Should teachers allow students to eat in the classroom?

Imperfect*Love 2011/11/09 19:55:19

Considering that doctors say it is best to have 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals and some people dont even eat breakfast,do you think teachers should allow students to eat in the classroom?

• Willie 2011/11/14 01:05:51
    Willie
    +3
    It's a tough call. I'm a teacher, and you want your students paying attention to their lessons, not sitting there having a meal. On the other hand, I know that nearly every student in my school is eligible for free or reduced breakfast and lunch (I work in a very poor community), and for a lot of them, those are the only meals they get. When a kid's bus doesn't get to the school in time for them to have breakfast in the cafeteria, I go against school policy and let them bring it into my classroom. I can't let a kid go through the morning hungry. They've always been great about cleaning up after themselves, so I haven't had a bug problem.

I also find, from time to time, that bribing or rewarding kids (again, against school policy) with snacks (I usually get a big box of the packets of goldfish crackers from Cosco) is a useful tool for motivating a student.

• Willie 2011/11/14 01:05:51
    Willie
    +3

• Imperfe... Willie 2011/11/14 01:16:02
  • boots 2011/11/14 01:01:33
    boots
    Your there to feed your mind not stomach .
  • The Pot... boots 2011/11/20 22:21:42
    The Potato Princess
    +1
    Yeah, but you can't feed your mind on an empty stomach.
  • Angel 2011/11/13 16:58:16
    Angel
    +1
    Sometimes we dont get to eat at homee!
  • DesTay896 2011/11/11 01:42:28 (edited)
    DesTay896
    +1
    hell yea. i have to leave for the bus stop about 7:30 am and dont have time for breakfast, and my lunch period is at 1:10pm, so whatever lunch i pack (like a PB&J;), is bad by time i get to lunch. my first period teacher lets us eat sometimes, but that period ends at 10am. it sucks, because your trying to focus on school, but your stomache hurts really bad because your so hungry.
  • XXrawwwrXX 2011/11/11 01:35:03
    XXrawwwrXX
    +2
    as long as it doesnt become a big distraction
  • Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2011/11/10 19:32:48
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +2
    Absolutely.

The only place we're not allowed to eat in school are the science classrooms, a few meeting rooms, and the library... and that's just common sense. But I don't always get to eat breakfast, and because my ADD meds throw off my appetite, it can be nonexistent during lunch, and come roaring back in the middle of G period.

It's not like I snack on random stuff throughout the day. But I essentially end up eating breakfast in A-period, and lunch in G or E period regularly. And if it's one of those days where I'm extremely hungry/about to crash, and need a snack, I keep a stock of food in my locker that I can bring to class to snack on and get me through. In fact, there are some teachers who have bowls of snacks in their offices, so we can just dip in and grab something on our way from one building to another.

It is pretty much ESSENTIAL that I be allowed to eat in class. I would be very bad off if I wasn't. Occasionally, other students also bring food to class, and it's nice that it's not such a roaring huge deal. We all clean up our stuff, and we're fairly neat to begin with. We don't make a mess, our food isn't loud, and it's a big help.
  • Reality-Check 2011/11/10 09:28:33
    Reality-Check
    +1
    NO! food should be consumed in refectories /atriums canteens etc... NOT in the classroom..
  • bricklyn 2011/11/10 04:04:39
    bricklyn
    +1
    Six meals a day does not require eating in class at all. You can eat on your breaks, after school and befor bed.
  • Imperfe... bricklyn 2011/11/10 04:12:10
    Imperfect*Love
    +3
    what breaks?!?!??!?
    they give us lunch and thats it.
  • bricklyn Imperfe... 2011/11/20 19:04:00
    bricklyn
    That is when you eat. There is no need for anyone to eat other than that. I work and all I get is a lunch break. What happens when you get a job?
  • Imperfe... bricklyn 2011/11/20 21:51:34
    Imperfect*Love
    even then its hard to get full off of the meals and get lunch because the lines are so long.
  • The Pot... bricklyn 2011/11/10 11:48:05
    The Potato Princess
    +2
    What breaks?
  • bricklyn The Pot... 2011/11/20 19:06:18
    bricklyn
    All schools give breaks.
  • Imperfe... bricklyn 2011/11/20 21:50:58
    Imperfect*Love
    are you a teacher? no
    are you even in school? no
    did you go to ever school in the world? no
    all schools are different.
  • The Pot... bricklyn 2011/11/20 22:12:43
    The Potato Princess
    +1
    O.O What world do you live in?

