Should the Government end Welfare in the U.S.?

ANGEL 2012/04/11 14:52:02
Other thoughts
http://debates.juggle.com/should-the-government-end-welfare-i...

Here are some opinions in favor of ending Welfare:

1.
"Far too many people use it as a crutch instead supporting themselves. I
agree that the U.S. government should end welfare because far too many
people abuse the system. There are a lot of people that could work and
are healthy but choose not to because it's easier for them to just
collect free money.
"

2. "There are way too many people who abuse the system. They prefer to be let go from work so that they can get paid to sit on their behind. It is said
that the hard working class has to carry those people. I understand that
there are ones who deserve and need it, but the US is not equipped to
verify who does or does not deserve it.
"

Here are some opinions who believe that the Welfare system should be continued:

1.
"Welfare is an important program to combat hunger and poverty. Especially in
today's economy, welfare is a very important program to combat hunger
and poverty. While it may be exploited by some, that is no reason to
discount everyone else that needs the system to survive. For some
people, there are just no other viable options available to get by.
"

2.
"I do not believe that welfare should be eliminated, but should have more
stringent guidelines. I think that it should be reserved for only those
who actually need it. More guidelines and requirements should be in
place to ensure that those who are receiving it should be. Drug testing
and education should be mandatory.
"

What are your thoughts? Should the Government end Welfare in the U.S.?

NOTE: This topic brings people together to the table commenting about a topic that doesn't necessarily depend upon your political or religious association. There
are so many polls on SH that divide people and I just want to change the
tide.
So while there will certainly be opposing views, you may find that you
have a great deal in common with someone who you may otherwise have
found your self in disagreement with -- whether it be a democrat,
republican, libertarian,
involved in Christianity, Atheism, Muslims, Scientology, Buddhism etc.

• **StarzAbove** 2012/04/11 14:57:41
    **StarzAbove**
    +6
    I know there are many abuses in the welfare system, but we can't let people go hungry for any reason. Kids have no say in what their parents do, and no child should ever go hungry.

• freedom.lynn.5 2013/01/10 23:44:29
    freedom.lynn.5
    Putting kids on the streets is wrong and stupid. I hate the fact that alot of people think that everyone abusing the system not everyone is using the system. I'm on Ssi foodstamps and Medicaid. I had 18 feet of my small intestines taken out. There r alot of mothers that r raising disable kids that why they can't work its not because they don't want to they do but from doctor appointments and hospital I don't think they can find a job that will let them do all that.
  • KarenInKenoshaWisconsin 2012/04/17 01:43:25
    Other thoughts
    KarenInKenoshaWisconsin
    +1
    Reform
  • antiregressivism 2012/04/14 04:42:30
    antiregressivism
    +1
    But slowly and carefully.
  • S and S 2012/04/14 04:05:50
  • rightside 2012/04/13 21:21:21
    rightside
    There are other, better ways to helping people without the working class getting screwed.
    I've seen first hand how people trade their food stamps for money. I've seen women living free with a man (not married to) and collecting rent money from the government. I've seen generational welfare and baby popping welfare and frankly, I'm sick of it.
    People should learn that when they are sucking off the government tit that they lose some of their rights and freedoms and they should be drug tested.
    I don't believe they should be able to buy steak on my dime. Many are working hard to put food on their family's table and others that aren't working shouldn't have better.
    I think women should be put on long term birth control and not allowed to have children until they can support them on their own.
    So much more, but yes, stop this current rip off welfare.
  • freedom... rightside 2013/01/10 23:49:15
    freedom.lynn.5
    Did u know some of those people ur talking about have jobs and get foodstamps. I know alot of people that have jobs that get foodstamps. I'm disable I'm on Ssi foodstamps and Medicaid I had 18 feet of my small intestines taken out. People don't get that much in TANF. My friend was going to get on it but she said $188 a month for 2 kids that's it.
  • rightside freedom... 2013/01/11 00:21:09
    rightside
    Please read again what I said.
  • freedom... rightside 2013/01/11 00:38:13
    freedom.lynn.5
    Now the people that saying they don't live with a man needs to stop lieing. I live with my boyfriend and Ssi and the foodstamp office knows I do. Because I don't lie. Because its going to come out sooner or later so why lie. I'm in college I take 2 classes a semester so I wont get stressed out with my physical and mental disabilities. I have a very severe learning disability so college is very hard for me so I work harder then anyone. Next week I start I made it to college algebra so its going to be very hard for me and I might have to take the class over again but Ill get it in my own time bit there is a chance I might pass. Then I have a reading class which is hard for me too. I don't want to be sitting at home and getting a SSI check I want to try to work for my money. I thank taxpayers for helping me out since I got disable putting a roof over my head and food on my table.
  • rightside freedom... 2013/01/11 00:55:52
    rightside
    Sounds like you are trying, I have no problem with helping people like you. But, there are a bunch and I mean a BUNCH of people that are lying sacks of crap that steal every chance they get from the government, who in turn, gets their money from hard working people.
    I know of people that go to over 20 doctors just to get them to say they are disabled.
    Welfare is not working, it needs to be totally revamped.
  • freedom... rightside 2013/01/11 01:04:53
    freedom.lynn.5
    My sister has 2 kids and a new born she had him on Friday she works and goes to the same college as I do. She starts next week too. But her classes r online so she can be there with her baby. She does work at a restaurant called Cracker Barrel she gets $100 in foodstamps and she gets Medicaid. I love school to me it is so much fun to learn and read books I hate math I am not good at math
  • rightside freedom... 2013/01/11 01:18:50
    rightside
    People take their food stamps and trade them for other items. Again, I don't have a problem with temporarily helping honest people.
    I just want to stop the madness of generational welfare.
  • freedom... rightside 2013/01/11 01:24:24
    freedom.lynn.5
    I know someone that did sale some foodstamps to get their baby diapers because they didn't have money. But its true some people I use to know sold their foodstamps for crack before. But its hard to catch those people with a piss test a hair test could catch them faster. That's why I don't like the drug test unless it's a hair test. Its just going to cost taxpayers more money. Unless they use a hair test. I know alot about drugs before I got disable I did drugs I passed every drug test that was a piss test.
  • rightside freedom... 2013/01/11 01:38:33
    rightside
    +1
    That's why I stand behind my statement of revamping welfare.
    Good talking to you.
    Other thoughts
    +1
    FDR created it - and the demonuts have expanded as a vote manufacturing machine. Maybe they should not be allowed to vote, if they're second, third generation welfare life styles, See how much support they get from the debtocrats then
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/04/13 06:28:24
    Other thoughts
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +2
    End it? No. It should be there as a safety net for those that need it. But not for the generational welfare crowds as illustrated on http://www.thugreport.com

