Should people rely on abortion as their method of birth control?

jt 2012/11/22 13:32:20

• darlenedoskas1969 2012/11/22 16:15:46 (edited)
    darlenedoskas1969
    +7
    very very few women use abortion "instead of" birth control...

surely you are aware that no birth control is considered 100% effective...

chemical birth control is subject to failure based on hormonal changes, or certain other medications taken at the same time.... doctors fail to properly warn patients, or the patient simply doesn't listen

barrier methods are often not used properly, if at all... many men refuse to use them, who will then insist on abortion, when confronted with an unplanned pregnancy...

people aren't perfect, and sometimes a pill is missed... accidents happen...

but the biggest reason for unplanned pregnancy is lack of education

when people don't understand the biology of their own species, they are unable to make healthy choices for themselves, and their potential offspring.

BOTH sexes require this education.

but I suspect that your reason for asking this question in the first place is that you are anti-choice and wish to see abortion outlawed again.

making abortion illegal again will not stop women from having abortions

making abortion illegal again will only stop women from having SAFE abortions

making abortion illegal again will mean more women will die from complications of pregnancy

making abortion illegal again will mean more orphaned and abandoned children due t...

BOTH sexes require this education.

making abortion illegal again will mean more orphaned and abandoned children due to women dying from complications of pregnancy

making abortion illegal again will mean more women and children living below the poverty line

making abortion illegal again will mean more alcohol-damaged and drug-addicted babies in foster care, or un-adoptable in orphanages

stop trying to make your morals into laws that affect people who don't share them

• Donald Eric Kesler 2012/11/26 17:59:20
    Donald Eric Kesler
    Who is actually using abortion as a form of birth control? This whole survey is structured around a straw man.
  • Jim 2012/11/26 16:00:18
    No never
    Jim
    No but it happens. I know a woman who has had 3 abortions in her short 30 something years on this planet and each one was treated as basically like some kind of morning after treatment or pill. But for every woman that views an abortion like that there are at least 10 fold who do not. Arguably most women who elect to have an abortion live to regret their decision at one time or another in their lives.
  • Ashley 2012/11/26 14:17:09
    No never
    Ashley
    Never, never, never..
  • gaylehelen 2012/11/26 01:05:22
    No never
    gaylehelen
    "No never" is perfectly stated.
  • Magniloquence 2012/11/25 18:39:47
    No never
    Magniloquence
    But, then, how many people do what they should do any more?
  • Cat 1017 2012/11/24 16:39:49
    No never
    Cat 1017
    I don't believe abortions are used as birth control, ever...Its too harsh on the body of the woman...Very few people resort to it for that purpose...
  • mikeo 2012/11/24 01:30:52
    No never
    mikeo
    +1
    Abortion should not be relyed on as birth control. Other methods should be relyed on first. I'm not saying a woman should not have an abortion under any circumstance, but to use other means first.
  • Quazimoto 2012/11/23 23:15:28
    No never
    Quazimoto
    Being adopted myself I think abortion should never be an option.
  • Terry 2012/11/23 21:46:22
    No never
    Terry
    They are taking a life and killing an infant. No!!!!
  • SIMPATTYCO 2012/11/23 21:23:14
    SIMPATTYCO
    +2
    PRETTY EXPENSIVE METHOD!!! Of course not...That should be a last resort ...
  • Mary Mary 2012/11/23 12:10:46
    No never
    Mary Mary
    I'd like go know any woman that could do that.
  • Andy Fletcher 2012/11/23 06:25:09 (edited)
    Andy Fletcher
    +4
    I believe the question is intended to be inflammatory, but that does not invalidate it. Two key words to it...Should and rely. And any truly compassionate person will answer "No, people should never rely on abortion as a method of birth control".

A few things I MUST say now...I am staunchly pro-choice. It is not for me to FORCE by power of government, whatever my morals may be, on to you. I have no desire to control your body or your mind. I DO however,expect you to exercise personal responsibility in all aspects of your life. I can't FORCE you to, but I CAN and WILL expect you to, just as I do for my own life. You can dislike what I have said so far, I don't give a fig if you do or don't. What you are NOT allowed to do is take my words and say there is anymore to them than what is right here on the screen. If we are going to discuss this, if you must weigh in, be honest about it. That's all I ask.

For those who have said " I don't THINK anybody does this, well maybe a few...etc", I have a few questions/something I would like to point out. Have any of you who say this, or things similar to it, ever actually looked up the statistics on the effectiveness of various methods of birth control? I have, and the results just don't support that line of thought. Of course abstinence is 10...

For those who have said " I don't THINK anybody does this, well maybe a few...etc", I have a few questions/something I would like to point out. Have any of you who say this, or things similar to it, ever actually looked up the statistics on the effectiveness of various methods of birth control? I have, and the results just don't support that line of thought. Of course abstinence is 100% effective, the only method that is. Zero percent failure rate provided you don't buy into the notion of immaculate conception. Then there are a very few extremely rarely used chemical methods with failure rates as high as 60 to 70 percent, the so called "rhythm" and a few other "natural" methods with surprisingly high failure rates, and then there are the rest. Statistically they average out to a less than 10% failure rate, especially when two or more are used in conjunction with each other. Some of these are indeed as high as 25% when used alone or improperly. This implies a congregate failure rate of 25% or less. Considering the nature of statistics we can be cautious and call it a 30% failure rate. Now we can add in the horrible things like the life of the mother in danger, rape and incest. Again we'll be generous and call that at 10%, even though we know pregnancies that are a result of such vile circumstances are much lower( I admit I am too lazy to look it up again). Now we are at around 40% of all pregnancies caused by failure of the methodology, life of the mother, or viscous criminal acts of violence. We can even add in another 10% for circumstances where the father splits, divorce, or whatever other circumstance you want to lump in there where it may be undesirable and impractical to have a child. That's 50% of all pregnancies we can, I think generously, consider as accidents. This leaves 50% or better where abortion is indeed being used as birth control. That is pure irresponsibility, Selfishness. I have no problems telling you I find it disgusting that we as a people can be that cold. Are the statistics wrong? Am I missing something here? I'm just looking for HONEST discussion on it. I will not waiver on being pro-choice, so it doesn't matter what either side says about that. That is tied into my beliefs as to what true freedom is, no matter how disturbing I may personally find the idea of abortion as birth control.

