Should people with severe mental illness have children?

Gwen 2008/08/05 19:32:37
Yes. Mental illness doesn't stop you from being a good parent.
No. Mental illness is a problem that will keep a person from being a good parent.
One of my dearest friends was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few years ago after having a series of break downs and a few suicide attempts. She was hospitalized for about a month and put on lithium. The lithium seems to have done the trick and she has been fine and functional for about 3 years. Last year she met and married “the man of her dreams.” The two of them seem very happy, but knowing her as well as I do I have my doubts. Now they are talking about having children. I don’t know what to say to her when she asks me what I think about it all. I am really worried about her ability to handle the stress of marriage and motherhood.

Thoughts?

• e.V.(♥Queen of Doom♥) 2008/08/09 03:46:27
    e.V.(♥Queen of Doom♥)
    +10
    1. the rate of mental illness in the North American population is between 1 in 5 to 1 in 4 people - between 20 to 25% of the entire population.

2. Mental illness is not a static state - it comes in what are called episodes. For a week or several months the person will be ill to varying degrees. Episodes may occur only twice in a persons life. There is much better treatment than there used to be, also usually these people are not single parents. Even if they are they have families who can help.

Also a person with a mental illness will not necessarily have children with the same illness. It's not a one to one inheritable thing.

In the case of schizophrenia it now seems there are environmental triggers that bring it on.

3. Many of the world's smartest and most talented people have depression, bipolar 1 and 2, and schizophrenia.

Are we willing to do without the likes of :

4. typically someone with a mental illness who wants kids is married to someone else who does NOT have such an illness and who also wants kids. The other parent can fill in when the ill parent is having an episode.

5. there is always adoption

• Zodiac_profiler 2012/08/08 18:26:03
    Zodiac_profiler
    I've had a Dx since 1999 and I've I ask this question to myself a lot. The only answer I can give is "yes." Normal people are at risk of being horrible parents, too. and, your only mentally ill until you have a DX. Until than, your just weird. Once you have a Dx. than your "crazy" "unfit" for anything. Most. Your treated as an outcast by everyone .
  • munazza 2012/06/28 12:22:26
    munazza
    No! I will say no too because I have seen a couple, both of them had mental illness. They could not move their necks and shoulders. They also had their child with them; child was crying a lot, they were trying hard to make him quiet, but hardly one of them put hand on the child to make him quiet. I was feeling their pain, I start crying when I leave them because I could not do any thing for them.

I will say depend on the illness they have got.
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/09/10 06:44:13
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    If it's controlled yes.
    If it's not then prpbably not. But that's up to them. Big Brother should not sterilize all mentally ill people.
  • Riobhca 2011/09/09 22:26:06
    Riobhca
    I know some with mental illness that make much better parents than some who are not diagnosed with it. Of course there may be some cases where it would be better not to be a parent, but the individual should decide that, not the state.
  • out damned spot 2011/09/09 22:22:57 (edited)
  • DENISSE 2011/09/09 22:07:13
    No. Mental illness is a problem that will keep a person from being a good par...
    DENISSE
    I THINK MENTAL ILLNESS WOULD NOT HELP YOU BE A GOOD PARENT .
  • Alex DENISSE 2011/09/22 03:31:54
    Alex
    +1
    Please get educated before you make a statement like that.
  • DENISSE Alex 2011/09/23 18:50:20
    DENISSE
    OK . THANKS FOR YOUR HELP...
  • Justin.Long 2011/09/09 21:30:37
    Justin.Long
    that are mentally stable people that are terrible parents so I see no problem with people who are bi-polar to have them yes watch them like a hawk to make sure they are keeping up with thier regiment but other then that I see no problem with it
  • Godsbestimage 2010/02/28 18:44:08
    Godsbestimage
    +2
    I do belileve Mentall Illness can prevent a parent from being a good parent but I think it depends on the level of Mental Illness. Raising children can be stressful to anyone. Some Mentall Illness people can take care of children and some Mentall Illness people can/t. I'm in a situation right now. She is Mental Retarted and sometimes her decisions that she makes are not safe for the children and she doesn't want to listen. She was told many times what to do but she choses to do it her way even if its wrong.
  • mrjhyjkr 2010/02/21 11:29:31
    mrjhyjkr
    +1
    Absolutely not! I am mentally slow myself, and wish I’ve never been born!
    Listen to me and learn from someone who has to live in a world that doesn’t understand, and the few who do, only pity us, and think they have the dam almighty answer that think that will make us feel good.
    Who ever says school was the best years of there life, was probably the bully and hatefully intimidating teachers that thought picking on people like us was a joke, and they go on with no regrets and end up living wonderful rich fulfilling lives, and not thinking once of us who they stepped on to get to where there at!

