Should This High School Senior be Suspended for Attending his Girlfriend's Senior Prom?

Not Einstein 2009/05/09 07:18:03
Yes.  He should also be sent straight to Hell.
Yes.  He agreed to the rules and should live up to them.
Before you know it, dancing at the prom leads to the horizontal boogie.
No.  The school should not be able to dictate what a student does on weekends.
Ohio Christian school tells student to skip prom

FINDLAY, Ohio – A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing, rock music, hand-holding and kissing will be suspended if he takes his girlfriend to her public high school prom, his principal said.

Despite the warning, 17-year-old Tyler Frost, who has never been to a dance before, said he plans to attend Findlay High School's prom Saturday.

Frost, a senior at Heritage Christian School in northwest Ohio, agreed to the school's rules when he signed a statement of cooperation at the beginning of the year, principal Tim England said.

The teen, who is scheduled to receive his diploma May 24, would be suspended from classes and receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments, England said. Frost also would not be permitted to attend graduation but would get a diploma once he completes final exams. If Frost is involved with alcohol or sex at the prom, he will be expelled, England said.

Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.

"He deserves to wear that cap and gown," Johnson said.

Frost said he thought he had handled the situation properly. Findlay requires students from other schools attending the prom to get a signature from their principal, which Frost did.

"I expected a short lecture about making the right decisions and not doing something stupid," Frost said. "I thought I would get his signature and that would be the end."

England acknowledged signing the form but warned Frost there would be consequences if he attended the dance. England then took the issue to a school committee made up of church members, who decided to threaten Frost with suspension.

"In life, we constantly make decisions whether we are going to please self or please God. (Frost) chose one path, and the school committee chose the other," England said.

The handbook for the 84-student Christian school says rock music "is part of the counterculture which seeks to implant seeds of rebellion in young people's hearts and minds."

England said Frost's family should not be surprised by the school's position.

"For the parents to claim any injustice regarding this issue is at best forgetful and at worst disingenuous," he said. "It is our hope that the student and his parents will abide by the policies they have already agreed to."

The principal at Findlay High School, whose graduates include Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, said he respects, but does not agree with, Heritage Christian School's view of prom.

"I don't see (dancing and rock music) as immoral acts," Craig Kupferberg said.

Information from: The Courier, http://www.thecourier.com

• 168290 2009/05/09 07:44:56
    168290

• unaTHINKer 2009/10/06 06:45:17
    No. The school should not be able to dictate what a student does on weekends.
    unaTHINKer
    +1
    Hurray for religon! Way to go there, trying to brainwash him to your beliefs! Yeah, why would we ever need a new generation of free thinkers? Personal time out of school is HIS time! So are you going to suspend EVERY student who masterbates? Hey principal, start with suspending yourself!!!!!!
  • Riki 2009/06/09 16:11:12 (edited)
    Riki
    +1
    I thought that, according to Christianity, God gave us free will. Those Christians are not letting him exercise that right. Plus, the Bible does not condemn rock music and so he cannot hide under the umbrella of Christianity to justify his bigotted beliefs!

I think the whole school is awful and is barely worth the Christian title it flaunts. Plus, it is a person's actions and not their siuation that makes them a "good person".

For example, he could go to the prom and not "kiss women" or "agree with rock music", even if he is around women, people kissing women and rock music.
  • JDLogan 2009/06/07 20:38:41
    JDLogan
    +1
    If the principal had not signed the form, I would have sided with them; but having signed it, he gave his permission and should let the issue drop.
  • Lana 2009/05/25 17:15:39
    Lana
    +2
    I am 62 and would have done the same if not worse. Who the hell do they think they are ? They need help
  • JOEL BECK 2009/05/14 06:23:04
    JOEL BECK
    +1
    ADOLESCENCE IS A TRAINING GROUND FOR ADULTHOOD; IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT CERTAIN
    AMERICANS HAVE TURNED IT INTO A NEEDLES
    PROLONGATION OF CHILDHOOD.
    APPARENTLY, THE FACULTY AT HERITAGE DO NOT
    TRUST THEIR YOUNG CHARGES TO ACT IN A MATURE
    MANNER ONCE THEIR BACKS ARE TURNED. IT IS NOT
    MATURE, AT SEVENTEEN, TO AGREE TO A SET OF RULES GEARED TO A THIRTEEN OR FOURTEEN -YEAR
    OLD. AS TO CHILDREN OBEYING THEIR ELDERS:
    WHEN I WAS A LAD OF TWENTY-TWO, I HAD JUST GOTTEN A JOB IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES. THE
    PROBLEM WAS, A BUS STRIKE WAS LOOMING, AND I
    DID NOT HAVE A DRIVER'S LICENSE.
    MY FATHER DICTATED WHERE I SHOULD LIVE DOWNTOWN; TO HIS CREDIT, HE SHELLED OUT THE
    FIRST MONTH'S RENT. IT WAS A NICE PLACE, BUT I
    MOVE OUT WITHIN A WEEK RATHER THAN STAY IN AN
    APARTMENT THAT REMINDED ME THAT I HAD GIVEN IN
    MY FATHER PROMISED THAT HE WOULD RESPECT MY
    FUTURE DECISIONS. FOUR YEARS LATER, I LEARNED
    WHAT HIS PROMISES WERE WORTH.

