Should we allow students in school to openly pray?

LoraA 2012/11/13 19:04:16

• Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/11/13 19:35:59
    yes! everyone has a right to pray wherever and whenever they want!
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +6
    I pray openly when we eat out over our food. And if the kid isn't disrupting anything, I don't see how he is hurting anything.

• John Galt jr or Ron/jon 2012/11/22 05:11:08
    John Galt jr or Ron/jon
    silent prayer has passed more tests than studying
  • iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~ 2012/11/16 21:51:56
    iamthemob ~ the 444th Guru ~
    Uhm...not "wherever and whenever they want" as that would be UTTERLY disruptive to classroom scheduling...

...however, students are allowed to pray where there can be a reasonable accommodation, and are allowed to pray during general free times already.
  • Artemis 2012/11/16 04:43:43 (edited)
    Artemis
    I think if someone clasps their hands and prays before a test or something that's fine, they shouldn't be thrown out of the classroom or anything like that. But it shouldn't be anything out loud or too distracting. In my school we had designated praying rooms that students could go to if they needed to pray. I think that's a good idea.

Edit: I forgot, praying out loud before a meal is okay too; I always try to pray before meals. I'm just saying it'd be inappropriate to start praying at the top of your voice in the middle of class or something.
  • Big Mike 2012/11/16 01:25:01
    Big Mike
    Pray is a form of speech and we have this thing call the right to free speech.
  • retrograve 2012/11/15 23:36:43
    retrograve
    The school isn't forcing them to pray or leading them in one, so I why not? I know I've prayed many a times when it came to getting a test back in school.

I'm only against it when the school makes you do it.
  • bpf 2012/11/15 04:17:45 (edited)
    bpf
    For the Progressive morons...it's "FREEDOM OF RELIGION"..........not Freedom from Religion...It's a wonder how these so called left-wing elitist do not know what is written into the Constitution and what has been misquoted!! Before the atheist had the rights of the Majority of Americans removed we would have a minute of " SILENT PRAYER" no one had to pray, no one had to listen, if you wanted just sit there and shut up, close your eyes and take a quick nap and if you wanted to you prayed...SILENTLY!!! What the atheist and the progressives want is their rights forced on everyone else.
  • Jim 2012/11/15 01:24:20
    NO. Praying is private and should be done at church or at home!
    Jim
    Praying in school is a the pathetic display of attention whores. Another symptom of Americanized pop-christianity that has cause the faith to lose credibility.

Straight from the Bible itself. Matthew 6:5-6.

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
  • elijahin24 2012/11/14 21:16:08
    elijahin24
    +1
    What we should NOT do, however, is provide them special times and locations. They can pray between classes, during lunch, or quietly at their desks. If their religion requires them to pray at certain times, which interfere with class, they should be allowed to excuse themselves, as long as they do not disrupt class. But that's it. And it CERTAINLY should not be led by any school faculty.
  • Mrs. Kathy Arch 2012/11/14 14:00:05
    Mrs. Kathy Arch
    +1
    As long as there are tests, there WILL be prayer in schools.
  • ruru 2012/11/14 07:18:16
    ruru
    I don't know what kind of idiot would say no.
  • Running with ✄ 2012/11/14 06:53:41
    Running with ✄
    of course
  • Donald Eric Kesler 2012/11/14 05:52:36
    Donald Eric Kesler
    To the best of my knowledge no one is preventing anyone from praying in schools. As representatives of the state, teachers should not be leading their students in any sort of religious ceremony, but students, provided they aren't being disruptive, are free to pray as much as they like. It won't make their grades any better, but they are welcomed to try.
  • Mykonos_(Mickey) 2012/11/14 05:43:57
    Mykonos_(Mickey)
    -_-
  • JohnT 2012/11/14 05:26:47
    JohnT
    This is not Communist China, of course they should be able to pray where they want to. I am not religious but it isn't my business. If it makes them feel better I am all for it.
  • cheetahlover156 2012/11/14 04:22:25
    cheetahlover156
    It's a right by the First Amendment that isn't banned for Muslims.
  • star 2012/11/14 04:01:27
    star
    +2
    What are people afraid of? What harm does praying do? People curse, Use foul language no ones tries to stop them. Students bully others. No one stops them. People need to grow up. Keeping people from praying is another form of bullying. Praying is freedom of speech.
  • evangelism_vision 2012/11/14 03:52:18
    evangelism_vision
    +2
    AMENDMENT I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

SOUNDS CLEAR ENOUGH TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Only ones who complain are the Atheist... Of which I use to be one. But now I am a Jewish Christian and I accept Jesus Christ as the Messiah

Prayer should be allowed anywhere... After all, do you see the Government stopping Muslims? No, Just Christians and Jews
  • Grammar... evangel... 2012/11/16 15:57:31
    Grammar Freak
    I agree with your post right up to the last exclamation point... after that, I find it pure rubbish.
    I clicked the thumbs-up button by accident.
  • evangel... Grammar... 2012/11/16 16:49:03
    evangelism_vision
    Take it back then makes no difference to me. What I posted, I stand by. Let the Chips fall where they fall
  • sm237 2012/11/14 03:29:42
    sm237
    +2
    Freedom of religion, or no religion is OUR RIGHT and no one should have a say in restricting that right....
  • Diana 2012/11/14 03:20:32
    Diana
    +1
    Sure I see no harm in it.
  • KoAm 2012/11/14 03:03:44
    KoAm
    +1
    Right in the middle of class wouldn't be a good time, as it can be distracting and even disruptive.

