Should the words "under God" be included or removed from the US Pledge of Allegiance?

ANGEL 2012/07/01 04:06:23
Included -
Removed -
Other
The Pledge of Allegiance was first written in 1892 for a magazine
contest, and it read: "I Pledge Allegiance to my Flag and the Republic
for which it stands; one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice
for all." The Pledge became part of the US Flag Code in 1942, and in
1954 President Eisenhower and Congress added the phrase "under God” into
the Pledge.

Proponents of including "under God” in the Pledge argue that the US
is a Christian nation, at least 80% of Americans support the phrase, the
language reflects America’s civic culture and is not a religious
statement, and federal law, state constitutions, currency, and the
presidential oath already contain references to God.

Opponents contend that church and state should be kept strictly
separate as the Founding Fathers intended. They argue that the
Constitution protects minority rights against majority will, and that
the words "under God" in the Pledge are a religious phrase and thus
violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

I'd be interested in the opinions of those from all religious backgrounds - Christians, Scientology, Jewish, Pagans, etc. I'm certain Atheists would like to see the phrase removed.

Do you believe the words "under God" should be included or removed from the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?

• Yoru 2012/07/01 04:13:25
    Removed -
    Yoru
    +8
    "I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute" - President JFK September 12, 1960

• Keegan The Fabulous 2012/07/29 00:46:29
    Other
    Keegan The Fabulous
    I personally would leave the words in the official pledge, but let people decide whether to say it or not when they recite the Pledge. The Pledge is covered under the First Amendment, so people can recite the Pledge as they wish without repercussions, whether by adding a line, or by omitting the phrase "under God."

The "America is a Christian nation in terms of politics" argument can also be thrown out, since the same part of the Constitution that gives people the freedom to recite the Pledge as they wish also bars Congress from picking an official religion or decrying a religion. Demographically speaking, America is majorly Christian because so many people are Christians, but legislatively speaking, it's nonreligious.

TL,DR: Leave the line in question in the Pledge, but give people the right to decide whether to say it or not. The Constitution is okay with either choice.
    Removed -
    +1
    As the US Constitution plainly states there is to be a separation of churh and state. The result of adding the words "under God" violates the Constitution.
    Included -
    Always.
  • ScoutLdr 2012/07/01 21:53:22
    Included -
    ScoutLdr
    "When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation." From this nation's founding document The Declaration of Independence,July 4, 1776..
  • peaches 2012/07/01 21:10:18
    Removed -
    peaches
    +1
    It SHOULD be. But I understand the reasoning behind why it's not. Too much of a hastle.
    Not everyone has a God, but some people who do have a God are apparently too narrow-minded to understand this.
  • dick 2012/07/01 17:22:51
    Included -
    dick
    As basicly a Christian country I would think that most would be proud of it but we have allowed ourselfes to be over run with athiests and muslims in the past few years and many feel the need to be politically correct! I don't.
  • evangelism_vision 2012/07/01 16:11:00
    Included -
    evangelism_vision
    +1
    If the Liberals remove God from it, I will continue to pledge One nation under God and will have it painted on my Car as well.

Do you all see what is happening? Liberals are attacking Religious Liberty like Obama and the Democrats and Atheist move to remove Crosses from Hills.

Communist when they took over in 1917 attacked all religion and removed God, In China they banned God and now the Marxist Democrat Party is up to it again along with the ACLU who by the way was founded by a Communist.

Just another step in their move toward a Godless Society.

They fear God that is why they want God removed because their Conscience, they can't hide from and they believe that by removing the name God, and all references to god that they don't have to be accountable to a God. THINK AGAIN ATHEIST AND DEMOCRATS

I use to be an Atheist so I know their thinking! And you liberals who want to remove God, even if you do it will be fore a short time because you will see him some day anyway either as Lord or as Judge that is you're choice.

MARK MY WORDS, If they remove In God we Trust, I will have a stamp waiting for Every Dollar Bill that I see and it will be stamped in Black INK IN GOD WE TRUST, You think you can remove GOD< Think again because as long as there are people who believe in him we...