Am I the only one who is disturbed and deeply saddened by this other 50% of pregnancies? If I'm mistaken factually in anything I have said please enlighten me. I want us all to talk to about it honestly if we are going to bother at all. I think the subject matter deserves...REQUIRES...that we do just that.
  • Erok Andy Fl... 2012/11/24 09:39:46
    Erok
    +1
    Very well stated sir....you make several good points.
    No never
    +2
    Active use of the Pill and condoms should Always be used first and foremost as the primary form of birth control.
  • mich52 2012/11/23 04:56:29
  • Wonder ... mich52 2012/11/23 05:53:36
  • Andy Fl... Wonder ... 2012/11/23 06:28:18
    Andy Fletcher
    +1
    Changing your name did not change the lunacy that is you a bit.
  • Wonder ... Andy Fl... 2012/11/23 17:07:22
  • JohnnyRudick 2012/11/23 04:47:52
    Of course
    JohnnyRudick
    And it also aught to be legal up into the age of 18 years old.
  • Mark Mercer 2012/11/23 04:20:29
    No never
    Mark Mercer
    +1
    Sure things 'can' happen....but a little self control...and self reliance...first....please.
  • Wonder ... Mark Me... 2012/11/23 05:52:30
  • Pat 2012/11/23 03:24:57
    No never
    +5
    No. There are plenty of birth control methods available to women and there's no excuse for repeated abortions. It's also a surgical procedure and I would think that it would not be good for the woman's health to have repeated abortions. I am not opposed to abortion but I don't think that the decision to have an abortion should be taken lightly. It should really only be necessary as the method of last resort when your method of birth control has failed for some reason, in cases where the mother's life is in danger, rape or incest or if the baby will have some horrible deformity or medical condition.
  • Andy Fl... Pat 2012/11/23 05:14:04
    Andy Fletcher
    +1
    This is why I love you and am proud to have you on my friends list. You get it, and you are very reasonable 99% of the time. I may not agree with you a lot of the time, but at least you are open to HONEST discussion. Sadly, many of our compatriots are not.
  • Wonder ... Pat 2012/11/23 05:51:07
  • Morgan 2012/11/23 02:38:09
    No never
    Morgan
    +2
    Absolutely not. It's for unwanted pregnancies. Not preventing them.
  • TrudyGirl 2012/11/23 01:03:37
    TrudyGirl
    +2
    Again a question with out good choices. A woman should never and most would never count on abortion to act as birth control there are too many good alternatives to do that. People make mistakes and it should be an option but never the sole method. It is too hard on a woman's body and mind.
  • Metaldane 2012/11/23 00:57:10
    Metaldane
    +1
    It's used as a last resort option. Most of the time people are on birth control medication or use condoms or both. But sometimes due to alcohol or just emotional passion people forget or misused. Also sometimes birth control doesn't work condoms break and medication often causes birth control pills to stop working.
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/11/23 00:04:59
    Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow
    +1
    not as their only method, but as a last resort
  • ehrhornp 2012/11/22 23:46:10
    Of course
    ehrhornp
    +3
    Dumb question. No ne relies upon abortion as their method of birth control unless perhaps a phony conservative christian.
  • fabobsesson 2012/11/22 22:36:39
    fabobsesson
    I mean I guess its acceptable in some cases but other than that no way
  • laydeelapis 2012/11/22 22:16:29 (edited)
    No never
    laydeelapis
    +2
    Why would anyone put their body through that type of stress when they don't have to. It's there as a last resort, not the preliminary option. I've never even heard of anyone doing this.
  • cheetahlover156 2012/11/22 20:36:04
    No never
    cheetahlover156
    +2
    That is very selfish since they won't take responsibility and kill their growing baby.
  • VampFreak13 2012/11/22 19:55:06
    No never
    VampFreak13
    +2
    HELL NO!!!... :(
  • Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA 2012/11/22 18:35:38
    No never
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    I agree with a womans right to choose.... abortions should not be used in place of birth control...judge the woman if you feel it is your right...but I feel the choice is hers to make
  • Cat 2012/11/22 18:17:58 (edited)
    No never
    Cat
    +3
    it's preventing a birth by taking a life, not good!
  • lady_c5_loadmaster 2012/11/22 17:08:32
    No never
    lady_c5_loadmaster
    +4
    use the pill or condom, have a vesectamy or have your tubes clamped (they are reversable) or if you do get pregnant you can put the baby up for adoption.
  • niki.lloyd.9 2012/11/22 16:50:17
    No never
    niki.lloyd.9
    +2
    No you shouldnt use it as birth control however i do agree that this should be used if its the womans choice with regards to rape and if your birth control method has failed you when you have been using the precautions correctly....
    No never
    +4
    Too many other reliable methods that you can use, and I'm pro-choice!
  • Tarheel 2012/11/22 16:17:41
    No never
    Tarheel
    +3
    Absolutely not!
    darlenedoskas1969
    +7

BOTH sexes require this education.

BOTH sexes require this education.

2014/10/22 15:27:33