Should the bible be taken away from christians?

Jiorgia 2012/02/28 03:30:49
yes, these are just some examples of what christians want the world to be like.
no, this is just a sign of how old the bible is, no one believes this anymore.
a new bible should be written to remove these passages.
Other... (please explain)

"The Bible is widely seen in Christianity as 'The Good Book', a source of holy truth, a guide to God and a foundation for our knowledge of what is right and wrong. Across the Western world, children are taught the Christian ethic, supposedly embodied in the phrase: "Love thy neighbour". Apparently rather selective in their loyalty to this principle, many Christians use the Bible to condemn those who do not respect its commands as immoral.

But how moral is the Bible itself? Did you know, for instance, that it condemns castrated men (who for most of Christian history would have been castrated, while children, by the Church itself) to an eternity in fiery hell. Most people's reaction, when faced with this fact, is to say 'Oh - the Bible doesn't really say that...'

But it does. You can see for yourself, in the list here, that the Bible emphatically, literally, says that all women are inferior to men, that homosexuals and even effeminate men will be sent to hell, that God has killed thousands of innocent people at a whim, and - a personal favourite - that all non-Jews will go to hell. Where, you have to ask, does that leave Christians who take a fundamentalist perspective and believe in the Bible as literal truth? Sorry Pat Robertson, you're going to hell! I don't believe this of course. But the point is that, as a self-proclaimed fundamentalist, he must. Of course, most Christians, even if they say they believe in Biblical inerrancy, choose to ignore the hard passages, mainly because they are good and decent people who find rape and murder repugnant. This sort of pick-and-mix religion involves a deep inconsistency, however, as it holds the Bible to an external moral standard which Christianity does not necessarily permit.

You can see all these utterly shocking quotes below. Look them up for yourself... (But bear in mind that most of the quotes given here come from the old King James Bible, or else from a source as close as possible to the original manuscripts, like the New Jerusalem Bible. Some lily-livered modern translations ditch some of the more outrageous language, subsituting "servants" for "slaves" and so on, so your Bible may not match what I quote.)

Far from being the all-loving religion that many - who clearly haven't read their Bibles - claim, the morality that Christianity presents is in fact primitive and abhorrent.

From the Bible...

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind ... nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

"[The Jews] both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets,and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men." 1 Thessalonians 2:15

"Stone disobedient children" (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

1 Timothy 2:15 says only women who have children will be spared hell

Men are worth more than women - Leviticus 27:1-7 actually provides dollar comparisons!

"Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted [sic] , brokenhanded [sic], Or crookbackt [sic], or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God." (Leviticus 21:17-21)

Men aren't allowed to trim their beards or shave their heads (Leviticus 21:5)

Wearing clothes intended for the opposite sex is forbidden (presumably making today's unisex clothing 'abonimable'):

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5)

Clothing made of more than one type of fabric (e.g. nylon stockings) fare no better:

"Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee" (Leviticus 19:19).

The Bible says that the sole reason God created women in the first place was to provide company and service to men (1 Corinthians 11:9)

Matthew 13:10-14 suggests that Jesus doesn't want everyone to understand what he's saying, so he speaks in parables to his disciples and most of the rest will go to hell.

"When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the Lord thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive, and seeth among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife; then thou shalt bring her home to thine house; and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails; and she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and remain in thine house . . . And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her" (Deuteronomy 21:10-14)

"If a man also lieth with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13)

Prostitution is punished by burning the woman alive according to Leviticus 21:9

Leviticus 25:44 tells Jews to enslave surrounding tribes

"And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money" (Exodus 21:20-21).

Exodus 21:7-10 says men can sell their daughters into slavery

Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and everyone else who is not Christian will all go to hell "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God" (John 3:18)

"Censuses are immoral - and God killed 70,000 innocent counted Jews to punish David for counting them... "And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel, And David said to Joab and to the rulers of the people, Go, number Israel from Beersheba even to Dan; and bring the number of them to me, that I may know it. . . . And God was displeased with this thing; therefore he smote Israel. . . . So the Lord sent pestilence upon Israel: and there fell of Israel seventy thousand men" (1 Chronicles 21:1-14).

God killed every living thing in Soddom and Gomorrah for engaging homosexual acts in Genesis 19:24-25

Sexual immorality merits an eternity in flames, according to Jude 1:7"

so tell me should the bible be banned?

Read More: http://www.bigissueground.com/atheistground/ash-bi...

• Bozette 2012/02/28 04:19:10
    Other... (please explain)
    Bozette
    +5
    If you don't like the Bible, then don't read it. You have no right to ban it from anyone else. If you are going to quote it and use those quotes against Christians then you need to read and study it in it's entirety. Christians are not under OT law but are saved by the gift of grace paid for with the blood of Christ.

