Should Print Textbooks Be Replaced by eBooks on Tablets?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• MercuryZero 2012/07/28 07:40:15
    No, printed books are more appropriate for students.
    MercuryZero
    +9
    Technology may be more advanced but they aren't guaranteed to work all the time. You drop a textbook, no big deal. You drop a tablet...well you get the picture.

broken tablet

• aqeela 2013/02/22 15:57:41
    aqeela
    i prefer textbooks....my laptop jst stop working and i cannnnn't woork NOW....wtheck ..we need textbooks mmmman
  • WP 2013/02/09 20:21:15
    WP
    Absolutely not. Hitler would have loved this! Some unknown committee could hit “delete” on any book that opposes thier adjenda.
  • abdu 2012/11/05 10:44:12
    abdu
    I use both but I'm much satisfied with my old text books, however tablet pc gives me helps in some places.
  • Tomboy110 2012/10/10 18:09:42
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    Tomboy110
    Hell Yeah!!! Less books to CARRY!!! Did they ever think about the back that were damaged by those things!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • P. Sturm 2012/09/14 22:49:30
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    P. Sturm
    If, and only if, every child has a tablet with two spare batteries, the textbook pages will except annotation so the kids can add notes, and some provision is made for a long term power failure.
  • Miranda 2012/09/02 22:31:11
    Miranda
    Maybe when tablets become shatter proof. Also, it'd be much easier to get distracted using a tablet. With a textbook at least you're forced to stare at the content, but with tablets there are tons of other apps.
  • Maia 2012/08/22 23:08:13
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    Maia
    I think that we should still have workbooks but I think that we should have our textbooks online and we should have a tablet or NetBook for taking notes and to look up our textbooks. In Noblesville Indiana we are allowed phones in classrooms but some teachers don't like the policy so they have the right to say that they don't wont phones in their classroom, if you get caught texting in class you get in a lot of trouble. We are also allowed almost all electronic devices.
  • Dave 007 2012/08/12 14:16:30
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    Dave 007
    This eliminates replacing books every few years. Or using books that are 20 years old.
  • EricVanSingleton 2012/08/08 19:41:50
    EricVanSingleton
    I would love the idea of kids being able to take notes in their books and keep them. I also think that there should be a refundable fee paid for books that discourage kids from destroying books during the school year.
  • Tessa Carpenter 2012/08/08 01:06:23
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    Tessa Carpenter
    I believe it should kids can't ruin textbooks if it's on a tablet and we won't have to waste paper cause every 7 years the textbook must be thrown away and replaced with a more up to date version
  • B.W. 2012/08/07 04:23:30
    B.W.
    +1
    If there is homework, not everyone can afford to buy an e-book. ot have a comp. to download and e-book. NO NO NO
  • Jezebel 2012/08/03 17:00:01
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    Jezebel
    +2
    It could save money and room, kids wouldn't have to lug around 50 pounds worth of text books! That and it could keep students more organized and it would save on the cost of printing.
  • NAGA 2012/08/03 16:01:43
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    NAGA
    I THINK THAT TECHNOLOGY WILL FINALLY (HOPEFULLY) REPLACE 99% OF PAPER BOOKS! I WANT THAT TO HAPPEN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
  • Jezebel NAGA 2012/08/03 17:01:57
    Jezebel
    I don't think that all paper books should be replaced. I, for one, love being able to hold the actual book in my hand and be able to physically turn the pages. However, I don't get that same joy out of holding 10 pound text books.
  • Mordred Emrys Morgan 2012/08/03 11:38:53
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    Mordred Emrys Morgan
    It does save trees but there is nothing like holding a physical book and turning the page.
  • cnsharp 2012/08/02 15:09:29
    cnsharp
    +1
    It should be an option but they shouldn't completely replace them. I'm personally a fan of hand turning and bookmarking pages; and occasionally highlighting.
  • delo 2012/08/02 08:19:35
    delo
    It hurts my eyes to look at a brighted screen all day I would rather have something that is just printed
  • paulette.s.ramirez 2012/08/02 04:41:17
    paulette.s.ramirez
    +1
    If we change out books for technology then we're just getting straight out lazy. There's no other emporering experience like opening a book and reading it. Technology has to much control over education these days , what happend to teachers actualy teaching our kids? Now they just tell them to get out a laptop and read the lesson. No That behavior is unacceptable. I vote for text books, and handwritten test's. Thats how we began and thats how it should stay.
  • ladycassandra 2012/08/02 04:03:14
    ladycassandra
    +2
    Absolutely not! We are rearing an entire generation totally dependent upon technology. What if technology fails? There is something to be said for holding a book in your hand and turning the pages as you read it. There is a lot to be said for the more permanence of books vs an e reader or tablet. I lugged my books about and it did not kill me. Besides books are less likely to get stolen as opposed to electronic devices!
  • James 2012/07/31 21:28:04
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    James
    I can see some advantages (save a tree, have the most up-to-date info) but not everywhere.
  • Katte_bellaqva 2012/07/31 21:20:05
    Katte_bellaqva
    +1
