Should people with mental illnesses which can be passed on to offspring, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, bear offspring?

icymore 2008/11/12 06:47:07
I think it is perfectly fine for such people to reproduce, and I'll tell you why
I believe it is best for people with such mental illnesses not to reproduce, and I'll tell you why
I don't think anyone should reproduce
Everyone should reproduce.  The world does not have enough people in it
I AM NOT ASKING ABOUT EUGENICS. I AM NOT SAYING THAT WE SHOULD KEEP PEOPLE FROM REPRODUCING OR ASKING YOU IF YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE ALLOWED. I AM ASKING IF YOU BELIEVE IT IS ETHICAL FOR THESE PEOPLE TO HAVE CHILDREN. Please read the whole thing before you compare me to Hitler and make yourself look ignorant and hateful. Thank you.

• Körïnthïän 2008/11/12 06:54:31
    Körïnthïän
    +8
    This is a very hard question. I believe that everyone should be allowed the right to reproduce, but at the same time I realize that if certain people did reproduce it would lead to suffering for the child in the future.

But yeah, whether it is ethical or not... I don't know the statistics, but I believe that as long as there is a chance that the child does not inherit the illness then it is okay in my book.

Good question!

• Körïnthïän icymore 2008/11/14 03:31:41
    Körïnthïän
    +1
    But why are you for eugenics?
  • arg1969 2008/11/12 21:08:43
    I believe it is best for people with such mental illnesses not to reproduce, ...
    arg1969
    +1
    I worked in a behavioral health clinic, and the percentage of people who get better is very very low. In my opinion, I think it is important for parents to consider the immense responsibility of having a child. I don't think I should oppose it because we all have different views, which I do respect but as having helped treat people with this mental disorder I would not encourage them to consider the possibility for these reasons:
    Schizophrenia affects both men and women. It is often first seen in men in late adolescence and early adulthood. It is mostly first seen in women between ages 25 and 35.

Research shows the following:
    Chemicals in the brain and differences in brain structure may contribute to a person getting schizophrenia
    Schizophrenia can run in families. A child with one parent with schizophrenia is about 10 times more likely to get the disease than a child whose parents do not have the disease. However, people without a family history of schizophrenia can also have the disease. Symptoms of schizophrenia vary from person to person, and may include the following:
    Hallucination is experiencing things that are not there. Hearing voices that other people do not hear is the most common type. Hallucinations can also include feeling, tasting, or smelling things that are n...

Research shows the following:
    Hallucination is experiencing things that are not there. Hearing voices that other people do not hear is the most common type. Hallucinations can also include feeling, tasting, or smelling things that are not present
    Delusions are unusual, false beliefs that are held to be true, even when someone else explains the truth
    Disordered thinking happens when a person has difficulty “thinking straight.” Thoughts may come and go quickly. Or it may be hard to focus on one thought for very long
    Flat emotions occur when a person shows little emotion or speaks in a voice that sounds flat with little or no expression. A person may lose interest in life and withdraw from family, friends, and social events
    Understanding when symptoms return
    Even with treatment, a person with schizophrenia might still have setbacks. Because no one can tell how medicine will work, you and your loved ones should learn to recognize your symptoms in case they return.

In many cases, symptoms come back because the person has stopped taking the medicine as prescribed.
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2008/11/12 20:39:23
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    +3
    Like Scoop said, where do you draw the line. I'm extremely quirky, almost unbelievable to some people, but I am legally sane. I could imagine someone making up some sort of mental disorder to describe me but I'm not disabled or dangerous at all.
  • Jaguarior ₪ Gott ist hässli... 2008/11/12 20:38:29
    I don't think anyone should reproduce
    Jaguarior ₪ Gott ist hässlich. ₪
    +2
    It's not like we're going to run out of humans, you know.

It would be nice if the more defective ones would refrain. I did.

However. A Big Brother enforced Code 46 seems a bit disturbing, don't you think? At least until we have reliable technology to support it.

