Should Restaurants Charge Customers a Fine for 'Food Wastage'?

We'll admit it: Sometimes our eyes are a little bigger than our stomachs. But we don't expect to pay extra just because we're feeling a little full! The Kylin Buffet, a Chinese restaurant in England offering an all-you-can-eat buffet -- has posted a notice warning customers of a $32 for "food wastage" fine, The Daily Mail reports.

One mom was told she had to pay the fine after she, her 10-year-old son and 6-year-old niece left two onion rings, a piece of shrimp toast and a spring roll on their plates.

"After we had our starters, we went up for our main course. But a member of staff came over and asked if we weren’t going to eat the food on our plates, and said we would have to pay an extra $32 to cover food wastage costs," Beverley Clark told the Mail. "I was furious and said we were already paying $28 for three meals, but the staff kept checking if we had eaten the food. In the end I wrapped it up in a [napkin], and put it into my bag when they weren’t looking, so it looked like we had eaten it."

After Clark complained, the restaurant deducted about $5 from her bill. "In the end I didn’t have to pay the extra charge, but it felt as though they were trying to rip me off," she said.

Sam Fung, manager at the Kylin Buffet, is standing behind the policy. "I accept that my staff should not have spoken to the family about the food on their plates more than once. However, they left a lot of food from the buffet on their plates and we have to charge for wastage of food," Fung told the Mail.

Now, we don't know how it is in England these days, but in America, you're often given way more food that you could possibly eat. And we also have a growing obesity epidemic ... if anything, restaurants should pay you for NOT finishing your food!