If people receive welfare, then they should prove fitfulness to receive it, mainly through monthly drug testing. First time violation cuts you off .............. forever.

If I have to undergo drug testing to keep my job, you should have to undergo drug testing to keep your welfare payment.

That'd be fair in my book.
  • freedom... CUDDLY ... 2013/01/10 23:51:32
    freedom.lynn.5
    They don't get kicked off all the way they drug test them St the beginning of the month then again at the end they test positive they go to rehab for 6 months then they get back on.
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/04/13 02:56:34
    Other thoughts
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +4
    It needs to be reformed, again. It also needs to be a last resort, not advertised, endorsed and praised. I really don't think able bodied men with no children should be eligible for welfare. There is no shame anymore, everyone is just trying to get a free piece of the pie.
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/04/13 02:46:17
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +3
    They need to clear the ones off that are living on it and check to make sure new ones are eligible when they want it. Come up with a training and parenting program for those terminally on welfare cases. Do something that makes sense.
    There are families that 3-4 generations of their families have lived off welfare and refuse to better themselves, but they show up to get their stuff in nice new cars, wearing jewelry with high dollar clothes and hairstyles that working people don't have.
  • XZQZQ 2012/04/12 01:59:41
    XZQZQ
    +3
    Yes. Paying people not to work, and paying women to pump out baby after baby is insane. I would eliminate all means-tested social programs. Leave SS / Medicare alone for now. Orphanages for the abandoned kids, increased deductions for charitable giving...
  • Classical Liberal 2012/04/12 00:56:30
    Other thoughts
    Classical Liberal
    +2
    while people are truly dependent on it, no.

Improve the economic conditions such that there is no need for welfare, then end it.
  • fuzzy K... Classic... 2012/04/12 13:11:32
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +3
    There will never be a time of no need for welfare.
    Welfare was supposed to be for those who were unable to support themselves. That has now changed to add those unwilling.
    I'm not saying that welfare is like a paid vacation, it's not.
    There is no excuse for generation after generation of welfare recipients in the same family. Not with all the trillions we've spent on education and anti-poverty programs. Despite that we have major pockets of welfare in the inner cities and the Appalachians. The one thing they have in common besides poverty is drugs.
  • Classic... fuzzy K... 2012/04/12 20:40:13
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    set it back to the original goal.