I HAD GRADUATED COLLEGE, AND BOUGHT A CAR

OUT OF MY OWN SAVINGS. MY FATHER WAS FURIOUS
    HE SAID HIS PROMISES TO RESPECT MY DECISIONS
    DIDN'T APPLY IN THIS INSTANCE.

BACK WE WENT TO THE USED CAR DEALER. MY
    FATHER TRIED TO UNDERMINE MY WILL BY OFFERING
    TO PAY ONE-HALF THE COST OF A MUCH NICER CAR.

I WAS TWENTY-SIX, AND I TOLD HIM IT'S HIGH TIME
    I MADE MY OWN DECISIONS. HE KNEW WHEN HE
    WAS BEATEN
  • RockySquirrell 2009/05/13 14:34:17
    RockySquirrell
    +1
    That whole thing is just not right! What a person does away from school is their business.. not the school's..
  • wolfshadow 2009/05/11 03:23:37 (edited)
    wolfshadow
    +1
    After I read he had agreed to the rules I thought they can suspend him. Then I read the principal SIGNED the form, which he knew what he was signing thus giving consent. The whole thing is dumb as hell...why would you send your kid, as a kid want to go to, a school that acts like this. Good thing he is graduating (after he makes up his incompletes) ... This has to be a recruiting boom story for the Baptist School.

Oh and I am so sure he is going to screw her on the buffet table while drinking a quart of rum.... HOW THE HELL WOULD THEY KNOW IF HE DRINKS OR HAS SEX???

And what the hell does THAT school do for Prom?
  • cds wolfshadow 2009/05/12 23:05:35
    cds
    +2
    Schools like that dont have "proms". They have more of a formal style "banquet". Some of these schools wont even allow music or dancing. Almost llike an awards ceremony.
  • wolfshadow cds 2009/05/13 05:27:46
    wolfshadow
    Thats just fuqued up.
  • unaTHINKer wolfshadow 2009/10/06 06:54:12
    unaTHINKer
    I hate to think......assembly (like every other day) and praying while the choir sings? Be still my beating heart! Let kids be kids. And also, children under 17, unless emancipated, do not have ANY legal right to sign any forms!
  • girls2frog05 2009/05/10 16:10:29
    girls2frog05
    +1
    if the parents say he can go then the church/school cant control him.. cap and gowns are worn for academic work not because they followed rules that seems stupid
  • Lonerzet 2009/05/10 15:14:06
    Lonerzet
    +1
    of course it does. Anyways if it was so against school regulation the principle wouldn't have signed it. There for that is setting the kid up for suspension. As well those rules only take place on school grounds. It is the school that is against those things. not the religion.
  • E.G. 2009/05/10 10:13:10
    E.G.
    +1
    Know why they don't have wild orgies on Heritage Christian School grounds? Because it could lead to dancing! *grin*
  • Artemis ~PHAET 2009/05/10 08:35:22 (edited)
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +1
    My private Baptist college wasn't even that ridiculous about its rules. They only applied while students were on campus. Anything else was our own business unless it was illegal activities.
  • JaknHarely 2009/05/10 06:54:07
    Yes. He agreed to the rules and should live up to them.
    JaknHarely
    +1
    In most private schools his parents would sign a contract binding him to certain behaviors on or off campus. Regardless, I'm sure this has been a BIG learning experience for him, Now he knows how vindictive and overly judging the church is.
  • MonkeyOnMyBackIsTheLastestT... 2009/05/10 06:24:56
    MonkeyOnMyBackIsTheLastestTrend
    +1
    i wouldn't have signed that and i wouldn't have went to that school, what next they're going to tell him the holy time to take a crap after 7 and no late than 8 lol anytime before or after that and charmin ultra is leading you to rebel straight to hell, take the whole school to court and see how they like those apples
  • deadhead509 2009/05/10 00:57:01
  • Not Ein... deadhea... 2009/05/10 01:01:40
    Not Einstein
    +1
    Ha, but Baptists have better self control!
  • chardunk 2009/05/10 00:00:48
    chardunk
    +2
    What idiots.
  • êļļĴáŸê 2009/05/09 23:41:46
    êļļĴáŸê
    +4
    It's funny the principle automatically assumes he will get drunk and have sex!
    And as far as rock and roll being the "Counter culture"?
    LMFAO!
    principle automatically assumes drunk sex rock roll counter culture lmfao
  • Evil 2009/05/09 22:26:20
    Evil
    I HATE THE SCHOOOOL!
    NO ROCK MUSIC!!! WHAT TEH F'N F
    NO DANCING(I cant dance so yeah)
    and no other stuff thats just lame
  • celticdragonfly 2009/05/09 21:55:19
    celticdragonfly
    +1
    When the parents choose to enroll him at a school like this they agreed to follow their rules. They paid for the right to be told what to do. They don't like it? Send him to public school...or even a different private school with more relaxed rules.
  • Riki celticd... 2009/06/09 16:14:43
    Riki
    +1
    What about the boy himself?
    He's 17...

