Should those on Neighborhood Watch carry guns?

Sister Jean 2012/05/05 15:37:22
Related Topics: Guns, Watch
carry cell phone

• TuringsChild 2012/05/07 05:32:11
    yes
    TuringsChild
    +3
    In the US we have something called the 2nd Amendment. EVERYONE has that right.
  • Gunner 2012/05/07 02:50:17
    no
    Gunner
    +1
    They are not peace officers.
  • Nanjing03 2012/05/06 21:39:50
    yes
    Nanjing03
    +1
    I have never been part of a neighborhood watch and there is little need here since we have pretty good coverage from the Sheriff's Department -- not to mention that this is a predominantly military community and today's armed forces personnel believe in the 2nd Amendment, concealed carry permits, and aggressive home defense for themselves and their neighbors. There are also plenty of older and recent veterans, and off duty LEOs. Regardless, I cannot imagine being out in my half rural intercoastal island community at night and being unarmed. Of course, the cell phone is a must at home and in the vehicle, as is a good wireless home alarm and a security/fire/hazardous weather plan to go with it.

If any residents here ever decide to start a community watch, I will support them regardless of whether or not they choose to be armed, however, I will ask that they be trained in weapons safety, communications, use-of-force and proper procedures regarding security -- as we all should be just to carry a weapon -- and that they work closely with the Sheriff's Department for their own safety and the safety of the responding deputies and residents.
  • ehrhornp 2012/05/06 16:21:36
    no
    ehrhornp
    +1
    It is ridiculous to give people who are not trained guns with the authority to snoop around people's houses. Zimmerman's homeowner association will probably be hit with a huge liability suit.
  • Sister ... ehrhornp 2012/05/06 16:24:57
  • Nanjing03 ehrhornp 2012/05/06 22:05:00
    Nanjing03
    +1
    I didn't know that snooping around houses by people who are armed and untrained in the use of arms was part of the question. Did I miss something.
  • ehrhornp Nanjing03 2012/05/06 23:04:30
    ehrhornp
    Apparently you did. lol
  • diane RN ehrhornp 2012/05/08 23:10:13
    diane RN
    In Florida before they issue a concealed carry permit you have to show proof that you have completed a NRA, DD-14, state training course, etc. . Persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card to satisfy the training requirement. So I would not say that they are not trained.
  • ehrhornp diane RN 2012/05/09 00:38:09
    ehrhornp
    With the number of gun accidents that happen each year, it would appear that many places do not have such training or it is soon forgotten. Is there any follow up training? I am in insurance and in order to renew my license, I have to fulfill continuing education requirements.
  • diane RN ehrhornp 2012/05/09 02:53:25 (edited)
    diane RN
    There are no more gun accidents and murders than we have right here in Chicago and we are the only state that doesnt have a concealed carry law. You just never hear about it because jessie and al are always somewhere else beating the drum for media time:) I have 3 professional licenses and have to do CE's for all 3. I have a FOID card, had firearms training and in my case go to the shooting range quite a bit, cant speak for others tho.
  • ehrhornp diane RN 2012/05/09 03:26:54
    ehrhornp
    Well its the others that I would be worried about. I have not been too worried about guns ever since I learned that the number one cause of gun deaths is suicide.
  • Riobhca 2012/05/06 15:38:38
    yes
    Riobhca
    +2
    It would deter crime quite a bit if criminals knew that they are carrying a firearm. Of course they should have instruction as to the law and when they can and cannot use them before being able to do so.
  • ehrhornp Riobhca 2012/05/06 18:44:48
    ehrhornp
    Wouldn't the more determined criminal just get a couple of guns? I also wonder how criminals would know that a neighborhood watch program is in effect and its members are carrying guns?
  • ETpro 2012/05/06 15:22:29
    no
    ETpro
    +2
    The police training for Neighborhood Watch members specifically instructed them never to carry a gun or weapon, and never to pursue someone they find suspicious or see committing a crime. The training says call 911 and let trained professionals handle it. That's what we pay them for.
  • BackWoo... ETpro 2012/05/06 18:04:54 (edited)
    BackWoodsMike
    +2
    We (Law Enforcement) do not “specifically instruct” neighborhood watches not to carry. There are Community watches that affiliate themselves with the National Sheriff's Association” (which is not a Law Enforcement Agency) which suggests that weapons should not be carried, and at that, since the NSA has no authority and is only a non profit organization, can not give directives.

