Should rich americans have to pay more taxes?

MANOFSTRENGTH 2012/01/02 22:09:59
Related Topics: taxes, Americans

• Pat 2012/01/03 03:55:43
    +9
    This is kind of a misleading question because it is not a matter of dollars and cents but rather percentages. Right now, average people in the U.S. pay a much higher percentage of their income in taxes while the wealthy pay a smaller percentage due to all their tax breaks and deductions. If I'm paying 23%, they someone much wealthier should not be paying 10%. It simply isn't fair. But it isn't only the taxes that are out of whack, it's salaries as well. NO one is worth what some of these gazzillionaires make. And show me anywhere where you can raise a family on $10/hour or even $20/hour. It's almost impossible and it certainly doesn't cover healthcare expenses, college or leave any room for vacations or even a night at the movies. The whole financial structure has to change drastically so that every working person can make a decent living.

• Redneck chgo 2012/01/04 03:15:07
    Redneck
    Well I happen to have recently been given a very good job by one of those businesses that moved to texas to avoid taxes. They've been very good to me and I hope they continue to have obscen profits off of my labors. The lady that owns the company I work for started as a home health RN making $50,000 a year and now owns a multi state home health corporation and is as rich as crap and I'll gladly make her more rich because she pays me very well.
  • chgo Redneck 2012/01/04 04:28:48
    chgo
    1,470 households filed tax returns with incomes above $1 million yet paid no federal income tax, according to the Internal Revenue Service. How many millionaires out there are paying 5%, 10%, 15% rates while a bus driver making 45K is paying 20% and a secretary making only 60K is paying 25%?

Did I not say only 9 percent of taxes came from corporate taxes? That's a fact.Corporate taxes accounted for about 9 percent of all federal revenue in 2010. At $191 billion, they were equal to 1.3 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product. Most industrial countries collect more from companies, about 2.5 percent of output. Only a portion of that disparity can be explained by the many types of businesses in the United States that elect to be taxed at an individual rate.
    But some prominent business leaders, including the chief executive of Procter & Gamble, are pushing for the rate to be reduced without reining in tax shelters. That would make the United States virtually the only country to change corporate taxes in recent years in a way that ended up adding to its deficit.
  • western... chgo 2012/01/04 03:35:22
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    owners risk their capital .... usually anyhow except banks? for that reason alone the bulk of the rewards are theirs ... if it is so easy just do it.
  • chgo western... 2012/01/03 04:46:18
    chgo
    And for your information that for the rich, most of that income does not come from salaries and wages, but actually capital gains and dividends. in 2008, only 19% of the income reported by the 13,480 individuals or families making over $10 million came from wages and salaries. That's hardly success.
  • Dick Nixon chgo 2012/01/03 04:55:05
    Dick Nixon
    Go ahead and believe Wallstreet. Fool!!!
  • western... chgo 2012/01/04 03:38:27
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    for old school rich I would agree, but according to forbes only 1/3 of millionaires are in this category. like I said above success comes from risking your capital for your own business ... if so easy, just do it.
  • chgo western... 2012/01/04 04:21:05
    chgo
    "...according to forbes only 1/3 of millionaires are in this category."

Wrong again, Where's the link? The latest data says 60 percent of 1percent are executives. I can't find it, but this report itself is a couple of years old but no matter, it’s still highly informative. http://www.forbes.com/sites/t...
    Wall Street. Financial professions amount to 14% of the top one percent, up from 8% in 1979 (rounded numbers). Yes, a rise, but most certainly not the vast majority that one might expect given the vituperation that is aimed at Wall Street and its denizens.

The medical profession (almost all doctors except for the very occasional nurse in the California penitentiary system) is a larger portion of this one percent than even finance is. Indeed it always has been. And medicine has held its place as the second largest (after business executives) over those decades as the portion of GDP going to the top one percent has increased. Indeed (from Table 6) the doctors in the top 1% are getting 1.85% of total GDP while the finance professionals are getting 2.77%.

the income of the top 0.01 mirrors that of the top 1% in 1929? Jacob Hacker and Paul Pierson wrote a book on this phenomenon called "Winner Take All Politics". You should read it; you just might learn something new.

"..like I said a...

"..like I said above success comes from risking your capital for your own business..."