I don't have a break. I have four minutes in between classes to get from place to place. I don't have a lunch. I don't have a free period.
  • Yuki ~ ... bricklyn 2011/11/10 19:33:49
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +2
    What breaks are you talking about? My school, you have two minutes to get to your next class-- five, if you're running from one side of campus to the other.
  • bricklyn Yuki ~ ... 2011/11/20 19:05:53
    bricklyn
    At the college level, you were the one who signed up for classes! So you are adult enough to have been able to sort that out in advance. If you didn't that was your own fault. Why would you expect someone else to deal with your problem not? Lack of planning on your part does not become the responsibility of others.
  • Anariashki 2011/11/10 02:38:04
    Anariashki
    +2
    Unless the cleaning staff has a problem with it, in which case it isn't up to the teacher. I see adults in law school eating in class every day (though not noisy things, basic consideration still rules), and I'm never spotted without coffee in hand whether a lecturer is speaking or not.
  • Brosia 2011/11/10 01:56:49
    Brosia
    +2
    Depending on what you are looking to eat, sure. Also, it depends on what class you are talking about. Never in science class, because that would be icky. But, when I was in school, it was fine, so long as what you where looking to eat was something small and not really messy. Granola bars, fruit snacks, cracker sandwiches, yogurt pouches, and the like.
  • Reggie☮ 2011/11/10 00:35:36
    Reggie☮
    +3
    It will start out well intended then it will probablyget out of hand.
  • Imperfe... Reggie☮ 2011/11/10 04:04:12
    Imperfect*Love
    esp. for the immature ones or thoses that overdo it and has a big meal
  • Reggie☮ Imperfe... 2011/11/10 04:48:58
    Reggie☮
    +1
    I agree
  • DBSK(fanatic) 2011/11/10 00:30:13
    DBSK(fanatic)
    +2
    Hell yes!! Im in college I'll be lucky to even hav 2 meals a day. The only time that we really do have is durin class and are mini 5-10min breaks. I know it's our responisblitiy it eat but come on at least let us snack a little durin class so we can curve our cravings.
  • bricklyn DBSK(fa... 2011/11/10 04:07:23
    bricklyn
    +1
    Being in college means that you are not in class all day long. You have time for breakfast and supper and you have time befor bed as well. You are responsible for your own schedule and should be able to fit eating into it. Schedule planning is part of being an adult.
  • Zammo bricklyn 2011/11/13 19:57:20
    Zammo
    +1
    Yeah, when I was in college I could never get my classes scheduled together. One would be early in the morning, one midday, and one late afternoon. Had plenty of time to eat, study or procrastinate (no, never did that!)
  • Angel 2011/11/10 00:05:12
    Angel
    +2
    As long as it is healthy and not too messy (after all gotta think of text books and general clean up) I see no problem with allowing students to have snacks in class
  • Ms.Gamlieli 2011/11/09 22:23:09
    Ms.Gamlieli
    I dont think thats a good idea just because things are good just the way they are right now. They have brunch and lunch. plus allowing to eat in class will only increase more spills and stains on school materials and the carpet. Lets face it students will also use that as an excuse to fool around or not to do work.
  • Imperfe... Ms.Gaml... 2011/11/10 04:05:47
    Imperfect*Love
    we dont hvae brunch.. and only a few classrooms have carpet and its the janitors job to clean...they barely do that right

in my school
  • Yuki ~ ... Ms.Gaml... 2011/11/10 19:36:04
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +1
    I see your point, but at my school, we keep things extremely neat.

If students started getting messy, it would be appropriate for the teacher to take that privilege away. But if they're being considerate of it, then why not? It's certainly a lifesaver at my school!
  • Pocahontas 2011/11/09 21:25:27
    Pocahontas
    +1
    in some cases. like... her:
    lizzie velasquez
  • The Pot... Pocahontas 2011/11/09 21:54:48
    The Potato Princess
    +1
    Is that the girl with the metabolism that'll kill her if she's not constantly eating?
  • Pocahontas The Pot... 2011/11/09 21:58:17 (edited)
    Pocahontas
    +1
    yes. edit: every 15 minutes.
  • The Pot... Pocahontas 2011/11/09 22:01:02
    The Potato Princess
    Poor girl.
  • Pocahontas The Pot... 2011/11/09 22:09:54
    Pocahontas
    +1
    yes, indeed...
  • Nessa 2011/11/09 21:25:01
    Nessa
    +1
    Yes non of my teachers allow us but I definatly think they should!
  • bricklyn Nessa 2011/11/10 04:08:31
    bricklyn
    You are supposed to be learning in class. Eating is a distraction.
  • Nessa bricklyn 2011/11/10 17:16:32
    Nessa
    i don't mean like eating while we're doing work but like maybe we could have a 10 minute break where we could eat?
  • bricklyn Nessa 2011/11/20 19:08:14
    bricklyn
    If you are in college, you are an adult. You are expected to act like one. You are in charge of your own schedule. Deal with it.

2014/12/20 08:42:50