Warning, be prepared for a life of irreversible challenges, financial debt, anger, depression, federal assistance embarrassment.
    One can quote “disable are able” or loooove! The few (if any) that even made it, had a very wealthy upbringing, background, or they were “grandfathered” in.

Oh, I suppose some snotty nose college graduate scholar can say “I work hard to get to were I am” yea right! So what pal, your just one of many gifted not to have a mental problem, so just go on your selfish luxury happy go lucky life and not give a dam bout the people who worked below you to help get to were your at!

Though I only make less that $1,000 a month on disability, (doesn’t give much ot...

Though I only make less that $1,000 a month on disability, (doesn’t give much other federal help unless I make less or a senior citizen), and I speak of others like me that could live well and work productive, and productively in a wealthy persons world, but a wealthy, (mummy and daddy gave me everything I want) world person, would NOT last 5 seconds in my world!

Though I’m just over 50, never been married (don’t care to be) and one relationship,
    (until she was killed by a drunk driver, thanks, you moron!)
    She was the only woman who ever understood my challenges, (and pretty I may add).
    No one else since then seems to care.

Anyway, don’t have children, let alone children (and normal children) are nothing more than screaming, loud mouth, trouble makin, heven brats, and there notorious for
    pre-judging adults with mental challenges, and getting them in trouble.

Basically, children should be ignored, WC Fields was right when he quoted, “go away kid, you bother me!”
    Those are my view, sincerely,
    Sour Bitter.
  • Alex mrjhyjkr 2011/09/22 03:34:03
    Alex
    +4
    Mental Illness and being mentally "slow" are two different things.
  • 아만다 ♥ AMANDA 2009/05/18 18:49:30
    아만다 ♥ AMANDA
    I think that if you aren't mentally able to take care of your own responsibilities and yourself then how are you mentally able to take on the responsibilities of another life.

