Should the Catholic Church abolish celibacy for the preists and nuns? Should the Catholic Church make nuns the equals in every way to preists?

bob 2012/02/22 17:37:24
Related Topics: Church, Catholic
Catholic Church should abolish celibacy for the preists and nuns
Catholic Church should NOT abolish celibacy for the preists and nuns
In this day and age, the Catholic Church should make nuns the equals in every way to preists
The Catholic Church should not make nuns the equals in every way to preists
Jesus and Mary was married and had childern, so Catholic Church get with the program
Jesus and Mary was married and had childern, so maybe the descendants should run the Catholic church
it would certainly cut down on preverted behaviors

• JCD aka "biz" 2012/02/22 18:08:48
    JCD aka "biz"
    +4
    Some Catholic priests are married, this is accepted by the Church in some Eastern "rites".
    Also, I have read that former (married) Lutheran or Anglican ministers have become Catholic priests, and are of course still married.

• Bocephus 2012/02/29 17:21:29
  • James 2012/02/29 04:43:27
    James
    There were actual times that Catholic priests were allowed to have children.
  • michael 2012/02/27 18:20:02
    michael
    Clearly this person who wrote this stuff doesn't beleave in the US Constitutional freedom of religion for Catholics or care much for the traditions of the Roman Catholic Church. I warn everyone of this sad fact that can be seen on Sodahead .......anti-catholicism is on the rise here in America again espcially when Catholics runs for president--at this rate I won't be surprised if very soon anti-semitism also grows when the first Jew becomes president. This is a sad social commentary on the state of religios freedom in America..
  • tonytherenow 2012/02/25 17:55:00
    tonytherenow
    It can't be wrong to do whats natural. I believe that women should be able to become priest and men nuns too but Catholic church would have to do away with old habits lol
  • Fran-Halen 2012/02/23 19:41:13
    Fran-Halen
    +1
    The Catholic Church has forgotten that human beings are not supreme....especially the poop, I mean popo, I mean pope.
  • darwolf 2012/02/23 17:06:33
    darwolf
    The question should when will america or the human race treat women as equals.
  • kmay 2012/02/23 15:35:43 (edited)
    kmay
    Stop the Catholic Bashing.

You know nothing about why they have the practices they do NOR do you care!!
  • the fuze 2012/02/23 12:24:38
    the fuze
    +1
    See, here's the deal... We have the freedom to practice religion... any religion. You also have the freedom to leave that religion and go to something else. Do I necessarily agree with the Catholic Church? On some issues, on such as who can or cannot lead, no. Do they need to bend to my will??? Of course not! If enough people left the church over this issue, then maybe they would take a step back and re-assess. But that's their business and none of ours. The second we start poking our fingers around where they don't belong (unless something egregious (like molestation of children, etc.) happens), well that's a Pandora's Box that is best left closed.
  • MeBNme the fuze 2012/02/23 15:58:17
    MeBNme
    +1
    well spoken!
  • KoAm 2012/02/23 10:13:40
    KoAm
    +2
    >>>Should the Catholic Church abolish celibacy for the preists and nuns?<<<

No. And you're not Catholic anyway, Bob, so this isn't any of your business.

>>>Should the Catholic Church make nuns the equals in every way to preists?<<<

They already are, Bob. True, women can't become priests in the Catholic Church, but neither can most men.

Don't forget that most forms of Protestant Christianity, not to mention Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, do not have female priests or clergy.

Anyway, again, this is none of your business. You're not Catholic, so keep out of this. They're house rules, so have respect for them.
  • bob KoAm 2012/02/23 15:37:34
    bob
    +1
    so touchie, I was just asking
  • MeBNme bob 2012/02/23 15:57:09
    MeBNme
    good on you for your post bob! :)
  • kmay KoAm 2012/02/23 15:37:41
    kmay
    +1
    bob bashes the Catholics every chance he gets.

He is part of the so called "tolerant group of people"..... what a joke!
  • MeBNme KoAm 2012/02/23 15:56:47
    MeBNme
    up on your soap box again i see jen,spreading your acid intolerance upon all and sundry! wake up,who are you to tell people being a non catholic negates their opinion?? YOU should have some respect,easy to see your faith in an antiquated,self serving, intolerant religion does not serve you well! it is attitudes like yours that kept innocent children hidden behind the doors of the "catholic" church to be raped and sodomised.
    who cares if there is male or female priests or clergy,the catholic church and all its tyranny should be exposed and then lets start talking about what needs abolishing!! do remember---religion is man-made, not of God!
  • caroline 2012/02/23 08:23:56
    caroline
    I don't think many of them actually stick to it anyway .
  • ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮ 2012/02/23 05:19:11
    ☮ Ron ☮ Paul ☮ 2012! ☮
    Celibacy is not the problem, it's faith. The Catholic Church needs to get back with the traditional Latin rite and do away with the Novus Ordo rite. The more "modern" the Church gets, the more loss of faith there will be.
  • 8mariedawn6 2012/02/23 04:58:17
    8mariedawn6
    No personally I do not believe that is what the Lord would want.The Bible is clear about such things a Priest is a man and the women is not looked at like that in the Bible.Even in Jesus time woman was not picked for these kind of things it was always the men.
  • ehrhornp 2012/02/23 04:29:22
    ehrhornp
    +1
    And the Church should also make females equal to males.
  • Psykhê 2012/02/23 03:37:17
    Psykhê
  • findthelight2000 2012/02/23 03:28:08
    findthelight2000
    +1
    Unless the person is asexual, celibacy is unnatural and should never be enforced.
  • The Nixus 2012/02/23 03:09:37
    The Nixus
    Sexual repression is what cased the Catholic shame where priests turned gay and even into sexual pedophiles that also abused children and women... The Vatican hid facts for centuries and still do, they stull to this day hide Esoteric truth, i.e even Jesus was a sinner, that's why Jesus loved a sinner as he sined, moses directed and taught Jesus in the desert... The first pope was haded the keys to knowledge about the truth by Peter and this same pope had Peter crucified (like the Jew's betrayed Jesus) to cover the doctorine in a quest for self power and control of the masses... GOvernments and Religion always worked together to dumb down people as we were not holy enough to know the truth....