That is not success or from hard work, genius. It is pure stupid luck. The stock market fluctuates every time. One false move and whole stock share is gone. there's no honor in that, genius. And it's not actual "working". are you slow? The stock price is determined by the amount the company owes vs the assets that the company has... And why are you focusing on the individual stocks? Millionaires like Romney and others alike get most of their income from mutual funds.
  • western... chgo 2012/01/05 04:34:34
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    I was going by memory and generally don't do other's research, but here is a source indicating 31% of US folks inherited their money.

http://moneytipcentral.com/se...
  • Dick Nixon western... 2012/01/03 04:51:44
    Dick Nixon
    You mean you don't know where you are? Yes it is only in America where the rich get away with whatever they please... You know the old saying, "money talks"... With success there also comes a tax to pay... Remember Al Capone? He didnt pay his and ended up on The Rock...
  • western... Dick Nixon 2012/01/04 03:39:24
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    many rich have been put in jail, but many have gotten away as well
  • antiteaparty 2012/01/03 03:50:30
    antiteaparty
    +1
    They use this counties resources to get rich so they should not have a problem paying extra in taxes to stay rich.
  • Dick Nixon antitea... 2012/01/03 04:56:50
    Dick Nixon
    +1
    Most of them use Mexico's resources now. Cheap Labor as they grow richer... There should be laws against American companies moving to Mexico..
  • antitea... Dick Nixon 2012/01/03 05:00:51
    antiteaparty
    Well they should be allowed to move to Mexico if they want but they should be taxed to hell if they do and their products should be marked with a special tap showing that it was made outside the US and shouldn't be purchased because it cost a US job.
  • Dick Nixon antitea... 2012/01/03 05:06:29
    Dick Nixon
    We just keep feeding the immigrants... American companies moving down there and illegal immigrants jumping the border on a nightly basis taking our jobs... You can walk into ANY American warehouse or factory and its 90 percent Mexican labor... I find something seriously wrong with this... Im not a racist but I believe in feeding your own first...
  • antitea... Dick Nixon 2012/01/03 05:18:47
    antiteaparty
    I'm sorry but you are wrong. My ex wife and mother of my son was an illegal and so is her family. 1st, the jobs they take are jobs Americans refuse to do or won't do right when they take them. I met her working one of those jobs and I was a supervisor. We couldn't get Americans to do those jobs and we had up to 300 per shift and the few Americans that we could get out there wouldn't work and usually quit within a day or 2. Trust me they took no ones job. That company really tried to get Americans. The people that were out there were the hardest working and most law abiding people I have ever known in my life. They left utter poverty for a better life and all they want is to live in peace and raise their families.
  • Dick Nixon antitea... 2012/01/03 14:02:36
    Dick Nixon
    Well you are speaking of one particular place of employment. I live close to an industrial zone where there are many well paying jobs that are given to immigrants... At the same time, I know many unemployed people that would like to have one of those jobs but they cant because some Mexican has it and sends his earnings back to Mexico... I feel bad for the Mexican people... Their government throws them under the bus... This situation is like having family... Feed your own first...
  • antitea... Dick Nixon 2012/01/03 14:15:21
    antiteaparty
    If you know of this why aren't you calling INS?
  • Dick Nixon antitea... 2012/01/03 15:43:24 (edited)
    Dick Nixon
    How can I? Bush welcomed them with open arms... What ones are illegal, if INS cannot ship a bus load back to Mexico, they don't mess with it... The reason I know this is because a low life illegal immigrant pulled a knife on me. The neighbors called the police and everyone knew and informed authorities that the man was here illegally. They're response, "If we dont have a bus load to ship back, its not worth the hassle or the money"... I have called!!!
  • LovelyLady10 2012/01/03 03:49:33
    LovelyLady10
    They should but they don't because they elect their friends to office who look out for their special interests.
  • Doug King 2012/01/03 03:32:44
    Doug King
    +3
    Why should they? They have earned what they got and who the hell are you to say they owe more of what they got.
  • Jakedog 2012/01/03 03:28:23
    Jakedog
    +1
    Yes, they use more services that cost taxpayers money so they need to pay more plus it is their obligation as they live in a country that affords them the rights to own property and that requires laws and services to uphold those laws.
  • Dub 2012/01/03 03:22:56
    Dub
    +4
    I say 15% of all income no matter how much you make, and that's it. So you earn 100 bucks this week the government takes 15 and you get 85. Its easy and there'd be no need to file income tax every year.
  • Leo Dub 2012/01/03 03:44:18
    Leo
    I agree. Why is that so difficult?
  • Dub Leo 2012/01/03 03:55:14
    Dub
    +1
    I guess because governments like to confuse and distort things so it seems good when its all just a big mess. Too much bureaucracy, and not enough actually doing somthing useful. At least those are my thoughts.
  • Leo Dub 2012/01/03 04:04:05
    Leo
    I did a summer internship at a government agency in D.C. when I was in college. I was astounded at what those people got away with. They came in late and blamed it on the traffic. They took 2 hour lunches and said sorry, the service was slow. They left early saying they had a personal emergency. And so on and so on. One day I casually mentioned I'd like to see Inner Harbor in Baltimore before I left the area and my supervisor said Oh take the afternoon off! No problem!
  • Dub Leo 2012/01/03 04:15:58
  • chgo Dub 2012/01/03 04:41:26
    chgo
    Quite possibly the dumbest idea I've read on here...