Or, maybe not. It's a conundrum.

refrain brother enforced code 46 disturbing reliable technology support conundrum
  • Rudy ru... Jaguari... 2008/11/12 20:42:06
    Rudy rules~Hendrix we trust\m/
    +3
    Think of how hot a Code 46 would make things. ALL sex is taboo. Oh man.
  • Jaguari... Rudy ru... 2008/11/12 20:50:43
    Jaguarior ₪ Gott ist hässlich. ₪
    +1
    I thought it was just a genetic screening.
  • Rudy ru... Jaguari... 2008/11/12 20:57:48
    Rudy rules~Hendrix we trust\m/
    +2
    What I seek is a different "Code 46" authoritarian law that bans sex with anybody.
  • Jaguari... Rudy ru... 2008/11/12 21:03:06
    Jaguarior ₪ Gott ist hässlich. ₪
    +1
    Heheh. Good luck with that one.

Abstinence. Way to make people f_ck like monkeys, right? :^)
  • tibetsun 2008/11/12 20:28:51
    tibetsun
    +2
    As long as they are under a doctor's supervision, and are taking their medications. I've know too many who refuse to admit they have a problem, don't have control, and try to raise families. There's also an incidence of drug and alchohol abuse, with some of these condtions. I'd have qualifications, before making that decision.
  • bigeasy628 2008/11/12 20:22:15
    bigeasy628
    they should not be allowed to breed
  • Rudy rules~Hendrix we trust\m/ 2008/11/12 20:13:08
    Rudy rules~Hendrix we trust\m/
    +3
    I'm more concerned about how a child could be safe with a mother with a severe bipolar disorder or schizophrenia than the genetic part of it. Then again, it's a slippery slope there...I'm gonna say undecided.
  • icymore Rudy ru... 2008/11/12 20:25:20
    icymore
    +3
    what about fathers with such illnesses?
  • Rudy ru... icymore 2008/11/12 20:41:19
    Rudy rules~Hendrix we trust\m/
    +1
    Well when I was talking about the safety of the child I was referring to the safety while the mother is pregnant with the child. But I suppose fathers with such severe illnesses have a basically equal chance of causing harm to the child.
  • realistic one 2008/11/12 20:08:00
    realistic one
    +1
    This is not a hard question except for the self righteous people who think they can decide that another person's lack of quality of life or the fact the person will be tormented for life and only minimally sustained by medication is no big deal. It's easy for the do gooders. It's also not right for the people who have serious illnesses which will be passed on to their kids and leave them with perpetual 24/7 care and them experience nothing about life and it's happiness.
    That's what I think. If pople would accept reality and not attach some kind of "know what's best for others attitude" of these things we would all be better off.
    Selfishness is doing something you know is prolonging the life of someone hopelessly in pain and a vegetable or allowing a birth to someone who will be a vegetable and not even have the minimum of being able to pursue anything in life.
  • Lanikai 2008/11/12 20:05:44
    +1
    Well, this is a sort of loaded question. But, I do have a theory, sort of, based on personal observation of the many varieties of people in my shop over the last 11 years.

Mentally ill and sticking with a treatment plan, okay with monitoring. Mentally ill and no treatment plan or refusal to stay on a treatment plan, sterilization. If a mentally ill person wants to harm themselves fine, but not an innocent child-look at Casey Anthony.

I have some serious feelings on deaf, blind and mentally retarded. I have two deaf customers married to each other, they have twins. Neither can hear the twins, neither watch the twins when they are here, of in the car, or in the mall. The kids just have to keep up or the parents go back and find them. They have a state paid for minder that comes and checks their home every other day, and a public health nurse who comes every three days to check on the kids overall environmental health. Same for blind married to blind. I have a mentally retarded step brother, he is mid to severe and his girlfriend is mid to severe, they wanted to have a child but her parents said no way and had her sterilized. The main reason was neither of them can count bus fare each day, in order for them to have a child, they would have to move out f a group home setting, in...