• Sarah 2012/08/14 20:54:47
    Other... (please explain)
    Sarah
    Read Hebrews 9:15-28.
  • T4yy1b 2012/04/02 12:05:15
    Other... (please explain)
    T4yy1b
    considering the bibles been changed so much i dont think it has much meaning anymore
  • PatWhosoever 2012/03/17 01:57:14
    Other... (please explain)
    PatWhosoever
    Absolutely not, The Bible is indeed the word of God, but the Bible also states that ALL have fallen short. ALL is everyone of us. Suppose someone who changed their gender found Christ after their surgery or someone found Christ if they lived a homosexual life and changed. While this maybe in the Bible, there are other things in it as well.
  • Bart 2012/03/13 21:36:25
    Bart
    If you take away the bible you take away my soul what god says is the most important thing to me
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/03/04 01:58:04
    Other... (please explain)
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +2
    As a liberal, gay, atheist I have to say "No" the Bible should not be taken away from anyone. That is censorship. Yes it is full of contradictions and while I may find parts of it objectionable that is my opinion. Freedom of speech means all speech, even speech I do not agree with.
  • Red_Horse 2012/03/01 13:52:38 (edited)
  • Jiorgia Red_Horse 2012/03/01 13:54:55
    Jiorgia
    +1
    you dont know my opinion on this matter, you only know that i wrote the question.
  • Red_Horse Jiorgia 2012/03/01 13:56:22
  • Mindlesspartyhack 2012/02/29 04:47:40
    Other... (please explain)
    Mindlesspartyhack
    Any other books you'd like to ban?
  • Bocephus 2012/02/28 22:20:10
  • cheaperthantherapy 2012/02/28 20:11:27
    Other... (please explain)
    cheaperthantherapy
    +2
    Not forcing your beliefs on other people works both ways. I wouldn’t say that no one should be allowed to read the Bible any more than anyone should tell me that I am forced to read the Bible.
    To each his own, you know?
  • Zody Ho... cheaper... 2012/02/29 16:44:55
    Zody Honeybee
    Righ on!
  • MorbidCynic 2012/02/28 09:47:12
    Other... (please explain)
    MorbidCynic
    You know hitler took bibles away from as many people as he could and made them read his book mein kampf.
  • goatman112003 2012/02/28 09:11:21
    Other... (please explain)
    goatman112003
    The simple fact was thousand of years ago when this was written for the most part, they had a society much different from today but similar in many ways. Now stoning children is a prime example. According to Jewish law the parents had to condemn the child before the rocks had to be thrown by others. How many parents do you think would do it. Homosexuality was frown upon big time for the simple reason the clan, tribe or nation had to grow in numbers for the simple fact they needed males for fighting at times. Women were considered blessed by producing children. Enuchs were considered the same as homosexuals as you only consume but don't grow the tribe. You also have to look at the societies around them for the reason for the condemnation. In Roman times, gladiator fights to the death were the norm to keep the citizenry amused with prostitutes serving the men or women down below by the entrance ways of the Colosseum. You had whore houses on every block and women slaves forced to service men for their masters. And you wonder why St. Paul made the comments that he did. A Patrician screwed his wife, his mistress and probably a number of slave girls in his house and you wonder about the adultery command. The basic wisdom is eternal but many of the stories reflect the time and age which they were written. To condemn it simply means you don't know the history which is behind it.
  • dominic garcia 2012/02/28 05:25:02 (edited)
    Other... (please explain)
    dominic garcia
    +1
    No, because then you will have to look into the barrel of my shotgun. It would probably just be a threat, no shooting. ;0) I do not believe someone could separate me from the word of God, besides I have memorized some chapters.
  • ..tisha... 2012/02/28 04:43:25
    Other... (please explain)
    ..tisha...
    +1
    The bible is a subjective literature, anyone who reads it will think and interpret it differently even if sharing the same religious views. You bring about its age, and that yes some passages take on the societal beliefs at that time, Religion is based on tradition, so the sheer age and when it was written is a large aspect of the religion itself, could you rewrite one? Yes and it has been done, The Luther Bible and King James are a prime example, but instilling new beliefs in a religious system is just forming another. The bible has more than just the verses you dislike, and only focusing on the negative without taking it's positive into account isn't much of an argument.
  • jflip 2012/02/28 04:40:20
    Other... (please explain)
    jflip
    +1
    The Bible for me is a constant reality check so I can catch myself before I get in over my head. Also the Bible is a Christians greatest weapon, if studied enough.
  • Rick 2012/02/28 04:38:40
    Other... (please explain)
    Rick
    +4
    Of course not. Only a bigot would even suggest such a thing.
  • Bozette 2012/02/28 04:19:10
    Other... (please explain)
    Bozette
    +5
  • lovealways9494 2012/02/28 04:10:15
    Other... (please explain)
    lovealways9494
    +2
    Umm yeah.. No the bible should NOT be taken away!! For all the old testimate verses Jesus came so that we didn't have to follow the law anymore.. He came to make a new law of love..and yes the bible teaches no one but Christians go to heaven.. And yes it teaches being gay is wrong.. That doesn't mean you get to take our constitutional right to freedom of religion away!!!!! And if the bible was rewritten then it wouldn't be gods word... So no it shouldn't be taken away anymore than any othe religious book that is used by another religion
  • Jiorgia lovealw... 2012/02/28 04:15:50
    Jiorgia
    +2
    "And if the bible was rewritten then it wouldn't be gods word"
    oh god wrote the bible, did he?
    what about all of the different translations of the bible, is their a particular one that is gods word while the others are not?
    the bible was written by humans for humans, as a book of rules/laws/regulations or whatever you want to call them.
    and im not saying ban christianity or ban the bible, actually its a question asking people for their opinions on the subject.
  • lovealw... Jiorgia 2012/02/28 04:25:05 (edited)
    lovealways9494
    Yeah there is gonna be variations on wording because we don't speak the original language but no matter what English translation you read all of the same verse me the same thing... Not taking out parts of the bible.. And I'm just stating my opion on the matter.
  • Andy 2012/02/28 03:49:47
    Other... (please explain)
    Andy
    +1
    For every verse you site that is EVIL... I can quote triple the verses that are Loving, Caring and Nurturing. You can do this will all manuscripts...but it seems the Bible is the one most mock. You have to read the Bible in complete context...and understand the genre of the writing... some is History, Poetry, Lament, Proverb....
  • Jiorgia Andy 2012/02/28 03:56:58
    Jiorgia
    yes the bible is just an old book and some passages show its age, but what of the people who quote the bible about gays being an atrocity, if christianity is all about being loving then why can't christians accept peoples choices.
  • dominic... Jiorgia 2012/02/28 05:36:02
    dominic garcia
    We love gays, I have family members who are gay, but just because we do not agree with their way of life does not mean we don't love them. According to God's word though, he abhors the sex act between two of the same sex. To us christians, it is just like any other sin, most of us don't really care if people want to continue sinning, the sin is between the person and God.
  • Jiorgia dominic... 2012/02/28 05:37:32
    Jiorgia
    +1
    well its nice to know a christian that likes gays.
  • Andy Jiorgia 2012/02/28 21:29:58
    Andy
    The issues with gays is this... it is the only un-Biblical issue that people 'won't' change, or don't try to change. There are alcoholics that become dry or die...there are people with anger and hate, that get counselling or they go to jail... there are those that steal that reform or again are put in jail. I understand that being gay is something that people are born with...but so are the other issues. Those that are gay, claim 'this is who I am-accept me'. So... the end result is ... if others can change from their sinful ways...why can't the gay/homosexual change??