Depending on the type of mental illness and how bad it may or may not be.
  • Alex 아만다 ♥ A... 2011/09/22 03:35:23
    Alex
    +3
    Because its treatable and people can remain stable for many years...and certain types of mental illness does not define who you are as a person.
  • 아만다 ♥ A... Alex 2011/09/26 17:55:22
    아만다 ♥ AMANDA
    Actually. When people have mental illnesses it is a big part of their life. I know.
    My Dad takes care of people who are mentally disabled.
    Some of these people can't even take care of themselves let alone another person.
    So why put a little child's life at stake for that??
  • 아만다 ♥ A... Alex 2011/09/26 17:56:30
    아만다 ♥ AMANDA
    Ohhh and not all mental illnesses are treatable and not all people can remain stable.
    Which is why I said "Depending on the type of mental illness and how bad it may or may not be."
  • MindReader 2009/05/18 13:10:14
    MindReader
    sterilize 'em if their IQ falls below 70.
  • Alex MindReader 2011/09/22 03:35:51
    Alex
    +2
    Is that supposed to be a joke? or are u just rude?
  • gypsy_Rose 2008/12/06 16:40:34
    gypsy_Rose
    +2
    I have seen parents so mentaly ill they could not work yet made GREAT parents and i have seen "normal" people that beat the ever living daylights out of their kids. It all depends on the person.
  • icymore 2008/09/17 06:53:49
    icymore
    My concern isn't that having a mental illness means you're not fit to be a parent. What concerns me is the disease being passed on to the offspring.
  • Steve 2008/09/14 14:28:22
  • max 2008/08/28 18:47:16
    max
    idk there r diff. ppl out there
  • nltsierra 2008/08/17 16:41:07
    nltsierra
    +1
    I work in a mental health office, and I honestly think it depends on the person. We have many, many children that come to the office and their parents also need help but are not getting it. Many people who don't have a mental health issue are not fit to be parents either. I don't believe that there is an easy answer to this one. Recently 2 of our patients had a baby, and I have serious doubts about this child's future well being. I don't think you are in a position to tell her you think it's a bad idea, but maybe you can make sure she continues to seek help and counseling for the specific stresses that having a child will add to her life.
  • ElectricLadybug*SH07* 2008/08/17 08:18:26
    ElectricLadybug*SH07*
    +2
    I cant generalize all people with "mental illness" into one category! I think whether a person/persons are able to have children is on a case by case basis! I know some people with "mental illness" that are more fit to be parents than some people that are "normal"....
  • atmer 2008/08/15 17:00:03
    atmer
    Because the Republicans need all the help they can find!
  • Gwen atmer 2008/08/16 04:12:06
    Gwen
    +1
    If you want to talk politics there are plenty of political polls to discuss your views on all things political. As much as I agree that the Republican Party has some views that seem like some type of psychosis, your response has no bearing on the topic of this poll.
  • Ron 2008/08/15 04:43:38
    Ron
    +2
    The key word is "severe". By definition, severe mental illness will affect your capacity to be a parent. Second point, we don't need more people on this planet! Third point, if they cannot parent adequately, won't the children become dependents on society...costs...consequence... are enormous down sides and few upsides. In Europe, being a parent is taken far more seriously - many countries require future parents to go through educational classes. This requires mental competency.
  • out dam... Ron 2011/09/09 22:26:54
  • texana2008 2008/08/14 23:52:01
    texana2008
    +1
    It depends on the illness and how it's being treated. But honestly, people who have a mental illness should be at least monitored. There are so many bad things happening to kids these days.
  • out dam... texana2008 2011/09/09 22:27:57
  • Alex texana2008 2011/09/22 03:40:30
    Alex
    +2
    Bad things happen to kids because the mentally ill do not tell anyone about it , don't seek help so everyone thinks they are "normal" they probably do have a problem but got no help!!!!
  • barkbark-247 2008/08/14 18:38:54
    barkbark-247
    +1
    Depends on the severity I suppose....
  • Carlos 2008/08/14 03:28:28
    Carlos
    +1
    It depends...... have you seen the movie "i am sam"????

then again.... have you heard the many cases where the crazy mom kills her kids????
  • Elizabeth Carlos 2009/02/20 22:21:07
    Elizabeth
    Um, in I Am Sam he has mental retardation, not a mental illness. There's a difference. Also, "many cases" is a bit of an exaggeration I would say. And not all of those cases involve mental illnesses.
    I know this was months ago, but I needed to make this clear.
  • Carlos Elizabeth 2009/03/05 04:28:51
    Carlos
    if you kill your children you do have a mental illness.
  • Elizabeth Carlos 2009/03/07 03:59:04
    Elizabeth
    +2
    Not necessarily, some people are just evil. And even if a person has a mental illness and kills their children, that isn't always the fault of the illness. I hate it when I watch the news and they always say [insert name here] who kidnapped/murdered/stole from [insert victims name here], was/is schizophrenic.

That may have nothing to do with the incident, but it does make those of us with mental illnesses look like we're all psychopathic murderers, when it really is not the case.
  • out dam... Carlos 2011/09/09 22:28:42
  • Roxie 2008/08/14 03:03:40
    Roxie
    Yes!
  • Scorpio 2008/08/14 02:49:55
    Scorpio
    Ok, I would prefer just a nice solid "NO", because the statement after it is not true. You may be a bad parent anyway, but the main problem there is the spreading of the illness. Like Schitzofrenia (I can't spell), I know a parent that had it, and now they have 2 kids with it, and they got taken away from her.
  • Laura C... Scorpio 2011/10/19 17:03:53
    Laura Clingan
    +1
    Normally if you are born a carrier of the mental disorder it should only come out if there are situations or experiences that trigger it. I am mental ill myself and no one better than myself will understand if my children goes through it but im hoping they will have no ordeal to trigger off such a traumatic illness and time.

2014/07/24 23:03:00