To say thats what the police are paid for is an absurd statement. Since Star Trek Transporter technology has not been perfected yet, even if we are only a couple of miles away from a call, it will take us minutes to arrive. Too many disturbance calls come in, but by the time we arrive on the scene, it becomes a crime (battery, robbery, assault, rape or murder) crime scene.

What the media doesn't report is the tens of thousands of crimes that were thwarted because a Community Watch person yelled “stop or I'll shoot” instead of “stop, I'm calling the police”. Normally the latter becomes just another one of the victims on the scene.
  • ehrhornp BackWoo... 2012/05/06 18:50:29
    ehrhornp
    Would be interesting if there were any statistics on this. I would think that if a person yells stop or what the hell are you doing, he will probably get the same result. The other person will leave.
  • BackWoo... ehrhornp 2012/05/06 20:36:47 (edited)
    BackWoodsMike
    +1
    We do not keep statistics of thwarted crimes, for the simple reason, if they are thwarted they are not a statistic.

There are statistics that can be looked up that show that gun carry actually lower the crime rate. The media very rarely reports the success of a foiled crime, but every once in a while they will report how “Joe (or Jane) citizen foiled a crime by being armed.

The criminal mind does not work like you would hope to believe it would. The damage, whether an assault, robbery, rape or killing can be done with absolutely no fear of others being around, especially if they know that the other person is unarmed.

Drugs are a present danger, and these are the people who are normally the unwanted guests. They are either high, and looking for a thrill, or they are dry and looking to score money for their fix.

In either case, they are dangerous and not easily chased away by someone just calling the Police on their Cell Phone.

We have just a little over 50 Community Watches in my County, and only 9 of them are affiliated with the NSA. Out of those 9, 4 allow their watches to carry. Most of the others do have members who carry.

If heaven forbid, your wife, daughter (if you have one), or granddaughter (if you have one) were attacked in a neighborhood with a Neighborhood watch. Keepin...

If heaven forbid, your wife, daughter (if you have one), or granddaughter (if you have one) were attacked in a neighborhood with a Neighborhood watch. Keeping in mind that in order for a person to be allowed to carry a gun, must be trained and certified by the State, would you be more comfortable with an unarmed Community Watch calling 911 while your wife, daughter or granddaughter was being......... well you get the picture, or would be thankful that the Community watch was armed and able to stop it then and there?
  • ehrhornp BackWoo... 2012/05/06 23:12:50
    ehrhornp
    Well the way to reduce danger from drugs is to legalize them or at least decriminalize them. Sure worked with Alcohol so why wouldn't it work with other drugs? Drug use has followed the pattern of alcohol where there were more drinkers at the end of prohibition than there were prior to prohibition. Notice how fast crime dropped off after booze was legal again?

I wonder if Zimmerman received such training. By ignoring the 9/11 operator it would seem not or such training might be ineffective. I think armed watches will eventually result in someone being shot dead. Never a good outcome regardless of who is shot.
  • BackWoo... ehrhornp 2012/05/06 23:53:46
    BackWoodsMike
    Zimmerman has not yet stood trial, and in all honesty it appears that the State's case is falling apart.

None of us (not even I with our inter Departmental communications) knows anything of substance in this case. The media had made a circus of it by manipulating and in some instances lying about what they claimed at the time to be credible information.

Observe how the media has been awful silent lately about the case.

Even if Zimmerman is found guilty, his case, as overblown as it was, is far from being the rule.

And just a bit of information from a Law Enforcement Officer (me), a 911 Dispatcher is not a Sworn Law Enforcement officer, and even if they did give an order, which they didn't if you review the call (it was a suggestion), Zimmerman was under no obligation to follow it.

