Should there be schools where boys and girls are seperated?

caitlin 2008/03/15 18:42:32
should there be schools where there is either seperated sexes or seperated sexes with the choice of mixed classes?

• Cuddles 2008/03/16 12:15:14 (edited)
    other (please leave comment)
    Cuddles
    +3
    There is solid research indicating that students in Grades 7 through 12
    do far better in a setting where classes are of one gender. Grades K-6 do well in a coeducational setting. However, with the onset of maturation, youngsters are easily distracted by classmates of the opposite gender
    sharing the classroom. As a secondary school teacher, I have seen
    for myself the advantages gained by separating boys and girls. As one who
    attended a private school, I can state, unequivocally, that mixed classes
    are fine through 6th grade. Beyond that, students in a single gender setting have an easier time attending to their tasks without the distraction of the
    "opposite sex". The argument that children should be in mixed classes as
    they learn better to get along with their peers of either sex, is a specious
    argument with little to no value. PARENTS: Do your own research on this
    subject. You are the ones who must make the final decision for your
    children/children. Thank you for reading this comment.
    TO: kelci_a_thryce
    Thanks for asking. Here is my comment. 03-16-2008 10:44 AM EDT

• lil joe 2008/06/17 13:43:46
    other (please leave comment)
    lil joe
    this is to funny
  • -* i WiSH i NEVER MET YU .* 2008/05/04 22:55:41
    schools should be mixed
    -* i WiSH i NEVER MET YU .*
    i might turn gay bein in school wit all females . no but i love the males so gotta keep 'em in school wit me .

-brittannika*
  • Maria 2008/05/01 19:57:35
    schools should have genders seperated
    Maria
    need to leave girls alone, she couldn't focus and not want to become boy crazy. need to separated. let boys breath better and able to focus on sports better and the grades. plus no talking about who's cute and who's ugly.
  • Blood_Red_Roses 2008/04/24 11:56:17
    schools should be mixed
    Blood_Red_Roses
    +1
    otherwise there would always be a question of sexism within the school and no one wants that
  • Jazzin 2008/04/15 01:57:20
    schools should have genders seperated
    Jazzin
    +1
    Seriously I thinck guys could use a little time with out the temtation of ruining some girls day, besides the guys at my school SUCK!!! I've learned tolook other places then my school...
  • David 2008/03/21 04:37:18
    schools should have genders seperated
    David
    +1
    Schools that have the genders seperated usually have students with better GPA's and are better "moulded" for the rest of their life.
  • MadHatter 2008/03/18 15:42:30
  • Marco 2008/03/18 15:10:35
    schools should be mixed
    Marco
    +1
    I respond to this assuming we are speaking about federally-funded, public schools. I do, however, believe that, since at certain ages, boys and girls learn differently and at different rates, segregated classes may be important to ensure the best learning outcome for each gender.
  • angie ~ MCCAIN / PALIN 08 2008/03/17 17:00:36
  • Jamie (goofygirl) 2008/03/16 14:59:28
    schools should have a choice of seperated or mixed
    Jamie (goofygirl)
    +1
    I think it alright either way, but I shudder to think that we would start mandating either, if we did this I am afraid it would set us back. We need a better solution to our education system, however, I do not think this is the one.
  • schools should have a choice of seperated or mixed
    Jerry (Iron Priest)☮ R ☮ P ☮ 201
    +1
    There are schools of each type. There are pros and cons in each setting.
  • Cuddles 2008/03/16 12:15:14 (edited)
    other (please leave comment)
    Cuddles
    +3
    TO: kelci_a_thryce
  • David Cuddles 2008/03/21 04:39:53
    David
    +1
    The Catholic school I attended had K-6 with both boys and Girls "mixed"..7-12 seperate..seems to be a good way to go about it.
  • nikky 2008/03/16 05:59:06
    schools should be mixed
    nikky
    +1
    people need to get used 2 having there kids or them selves in the same classes or da kids will just get more corous & get into more trubble grow up!!!!!!!!!!!! your kids will get to be parents or wors if they arent used or know what is what they will soon try it the kids that go to mixed schools know & wont try that stuff as much the kiddys r going to get in2 dat yong or old you cant prevent it ...
  • blueautumn 2008/03/16 05:51:01
    schools should be mixed
    blueautumn
    +1
    people(genders) should be able to interact with each other!!
  • Suicide is Painless~<3 Rev~<3 2008/03/16 05:50:10
    schools should be mixed
    Suicide is Painless~<3 Rev~<3
    +1
    You're gonna have to deal with the opposite sex eventually. Suck it up and get over it.
  • StreetSpirit 2008/03/16 05:20:10
    StreetSpirit
    +4
    public schools ought to stay integrated - by there should be the option available to have separated schools if some are willing to go to them.
  • gamman 2008/03/16 04:55:21
    schools should have genders seperated
    gamman
    +3
    at least for parts of the day. studies show for example that girls do better in math when grouped together without males around.
  • Dustin ~NBA 2008/03/16 04:52:15 (edited)
    schools should be mixed
    Dustin ~NBA
    +1
    The more kids are told "NO"... the more they yearn to hear "YES"...