today.
  • Dub chgo 2012/01/07 04:41:27
    Dub
    and why is it dumb? Its fair actually. everyone pays the same based on what they make. no breaks for anyone for any reason.

what's your better solution then?
  • chgo Dub 2012/01/07 04:55:44
    chgo
    "Its fair actually. "

No, it's not. Is there something wrong with you?! What kind of person thinks a bus driver making 40K a year or a security making 55K a year should be paying the same rate as someone making 250K a year? You do realize that there other kinds of taxes (states, exercise, poll, FICA, sales, etc,) people pay (which the bottom 99 percent foot the bill on)?

"what's your better solution then?"

What?! How about ending the Bush tax cuts, reinstating the statuatiry 35 percent corporate tax limit and closing tax loopholes (heavens)? What everyone has been screaming for for so long.
  • Dub chgo 2012/01/07 05:06:52 (edited)
    Dub
    What do you mean whats wrong with me. 15 percent isn't that much. and I must disagree everyone should pay the same rate. Why should someone who makes more money pay more taxes? If they make more money they earned it. Thats no reason to tax them higher. They worked for their money. 15 percent of 40 k would be 6K not that much. 15 percent of 250k would be 37.5K also not that much. See those who make more would still pay more money. So if you want more in your pocket work harder instead of expecting the government to hand it to you. Its that simple. The guy who makes 250 K a year didn't settle at being a bus driver. he went for more and worked for it. the bus driver at 40K didn't. he stayed a bus driver.

edit** I forgot to add before the edit. If you read my initial post. I said 15% of all income no matter how much you make, and that's it. So you earn 100 bucks this week the government takes 15 and you get 85. Its easy and there'd be no need to file income tax every year.

Now that would mean there would be no other tax but the 15 percent. I would have mentioned other taxes if I wanted to include them in my statement.
  • chgo Dub 2012/01/07 06:06:19
    chgo
    You're making it look there Is indeed something wrong with you. Your own idea would hand out tons of breaks to the very wealthy, in the misguided hope that prosperity will then trickle down to everybody else.You seem to not realize or ignore the fact that the middle class and working class people have to pay OTHER taxes (state, exercise, poll, FICA, etc. ) on top of that, not just only federal taxes. You don''t even how much a lower middle-class person paid in federal income taxes last year. A lower middle class people making 33K a year only pays less than 1-3 percent fed income taxes in 2010. And want them pay a single, flat, income tax rate of 15% of that income. How will they live? They need to pay the bills, etc., support a family, pay for gas. Many people are only raking in a nice $$1,650 a month or $20,000 a year! Tack on another side job that pays $1,200 a month and I’m in the Top 50% (33K).

Your idea would be a tax hike for the lower middle class and a tax windfall for the wealthy. If you have a family of four with an income of just under $50,000, they could end up paying more under a flat tax plan. Currently, they are taxed around $3,850 in income tax. Under Cain’s 9-9-9 plan, they would be taxed at 9 percent or pay $4,500. That’s $650 more. Imagine what would be t...

Your idea would be a tax hike for the lower middle class and a tax windfall for the wealthy. If you have a family of four with an income of just under $50,000, they could end up paying more under a flat tax plan. Currently, they are taxed around $3,850 in income tax. Under Cain’s 9-9-9 plan, they would be taxed at 9 percent or pay $4,500. That’s $650 more. Imagine what would be they were taxed at 15 percent. That around 6,300 they're going away to the IRS.

People earning more than $1 million a year would receive an average tax cut of $613,689 in 2015, compared with what they pay now. That change would boost their after-tax income by 28.7 percent and put their average tax rate at 11.9 percent. It gives millionaires a tax cut of more than $600,000 per year each while PUTTING ALL THE BURDEN ON THE MIDDLE CLASS and WORKING CLASS.

"Why should someone who makes more money pay more taxes?"

Maybe you have been paying attention to how bad income inequality is in this country. The pay more in taxes because that is where most of the national income is. duh!Under your idiot plan, half of the entire benefit goes to the richest 1 percent of taxpayers. The richest 0.1 percent of the country will receive a tax cut worth nearly $2 million each and every year. These tax cuts are in addition to what the wealthy are already receiving from their disproportionate share of the Bush tax cuts.