Sprituality and NOT relision was the truth as noone whould have been enslaved since Moses lead the salves out of Egypt..... I am a Chistian follower that believes in ALL fiaths and relisions, GOd is pesonal and within ALL our individual hearts... Why make people travel and preach a 22 book bilbe when the actual books in the bible were 28, governmenst, kinds and queens and the Vatican have hid so much for so long and this year we all find out the actual truth.... The true bible says nothing about not making love so why preach it.... The devinity wants us to enjoy our peace on earth and we...

Sprituality and NOT relision was the truth as noone whould have been enslaved since Moses lead the salves out of Egypt..... I am a Chistian follower that believes in ALL fiaths and relisions, GOd is pesonal and within ALL our individual hearts... Why make people travel and preach a 22 book bilbe when the actual books in the bible were 28, governmenst, kinds and queens and the Vatican have hid so much for so long and this year we all find out the actual truth.... The true bible says nothing about not making love so why preach it.... The devinity wants us to enjoy our peace on earth and we are free to do as we want ut of our own free will as long as it is not tyranic in any way...

Why is Jesus still pinned to the Cross and we worship Satan's handywork in Churches.... take him OFF the cross as we have also Crucified ourselves for over 2000 years, he was taken OFF the Cross by Joseph and ressurected so why do we have to sit and look at past evil handywork by previous evil contolling powers that be... The Jew's crcified themselves that is why the Jew's have a challenge to prove there worth... however to date it's a fail in my eyes.... look what they do with the worlds monetry markets, rich richer and poor poorer....

Love peace and light
  • Redskin 2012/02/23 02:53:23
    Redskin
    What sorta Religion wouldn't want their followers to have families of their own?
    Seems pretty silly to me actually.
  • Casy 2012/02/23 00:13:57
    Casy
    Yes, I have always thought so.
  • XENON23 2012/02/22 23:10:02
    XENON23
    End it. Let them marry.
  • Jenna ☮♡ッ 2012/02/22 22:23:04
    Jenna ☮♡ッ
    +1
    I'm not Catholic but I have family members who are and imo, I think that this is a pretty outdated mindset. Again, I don't know much about Catholicism but from what I have heard, it's kind of ridiculous...Christian Pastors can get married! Why not Catholic priests/nuns?
  • turtledove123 2012/02/22 22:18:41
    turtledove123
    +1
    I am not Catholic, so I have no idea. If they choose to marry Christ and stay celibate then I guess that is the choice they made. I think it is quite not normal, and a bit much to require, but as I say, I am not Catholic, so I dont get it.
  • TMan 2012/02/22 22:12:19 (edited)
  • Mamaknows 2012/02/22 21:56:50
    Mamaknows
    LOL being celibite does not make someone a pedi!
  • boots 2012/02/22 21:50:57
    boots
    Hell yes let these people start having sex with people they're own age for a change .
  • blissful 2012/02/22 21:47:47
    blissful
    +1
    Our father God gave us all a choice to choose who/what we want to do that is best for our souls. I Think that celibacy should be abolished! God never ordained for any man to be without a woman unless, he chooses too. And the woman was create to be equal with the man.The Catholic Churches should consider reading the bible again..
  • whipnet 2012/02/22 21:38:02
    whipnet
    This is really nun-ya business...
  • bob whipnet 2012/02/22 21:44:24
    bob
    sure it is.
  • whipnet bob 2012/02/22 21:46:52 (edited)
  • wtxwoman 2012/02/22 21:08:12
    wtxwoman
    +1
    I think so, but I'm not a catholic so what I think doesn't matter.
  • ghostrider 2012/02/22 20:53:52
    ghostrider
    The Catholic Church is free to pursue whatever course of action it deems appropriate for itself, as long as it doesn't attempt to apply its dogma onto those who don't follow its teachings.
  • prayer warrior 2012/02/22 20:29:47
    prayer warrior
    Well if you belong to the Eastern rite of the Catholic Church some of their Preist are married. If you are married you can become a Priest. Unfortunately in America the Bishops here won't let them marry. Again however some of those Priest who convert to Catholicism are married therefore a few are allowed to be married.
    This gets rather complicated and I for one don't really know if being married affects their effectiveness in the church or not.
  • cate 2012/02/22 20:25:17
    cate
    +1
    A Priest is still a human being.
  • cellophane 2012/02/22 20:15:01
    cellophane
    +1
    While I have to chuckle at the Catholic church's belief system when it comes to contraception and celibacy and gender equality, it's certainly not for me to decide their beliefs for them. They believe what they believe - if you don't like it you don't have to believe it or go to their church (yet?).
  • l 2012/02/22 20:05:36
    l
    +2
    I think priests should be able to marry if they want to. I also feel if a woman wants to become a priest she should be able to. Where is the harm?
  • PULLLLLLL! 2012/02/22 19:47:57
    PULLLLLLL!
    +1
    What? and disturb their centuries old Sexist Patriarcial society,,???? Women should be seen and not heard,,,,LMAO

2014/04/19 01:55:45