• chubby 2012/05/22 06:22:53
    chubby
    +2
    $1/gram wasted.
  • Dzeeng 2012/05/22 06:03:55
    Dzeeng
    +1
    Take what you need and stop overeating!
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/05/22 05:18:25
    nothingbutthetruth
    I think they should give them a discount. If the food was delicious, I don't think there would be any waste.(:
  • david c... nothing... 2012/05/22 13:18:54
    david carter
    +1
    Work at a restaurant and you'll see this isn't true. Allot of people love bargains and taking more food than they will be able to eat is a great bargain in their minds.
  • nothing... david c... 2012/05/25 05:40:25
    nothingbutthetruth
    Bargain vs Delicious or quantity vs quality(:
  • Jenni 2012/05/22 04:56:39
    Jenni
    +1
    Instead of 'all you can eat" it should be called "only what you can eat"
  • Airhead Jenni 2012/05/23 18:34:20
    Airhead
    +2
    they both mean the same thing...
  • nothing... Airhead 2012/05/25 05:41:18
    nothingbutthetruth
    Heehehe, that's true!(:
  • nothing... Jenni 2012/05/25 05:42:52
    nothingbutthetruth
    Thanks for trying some other Title gate way(:
  • Jenni nothing... 2012/06/07 05:12:12
    Jenni
    ? What does that mean?
  • nothing... Jenni 2012/06/09 06:16:29
    nothingbutthetruth
    "nstead of 'all you can eat" it should be called "only what you can eat" Meaning thanks for trying to come up with another name for the restaurant service.
  • Jenni nothing... 2012/06/14 15:21:14
    Jenni
    +1
    Haha lol
  • nothing... Jenni 2012/06/15 07:18:13
    nothingbutthetruth
    (:
  • MissNovemberTuesday 2012/05/22 04:38:19
  • david c... MissNov... 2012/05/22 13:27:19
    david carter
    +2
    I agree that up to about 4 ounces of waste is acceptable to allow for food you don't like. You would probably be amazed and disgusted to see the amounts gluttonous peple waste in a buffet though.
  • Airhead MissNov... 2012/05/23 18:35:54
    Airhead
    +1
    It's most likely coming to where you live because it's already being implemented here. If you didn't like the food you just tell the waiting staff and they normally don't charge the fee.
  • Thomas Roth II 2012/05/22 04:32:53
    Thomas Roth II
    +1
    Only buffets.
  • Cat 2012/05/22 04:29:16
    Cat
    That is so bull. All you can eat than they should not advertise, Buffet than do not advertise too. Chinese, I can teach them more cost effective. Good food, but I am not going to take the consequences of not knowing their ratio. BTW, I am Financial.
  • ExaltedGod Cat 2012/05/22 12:11:29
    ExaltedGod
    +1
    BTW you should go back to school to learn how to write a proper sentence.
  • Airhead ExaltedGod 2012/05/23 18:37:15
    Airhead
    Seriously, sodahead keeps reminding me of how stupid americans are.
  • kiki 2012/05/22 04:14:53
    kiki
    No but if they are going to do it anyway at least charge by the amount that they didn't eat
  • Cat kiki 2012/05/22 04:34:39
    Cat
    Actually buffet one cannot take home, but All you can eat another issue.
  • clh1 2012/05/22 03:18:23
    clh1
    I think that is rude!!
  • Ro 2012/05/22 03:14:54
    Ro
    +2
    I went on a cruise and one woman at our table ordered 2 meals every nite, took 2 bites out of one and didn't touch the other. She ordered a meal for her son (who was sick) and he didn't touch it. There was more food thrown out at our table than was eaten ("because they paid for it"). I think it's disgusting that so much food is wasted in the US...especially when we have so many people starving here and in other countries. Take only what you can eat and pay for what you waste!
  • ccaveinn Ro 2012/05/22 10:10:57
    ccaveinn
    This has nothing to do with the moron on your cruise, she was definitely wrong and if people leave a number of full plates then yes they should be charged, but for just leaving a couple of things on your plate that you decide you didn't like, or weren't able to finish, that's absurd.
  • xxx 2012/05/22 03:05:44
    xxx
    People are getting more and more messed up. Causing more drama then needed.
  • Airhead xxx 2012/05/23 18:41:40
    Airhead
    I see your point but I have to say that people used to have more kooth than they do now. We never used to need policies like this because people used to be better mannered than they are now.
  • MazyZickefoose 2012/05/22 02:56:16
    MazyZickefoose
    +2
    At a buffet it is a fair/good idea. At a regular restaurant, no, it is not fair since a lot of places often give me more food than I could eat in one sitting & often ask for a box to take it home.
  • Knotafan 2012/05/22 02:40:17 (edited)
    Knotafan
    If you pay for it, it's yours to eat or not.
    You should have stated if it is all you can eat or not, it does make a difference.
  • Jackie 2012/05/22 02:35:14
    Jackie
    +3
    If it is a buffet, then they should charge if you waste a lot a lot of food. There is no excuse to load up a plate and then say it didn't taste good, or you weren't hungry. If you're not hungry, then why take so much? And don't take very much if you aren't sure you'll like it. Take a little of something first and then go back for more if you really like it. Waste is poor planning by someone that needs to grow up.
  • MissNov... Jackie 2012/05/22 04:46:12
    MissNovemberTuesday
    +2
    But until you taste something you don't know if it tastes good. I have been to buffets where the food was good one night, but another night, the mac and cheese was runny or something didn't taste food or the ribs were all fat and no meat. Sometimes you are going to have some food left on your plate. It happens, even if you plan on taking only small amounts of each thing. And you have to be able to try things without risk of penalties of you don't like it. That is part of the point of a buffet. I had never had Salmon before we took a cruise. It was in the buffet, so I was able to try a little to see what it was like. Turns out, I love Salmon, depending on how it is prepared. I would have never ordered it in a restaurant because I would be stuck with a whole serving and might not like it. But the buffet was a perfect chance to find out. And again, I only took a small amount to taste first. I am reasonable, but charging for 2 onion rings left over is ridiculous! And how do they know that something didn't fall on the table or floor and that is why you are not eating it? There are so many reasons things might not get eaten. I can only see charging someone if they leave HEAPING amounts of food behind. But this is beyond reasonable.
  • Jackie MissNov... 2012/05/27 01:55:46
    Jackie
    I agree that it may be off from night to night, but I still think, and obviously you agree, that you shouldn't load up your plate with food until you taste it first. I've been to buffets where parents let kids take huge amounts of food and then turn up their nose at it and get a big dish of ice cream instead. Since one can go back for seconds at a buffet, I still think they should charge for excessive waste of food. That is just plain sinful and stupid.
  • locoheaven 2012/05/22 02:35:13
    locoheaven
    +2
    Why not bring it home in a to go box. It's such a shame children die every night and go to sleep with out food. When we have all the food we want and it goes in the trash
  • ccaveinn locoheaven 2012/05/22 10:14:06
    ccaveinn
    +1
    You can't take food home in a to go box at a buffet unless you pay for it seperately. If you could everyone would take 20 plates of crab legs and be like, oh I can't finish these, let me get a box, and then have a shellfish party! haha
  • El Prez 2012/05/22 02:18:22
    El Prez
    +1
    Here we go over reaching again to "control" somebody. First, the "penalty" was paid when the fool ordered more food than he could eat, second, the food can be taken home and eaten later. third, why woukd the restaurant get to profit and how would they enforce it? Idiots solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
  • JacquelChrissyC.May 2012/05/22 02:13:18
    JacquelChrissyC.May
    +2
    There are too many people starving in the world and I think it's stupid that we can just waste food if we can't eat it all. Take what you need and stop overeating!
  • ccaveinn Jacquel... 2012/05/22 10:15:40
    ccaveinn
    And if this restaurant isn't giving this wasted food to starving people, then your argument is pretty much dead.
  • WilliePierce 2012/05/22 02:11:09
    WilliePierce
    i paid to buy the food. its mine. i.e. not theirs. its like a gas station fining me for not using enough gas
  • BladeCaptain 2012/05/22 02:09:09 (edited)
    BladeCaptain
    If this is a serve yourself then if I overserved myself I should be able to take it with me when I am done
  • Stay'nalive @ 65 2012/05/22 02:06:16
    Stay'nalive @ 65
    Sounds like another crazy Liberal idea. If they start doing that here in the US. People will just start eating at home....

2014/10/26 09:32:39