Should Migraines Be Considered A Disability?

2Loquacious 2008/12/26 04:06:31
YES, migraines should be considered a disability.  Here's why . . .
NO, migraines should NOT be considered a disability.  Here's why . . .
I don't know enough to say one way or the other.
I am curious to see what SodaHeads think about migraines and if they should be considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Via the MAGNUM website:

http://www.migraines.org/disability/disableg.htm

New technology and breakthroughs over the past decade in neurogenic theory of Migraine have advanced recent drug development for Migraine disease treatment. A consensus has developed that Serotonin (5-Hydroxytryptamine or 5-HTT) plays a key role in Migraine and that Migraine is a true organic illness, not a psychological disorder triggered by stress or depression. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has approved drugs designed specifically to treat Migraine disease, although these drugs are designed for the management of symptoms only, i.e., are not a cure. Recently, after several years of clinical studies, the FDA has approved several existing anti-epileptic drugs for Migraine prophylactic treatment, demonstrating the pharmaceutical industry's continued commitment and recognition of this disease. "There are billions of dollars being spent on Migraine research..." noted Dr. Stephen D. Silberstein, co-director, Comprehensive Headache Center, Philadelphia.

• pat 2009/04/05 23:40:27
    YES, migraines should be considered a disability. Here's why . . .
    pat
    +2
    Yes - in some cases. I suffered from migraine headaches for about 5 years. They are debilitating and if you have never had one, I would suggest you put your head in a vice and squeeze your head until your eyes pop out. I am glad to say they are a thing of the past for me. Nutrasweet was the culprit in my case. Too bad I had to suffer so long before I was enlightened and cured! My doctor stopped the NutraSweet and her headaches went away also............

• kjcaufield 2012/08/27 17:21:00
    kjcaufield
    Yes, for some people it is. Auras can mimic a stroke and I think most people would agree that someone having a stroke is not functioning too well. People who have had strokes can be qualified for disability. If you experience the same symptoms on a frequent bases as a person who is having a stroke does, does it not make since that they should be in the same category? I think the ADA should have rating system for migrainers, since it is variable among individuals. A monthly aura or headache, no. Take the day off. But for those who are weekly or daily bedridden from pain and hyper-sensitivity, or are experiencing paralysis, aphasia/speech disorders etc, sure. That is very disabling.
  • Terry J Vey 2009/04/07 00:47:48
    Terry J Vey
    +1
    Problem is that this one would be easily able to fake!Doctors have no cure and they do not happen frequently.I do know 1 person that had extreme suffering from them.So I can actuly say I seen the pain that it does bring and does make some unable to work.I also see it as an easy way out of work for leakers!
  • 2Loquac... Terry J... 2009/04/07 03:08:44
    2Loquacious
    Apparently, according to the migraines.org migraines are grossly under-diagnosed.

http://www.migraines.org/trea...

Furthermore, the changes in brain activity can be viewed and tracked on MRIs.
  • No Sheeple Here! 2009/04/06 22:23:06 (edited)
    NO, migraines should NOT be considered a disability. Here's why . . .
    No Sheeple Here!
    +1
    I suffer from migraines also and work at a stressful job. No, they should not be a disability. I work with people who have a written note to take time off work for their migraines. These people do abuse the policy on a whim and the employer cannot do a thing about it. Some of us do have to work to pay for those who choose not to. Most people who do not work who can work on their good days are not too happy not working. I would not encourage this kind of thing. Migraines do not last. There are things that can be done to prevent them from occurring. If we were to list every diagnosis as a disability, pretty soon nobody would be working. First one needs to find out the cause of the migraines then find ways to reduce what is causing it. Sometimes it is diet, other times it may even be the environment. After we find causative factors, one needs to see if they can make the changes in their lives or not. Usually changes can be made. Even working from home could be an option. But to encourage it as a disability, absolutely not. Looking at our American diet would a good first step in preventing them. working home option encourage disability absolutely american diet step preventing
  • 2Loquac... No Shee... 2009/04/06 22:59:24
    2Loquacious
    I think you misunderstand migraines and all of their causes.

