Should Pets Be Required to Wear a Seat Belt?

Hmm ... we've never really thought about this one before. Should owners have to buckle up their pets in the car, or face a hefty fine? In New Jersey, penalties for driving with an unrestrained pet range from $250 to $1,000 and as much as six months in jail, NorthJersey.com reports.

"That’s for each offense," Col. Frank Rizzo, police superintendent for the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, told reporters. "So, if you have more than one animal loose in your car, just do the math…"

The New Jersey statute defines unrestrained pets in cars as animal cruelty. Some pet owners use small cages, but most buy seats and harnesses that attach directly to existing seat belts, NorthJersey.com reports. However, a 2010 survey conducted by the American Automobile Association showed that 20 percent of those polled allow their dogs to sit on their laps while they drive. And nearly one-third of the respondents admitted that unrestrained pets are distracting.

“Some people tell us they like to let their pets hang their heads out the window to take in the fresh air," Rizzo said, "but dogs and cats become projectiles in a crash." Do you think people should be forced to buckle up their pets?

• glass_butterfly ~YSU~ 2012/06/11 21:28:33 (edited)
    glass_butterfly ~YSU~
    +19
    I tie my dog up in the passenger seat or the back seat cause she'll try and jump in my lap (this is no purse dog, this is a 65-70lbs adult black lab, who still thinks she's a puppy) She could obstruct my view! Very dangerous. And for the safety of the dog too, if in a car accident I'd hate to think of my poor girl to fly out the window and getting hurt worst! Pet lover