The U.S. workforce in 2002 is made up of 228 million employees who earned a total of $6.7 trillion last year. T
    The richest 1 percent took away a whopping $1.8 trillion, or over 26 percent of America’s national income. Wanna guess where the 1 percent-99 percent divide is? Interesting coincidence: at $87,500 a year. Slap the same 12.4 percent FICA payroll tax on the over-$87,500 crowd — the kind of “flat tax” that makes Steve Forbes’ cheeks flush — and you bring in $219 billion a year. That puts the system into the black starting in 2037 and as far beyond that as a C.P.A. can see. Just in year 2005, the rich represented 35 percent of all the income reported.
    http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/i...

The end result of the plan would be millionaires paying a lower tax rate than middle-class families, as a millionaire would pay an 11.9 percent rate, while a family making $40,000-$50,000 would pay 12.7 percent.

Plus, the Tax Plan would add Would Add $1.3 Trillion to Deficit
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news...

The Congressional Budget Office estimates that the government will collect $3.7 trillion in 2015, meaning that Gingrich’s tax plan would result in a 35 percent cut in federal revenue and a $1.5 trillion deficit, assuming no additional spending cuts or economic growth spurred by the tax cuts.

Gingrich’s plan would leave enough money to cover the cost of so-called mandatory spending, a category that includes Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, along with part of the interest on the U.S. debt. Dedicating the money for those purposes wouldn’t leave any funds for defense spending or any other federal agency.
  • Dub chgo 2012/01/07 06:23:04 (edited)
    Dub
    Your making it complicated tho. I'm talking about making it simple and have everyone pay the same rate on all their income and not a penny more for anything else. I'm not counting on your trickle down theory to work. I was just coming up with a fair for everyone simple solution. You earn money you pay 15 percent which is not that much as you claim it to be.

also what does the government really need money for besides law enforcement, and defending our boarders. Nothing. The whole reason it needs to spend money on things other than that is because it is wasting it.
  • chgo Dub 2012/01/07 06:27:10
    chgo
    "Your making it complicated tho"

I know, I know. It's called critical thinking. try and use it someone, Rather than regurgitating the same dogmatic ideologies and garbage the right-wing media feeds you sheep. You're not an independent thinker.

"I was just coming up with a fair for everyone simple solution. You earn money you pay 15 percent which is not that much as you claim it to be.Paying the same rate isn't fair and insane. are You an idiot? "
  • Dub chgo 2012/01/07 06:37:38
    Dub
    No I just don't see the need for all the different percents and deductions and crap like that. I don't see why I have to file a complicated tax return every year or pay someone to do it for me? Why can't they just take a percentage of my check each week and call it even? and yes the same percentage is fair. I still don't get why the rich should pay a higher percentage, or why we need to pay a bunch of different taxes. Whats so bad about making a dollar and paying a whole whopping 15 cents to the government on that dollar. Its not gonna make that big of a difference. 85 cents is not that much less than a dollar. Oh also if you work a little more and make 2 dollars yea you pay 30 cents but you still have 1.70 in your pocket. So if you work a lot more and make 50k you put 42.5k in your pocket, and if you work even harder and make 200k you put 170k in your pocket. I don't understand why thats a problem.
  • chgo Dub 2012/01/07 07:42:55
    chgo
    You are the most narrow-minded simpleton I've ever "met". have you ever been psychiatricly evaluated? You must have some kind of mental illness. That's why you perceive things the way you do. You live in your little ignorant, imaginary, oblivious of what constitutes reality. You seem to Intensely preoccupy yourself with a narrow subject and one-sided verbosity.
  • Starman Dub 2012/01/03 22:21:53
    Starman
    I agree. If we were to do this then the rich would be paying much more in taxes than they are today, and middle class Americans would pay much less.
  • Dub Starman 2012/01/07 04:42:25
    Dub
    your right the rich would pay more than they are now, but the poor if they earn money would also pay the same percentage. And its not such a high percentage that it would break anyone.
  • chgo Starman 2012/01/07 04:58:02 (edited)
    chgo
    You obviously didn't think what he said through well enough. Why should a kid working at McDonald's pay 15% just like a multimillionaire?

And the rich would NOT be paying much more in taxes. They'd actually have tax breaks? Also, the fed would not collect enough revenue to make up the budget gaps.

",,,middle class Americans would pay much less."

lower middle families and others would actually have tax hikes imposed on.
    breaks middle class americans pay middle families tax hikes imposed
  • JohnFitzgeral12 2012/01/03 03:15:51
    JohnFitzgeral12
    Sure, AFTER we make lots of cuts.
  • Ol'Dave 2012/01/03 03:00:03
    Ol'Dave
    The TAX SYSTEM need to be TWO TIERED. One tier for those rich people or CORPORATIONS that use thier $ to employ people in GOOD JOBS (lower tax rate). The other for rich & Corporations that SIT ON THEIR $.

2014/10/21 20:13:30