" do their hair a specific way once reaching a certain age just because.
  • La Saria 2007/09/19 19:51:02
    La Saria
    It all depends. If a woman has thick hair, she should keep it longer. But a lot of women lose hair as they age, so they should cut it short.
  • Piglet 2007/09/12 00:26:24
    Piglet
    +1
    No, no, no! I hate that! It's like there's a rule that says 'you are this old...so your hair has to be this short'. Short hair only makes them look older. I don't like it at all!
  • MissPick Piglet 2007/09/12 03:20:44
    MissPick
    +1
    I agree with you, Martha! I started this poll question because I hear so many people who continually say that when a woman gets past the age of 30, she needs to start wearing her hair shorter. I don't understand it! Long hair can be the easiest to take care of. Up in a clip, in a pony tail, braided or just left as is. Short hair can mean some serious upkeep! Depending on hair type! I don't have the time for special blow drying and curling irons and products to hold a certain style. I like it long for me. It's just easier!
  • ARMENTHIA 2007/09/11 23:16:36
    ARMENTHIA
    I agree wholeheartedly with GINNY.

THUMBS UP!
  • Ginny 2007/09/11 19:22:57
    Ginny
    +6
  • roger 2007/09/11 18:19:35
    roger
    +2
    All women should keep their hair same length as the men...lol Really it's up to the person; do what makes you feel good and don't worry what others and latest craze is!
  • Shroom 2007/09/11 16:53:59
    Shroom
    +1
    I've seen some women in their 70's and 80's with lovely long hair. Depends on the person.
  • River 2007/09/11 14:34:39
    River
    +1
    Just my personal preference. I think very long hair can weigh down some women. There are many flattering hairstyles for mature women. It does not mean that they need a short granny haircut, just something less heavy. Of course, there are always exceptions.
  • The Hand of John 2007/09/11 12:47:53
    The Hand of John
    depends on the woman and her general appearance I suppose. Some women rock long hair some do shorter hair better.
  • shiela33 2007/09/11 08:42:32 (edited)
  • Natmike 2007/09/11 03:32:36
    Natmike
    For something as personal as the length of one's hair, no one has the right to dictate what is appropriate one way or the other. I do think that women at different ages can enhance their appearance by adapting their hair style and clothing to fit their stage of life. The same applies to us men but we often don't take as much care with our appearances as do our better halves. You should wear your hair how it makes you happy - period.
  • MMAR 2007/09/11 00:45:03 (edited)
    MMAR
    +1
    NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A SHAGGY OLD LADY WITH LONG STRINGY HAIR...THANKS FOR REMINDING ME -I NEED A HAIR CUT....
  • lyndacw1 MMAR 2012/11/09 09:37:34
    lyndacw1
    Who died and made you the the boss.MYOflippin business
  • greenwoodtree 2007/09/10 23:45:49
    greenwoodtree
    +1
    I vote for short hair unless it's worn up (or depending on ethnicity, in a long braid down the back. Once I was in line in the post office and there was this gorgeous-looking woman with her back to me. She had beautiful blonde hair half way down her back with short shorts and legs to die for. Then she turned around and looked like Gravel Gertie at age 70. She sure didn't fool anyone face forward.
  • Magzilla 2007/09/10 22:48:25
    Magzilla
    it is their choice

2014/07/24 08:42:40