• HAlex1972 2012/06/13 03:55:41
    HAlex1972
    +3
    This is just another way for the local municipality to extract money out of the "commoners". I'm all for wearing your seatbelt, but I don't think we need the government to force us to. Its not our government's job to make sure we take care of ourselves.
  • Michelle 2012/06/13 02:56:06
    Michelle
    +1
    I agree with dogs wearing seat belts/restraints, etc but I would hope that the government would not have to mandate responsible behavior. Then again, we have laws requiring humans to wear seat belts and some still don't... You can't fix stupid, I suppose.
  • Mrs. Prince Royce 2012/06/13 01:42:31 (edited)
    Mrs. Prince Royce
    +1
    tHEY COULD GET INJURED!!!I Also think it's a law here in the usa, illinois
  • Splashstorm 2012/06/13 01:41:06
    Splashstorm
    +3
    They need to be safe just like us.
  • Edie 2012/06/13 01:23:40
    Edie
    +2
    My dogs always get buckled in their car seats before I put my seat belt on. That is because I care for these precious dogs that mean so much to me. Take care of those that you care about very simple.
  • Ozymandias 2012/06/13 01:14:00
  • Sodaz56 2012/06/13 01:11:32
    Sodaz56
    +2
    My dog loves jumping and running around,so he could easily distract us and cause a crash. He's small so we can easily get a travel crate, buckle 'em in and done! He doesn't even whine!
  • Joseph Mallery 2012/06/13 00:56:40
    Joseph Mallery
    Just put him in a secure crate.
  • Mark 2012/06/13 00:21:52
    Mark
    They should be in a secured crate, though. Well, if you want your pet to stand a chance of surviving a car crash, anyway.
  • Royo 2012/06/13 00:14:01
    Royo
    +2
    Despite my best efforts, I cannot find a seat belt that my dog can stay in. I usually just hold him in my lap with the seatbelt around him. But, I do plan on getting a seatbelt for him ASAP. They're the most important things in your lives, why endanger them?
  • Lovita Royo 2012/06/13 07:19:36
    Lovita
    +1
    I do that too! My niece has a 5-month old Chihuahua/Shepherd (17 lbs) and she uses this very humane harness for him. She purchased it from a store (Aiea, Hawaii) called Crazy Canine. This harness has an extra strap so you can put the seat belt through it.
    We need to buy three of them! (and they're not cheap!)
  • Jimmy 2012/06/13 00:09:39
    Jimmy
    +3
    I don't like the government telling me to wear my seat belt. My car, my life, my pet people should stop being nosy and worry about themselves.
  • Jackie Jimmy 2012/06/13 05:28:28
    Jackie
    I don't think we should treat a pet like property. Your pet is your responsibility, the same as a child.
  • Jimmy Jackie 2012/07/13 21:06:49
    Jimmy
    Saying this is my pet isn't the same as saying this is my property same saying this is my child isn't the same as saying this is my property so don't put words in my mouth and learn the English language. If someone abuses their child they should face consequences if someone abuses their pet they should face consequences but if I'm not inflicting harm to my child or pet it's my business and my business only.
  • Jackie Jimmy 2012/07/14 16:44:48
    Jackie
    Well, well, well, so I don't know the English language? You do when it's all about you; you made that perfectly clear up front, didn't you? YOUR car, YOUR life, YOUR pet. What a guy! You may know English, but you skipped punctuation classes. By the way, you put the words in your own mouth, so don't blame me for your selfish comments.
  • Jimmy Jackie 2012/07/17 13:50:38
    Jimmy
    First of all when it comes to the government you better believe it's MINE, MINE, MINE because if it isn't MINE, MINE, MINE, it's THEIRS, THEIRS, THEIRS and I'm not talking for myself I'm talking as an individual, you it comes to the government if you don't claim what's yours the government will claim it for themselves. Secondly I've seen very few things enjoy life more than my dog does will it's riding in a car and I'm supposed to strip that enjoyment away because of other people's opinion. Thirdly no has the right to tell someone else what to do because they don't agree with it personally I hate dog breeders I hate that people breed dogs when there are literally millions of homeless animals that need a family to save them I can't imagine what would have happened if I didn't save my dogs from the shelter, I hate them and disagree with them but if a law came across prohibiting them to do what they do I would vote against it but it’s their personally choice no matter how much I disagree with it. But as my dogs go I make it my business to make them happy because in return they make me happy. My main prerogative in life is to make my family happy, My family, My business. I hope it was selfish enough for you.
  • <3!Shezza!<3 2012/06/13 00:03:11
    <3!Shezza!<3
    +6
    that iis seriously stupid
  • Trish 2012/06/12 23:28:20
    Trish
    +2
    I don't care if he is "just a dog." He's my best buddy and him flying out the window or against my windshield in event of an accident is not an option.
  • sami 2012/06/12 23:10:56
    sami
    Boy that dog looks just like my Butler Bailey ... I never thought I would like little dogs until my daughter bought his Mom, she is 15 now ... I must admit I never kissed a dog until I had my first Yorkie ... Even though I said no, I will from now on buckle up my own dog ... I had not thought about it until now ... Butler is 11 and I sure would miss him if something happened to him ... I only go two miles up the road to the vet and 15 miles away to my son's house ... Once in awhile I go to Houston and I have to leave Butler with my son ... He is a cat person but I have done so much for him and he has to pay me back by watching Butler ... The other two dogs have mental issues so my son has to come to my house to feed them ... They can stay outside ... A big bird might swoop down and feed on Butler so he can only stay inside ... Even though I seldom take the dogs in the car, they will be buckled in from now on ... I just had not thought about it ... When I take the cats to the vet, I put them in a small pet crate ... Still not safe but at least it is only two miles up the road and it keeps them from distracting me as I drive ... My 18 year old dog died two weeks back; only a day after my Mom had died too ... Not a good weekend for us ... Anyway I had told my husband last January...
    Boy that dog looks just like my Butler Bailey ... I never thought I would like little dogs until my daughter bought his Mom, she is 15 now ... I must admit I never kissed a dog until I had my first Yorkie ... Even though I said no, I will from now on buckle up my own dog ... I had not thought about it until now ... Butler is 11 and I sure would miss him if something happened to him ... I only go two miles up the road to the vet and 15 miles away to my son's house ... Once in awhile I go to Houston and I have to leave Butler with my son ... He is a cat person but I have done so much for him and he has to pay me back by watching Butler ... The other two dogs have mental issues so my son has to come to my house to feed them ... They can stay outside ... A big bird might swoop down and feed on Butler so he can only stay inside ... Even though I seldom take the dogs in the car, they will be buckled in from now on ... I just had not thought about it ... When I take the cats to the vet, I put them in a small pet crate ... Still not safe but at least it is only two miles up the road and it keeps them from distracting me as I drive ... My 18 year old dog died two weeks back; only a day after my Mom had died too ... Not a good weekend for us ... Anyway I had told my husband last January that as soon as our two dogs died off we were not going to replace them because a new dog could outlive us ... Famous last words ... A week later someone from a Yorkie rescue talk us into taking a bigger Yorkie that is two years old ... My daughter promised that she would take him if something happens to my husband and I ... The dog has had so many homes that he has ISSUES ... Two weeks after that a small dog came up and it was one of those nights that the temp was going to be in the 20s so we brought him in ... I told my husband that as soon as I potty trained it we could find it a home ... Unfortunately my husband fell in love with it ... The vet; you know your in trouble when the vet knows you by first name; laughed and said you know Judy that this is only a puppy around 4 months old and it is going to be big ... No chip and no one claimed it, so now we have two more dogs ... I had only thought we were almost through with pets ...
  • xcide13 2012/06/12 22:26:16
    xcide13
    +3
    That's the stupidest thing i've heard this week. I don't think the government should have the right to force adults to buckle up...much less an animal. Just more BS for us to focus on instead of the true problems facing our nation.
  • Beltazar 2012/06/12 22:19:15
    Beltazar
    +3
    Oh please, Like I am going to buckle up my Great Dane.. How about if I go out and get an alligator or something like that..
  • Jackie Beltazar 2012/07/14 16:50:49
    Jackie
    I can only hope that you do go out and get an alligator, then we don't have to be subjected to your stupid comment. End of you; end of case. If you can't buckle in the animal you put in your car, then you shouldn't be putting it in your car. If you have a wreck, who is supposed to handle it then without being injured? Oh, that's right, I'm sure you'll say you don't care!
  • Sarah Alexander 2012/06/12 22:10:57
    Sarah Alexander
    +1
    Yes, my baby girl is seat-belted in (and she's a big dog) because I don't want her to get as hurt if we're in an accident.
  • ZeeOh6Nut 2012/06/12 21:49:37 (edited)
    ZeeOh6Nut
    +2
    I can see how a pet could be injured but I also can't imagine a pet tolerating being pinned down without yapping its head off. The dog in the picture is the exception to those dogs I know... Also, here in MI they recently made it a non-offense to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Now I have to wear a seatbelt if I'm driving my car so what is the rationale to that? I think pet restraint requirement is going too far and it's not the same as leaving your pet in a parked hot car so I don't call it abuse either.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/06/12 21:38:41
    Bibliophilic
    +2
    It's not my job to fix your stupidity.
  • wes 2012/06/12 20:55:01
    wes
    Not only are they just as prone to injury, they can also be the reason for it, running around loose......
  • TheTruth1313 2012/06/12 20:48:37
    TheTruth1313
    That's just silly.
  • Grandpa 2012/06/12 20:48:16 (edited)
    Grandpa
    +2
    What MORON dreamed this up ???? Like seat belts hold you in place and if you are T Boned you can't give with the impact so the injuries are more intense >> Those Who have nothing better to do should find work in the real world Guess that clown in new jersey has to much time on his hands or the state is looking to make more money off fines
  • kobidob... Grandpa 2012/06/12 21:41:21 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    You are right. The legal system feeds off of fear of this, and the possibility of that. The dog has a tail being uncomfortable to sit in a chair like we do anyway. We don't have one.
  • Grandpa kobidob... 2012/06/12 22:19:41
    Grandpa
    +1
    No it's just some offical with notting better to do than dream this CRAP up
  • kobidob... Grandpa 2012/06/13 00:27:25
    kobidobidog
    The USA is up to it's up to its you know what in legal made up words, and illness names too. .www.upcspine.com, do that instead. The sooner the better.
  • Josh Robinson 2012/06/12 20:43:28
    Josh Robinson
    +3
    People shouldn't even be Required to wear them... Nobody past childhood should be forced to into acting responsibly. That defeats the whole point of responsibility (understanding, acknowledgment and self-control) A saying I like pertains to this '' The rider with no helmet has nothing to protect''...lol
  • kobidob... Josh Ro... 2012/06/12 21:47:50
    kobidobidog
    +1
    The thing humans forget to protect is their soul. That is why there is war, and the idiotic legal system too.
  • Michelle 2012/06/12 20:35:59
    Michelle
    +2
    Yes, pets could become a danger-- I have a cat which likes lying on the dashboard. The key? We've trained it to stop jumping onto the dashboard! Yeah, some animals will want to climb all over the driver and obstruct their view, and larger ones could become projectiles in crashes.