""

I have some serious feelings on deaf, blind and mentally retarded. I have two deaf customers married to each other, they have twins. Neither can hear the twins, neither watch the twins when they are here, of in the car, or in the mall. The kids just have to keep up or the parents go back and find them. They have a state paid for minder that comes and checks their home every other day, and a public health nurse who comes every three days to check on the kids overall environmental health. Same for blind married to blind. I have a mentally retarded step brother, he is mid to severe and his girlfriend is mid to severe, they wanted to have a child but her parents said no way and had her sterilized. The main reason was neither of them can count bus fare each day, in order for them to have a child, they would have to move out f a group home setting, into a private residence, have a 24/7 minder, and a 24/7 nurse. All of this at taxpayer expense and they could not keep a kitten alive at a group home.

So, there are expense and situational ethics considerations. How mentally ill, how able to function without 24/7 supervision and what is the downside for the child growing up "normal" in any of these situations?

These would be my concerns, I am never for signing up the taxpayers as a whole to pay for the privilege of someone else having a baby if they are not capable, in the normal sense, of taking care of that baby.

JUST MY Opinion, but this has been a serious failure here locally with injuries, accidents and misplaced kids (they forgot where they left the twins once). BUT it is up to the individual I think in most states.
  • Tewenu Lanikai 2008/11/12 21:44:25
    Tewenu
    Where do you stop once that law goes into effect? The fact is it wouldn't stop. The Master Race would become a reality eventually. Genetic research, recombiant dna research have made it possible to 'hybrid' humans. This is wrong. Evil.

So if you begin with one group you set presidence and it roll's to the next then to the next until there is no one left that can have children without the state sactioning it, you don't want that. At least I don't want that.

Yes there are some dreadful things in the world, however, taking away choice is not the answer. Just ask women that have abortions.
  • TheRevo 2008/11/12 19:34:31 (edited)
    TheRevo
    +3
    Insanity is underrated. Asperger's, bipolar disorder, and ADD come to mind. Many people with these conditions consider them a vital part of their personality if not downright beneficial. To say that passing on an integral part of one's personality to the next generation is wrong is misguided. There are serious mental illnesses that warrant adoption rather than reproduction, but I wouldn't categorically say it's wrong to pass on personality disorders.
  • BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust" 2008/11/12 19:23:53
    BH1701 "In Kirk We Trust"
    +3
    Who is qualified to be the judge in a case like this? The people with the illness certainly have some clue what they may be passing on. Also, treatments are widely available and effedtive for almost all mental illnesses now.
  • NICKI70 2008/11/12 19:05:30
    NICKI70
    +3
    If their illness is under control why not...We all have crosses to bear in life and not everyone is born with mental illness.Its a product of our environment some times
  • icymore NICKI70 2008/11/12 19:20:47 (edited)
    icymore
    +4
    That's a good point; many people have these illnesses under control and live normal, productive lives. I'm still concerned about it being passed on o the offspring, though. They may not be able to manage it, you know. That's what concerns me.
  • NICKI70 icymore 2008/11/12 19:26:58
    NICKI70
    +1
    that is some thing you will have decided when the time id right..It takes a lot of maturity to put a child first and not just think of your own needs..That tells me you would be an amazing mom.
  • runningintriangles 2008/11/12 18:57:17 (edited)
    runningintriangles
    +4
    ...because if a guy struggling with depression hadn't had kids, I wouldn't be typing this. Nor would I have the wonderful brother and sister that I have.
  • SuperCee 2008/11/12 18:40:18
    SuperCee
    +1
    I know someone who is bipolar and she wasn't born that way. She developed it from years of mental and physical abuse. She also has children and they aren't bipolar so I think it is safe for them to have children.
  • rushforpres 2008/11/12 18:40:08
    rushforpres
    +1
    You can steer people in a direction that can help them cope with such deseases and sometimes help in ways that medicine can't do.
  • CitiXen - 2008/11/12 18:31:14
    CitiXen -
    +3
    Just because a person suffers from mental illness does not mean that the child will as well. What I have read in the DSM states that it is correlational at best.