Generally, though, as long as it's not interfering with the regular flow of a school day (e.g., in between classes or during lunch or recess), students should be allowed to pray. Teachers and staff, too.

It should be allowed as long as freedom of speech and freedom of religion still exist. Which, unfortunately, I'm not so sure how much longer they will exist, given the current left-leaning political climate.
  • Clay Sl... KoAm 2012/11/14 15:58:15
    Clay Slayer
    The only problem is if it is a public school.. Allowing prayer is endorsing religion. government entities (and schools are government entities) unless private,, cannot by law endorse any religious activity. If they want to pray, find an empty room and have fun..
  • squirrelluv11 2012/11/14 02:41:51
    squirrelluv11
    +2
    There is absolutely no reason why praying in school shouldn't be aloud. To me this is like someone coming up to you and asking "Should public breathing be allowed?" This is something that can't be stopped, its the same with praying.
  • Sodahead Founders are Fascists 2012/11/14 02:34:28
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    +1
    Not during class.
  • Grammar... Sodahea... 2012/11/16 16:02:59
    Grammar Freak
    Ha!
    That's when most kids do the bulk of their praying!
    "Gawd, let him/her look at me, pleeeeeeeaaase!"
    "Gawd, don't let him/her look at me, pleeeeeease!"
    "Gawd, help me pass this test, pleeeeeeeeaase!"
    "Gawd, don't let me get caught looking at his/her paper, pleeeeeeeaase!"
    "Gawd, don't let him/her call on me, pleeeeeeaase!"
    "Gawd, don't let me mess up this presentation, pleeeeeeeeaaase!"
    etc.

Don't you remember?
    They say there are no atheists in foxholes. I say there are no real atheists at school.
  • baron 2012/11/14 02:30:01
    baron
    +1
    its giving thanks to god isnt it
  • No One 2012/11/14 02:21:01
    No One
    +1
    And they already can although what they cannot do is get other students to pray with them or ask others to be quiet so that they can pray.
  • Meagan 2012/11/14 02:18:24
    Meagan
    +1
    I can't see why not. I hate hearing and watching people eat but I don't tell people they can't do that around me. Besides, shouldn't you embrace something positive like praying?
  • Adam 2012/11/14 02:15:21
    Adam
    +1
    Both. You have a right to pray, though it should in no way be sanctioned by the school. As for if its a good idea to pray in school, well, it is said that the better place to pray is in the closet. Making a public spectacle of praying is probably not much of a spiritual fulfillment.
  • Keegan The Fabulous 2012/11/14 02:12:35
    Keegan The Fabulous
    +1
    As long as they don't disturb other students' privacy and morph into āshols when asked to be quieter about it. Otherwise, I could care much less.
  • Zepland 2012/11/14 02:01:21
    Zepland
    +1
    Anybody can pray in school or anyplace else.
  • ALofRI 2012/11/14 01:02:39
    ALofRI
    I don't have anything against people doing what their religion requires. Just do it FOR yourself, BY yourself, OFF BY YOURSELF. If you feel the need, do it, but don't make a spectacle of yourself or try to be an example. religion should be "personal", unless you are in a group of "like-minded people", then blow your mind. When there are others with different beliefs, (or none), give them the respect YOU expect.
  • Clay Sl... ALofRI 2012/11/14 15:59:33
    Clay Slayer
    what does the bible say about praying in public? or going to churches and synogogs???

LOL
  • 666_Maggots~I'm a female! 2012/11/14 00:58:16 (edited)
    666_Maggots~I'm a female!
    +4
    Why not? The 1st amendment says they can. Even though I'm a LaVeyan Satanist and don't believe in it, they deserve to practice their beliefs, just like other people should, too. They're not hurting anyone. As long as no one is forced to pray, no problem is caused.
  • kfallslady 2012/11/14 00:54:22
    kfallslady
    +2
    everyone should have the right to pray, I believe we are still a christian Nation In God we Trust
  • Clay Sl... kfallslady 2012/11/14 16:01:47
    Clay Slayer
    +2
    WE ;the USA are not a christian nation,, we are a Secular nation that happens to have a bunch of Christians, among probably 50 other religions.. as its inhabitants...
  • kfallslady Clay Sl... 2012/11/15 02:13:41
    kfallslady
    you believe what you want I will believe in my God.... we all have opinions and free speach now bugger off
  • Clay Sl... kfallslady 2012/11/15 14:42:52
    Clay Slayer
    truth hurt! and then the typical thumpers greeting...LMAO...Get over yourself...
  • Grammar... kfallslady 2012/11/16 16:09:05
    Grammar Freak
    This particular post completely contradicts your original post.

...funny that.

2014/09/02 06:56:29