BUT, the key here is the fact that the animal DOES NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON. Yeah, it can understand "Oh, car ride", but it doesn't understand the dangers and it cannot be taught the dangers. I think that making pets "wear a seat belt" should be at the discretion of the owner. Try tying a Rottie or Sheppard into a seat belt if you own a small car without a suitable trunk to keep their cage in. Some small cats and dogs can fit in carriers, but don't like them. It could be just as much a distraction for the driver if their dear pet is crying like it's being knifed in the backseat. And some just like to be able to move and readjust themselves-- try taking a ten-hour drive with a restrained animal. That's much more of a "cruelty to animals" than "protecting" them. They don't understand that it's dangerous or that you're 'denying them a safety' or anything, all they understand is that they haven't broken any rules and are suddenly in a cage/tied in a carseat/in a pet-carrier in the back of a car.

God, this sounds like PETA crap. I can't believe so many people said "yes" or that it's an actual law anywhere.
  • kobidob... Michelle 2012/06/12 21:50:58 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    PETA is like the beguiling serpent thats why.
  • May 2012/06/12 20:34:35
    May
    +1
    Owners choice. Everyone is turning into a control freak, especially the governments!
  • kobidob... May 2012/06/12 21:57:27 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    This is a continuing story of the control we are under. The very fact a human is attached being naked is being controlled by how others respond the that natural body. Or seeing any number of kinds of sex,but see a military weapon or a nuclear missile or, submarine in the navy, and humans feel good. WOW o.o humans are backwards being anti Christ in behavior.
  • Mike Hunt 2012/06/12 20:33:36
    Mike Hunt
    Only jerkoff politicians should be belted in so they can't take any bribes. Seat laws are nothing but the nanny state. How about should their be a law you can't have pizza, I mean is a garbage food. Everyone MYOB and we will be better off.
  • baby gurl 2012/06/12 20:17:40
    baby gurl
    yea i guess so or maybe just for dogs Because their really hyper, no one wants to gt in a car accident because there dog is jumping all on their lap and messing with their view
  • edifyguy 2012/06/12 20:07:24
    edifyguy
    +1
    And people shouldn't either. It's none of the government's business.

2014/11/23 22:34:06