Should Print Textbooks Be Replaced by eBooks on Tablets?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• MercuryZero 2012/07/28 07:40:15
    No, printed books are more appropriate for students.
    MercuryZero
    +9
    Technology may be more advanced but they aren't guaranteed to work all the time. You drop a textbook, no big deal. You drop a tablet...well you get the picture.

broken tablet

• wildcat 2012/07/28 13:09:58
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    wildcat
    +2
    that is technology, it is going to happen
  • Kam wildcat 2012/07/28 13:23:21
    Kam
    +2
    That is true. In the UK, a primary school has already got 13 free tablets for education
  • Pam 2012/07/28 12:45:23
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    Pam
    +1
    I am a visual person so if the book is going to be a book that you use daily like a math text book I would use a regular text book. If it a book that you will only read one time for a report then a EBooks will do just fine.
  • donna.robinson.102 2012/07/28 12:03:10
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    donna.robinson.102
    +1
    One day right before the school year ended my sister stopped over with my neice/god child, my neice finished up some school work while we all caught up, when it was time to leave, because i had a few things for them i went for my neices knapsack of school books to help carry thier belogings out to the car, when i reached for it, i nearly pulled my arm out of its socket, no exaggerating thats how heavy it was, as i winced and stated what in the world? i also got a to thinking,this is way to heavy for a child to carry, and then she told me there were more, my thoughts were its time for the schools to put these lessons on a tablet, the weight these guys are carrying around on thier back is way too much, its damaging them before they even start working for a living, and is bound to affect them well before thier prime, she's not even allowed to have a rolling school bag because the school feels it damages the floor., its really a subject upon which they need to investigate!
  • Emily Barrington 2012/07/28 09:48:14
    Emily Barrington
    +1
    You have to worry 'bout idiots breasking 'em, replacing batteries, getting them charged, insurance etc, and its not worth it.
  • SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin 2012/07/28 08:27:45
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    SebaTheSociallyAwkwardPenguin
    +1
    Depends on the course
  • AyyyJose 2012/07/28 08:23:05
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    AyyyJose
    +2
    They're doing that at my district this upcoming year.. Just my luck.. Barely graduating & all -.-"
  • keelan 2012/07/28 08:13:01
    keelan
    +2
    i say kill the education system
  • Patti ... keelan 2012/07/28 13:31:03
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    Yep and boost up those privatized prisons for profit. Get the picture?
  • keelan Patti ... 2012/07/28 14:32:24
    keelan
    +1
    no the whole system itself needs to b dead or at least refined so that every one can have an equal peice of the pie that way there will b no need 4 prisons...think about it majority of crimes done is because of the lack of money...i personaly dont believe in money because it makes people evil, those with and without
  • Patti ... keelan 2012/07/29 17:48:34
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    And education is an equal oppurtunity to learn to be something more than prison bound. So Im unsure of your comment above.
  • keelan Patti ... 2012/07/29 18:12:14
    keelan
    man i been to school from pre k to 12th grade in two years after i graduated i have learned more use full stuff than what i learned in school...all school duz is to teach you to b a good slave to the system
  • Patti ... keelan 2012/07/30 23:14:21
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +1
    LOL I went to public school and did just fine. Did you ever think it may have been you? Did you do your homework? Did you ask for help if needed? Did you skip a lot? And btw, Im far from a slave to the system.
  • keelan Patti ... 2012/07/30 23:22:18
    keelan
    +1
    o did quite fine in school math wasnt my strong subject tho never stayed back and yes i did skip school and classes allot in high school and still passed, it was not even that hard its just a waist of time because of things i have seen (the social part was worth it tho)...but u aint seeing it through my eyes what is your religion
  • Patti ... keelan 2012/07/31 00:15:16
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +1
    Christian. Im not into organized religion. If you passed and graduated and you thought it was easy, you should have taken full advantage and earned yourself a scholarship. And took advantage of duel enrollment. I think its a 3.6 or higher. Everyone skips but some kids take it to the extreme and skip every other class as if that cant be detected. When that happens they lose. I think there are just a few rare ppl who dont have problems with math. I think thats part of the problem, socializing. Its about that with most and not the grades. Not sure what you have seen??
  • keelan Patti ... 2012/08/01 06:43:50
  • Patti ... keelan 2012/08/01 13:55:54
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +1
    Yes I agree. The monetary system is far from ethical for sure. However if your getting at having an anarchy, there has to be some laws. I mean otherwise, children and animals, the defenseless are abused terribly. If regulations arent in place on the big banks and wall street, then our economy takes this turn and its the ppl that get screwed everytime.
  • keelan Patti ... 2012/08/02 14:40:12
    keelan
    +1
    hmmm it must be the anger idk i just feel things would b better off with out all this because if one man can run a country that should mean we can rule ourselves
  • Patti ... keelan 2012/08/03 13:04:42 (edited)
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +1
    We are supposed to run ourselves in one sense of the word. In a republic the legislators are supposed to represent us, however they dont. In a democracy, we are for the people, by the people. We are supposed to vote in laws. Somewhere along the line we lost that. China is a republic. That should tell you something.
  • MercuryZero 2012/07/28 07:40:15
    MercuryZero
    +9