edit: Whatever that meant...
    +2
    There is really no reason not to seperate - some classes/subjects move faster or slower and seem to follow gender lines. Math - I always felt like a dolt asking questions that the guys got so fast. English - I was a whiz and the guys groaned over some of the stuff and I am pretty sure they didn't ask questions for fear of being dolts. Maybe not all classes but some is probably a good idea
  • kelci_a_thryce 2008/03/15 21:46:57
    kelci_a_thryce
    +2
    Great question! I think that there should be at least the option for girls and boys to take separate English and math classes because of how differently the sexes tend to learn these subjects at different times - studies show that girls tend to develop language skills at an earlier age, whereas boys develop math skills at an earlier age. I don't think they should be fully segregated, though, because there are social aspects to consider that are also important. It would also be difficult because it could place a stereotype upon kids that isn't always accurate.
  • nia. 2008/03/15 19:33:40
    other (please leave comment)
    nia.
    +2
    NO WAY. I like having boys at my school. They are annoying and perverted but... I learned to live with it.
  • Artillery12 2008/03/15 18:53:01 (edited)
    schools should be mixed
    Artillery12
    +1
    mixing sexes is like mixing races. there is no need for it.
    if boys and girls couldnt interact we would live in a very diferent world.
  • The Ree... Artille... 2008/03/15 21:06:00
    The Reeses Cup
    +1
    No need to mix races?
    Please explain why race or gender matters.
  • Dustin ... The Ree... 2008/03/16 04:54:08
    Dustin ~NBA
    +2
    What he/she meant was that there is no need for segregation...
  • The Ree... Dustin ... 2008/03/16 17:30:22
    The Reeses Cup
    +1
    What s/he said confuses me, that's all, i wanted to know if there was a typo somewhere or if it was sarcasm. *shrugs*
  • Dustin ... The Ree... 2008/03/16 19:06:34 (edited)
    Dustin ~NBA
    +1
    <.sarcasm>Perfectly worded<./sarcasm>
  • getting new profile 2008/03/15 18:50:45
    other (please leave comment)
    getting new profile
    +1
    i dont think so. if we start thinking like this and actually want it, were going to end up being a sexist country. dont let it happen, we allready have enough racism to deal with.... boys and girls need to be together!
  • chacha getting... 2008/03/16 04:56:26
    chacha
    +1
    We do have sexism in this country. Why do you think ERA became a movement in the 70's? Along with a womans right to control her own body, aka Abortion rights.
  • getting... chacha 2008/03/16 05:23:43
    getting new profile
    +1
    yes, but we dont need it any more with people getting stupid ideas w/ the whole school segregation crap. do YOU think we should do IT?....thats what i thought.
  • chacha getting... 2008/03/16 05:31:39
    chacha
    +1
    What did you think? Are you aswering for me, with that's what I thought?

There are already schools like this, if you want your kid to attend one, then send em. I don't know that it makes sense to separate by sex, except gym/sports. For the most part, there's not that much difference in performance between boys and girls, there is more of a maturity difference when younger, but it never seemed to get in the way of my education.

2014/07/23 18:16:27