Migraines can and do last.

I myself, have an incessant daily migraine that is managed with a daily dose of an anti-seizure medication. The med typically manages the other, more aggressive and painful migraines, but every so often, a bad one will break through because of triggers that are beyond my control (hormone spikes, colds, sleep disturbances).

And I was migraine-free up until a brain trauma about 6 years ago. So mine, and many other migraine sufferers' migraines have nothing to do with diet.

The idea of having migraines as a legally verifiable disability would be so people couldn't abuse it with doctor's notes like your co-workers. The process of qualifying for disability is a bit more rigorous than a doctor's note.

The other side of having migraines as a disability is so a person couldn't be discriminated against for having them by employers.
  • Congrats Obama! 2009/04/06 17:28:16
    Congrats Obama!
    +1
    Put yourself in this position; If you were an employer would you honestly hire an employee that admits they will have migraines on the job and loose more time from work than being at work? If you would NOT hire them then its a good business decision and not discrimination. They should be allowed to qualify for disability if they cant work.
  • Tsisquaya 2009/04/06 12:13:03
    Tsisquaya
    +1
    Those dang migraines are crippling when they kick in. Talk about curling up in a fetal position on the floor no matter where you are when it hits.
  • Stinky 2009/04/06 04:08:40
    Stinky
    +1
    I have friends with migraines. It lays them out and they can't function.
  • pat 2009/04/05 23:40:27
    pat
    +2
  • Uncle Joe pat 2009/04/06 12:09:13
    Uncle Joe
    I understand completely. Did the nutrasweet react immediately? My reaction to nutraseet is immediate and criplling.
  • joe 2009/04/05 22:32:54
    joe
    +2
    God I hope not... If they do, then I'll never get in the Navy...
  • pat joe 2009/04/05 23:41:20
    pat
    +1
    Don't drink any diet soda or ice tea.
  • joe pat 2009/04/06 01:08:16
    joe
    +1
    Thanks. I hear regular soda will help, due to the caffeine. Is that right?
  • pat joe 2009/04/08 00:55:59
    pat
    Nutrasweet caused my migraine headaches of over 5 years. They were debilitating.........Try to stay off of the stuff for a few weeks and see what happens. It is worth the try...........Good luck - The Navy is a wonderful life.
  • joe pat 2009/04/08 01:04:36
    joe
    I can't stand to drink NutraSweet anyway. In WW2, the Nazis used concentrated amounts of it to torture their prisoners. Plus, the stuff builds tiny permanent fat cells that just grow and never leave.
  • No Shee... pat 2009/04/06 22:33:07 (edited)
    No Sheeple Here!
    Everyone is different in regard to food and causative factors of migraines. Some people have hidden intolerance to certain foods that they are not even aware of. Some can't eat chocolate or indulge in oils..otherwise they will get migraines. Self-awareness of diet is absolutely necessary. Staying away from perfumes for some is a big deal. Certain artificial lights for others can be problematic. One woman had a hysterectomy and then her migraines went away, suggesting it was a hormonal related event. There is a cause and the migraines are often the symptom to something else.
  • murph 2009/04/05 19:03:41
    murph
    +1
    I think this is a really good question. And, my answer is that I don't know. Let me start by saying that I used to think the migraines were "just a headache" until I started having them. I actually have vestibular migraines, so they are painful and they also cause serious visual problems.

But, I have to say that in my experience, some people with migraines sometimes blow things out of proportion. Don't get me wrong, mine are painful and I would like to just stay in a dark room and wait them out. But, I had them everyday for a month once and had to go to work and school with them. I hadn't been diagnosed so they were really painful and were driving me crazy. And, while it was uncomfortable and I was unproductive to a degree, I definitely was not totally incapacitated. I feel like I hear a lot of people say, I have to stay in the dark. And, I wonder if they are like me, where it is more like, I really want to stay in the dark, but I don't have to. I could be wrong though. Maybe some people have worse symptoms.