broken tablet
  • Yuki ~ ... Mercury... 2012/07/29 00:09:58
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    Wouldn't that be why a teacher has a spare print copy or two in the classroom?
  • Omni Mercury... 2012/07/29 05:46:36
    Omni
    +1
    Good point, bad analogy. You're not gonna break a tablet by dropping it.
  • Neonblu... Mercury... 2012/07/29 22:44:10
    Neonblue120
    +1
    And textbooks can be vandalized, torn, get wet etc.
  • keelan Mercury... 2012/08/03 13:25:50
    keelan
    +1
    and too they make so it doesnt last long so you can keep buying their products...this shows the greediness on a level beyond any scale...because they do make hardware upgrade after a certain time span
  • Don Leuty 2012/07/28 07:29:24
    Don Leuty
    +1
    Batteries need not be included or charged.
  • Legit_Lard_Ass 2012/07/28 06:47:25
    Legit_Lard_Ass
    +5
    Why should the world have to rely on the internet or some program for work? And why should students be required to own a tablet or some other device that costs way to much and then you still have to buy the book? Hell no I say, just buy the book.
  • james.b... Legit_L... 2012/07/28 08:15:33
    james.bowman.146
    +4
    It's actually cheaper to supply iPads than books to all the kids. Even after you factor in them breaking. Keep in mind each textbook costs anywhere between $80-$200. Plus, an iPad can be reformatted for different books next year.Each student can "highlight" the books without them getting damaged. There are a lot of benefits. However, for now, I'd say stick with the books.
  • Patti ... james.b... 2012/07/28 13:32:30
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +2
    I pads are far more expensive.

cost of an ipad
  • james.b... Patti ... 2012/07/28 17:13:08
    james.bowman.146
    +2
    Not in the long run. Six classes. Each has an average of $100 a book. $600 a year. Then realize they could the same iPad next year and the year after etc. After just high school, they save $2000. Also keep in mind that Apple would give a bulk discount at the least. They would probably get them for less than $200 each.
  • Patti ... james.b... 2012/07/29 17:50:16
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +1
    I work in education and we have NOT had one raise in five years. Yet it was ok to purchase transponders to make kids more lazy? Whats wrong with pencils? They already have apple computers. Thats enough.
  • james.b... Patti ... 2012/07/30 00:27:48
    james.bowman.146
    +1
    Unions are the reason you aren't getting raises. It's against your contract to "discriminate on performance." Good teachers get screwed so the terrible ones can keep their job.
  • Patti ... james.b... 2012/07/30 23:19:12
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    +1
    Im a teacher of sorts, along with administration work, but get far from teacher pay. I am hourly. With a bachelors but no hires so....stuck in this position for now. Well a judge voted in our favor on bargaining rights down here but our governor wont accept stimulus. But he will use our tax dollars to add his name to the Welcome to Florida signs. Or appeal decisions made against him. With our money. And I have seen teachers go out the door who were poor teachers. Just letting ya know on that one. I would say on the most part thou, teachers are good. But there are those few.
  • james.b... Patti ... 2012/08/01 07:35:44
    james.bowman.146
    +1
    Try the inner-cities. The teachers are horrible. I've seen teachers come to work drunk and still not get fired.
  • Patti ... james.b... 2012/08/01 14:01:24
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    I dont know where that happens but it surely does not happen here. We had one coming to work drunk and they were gone that fast. I had one teacher in college who never taught a thing. He just loved to tell stories of his life. It did nothing for the students. So there are those few who should NOT teach. They do back ground cks, they fingerprint, Im not sure what else they can do to screen these ppl. I watched a few go out the door thou. she would throw things at students and cuss them. The very strangest part of that is they loved her. The kids I mean. They were mad when she got fired. Strange. They love me to but i treat them like their human and not just some student. I actually teach them and try to help them to pass. they love when you give them the attention they need and deserve to pass. Not all kids are average. Some need more help than others.
  • james.b... Patti ... 2012/08/02 17:54:32
    james.bowman.146
    +1
    So what is the incentive of tenure for K12 teachers?
  • Patti ... james.b... 2012/08/03 13:07:08
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    There really is NONE these days. No incentive just constant criticism due to one bad apple if you get my drift...
  • james.b... Patti ... 2012/08/03 18:02:11
    james.bowman.146
    +1
    I know what you mean. I'd just like to see the bad teachers fired and the good teachers get raises. I mean, there are pedophiles who cant be fired in New York. Instead, because they aren't allowed near the school, they get promoted to a 6 digit pay scale and play cards 7 hours a day at the "Rubber Room." Teachers Rubber Room
  • Patti ... james.b... 2012/08/04 14:22:00
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    Im sure we can agree on the same for corrupt politicians. Its hard to figure these type ppl out thou. For example this guy who is a serious church goer, has just been exposed. The church he attended is shocked.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs...
  • james.b... Patti ... 2012/08/04 18:42:19
    james.bowman.146
    +1
    Doesn't surprise me that he was a big church goer. That is really twisted though.
  • Patti ... james.b... 2012/08/05 16:34:06
    Patti  The Yes Fan
    Isnt it? But my point is, how to detect these ppl? How do you know what their doing behind closed doors or in private? We dont. So its hard to weed out the bad from good in a lot of cases. I have yet to find a solution. Background checks dont reveal hidden creepy fantasies like this guy had. See what Im saying?

2014/08/29 05:42:10