In biblical times, most would have a wife and child by 17.
  • carlton999 2009/05/09 21:52:21
    carlton999
    +2
    he should tell this school were to go. this is another fine example of religion playing the role of Nazi and telling people what to do. Jesus drank wine, so why don't they condemn him for sinning?

taking his girlfriend to the prom is not going to send him to hell. I think that he should do what he wants to do and be happy.
  • m 2009/05/09 20:44:21 (edited)
    m
    +1
    I would never put my kid in such a school! For crying out loud this young man has exhibited responsible behavior already! I am sure he can be trusted to take his girlfriend to a supervised prom and get her home in a timely manner.
  • Xee 2009/05/09 20:27:36
    Xee
  • Körïnthïän 2009/05/09 20:23:28
    Körïnthïän
    +3
    In the future, fundamentalist Christians will control their children with brain implants.
  • herb 2009/05/09 19:32:50
    herb
    +5
    Wasn't this the premise behind "Footloose"?
    dancing prom leads horizontal boogie premise footloose
  • êļļĴáŸê herb 2009/05/09 23:43:46
    êļļĴáŸê
    +3
    And I thought that premise was too outdated THEN!
  • bj 2009/05/09 19:16:12
    bj
    +1
    It is times like this that we sometimes see things in our religion that we realize that we do not like. This young man obviously disagrees with their view on dancing. It will probably cause him to look closer to see what else he does not agree with. Religions loose members often because of just these types of disagreements. He is still young. I hope he will make the right choice for himself.
  • Angel 2009/05/09 18:50:32 (edited)
    Angel
    +3
    I see both sides, I can see the young man wanting to take his g/f to the prom.....and I can see the school wanting the young man to maintain the school reputation ... I think he should be allowed to graduate , dancing isn't a sin ...even David danced before the Lord.....but schools do have rules for a reason , and if the student or parents don't like them maybe the Christian school wasn't the right school for them to choose.....
  • lisa 2009/05/09 16:14:48
    lisa
    +1
    people take things like wayy out of porportion. let the boy be. god. its his personal life.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2009/05/09 16:09:56
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +2
    or accept the consequences. It is a choice. I grew up a Baptist, and when they taught dance in my Jr. Hi, my parents wrote a note and I was set to folding towels in the locker room for that period.
  • freakou... Dave Sa... 2009/05/09 20:10:20
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +1
    the school respected your parents which is what they should do. They didn't make you dance. Every one needs to be able to make the right decision for themselves in dancing. If I know dancing will lead to other things, then I need to not do it. If I can be like David and dance in the spirit and avoid the devil's temptations, then I can dance or not.
  • riverbeauty™ 2009/05/09 15:55:32
    riverbeauty™
    +1
    I agree with the boy's father the rules should not apply outside the classroom. The SCHOOL doesn't have the right to police a person's actions off school grounds.

Not that integrity doesn't apply... the boy should make a decision based on what he believes is right... if he doesn't believe in the school's policy, then he should ask for a transfer to another school. To NOT do so is hypocritical.
  • Dave Sa... riverbe... 2009/05/09 16:13:34
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    The boy may only disagree with the Baptist school on one or two things, but a lot with the Public School system (as do I). It's not necessarily hypocritical - sometimes we have to choose between the lesser of two evils.
  • <--That guy 2009/05/09 15:46:39
    <--That guy
    +2
    He's not going to be on their school grounds, so it's none of their damn business what he does at another school's prom. When he's there, he's that school's responsibility.
  • THEZEBRA 2009/05/09 14:41:46
    THEZEBRA
    +1
    that is loosing major freedom...i would do it anyway...that is the stupidist thing i have ever heard
  • jones cynique 2009/05/09 14:36:05 (edited)
    Yes. He should also be sent straight to Hell.
    jones cynique
    +1
    That way, he'll already be protected from the sinful nature of life when he graduates high school.
  • Selfish 2009/05/09 14:03:45
    Selfish
    +1
    They are quite unreasonable though

2014/12/19 02:18:54