I am a Christian, I don't hate gays... I understand their plight... but this is the issue that they will face with many Christians.
  • Mat Andy 2012/02/28 03:58:37
    Mat
    +1
    its the people who Look for the evil that give the bible a bad name They look they find then they act on there own opinion to try and say it is justified
  • Andy Mat 2012/02/28 21:30:48
    Andy
    I would agree... they skip the Good and Loving... to make their Hate statement
  • Mat 2012/02/28 03:48:16
    Other... (please explain)
    Mat
    +1
    its simple you cant blame the bible for how the masses have interpreted its teachings
  • Jiorgia Mat 2012/02/28 03:54:55
    Jiorgia
    because on the most part the masses ignore the atrocities, but what is the world was actually like this mat?
  • Mat Jiorgia 2012/02/28 03:57:30
    Mat
    +1
    The world is most certainly like this Jiorgia So many people Turn a blind eye not just to how people interpret the bible but in multiple ways, How can we change any of this Though?
    Other... (please explain)
    +3
    Sheesh, let's control what everyone reads and burn the books we think are unacceptable.

sarcasm
  • Jiorgia Jackie ... 2012/02/28 03:54:06
    Jiorgia
    yes thats true i dont believe that bibles should actually be banned, but i do believe that people should know what is actually in it especially if they hold what is in it as gospel.
  • Jackie ... Jiorgia 2012/02/28 03:55:53
    +1
    do you believe in God? If yes, then you understand the allegory. If not,, why the hell do you care?
  • Jiorgia Jackie ... 2012/02/28 04:01:14
    Jiorgia
    no, and i care because it impacts my life, their anti-gay and anti-abortion stances all quote the bible, they wan't 'the good book' to be perceived as a loving caring book and then they say that all gays are an atrocity and should be killed (let their blood be upon them)
  • Jackie ... Jiorgia 2012/02/28 04:06:37
    I do not know anyone who says that but fine. Literal interpretation is done by some to be sure, but they are the minority. I think you are concerned for no reason. Just ignore the fringe and move on
  • Burning Bright Embers 2012/02/28 03:42:39
    Other... (please explain)
    Burning Bright Embers
    +1
    Everyone has an example of what they want the world to be like. How about we just spread love, respect, and tolerance
  • Jiorgia Burning... 2012/02/28 03:49:36
    Jiorgia
    +1
    i agree with that, but do we really want people saying that the bible spreads that message when it obviously doesn't?
  • Burning... Jiorgia 2012/02/28 03:57:08
    Burning Bright Embers
    We cannot control what people say. Or how they believe. The problem with the bible, as with any other book of faith, is human interpretation, not the true message it gives. That is why there are so very many denominations of Christianity, and of Judaism as well.

2014/10/21 04:09:39