Should Parents Tell Kids the Truth About Santa?

It's a hard conversation to have with a child, but at some point or another, kids are bound to discover that Santa Claus isn't -- SPOILER ALERT! -- real. Some parents think it's best to tell their kids right away, so that they don't have to be disappointed later on. Others like to drag it on until the child finds out by themselves. We totally understand you not wanting to burst a kid's bubble. And if you want to prolong the innocent belief a bit longer, we've got just the thing for you.

With Santa Mail, you can order a personalized letter from Mr. Claus himself, customized with your child's name, hometown and state. There are a handful of letters to choose from -- and it's all just $9.95, with free shipping. That's a steal, if you ask us. And it'll put a smile on your child's face for a little longer.

• Tom L 2014/06/16 06:00:36
    Tom L
    Did he do something ? Is it for sure or just rumor? Its not nice to gossip.
  • Dave 007 2013/01/13 15:01:20
    Dave 007
    Maybe when the kid turns 30, it might be the time.
  • Abbie707 2013/01/05 00:15:44
    Abbie707
    Only when they r older so they don't believe forever but not when try are ages 2-10
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2013/01/03 17:27:54 (edited)
  • Hamilton 2012/12/29 20:41:56
    Hamilton
    That he works full time at a Home Depot near Pittsburgh.
  • Abbie707 Hamilton 2013/01/05 00:16:23
  • johndhutcheson 2012/12/29 18:40:08
    johndhutcheson
    +2
    Including the bit about leaving money at a house so the dad didn't sell his daughters into slavery and getting into punch ups at the Vatican.
  • rose johndhu... 2013/03/19 01:57:50
    rose
    +4
    um..... what you wrote made me feel disturbed and just....just sad. but i say no way let your kids dream for as long as they can because thats where creative minds come they believe the impossible and make it real but not santa hes not real.....
  • johndhu... rose 2013/04/02 00:34:13
    johndhutcheson
    +1
    Actually the Santa thing is a useful exerise in critical thinking, we are seeing millennials coming thought who are creative imaginative critical thinkers.

My history lesson is not intended to be disturbing, but that you find it so, speaks volumes about yourself.
  • dylana.aldrich 2012/12/28 17:25:10
    dylana.aldrich
    +1
    Normally when people think of make believe or A fairy tale they think of little kids and that if they still believe in it when they get older they will forget about it but I don’t think that we should be told to grow up and that everything we believe in isn’t real. I believe this because it hasn’t been proven not true just because right now it’s not true it doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen in the past and we should be able to express our imagination until we choose to grow up and stop believing but we still will never know. When we are children we believe anything and everything because we normally trust and care about the person who says it to us. You can’t say that when you were little and your parents told you about Santa clause that you didn’t believe them with all your heart. When you get older you start to lose that ability to believe what someone says with all your heart so that’s why you stop believing in Santa or the Easter bunny. It isn’t a scientific fact I don’t think but it’s a fact that needs to be noticed because our imaginations are the very important. I think children should be allowed to believe in anything they want.
  • stevegt... dylana.... 2013/01/03 17:29:44
  • Lupe Hickey 2012/12/27 18:13:40
    Lupe Hickey
    +2
    There actually was a Santa Claus. What's wrong on preserving and keeping his memory. Granted his physical body changed as well as where he lived. But the concept of Santa Claus giving gifts in honor of Christ is what we celebrate when you keep him as part if the holiday.
  • Krystal 2012/12/26 14:02:30
    Krystal
    +2
    Don't tell the kids about Santa! Kids are kids, and even if you tell them that Santa is fake, then they would go and tell other kids that Santa is fake, and then you would be facing crying kids and angry parents.
    I wasn't told that Santa wasn't real. I found out by myself around the ages of 11 or so. Kids also know around those years that they don't really "talk" about Santa anymore.
    Don't ruin their childhood at 8 by telling them that Santa, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy is fake. Its part of childhood and imagination.
  • Phyl *In God i Trust* 2012/12/25 09:13:56
    Phyl *In God i Trust*
    When I found out the truth it took all the fun out of it. merry  christmas
  • stevegt... Phyl *I... 2013/01/03 17:30:34
  • mothermayhem 2012/12/23 02:02:21
    mothermayhem
    +1
    They will discover themselves. In my house I wrapped all the presents love mom and dad. They got to imagine what we might have gotten them. Christmas Eve would place one more gift, labled from Santa, and xmas stockings on their bed posts.
    My youngest and I stil "Believe", thank-you vera much.
  • codie.paul 2012/12/22 19:15:00
    codie.paul
    Yes when they hit a certain age
  • cassidysf 2012/12/18 20:16:36
    cassidysf
    My mom never lied to me about Santa.
    Believing in Santa isn't a necessary part of life, as some may believe.
  • LayLady 2012/12/17 01:38:03
    LayLady
    yes
  • upsevendown 2012/12/15 17:02:21
    upsevendown
    +2
    Yes. Santa is make believe just like Barney, Mickey Mouse, and all the other characters. I have always told my daugher the truth.
  • meshell upseven... 2012/12/17 01:18:06
    meshell
    +1
    well be ready for ridicule. I don't believe in lying to mine or to others kids, esp family... But because I tell kids in my family the truth when they ask me, APPARENTLY Im a trrrible terrible person.. But thats fine Its better than being a bloody liar...
  • Yournewdad 2012/12/14 15:52:39
    Yournewdad
    +1
    Let the kids have a good childhood.
  • ppk007@cfl.rr.com 2012/12/14 15:46:35
    ppk007@cfl.rr.com
    +2
    YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH !!! LOL

