Should Men Wear High Heels?

SodaHead Living 2011/08/19 18:22:45
The end may be near.

According to Lucky magazine, guys are starting to wear high heels. For realz.

OK, so they're not talking about your average Joe here. Lucky reports on "the emergence of an elite group of men who take pleasure in wearing exquisite women’s shoes. In public."

And no, these guys aren't strutting around in Payless pumps.

"These guys prefer Fendi over Frederick's any day," the author claims. "They exist in more abundance that you might believe," he adds.

How have we missed them?

Lucky makes a good point: Women's fashions have been allowed to change with the times, but men pretty much still wear the same boring stuff they always have.

"My fascination with the restrictions men have to abide to in their wardrobes started when I was a student studying history," heel-wearer Andrew Mukamal tells the mag.

"Ever since women entered the work force during the second World War, their wardrobes have changed dramatically. Over the course of the last 50 years, women have pretty much adopted all forms of menswear in some variation, and most importantly, these new options have become widely accepted by the general public."

Plus, the author adds, heels are simply more flattering -- especially for short dudes.

"They allow me to pass as 5'10" when I'm only 5'5" on a good day," the author argues.

What do you think? Should more men give high heels a chance?

• Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2011/08/19 22:54:35
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +46
    You need an "other" option, SH.

I have no problem with men wearing heels. Before you yell at me, take a step back and examine the shoe. The point of high heels is to give you height, and accentuate the shape of the leg. It IS flattering, and the right kind of man could wear it well, if so inclined. They could even make those shoes more masculine by making them the high-heel version of the patent leather work shoes businessmen are so fond of wearing into the office. You know, the really expensive ones that need shining every so often. Or of sandals men prefer to wear.

The only ones who should be offended at this are the ones who think this is emasculating, and the ONLY reason is could be considered such is because they're wearing womens' shoes. Because, you know, manufacturers only make high heels for women. But if they made it for men, specifically for men, it would be no different that womens' sneakers and mens' sneakers.

Scottish men used to-- and sometimes still do-- wear kilts. We'd call them skirts, but they think they're eminently manly. Because they're designed for men. Same can go with the high heels. Just takes the same directive to do so.

For guys who don't want to wear them, I'm right with you. I don't wear high heels, either.

For guys who want to wear them, go right ahead. Have fun.

• don 2013/12/10 15:33:56
    don
    +2
    I'm 47 year old ranch cowboy in Colorado and I say yes it's ok I wear womens clothing and shoes all the time. A person has to do what makes them happy and tell the other naysayers to go to h___!
  • Pinky don 2013/12/10 17:33:57
    Pinky
    Perfectly said.
  • manfrommars46 2013/11/03 19:46:35
    manfrommars46
    Only if they're shortarses like Alan Ladd the film actor.
  • Maleficent 2013/11/03 19:43:10
    Maleficent
    I guess. if it depends on their situation. that's like asking if it's ok for girls to wear long shorts and baggy pants.
  • mike1who2000 2013/10/08 07:17:21
    mike1who2000
    +5
    I'm a str8 white male. Mid 60s. I say they look great and men should wear them too. But they are scared they'll be called gay.
    I'm not gay but i think; if its ok for women the its ok for men.
    I also feel women should be able to go topless just like a man without some ass hole getting there nose out of joint. too!!!!!!
    I'd 1/2 cross dress if I could every day
    Heels, hose sometimes and short kilt and regular mens shirts to fit the event. I'd never wear a bra unless it was needed to stop pain even it I was a women.
    The hell with other people telling what is right and wrong-- as long as you don't hurt anyone no one should have the right to judge others-- go for it. It's about time people make use their own opion.
  • Pinky mike1wh... 2013/10/08 22:25:24
    Pinky
    +1
    Cool opinion
  • gautam 2013/07/27 17:32:02
    gautam
    +3
    Men should get a chance. Nothing wrong wearing girly things.
  • ciao_chao 2013/06/30 23:43:36
    ciao_chao
    +2
    Already do, maybe you have seen me. :-P