In fact, I would like to see it reformed to a negative income tax system.
  • fuzzy K... Classic... 2012/04/12 21:18:07
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +3
    Setting welfare back to it's original goal could never be accomplished. Too many people rely on the system, as it is to make good money. I'm not talking about the recipients. I am referring to the unions like the SEIU and AFSCME. and their members.
    Besides, setting welfare back would be political suicide.
    If you want to see what happens when the government realizes it can no longer afford things the way they are and decides to take back even a little of what they were giving look at the riots in England and Greece. This, despite that fact that the governments have no choice.
    Our politicians keep borrowing more and more money to pay day to day expenses uncaring that the time may come when our creditors cut us off. That is why our credit rating has slipped.
  • Gracie ... fuzzy K... 2012/04/13 02:58:34
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    That's completely correct!
  • Gracie ... Classic... 2012/04/13 02:57:53
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    When you are economically advantaged by doing nothing, why would someone work?
  • Classic... Gracie ... 2012/04/13 03:11:38
    Classical Liberal
    Exactly what we need to change. I like the negative income tax...
  • Gracie ... Classic... 2012/04/13 03:21:23
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    We already have that, it's called Earned Income Credit.
  • Classic... Gracie ... 2012/04/13 03:22:11
    Classical Liberal
    not the same thing.
  • Gracie ... Classic... 2012/04/13 03:24:14
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    Well, explain what you mean.
  • Classic... Gracie ... 2012/04/13 03:42:53 (edited)
    Classical Liberal
    +1
    1: The amount you receive goes up with the income you make, and suddenly ends at a certain income level. This makes it potentially detrimental to make more money after a certain point. This will lead some people to make less just to continue qualifying for the credit, much like how many are afraid to leave welfare because they might not live as well.

2: It is off-limits to the working elderly and those under the age of 25. This essentially makes it off-limits to the groups that tend to earn the least.

3: It is also available to those who are not living in poverty.

4: It is a smaller amount than I would expect of a replacement for welfare.
  • Guru_T_Firefly 2012/04/11 22:41:10
    Guru_T_Firefly
    At least, not unless someone creates a decent jobs program to replace it.
  • fuzzy K... Guru_T_... 2012/04/12 13:14:37
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +3
    We have spent trillions in anti-poverty programs. People on welfare can go to college for free. If you have the grades, even Harvard is free.
    Do you truly believe that a government that has so mismanaged anti-poverty programs could effectively run a jobs program? Is that even within the jurisdiction of the government?
  • Guru_T_... fuzzy K... 2012/04/12 13:36:04
    Guru_T_Firefly
    What does that have to do with my comment?
  • fuzzy K... Guru_T_... 2012/04/12 13:39:52
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    Read the second paragraph.
  • Guru_T_... fuzzy K... 2012/04/12 17:17:21
    Guru_T_Firefly
    Okay, I'll ask again... What does that have to do with my comment?
  • fuzzy K... Guru_T_... 2012/04/12 17:25:22
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +1
    You stated "At least, not unless someone creates a decent jobs program to replace it."

I asked "Do you truly believe that a government that has so mismanaged anti-poverty programs could effectively run a jobs program? Is that even within the jurisdiction of the government?"

I assumed that by "someone" you meant the government. Was I wrong?
  • Guru_T_... fuzzy K... 2012/04/12 19:49:16
    Guru_T_Firefly
    I'd have to answer "either or" on that one. Does it really matter how jobs get created as long as they DO get created? Or are you just on an anti-government bender today?
  • fuzzy K... Guru_T_... 2012/04/12 21:21:39
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    +1
    There are only two ways to create jobs: businesses grow and expand or the gov creates something akin to Roosevelt's "alphabet soup"
    Frankly I prefer the first way since it is a more natural approach.
  • Guru_T_... fuzzy K... 2012/04/13 04:08:06
    Guru_T_Firefly
    Except that the first way hasn't worked even after repeated tries and if we leave it up to the corporations of America, it never will.
  • fuzzy K... Guru_T_... 2012/04/13 13:16:57 (edited)
    fuzzy Ken "In G*d We Trust"
    The first way works fine. As with anything else there are ups and downs. An intelligent approach is to look at the long term,.
    http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/c...
    "The size of the Nation’s workforce increased roughly six fold during the 20th century. The workforce registered 24 million in 1900 with those aged 10 and above reporting a gainful occupation. In 1999 it was 139 million (aged 16 and older).But it is not just the sheer numbers that are striking. The composition, compensation, workplace, and very nature of work also changed during the century."

The second way didn't work well at all. In fact, some economists theorize that the New Deal actually delayed recovery from the Great Depression. http://newsroom.ucla.edu/port...

2014/04/21 12:31:49