MARK MY WORDS, If they remove In God we Trust, I will have a stamp waiting for Every Dollar Bill that I see and it will be stamped in Black INK IN GOD WE TRUST, You think you can remove GOD< Think again because as long as there are people who believe in him we will mention his name.

This is the beginning of a total NEW Anti GOD America and Obama is trying to destroy the Constitution it is the only thing says the European Common Market that prevents them from forming a One World Government.

Don't worry.... We who believe in God and serve him will be gone shortly Don't know the day or hour but it's coming
  • Wyzard 2012/07/01 15:42:13
    Included -
    Wyzard
    +1
    only a obama lovin fool would say remove
  • alanh 2012/07/01 14:55:48
    Included -
    alanh
    +1
    Definitely included!!
  • ed 2012/07/01 12:59:05
    Included -
    ed
    +1
    AMERICA and the world will always be UNDER GOD. GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD
  • D D 2012/07/01 12:07:05
    Included -
    D D
    Included.
  • zero resistance 2012/07/01 09:13:48
    Removed -
    zero resistance
    +3
    I'm a big fan of God, but I actually like the pledge better without. "One nation under God, indivisible" assumes that everybody agrees on God. They don't, I think it undermines the pledge.
  • shadow76 2012/07/01 08:36:15
    Included -
    shadow76
    +2
    Leave it alone! If they don't like the words don't say them, stop ruining things for the rest of us!
  • Metaldane shadow76 2012/07/01 15:19:38
    Metaldane
    If you want to say it fine but it wasn't added in the first versions for a reason it's meant to represent everyone now the pledge doesn't so why dont you guys stop pushing religion where it doesn't belong.
  • shadow76 Metaldane 2012/07/02 15:16:32
    shadow76
    You stop pushing yours onto all the rest of us.
  • Metaldane shadow76 2012/07/02 15:20:15
    Metaldane
    I'm not I merely want the pledge restored to it's original version which insulted and offended no one and represented everyone which with such a diverse culture is a major achievement.
  • shadow76 Metaldane 2012/07/02 15:37:02
    shadow76
    People didn't used to get offended and insulted that easy. I don't think it was written to represent people. It was written to Pledge allegence!
  • Metaldane shadow76 2012/07/02 16:05:29
    Metaldane
    It was created as a pledge of alliegence that represented the loyalty of all citizens not just those who believe in one god. The reason people didn't use to get insulted by it was because there was nothing insulting about it. Not putting under god in the official wording forces nothing on any group and adding under god on an individual level was allowed if the speaker so wished now in order to fully state the pledge over twenty percent of our citizens would have to go against their own personal beliefs. For you that would be like me putting in under Satan or Allah or Odin I'm sure you're against all those being added even if you didn't have to say them.
  • shadow76 Metaldane 2012/07/03 13:37:06 (edited)
    shadow76
    It used to be when immigrants came here they didn't whine about everything that was being done before they came. It has been said that way for fifty years Why wait all this time to complain? If it is so bad. Can't people just substitue their god? leave it alone.
  • Metaldane shadow76 2012/07/03 13:44:22 (edited)
    Metaldane
    My family has been here since the 1765 so not any more an immigrant then you and in all likelihood mine has been here longer and going against what you deem wrong is the American way and people have been going against this since the day the idiots put it in and thats not the point it's not just that the official writing is push "one god" into it it's involving religion that's wrong period.
  • Jacob 2012/07/01 08:28:57
    Removed -
    Jacob
    +3
    Go back to the original.
  • Mariah Lyn 2012/07/01 08:26:50 (edited)
    Removed -
    Mariah Lyn
    +4
    I got detention from a teacher once for not saying the pledge, because I'm atheist and refuse to say those to words. According to the Pledge, I'm not a true American, because I don't believe we're 'under God'
  • peaches Mariah Lyn 2012/07/01 21:13:05
    peaches
    Last time I checked, in public schools, it's legal to not say the pledge as long as you stand up. So that detention was completely unjustified...
  • Nimitz 2012/07/01 07:34:45
    Removed -
    Nimitz
    +4
    I'm a Christian, but this is one of the few, clearly unconstitutional attempts on the part of Congress to 'establish' religion. The term 'God' represents a/The Deity, and Congress is expressly forbidden by the Constitution from "making laws with respect to the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."
  • Wyzard Nimitz 2012/07/01 15:45:30
    Wyzard
    +1
    show me in the constitution where it says seperation of church and state....its not there...
  • Nimitz Wyzard 2012/07/01 19:51:05
    Nimitz
    CONGRESS shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Essentially, the framers were of the sentiment that the legislative branch of government should take NO position on religion at all. (That's not to say the several states couldn't do whatever they wanted provided they didn't violate the 'bill of rights.')
  • shadow76 Nimitz 2012/07/02 15:40:35
    shadow76
    +1
    what religion is it establishing? There is not a state religion run by the state. Saying under God does not establish a religion!
  • Nimitz shadow76 2012/07/02 18:01:42 (edited)
    Nimitz
    It establishes a belief in God by making that belief a part of the pledge of allegiance.