Once again, there are just over 50 Community watches in my County, and most of those members carry. There are a minimum of 4 calls from them a Month informing us of an intruder that was chased off by just the display of their weapon (and with their help, we eventually pick the suspect up). Communicating with surrounding Sheriff's Offices, our statistics are in line, so just visualize 4 thwarted crimes a month in just about every County (where States have CCW permit laws) in the United States, and you will see that the Zimmerman case is just one of those cases that the media wanted to exploit.
  • ehrhornp BackWoo... 2012/05/07 00:03:28
    ehrhornp
    So how many people have you or your group of community watches shot?
  • BackWoo... ehrhornp 2012/05/07 00:19:20 (edited)
    BackWoodsMike
    If it makes any difference to you, none of the Community Watch Personnel in the almost four years of my service as a County Sheriff's Deputy have shot anyone. They have on the other hand been able to stop potentially dangerous circumstances where the intruders are armed. As a bonus, their Neighbors sleep well at night.

As a Vietnam Combat Veteran, and currently a Law Enforcement Officer, I have a different record.

Now I see that you have a strong opinion about guns, and I truly respect that. My postings are not attempting to sway a persons deep seeded beliefs. They are written to give a professional perspective.

Have a safe day..
  • ehrhornp BackWoo... 2012/05/07 00:21:41
    ehrhornp
    You too
  • ehrhornp ETpro 2012/05/06 18:47:33
    ehrhornp
    Makes sense. You carry a gun and you are exposing the neighborhood association to huge potential liability. Now the automatic response would be that the neighborhood watch members need to be protected but that is not a given. More likely they will just escalate the violence of the criminal.
  • BackWoodsMike 2012/05/06 12:40:25
    yes
    BackWoodsMike
    +2
    There are many Community Watch/Patrols in my County, and I have had the pleasure of speaking and instructing at most of them.

Several are affiliated with the National Sheriff's Association which has a list of recommendations (not mandatory rules) for the associated organizations to follow. One is the suggestion to not be armed. Most of our Community Watches are not affiliated with the NSA though.

Besides being a Law Enforcement Officer, I am an avid 2nd Amendment Rights supporter, and an advocate of the right of Americans to protect themselves and their neighbors.

I've read some of the comments here stating that Community Watch personnel are not “Cops”, and should just report suspicious activity, and allow the Police to do the pursuit. I can appreciate their confidence in our (Law Enforcement) ability, but sad to say, we can not always be on the scene minutes after a call, and it takes less than a minute for a suspect to pull a weapon, and either injure or end the life of a person, whether it be the Community Watch, or just a victim of a robbery or worse.

One comment that I read stated that Community Watch personnel do not have Police training or authority.. While that may be true, what they do have is a Carry Permit that entails training and certification on not only th...

One comment that I read stated that Community Watch personnel do not have Police training or authority.. While that may be true, what they do have is a Carry Permit that entails training and certification on not only the weapon itself, but in laws and regulations in the use of the weapon. They also receive every other Month (at least in my County) instructional seminars from Local and County law Enforcement.

To say that Community Watchers are just a bunch of yahoo cop wanabees is insulting and demeaning, and those who make such statements should be ashamed of themselves.

Community Watch members are men and women who are concerned about the safety of their community and neighbors, and are exposing themselves to anyone who comes into their Community with the intention of committing a crime.

The critics here of Community watch personnel being armed, better hope that if they are the ones attacked by some criminal who wonders in their neighborhood, the Community Watch person has more than a Cell Phone to stop the criminal from doing a job (whatever that job is) on you.
  • Sister ... BackWoo... 2012/05/06 14:57:25
  • BackWoo... Sister ... 2012/05/06 18:32:08
    BackWoodsMike
    My good Sister. Why is my post “Too Much Information”?