Men in the past had little need for aesthetic considerations, with primary concern of attractiveness measured in financial security. As women have gained financial independence, there is a need for man to adapt to their new environment.
  • Robert 2013/06/26 15:05:28
    Robert
    Well gat damn! If I see a man wearing those things....
  • Scrappy... Robert 2013/07/09 13:55:50
    Scrappy Coco
    +4
    If you see a man wearing heels? Really what would you do other than maybe make a smart comment? They are shoes and that is it. There is no law that says I can't wear heels if I want to. Just like there is no law against close minded people like your self! Enough said......
  • Robert Scrappy... 2013/11/26 17:05:14 (edited)
    Robert
    Why are YOU so upset? Are you on your period and are planning on wearing some? If I see man wearing high heel and what would I do? Laugh! Because that woulld be one ugly mother f-cker jack and ask were is your mini skirt! Now, you're happy? Just can't wait to get into a word battle aren't you? Scrappy, I'm not into men.
  • Ray Louis Robert 2013/11/24 23:30:13
    Ray Louis
    Tell me, What would you do? Last time I checked this is AMERICA.
  • Robert Ray Louis 2013/11/26 17:07:34 (edited)
    Robert
    You respond to my statement with a name like Ray Louis? A youngin like you need to know who he's communicating with. Last I checked laughing is an act and that is exactly what I'd do. I've seen men in heels before and laughed.... Damn he was ugly too. Big ol football legs.... See I'm not into men.
  • Joey 2013/06/23 19:49:56
    Joey
    +3
    yes i totally agree that men should be able to wear high heels.
  • Josh 2013/06/09 10:19:38
    Josh
    +3
    I don't know why people think. Men can not were high heels there is nothing wrong that men were wearing. High heels. Way before. Girls ever did so I think men should. Be able. Like I wear heels every were. I go.
  • Icon Josh 2013/06/11 01:34:52
    Icon
    +2
    Way to go Josh! Doing what you like and proud of it! Hats off to you sir.
    Man in heels
  • Pinky Icon 2013/06/14 01:58:01
    Pinky
    +3
    I like the look.
  • Josh Icon 2013/07/14 14:52:47
    Josh
    +1
    Thanks mate I like your heels.
  • Icon Josh 2013/07/14 17:28:09 (edited)
    Icon
    The picture isn't of me. It's Spanish fashion designer Victor Blanco .
  • Scrappy... Josh 2013/06/16 09:33:21
    Scrappy Coco
    +3
    I feel exactly the same as you. They are only a shoe. I am at a point where I wear anything I want on the lower half of my body. Jeans, dress pants, skirts, heels whatever. I just use a little bit of common sense and think before I do something and say is this a good idea for the situation? Hell I wore a pair of ballet flats to a job interview the other day!
  • Robert Josh 2013/07/09 15:43:00
    Robert
    You know they lift your calves and make your butt sit up and stick out LOL!
  • Josh Robert 2013/07/14 14:56:17
    Josh
    Well that's ok I don't mind if my butt sticks put.
  • Lew 2013/04/06 22:59:25 (edited)
    Lew
    +7
    I have heard a lot of opinions about others doing what each commentor purposes. What about individuals using their own right to make their own decisions. We often, as a society, have this habit of thinking we are in charge of other people. Only parents and guardians have the right to steward their wards until they are on their own and responsible for their own stewardship. People are who they are. If we try to make them be us, it is going against the very basic laws of the human race, to live life to its fullest and help others to do the same. Each individual is inherently different, just by the nature of being somebody else. It is unlikely that we know other's proclivities and you can't change mine to fit yours, even if I should choose to follow. Which may not mean I totally agree with everything you have to offer. So we must have honesty and trustworthiness in our dealings.