Besides, the person with BP or Schizophrenia cannot control what is happening to them.
  • Undead Little Red 2008/11/12 18:26:22
    Undead Little Red
    +3
    well everyone has the right to reproduce, my father was diginosed with schizophrenia long before i was born and while it did show up in one of my brothers its controled and manged. So long as those with mental illnesses stay on their meds i see no harm in letting them have children with the rest of us
  • Miki 2008/11/12 18:15:06
    Miki
    +2
    I know people who have parents with these disorders and they don't have them. It's more of a case of genetics whether they actually inherit the disease. So yes, it is perfectly fine to me.
  • Jaybird 2008/11/12 17:59:41
    Jaybird
    +2
    Whether I agree or not, It is not up to me. People free of illness have offspring who suffer and people that are challenged or ill have offspring that do not. Let nature take it course.
  • BigwayneO 2008/11/12 17:36:32
    BigwayneO
    +2
    Hate to say it, But one thing the human race is good on is defying or grinding against curtain natural forces one such as gravity, the ability to bend energy to our will, etc.. and allowing them is defying natural selection, call me evil i guess, i mean i agree with KORs statement BUT If the doctor says there is a really good chance it will get passed on then... no i dont think it is a wise idea for them to keep it going.
  • icymore BigwayneO 2008/11/12 19:24:40
    icymore
    +6
    Something I've been thinking abou today is where the world would be without people with mental illnesses. Think of all the great art created by these creative minds. Mentall illness often makes for good art. But at the same time, it's not fair to the person.
  • BigwayneO icymore 2008/11/12 19:33:16
    BigwayneO
    +3
    I know, this is a hard one for me to kinda talk about, I work in a mall where all the places in our city bring there people to have something to do. My question is, if we as a people where to loose all mortality how far in science and genetics could we go? Who knows.... Same with Not letting them reproduce....Like i said though, for the most part i agree with Kors statement, if there is a chance of the child not being born with the illness they should be allowed to
  • TheRevo icymore 2008/11/12 19:46:12
    TheRevo
    +3
    Exactly, Thomas Jefferson likely had ADD, and Isaac Newton probably had Asperger's. Having a personality that is not "normal" is not a bad thing.
  • Ahlana 2008/11/12 17:24:35
    Ahlana
    +4
    Schizophrenia has ties to heredity, but it isn't a straight genetic link. It's a combination of genetic predisposition and environmental exposure to stress. Most children of people with schizophrenia never have schizophrenia. Everyone in the world has a genetic predisposition for some sort of disorder (cancer, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, bipolar, Huntington's, depression, etc) so if we all stopped reproducing because of all the things that *might* happen to our offspring, nobody would be having babies.
  • Kerry 2008/11/12 17:17:28
    Kerry
    +3
    They have the right just as much as anyone else has. Its a personal choice. There are people with nothing wrong with them that should not be having kids, but do you stop them. No.
  • Unfulfilled 2008/11/12 16:39:29
    Unfulfilled
    +3
    I'm quite certain the genes involved will be breeded out without any help from us. If they aren't helpful to our survival, that is. Have we really determined that these certain mental conditions are inherently against our survival?
  • Körïnthïän Unfulfi... 2008/11/12 18:59:09
    Körïnthïän
    +2
    I'm not sure human evolution works like that anymore.
  • Unfulfi... Körïnthïän 2008/11/12 19:20:35
    Unfulfilled
    +3
    Aha! So you do believe in non-genetic evolution. Hmm.
  • Körïnthïän Unfulfi... 2008/11/12 19:23:02
    Körïnthïän
    +2
    I just don't think the survival-procreation connection is as big a factor among humans as it is among other species, especially not in the western world.
  • Unfulfi... Körïnthïän 2008/11/12 19:42:25
    Unfulfilled
    +3
    True. For humans in developed societies, adaptations to their environment involve their genes, less and less. Survival is thus not entirely based on genetics. There are social programs, medications and other ways to overcome genetic short-comings.
  • Mike (the original sodahead... 2008/11/12 16:11:53
    Mike (the original sodahead 'Mike')
    Have a little responsibility and stop making more defective people.

2014/10/24 11:23:42