In terms of the disability thing, I sort of lean to no. Because I think that people can function with migraines, it is just really hard and you wont be as productive as normal. I would just use a sick day if it were really bad. (But, I also realize I have a liberal amount of...

In terms of the disability thing, I sort of lean to no. Because I think that people can function with migraines, it is just really hard and you wont be as productive as normal. I would just use a sick day if it were really bad. (But, I also realize I have a liberal amount of sick days which might influence my opinion on this). And, also they are episodic. But, when reading the actual ADA document, they could certainly qualify because they consider other episodic illnesses a disability. So that is why I am unsure.
  • 2Loquac... murph 2009/04/05 19:29:24
    2Loquacious
    Thanks for the reply.

It's hard to say how others experience their migraines and how long they suffer.
  • 2Loquacious 2008/12/26 06:09:08
    2Loquacious
    I brought this question up because so few people seem to understand that a migraine isn't just a "headache."

I am not disabled by a run of the mill tension headache.

I am, however disabled by the migraines that plague me sometimes on a daily basis. I lose peripheral vision. I lose fine motor control of my hands and fingers. I lose my balance. I lose my ability to focus and concentrate. I lose my words. I lose my patience and temper because coping with debilitating pain kind of makes me a little grumpy. I lose a little bit of my sanity in the throes of really bad ones.

The everyday grind of a migraine makes me feel raw all over.

The onset of a severe migraine sends me moaning rummaging around my house looking for the gun my husband won't allow me to own to blow my painful brain out.

If that isn't a disability, I don't know what one is.
  • driley 2008/12/26 05:56:16
    driley
    +1
    I was unaware they were ever considered a psychological disorder. I have suffered from them in increasing frequency for nearly 20 years. I became unable to hold down a job several years ago when I started getting more than one a week. Without medication they last at least 3 days. With it - Maybe 2-12 hours. They are very disabling. When light and sound bring on unbearable nausea and throbbing pain in your head - it's pretty hard to be productive. There are drug therapies available. Very costly drug therapies.

For any fellow migraine sufferers, I have recently discovered something that is almost too simple to be believed. I take 400 mg. of vitamin B2 every morning. Yes, you read that right. Regular old Riboflavin. (Costs about $6./mo) The migraines are less frequent and easier to stop once they start. Motrin instead of Immitrex. It doesn't completely take them away, but I just started 2 months ago.
  • c ya *live~ laugh~love* 2008/12/26 05:39:02
    c ya *live~ laugh~love*
    +1
    If you've ever had a migraine you'd know they are debiltating. I don't get them anymore, but about 15 years ago I would miss work every once in awhile because of one.
  • Joanne 2008/12/26 05:26:00
    Joanne
    +1
    Maybe, if there was no way to get them under controll & made your life a living hell..
  • Flirty 2008/12/26 04:19:56
    Flirty
    +1
    I used to suffer from debilitating migraine headaches at least 20 out of 30 days a month. They were the kind that would actually blind me. I had a difficult time working full time and suffered for a couple of years. So yes, I think they can certainly be disabling. Luckily, I was able to find the cause of the migraines and don't have very many at all these days and they almost never last more than a day and they are not nearly as severe! Treatment is out there for some, but you just have to keep looking until you find it! Mine were brought almost to a complete stop by a chiropractor, of all things! I went through 10s of thousands of dollars in testing, and simple adjustments was all it took! I don't even take pain medications for them anymore!
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2008/12/26 04:15:06
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +1
    Quite simply, they're disabling. I've had them, I'm so sorry for those who suffer year after year with them.
  • thumbelina328- In God I Tru... 2008/12/26 04:13:19
    thumbelina328- In God I Trust!!
    +1
    Often times they are debilitating!! I have wondered this a lot! Migraines suck, I get them a lot!!

2014/12/21 15:56:21