Your question is specific, and who better to answer it thoroughly so that there is no confusion on the subject, than a professional who not only has first hand knowledge of Community Watches, but is active in their training and function.
  • Nanjing03 BackWoo... 2012/05/06 22:49:27
    Nanjing03
    +1
    Agreed Mike. The safest and most law abiding segment of society are the 10 million-plus armed citizens in America with concealed weapons licenses. There are rare instances where a weapon or other use-of-force incident is used not according to policy, but we see that happen even in law enforcement, and even to a greater degree. Law enforcement officers (as you know, I am a prior LEO) struggle with their own safety and use-of-force misjudgments. While most of the officers that I trained are dedicated and committed to their profession and the “tools of the trade,” some look at weapons training and annual qualification as a sort of "necessary nuisance" that they have to deal with every year when they requalify. I don't think that is as great a problem in the concealed carry community -- which is what the armed segment of the community watch is a part of. There must be thousands -- or 10s of thousands of armed watchmen and women out there, and to date – with the exception of the Martin-Zimmerman case – I haven’t heard any bad news about them.
  • BackWoo... Nanjing03 2012/05/06 23:27:55 (edited)
    BackWoodsMike
    +1
    Exactly..

We have over 50 Community Watch organizations in my County alone, most have members that carry while on patrol. A few months back I even did some off duty time with two members of a Community Watch who were concerned because their Church was burglarized, and they wanted to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't happen again.

These folks are just as dedicated to keeping their Neighbors safe than any Sworn LEO, and in all honesty, if we got in a bind, I would feel comfortable with their ability to handle the situation in an above board fashion.

We are in constant communication with these Watches, and our working partnership is excellent. There isn't a Month that passes that we don't get at a minimum of 4 calls, informing us that one of the Watches chased off a would be intruder by just making his weapon visible.

One nice thing about being armed is most of the time just the presence of the weapon is the deterrent. This is a hard thing to understand by most folks who are anti-gun. You and I know, because we have been there and done that, that you don't need to even draw a weapon for it to be effective. But of course if circumstances warrant it, you best be trained (as all CCW permit holders are) and know when and how to use it.

Thanks again..

• EDWARD G 2012/05/06 12:26:33
    no
    EDWARD G
    +1
    I am a gun owner and the answer is still NO
  • Sister ... EDWARD G 2012/05/06 14:57:37
    agree
  • D D 2012/05/06 07:24:27
    yes
    D D
    +2
    If it is legal to carry, then yes. They are guarding against those up to no good.
  • TheTruth1313 2012/05/06 06:51:21
    yes
    TheTruth1313
    +2
    If they are properly licensed and trained in there use.
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/05/06 06:40:39 (edited)
    carry cell phone
    ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★
    +3
    Taser Gun

taser gun
  • Nanjing03 ★~Docto... 2012/05/06 23:28:05 (edited)
    Nanjing03
    Oh sure, Tasers are great ... when they work. But I knew of officers who have had to back-peddle and draw their weapons because they got a bad connection with one or both prods. One police chief used a Taser on a suspect who simply laughed, yanked out the prods and came at the chief. The chief snatched a PR-24 baton from another officer's belt and had to close with and strike the suspect repeatedly and restrain him with the PR-24 until other officers with cuffs could run to his assistance. In 1989, our department got rid of Tasers and decided to use two types of chemical munitions instead -- OC (pepper spray) for close individual use, and CS projectiles for outside crowd control or before entering buildings. Of course, gas has its own set of problems with wind direction, lingering effects and innocent bystanders.

In all fairness, and for what it’s worth, our Taser problems happened in the 80s. They may have improved since then.
  • Gregaj7 2012/05/06 06:20:50
    yes
    +2
    And be well-trained in their usage.
  • blissful 2012/05/06 06:05:02
    no
    blissful
    +1
    No!! I think that pepper spray or a tazzer would be a good-enough weapon of defense..
  • Iamfree 2012/05/06 05:55:58
    yes
    Iamfree
    +1
    Depends on the neighborhood.
  • say what? 2012/05/06 05:12:05
    yes
    say what?
    +2
    If they are responsible adults. I would like to see everyone carry a non lethal weapon such as bean bag guns or rubber bullets and responsible adults carry both lethal and non lethal.
  • jennie 2012/05/06 04:48:31
    no
    jennie
    +1
    A cell phone and a whistle or better, watch from inside their homes.
  • JohnT 2012/05/06 04:13:47
    no
    JohnT
    +1
    No way, we have enough gun happy Yahoos as it is. Let them report what they see to local LE and not get personally involved.

2014/07/29 21:07:32