Don't misunderstand, from my perspective that's not a bad thing, just unconstitutional. The framers were crystal clear on this point. Congress was to take NO legislative position on religion at all.
  • Zeruke 2012/07/01 07:03:59 (edited)
    Removed -
    Zeruke
    +3
    I dont need some phrase to remind me if im under a god or not

but of course there things that should be taken care of before this
  • Black Night 2012/07/01 07:02:58
    Other
    Black Night
    +2
    Because our constitution includes separation of church ad state it shouldn't be there. It violate our constitution.
  • Stardust 2012/07/01 05:46:59
  • art1ej 2012/07/01 05:41:15
    Removed -
    art1ej
    +3
    Its stupid in the first place...its like in court id never put my hand on the bible....
  • Cherry 2012/07/01 04:59:58
    Included -
    Cherry
    +1
    I'm agnostic, but it doesn't bother me.
  • Metaldane 2012/07/01 04:56:58
    Removed -
    Metaldane
    +2
    The only argument I've heard in support of it is that it still covers the majority, fact is that doesn't matter this is not a democracy where the majority rules, it's a constitutional republic which means that the government represents everyone not just the majority which means everyone needs to be able to pledge allegiance to our republic fully and truthfully and right now they can't because to state those words goes against their beliefs which is one of the main freedoms our government is supposed to protect.
  • Robbb 2012/07/01 04:55:44
    Removed -
    Robbb
    +2
    Well it is a bit silly isn’t it? When the pledge was introduced the US was supposed to be a country free of religion. Under god is an endorsement of a ridiculous concept that many Americans want nothing to do with.
  • JohnT 2012/07/01 04:54:49
    Other
    JohnT
    +2
    It is a copout but I don't care. We have a diverse population some will want it and others don't. To avoid a whole bunch of rhetoric leave it as is.
  • Metaldane JohnT 2012/07/01 04:58:30
    Metaldane
    If we leave it as is the constant arguing about it will never end.
  • JohnT Metaldane 2012/07/01 05:11:58
    JohnT
    +1
    It wasn't in there when I was a little kid but we got used to it. I know we have separation of church and state but not everything religious related has to be and issue. By the way I am not religious I am agnostic
  • Metaldane JohnT 2012/07/01 05:20:21
    Metaldane
    +2
    And I am religious now I can see the cultural value of it in money and so forth but the pledge at it's very core is meant to cover all Americans and be how they show their loyalty that is somewhere even I don't think religion belongs because its forcing them to either admit to something they don't beleive in or not say the full pledge.
  • JohnT Metaldane 2012/07/01 19:34:23
    JohnT
    You have valid points. It seems nowadays there are so many angry people against religion that they take issue with it on everything. I may not be religious but I am accepting of it and as a ex-military person you know you never hear a soldier yelling Satan save me, so all I am saying is I think compromise is good but like everyone else I go with what the majority in a free democracy dictates.

2014/12/22 20:39:47