truth
  • gunner 2012/12/14 14:01:42
    gunner
    +3
    At the time I`m answering this question, I see that 53% of those before me would teach their children how to lie. What else do you 53% teach them ? Just curious.
  • Mytstar... gunner 2012/12/14 20:09:40
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    To dream big ...... and to use his imagination...and learn skills to better himself... I taught my son not listen to others that might tend to discourage him from fulfilling the goals that he choose's to pursue... ... and to do his part to protect this country and himself...all of these things have a place and a time... but first I let him be a child and have fun ..believing in Santa .. The Easter Bunny ... and the Tooth Fairy..all of which he is now doing for his son
  • Alacrity Mytstar... 2012/12/16 14:14:30 (edited)
    Alacrity
    +1
    You are so right, mystar... and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours.

Christmas tree glittering
  • Mytstar... Alacrity 2012/12/16 15:23:59
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    Thanks... I replied to your mail... but accidently deleted it but thanks for the thought
  • Alacrity Mytstar... 2013/03/19 07:39:39
    Alacrity
    Amen to that.
  • meshell Mytstar... 2012/12/17 01:22:10
    meshell
    Im sure everyone, well Id HOPE everyone teaches their children these things. But a lot do it without deceiving them in other ways. WOW DECEIVING is a better terminology than lying..
  • gunner Mytstar... 2012/12/18 03:24:29
    gunner
    I was raised that way also. LOL . I also got a kick out of the Arlo Guthrie song about Santa Clause
  • Miss Capri gunner 2012/12/15 11:25:15
    Miss Capri
    +1
    I'm in complete agreement with you, and find it disgusting how people are showing such hostility at you for daring to tell it like it is. why people think it's fine to lie about this to their kids I'll never understand.

I had put this considerably further down the page so you probably haven't gotten to it, but here's a little something.
    http://chainsmashers.mixxt.co...
  • Alacrity Miss Capri 2012/12/16 14:53:14 (edited)
    Alacrity
    +1
    We have mal-adjusted people who would smear Santa Claus and then massacre children at school in Newtown CT, or Columbine CO.
    Christmas tree glittering
  • gunner Alacrity 2012/12/18 03:27:32
    gunner
    You`re comparing people who have the opinion of not teaching their children an out right lie, harmless as it may seem , to a mass murderer ? Absolutely incredible.
  • Mytstar... Miss Capri 2012/12/16 15:38:09
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Horse crap you psycho... pretending with your children about Santa The Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny ....is all a game that is played with your children for fun together and interaction with them... and for you to not understand that is pathetic
  • meshell Mytstar... 2012/12/17 01:30:15
    meshell
    a game is it.. Ok give your kiddies a pair of socks for chrissy, thats all. SEE HOW MUCH OF A BLOODY GAME IT IS THEN. When your child sooks because they didnt get what they want.. There is another good lesson to teach them... Sportsmanship. giving its a game and all...
  • Mytstar... meshell 2012/12/17 03:03:01
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    when I was a child ... socks were indeed put under the tree along with oranges and nuts in a stocking .. ... and we were bloody thankful for them .....hell of a Shelia you must be ..... probably spend your Christmas pampering yourself on the beach instead of pampering your tots
  • meshell meshell 2012/12/17 05:04:22
    meshell
    wow mystar when things dont go your way you do get nasty.. first I dont live near a beach, secondly my boys are old enough to have tots of their own. Thirdly my children has christmas as every other kid does. Christmas tree, lights decorations, poppers, bangers the lot. No turkey though. They didnt miss out. I didnt say it was wrong to celebrate christmas , i said it was wrong to lie to the kids.. So thanks for blocking. A pig headed arrogant bitch like you, is best off not communicating with me.. Merry christmas to you. May you new year be better than this one...
  • gunner Miss Capri 2012/12/18 03:38:31
    gunner
    Sorry, your link didn`t come up for me. I`m using that new 'improved' google chrome. I like the old google better. I watch for your link and try again. As for the hostility, I somewhat expect it from some here. It`s difficult to express emotion by this medium. I intend no sarcasm, only my thoughts. Seems very easy to mis-interpret, I`ve done it myself. Some of the hostility leaves no doubt as to the writers level of civility and civilization. They command the language, but not themselves. Thank you, Miss Capri
  • meshell gunner 2012/12/17 01:19:19
    meshell
    +1
    A very good question my friend.
  • gunner meshell 2012/12/18 03:43:51
    gunner
    Well, maybe, I guess I can figure, that like everyone else, we teach as we`ve been taught. Some break the mold, others(most) don`t. I did in some ways and other ways not. Some I wish I would have and others I`m glad I didn`t. Make any sense ?

2014/11/22 16:41:17