    Noo!! Never in this world!, For no reason!! An ebook could never be better than a printed book, that´s why multimedia resources exist to help but not to have them instead...
  • Lana 2012/07/31 19:20:26
    Lana
    Kids today can't read now and they can't even write a letter. Books are the only way to go !
  • smurfmafia355 2012/07/31 19:07:56
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    smurfmafia355
    I like the idea of a tablet textbook, but I also like having a written textbook. I feel tablets containing textbooks are more of a personal preference and should be optional for each student depending on their personal preference and what they can afford.
  • Cici Jones 2012/07/31 17:54:37
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    Cici Jones
    it will be more easier to plus there will be less weight for students to carry over their back therefore they are better
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/07/31 11:44:47
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    Pinball Wizard
    +2
    Some students will come in with a lame excuse, "My battery ran down & won't hold a charge."
  • David 2012/07/31 08:42:32
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    David
    Why not...save some trees.
  • Kaola 2012/07/31 05:56:40
    Kaola
    WHAT ABOUT THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD COMPUTERS?
  • Ted Kaola 2012/07/31 17:42:05
    Ted
    can't?
  • Kaola Ted 2012/08/01 05:06:26
    Kaola
    sorry, those who can't afford computers
  • Teddy or magic 2012/07/31 04:58:59
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    Teddy or magic
    +1
    Yes that way you have more lesson to with a ebook
  • Thecharliejay 2012/07/31 04:29:28
    Thecharliejay
    +2
    No , textbooks are better and they don't hurt your eyes
  • Everett Thompson 2012/07/31 03:32:24
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    Everett Thompson
    +1
    It would be a lot better on student's backs, than the present backpacks loaded with books! I foresee a time where students will get tablets with the subjects pre-loaded on them, so they can be used to ONLY study with. On exam days, students could not bring them into the classroom, or there could be a signal to turn off that particular subject matter. But, it's coming, I think...
  • InoYamanaka 2012/07/31 03:22:25
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    InoYamanaka
    +1
    Less paper right? You know what would be even better?
    If teachers actually got to write their own curriculum instead of copying from a textbook? Why do Americans who are so "independent" have to follow so many things? office space
  • Scott C 2012/07/31 03:07:28
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    Scott C
    +1
    The written word is not as easily changed as the eword and therefore I believe there always needs to be a written hard copy somewhere for reference purposes. The right hacker could very easily rewrite history for instance and change some very important facts. Could you imagine if someone started teaching that there was never a Holocaust? That's sarcasm people, you need to recognize.
  • Asia Whitmore 2012/07/31 02:44:37
    Asia Whitmore
    +3
    God no. I cannot read a book unless it is printed. Sorry trees but I can't stare at a damn screen all day.
  • Quazimoto 2012/07/31 02:04:15
    Quazimoto
    +2
    We are already getting taxed to death. Who is going to pay for these devices?
  • nicesteve 2012/07/31 01:48:56 (edited)
    Maybe in some classrooms, but not all.
    nicesteve
    +1
    For the basic classes such as english grammer, mathematics, social science, and; to a lesser extent; science, and most business education courses, printed textbooks have seen their day. New technology is the only way to fly for these classes. When it comes to the trade classes, such as agriculture, industrial arts, homemaking, and also, humanities classes such as art, music, and acting, and maybe a few science classes, new technology will not quite fill the bill here. In such cases as these, it is still too complicated to subplant
    hard copy textbooks with the new technology at the present time. All of these classes
    mandate a certain type of hands on approach that frequently neccessatates a hard copy textbook. While modern technology can very effectively suppliment the use of hard copy
    textbooks, when it is applied judiciously, it can't very effectively replace them at the present
    time. Also PE and atheletics, both of which have always made, at best, only minimal use
    of printed textbooks will unlikely be able to benefit anymore than minimally from the new technology either.
  • Callaway 2012/07/31 01:48:07
    Callaway
    +2
    Gee what happens when the thing crashes or is ripped off then what you just go without textbooks for the semester? What of the students who can't swing the money for a tablet oh let me guess the Feds/state or city will just cough up the cash?
  • paulett... Callaway 2012/08/02 04:47:35
    paulette.s.ramirez
    +1
    Yes. We're already broke as it is and schools these days are just getting lazy. Kids need that real teaching experience instead of a screen.
  • science28 2012/07/31 01:10:30
    Yes, that's what technology is for!
    science28
    +1
    During my teaching career, textbook prices increased dramatically.( I can only imagine what they cost now.) But students had no respect for them, and they came back in terrible condition, if at all. I think school districts would save much needed $ if they could use ebooks, and they could probably get new editions every year. Students are used to digital technology, so they would have no trouble using them, and an e reader would be so much easier to carry than a huge book bag. Homework could be done online and submitted as soon as completed. I think it's a great idea.

2014/07/31 13:00:35