Now to address the topic of this site, "should men wear high heels?" What is the purpose of attiring? To cover our nakedness and to protect us from the harmful elements of the environment we may be in. Any other decision of ornamentation is our choice. It is society that oversteps its authority in choosing what each person should wear. I know it has traditionally been done that way, but that doesn't make it right.
  • fh9point5 2013/04/04 18:24:58
    fh9point5
    +4
    Of course! If a man has a well kept foot, leg, etc., why not?
  • Urchyn 2013/02/15 04:17:25
    Urchyn
    Only if they're queer.
  • Monica ... Urchyn 2013/02/19 07:41:55
    Monica Moore
    +6
    they shouldnt have to be gay to wear heels.. high heels were originally made for men around the 16th century by the pursians
  • Icon Monica ... 2013/03/30 09:12:50 (edited)
    Icon
    +1
    Queer just means weird, and if that's the case so be it.
  • Josh Monica ... 2013/07/31 08:11:37
    Josh
    So true
  • Josh Monica ... 2014/03/09 14:31:55
    Josh
    So true
  • Pinky Urchyn 2013/02/19 16:40:53
    Pinky
    +2
    Theres a little queer in all of us. Dont u think?
  • Urchyn Pinky 2013/02/21 21:32:53
    Urchyn
    Speaking for myownself, NO there's not a speck of queer here.
  • Scrappy... Urchyn 2013/03/17 20:44:31
    Scrappy Coco
    +3
    Well let just say this is the typical comment I would expect to heat from the narrow minded. Wearing heels does not make anyone gay. If that's the case most women would be gay. Brain chemistry makes you gay. Clothing does not not will it ever make you gay strait or bi. Nor will clothing or shoes in this case make you male or female your DNA does that for you. Shoes are just that shoes something that we where for fashion reasons. That's all ill say at this point.
  • fh9point5 Urchyn 2013/04/04 18:26:48
    fh9point5
    +1
    Looks like you're hiding something... Keep the closet in an orderly fashion!
  • Josh Pinky 2013/07/14 15:03:03
    Josh
    So true
  • Josh Urchyn 2013/07/14 15:01:42
    Josh
    +3
    Men don't have to be queer to wear heels there is no thing in the law that says men can not were heels men weared heels whey before you girls ever did.
  • atul Urchyn 2014/01/10 00:19:22
    atul
    F*&k Off and Die A$$hole!
  • Pinky 2013/02/01 01:53:14
    Pinky
    +1
    But only when playing.
  • Outofthenorm 2012/12/07 16:40:13
    Outofthenorm
    +3
    See, I like to wear my heels in public. My wife likes it when I wear them around the house but not out. She is also 23 weeks pregnant. She is afraid that our child will become sexually confused in later years, or get made fun of in school because " your dad wears girls shoes?" just because i like to wear my high heels out in the real world. And she also feels uncomfortable when were out together in public when I'm wearing them. W hat should we do?
  • Icon Outofth... 2012/12/08 07:15:16
    Icon
    +2
    My wife doesn't like when I wear heels at all, she does understand that I am my own person and that I love her very much. What it boiled down to is I wouldn't tell her how to dress if she didn't tell me how to dress. We don't have any children as of yet and that can complicate things. On the one hand I think if you're wearing some really nice looking outfits who cares that you're wearing heels. Most will be taken by your style. That's the experience that I have had anyway. One the other hand you do have think of your child as well as your marriage. Perhaps you can reach a compromise. Maybe try wearing lower heels out and gradually move towards wearing the higher heels out.Tread carefully my friend. I my be in your shoes one day and it will be you who's given me advice.
  • Scrappy... Outofth... 2012/12/18 02:02:22
    Scrappy Coco
    +2
    The only thing I can say is take it slow. It's tough when you are talking about kids. My wife is the same as yours. She doesn't like me wearing heels I have worn them out and about a few time's with her. I think there biggest fear is someone making fun of you, her or your kids. Once they see that most people don't care what you wear as long as you have cloth's on thing's will slowly change (maybe). I have found that with my wife that if I keep the shoes from looking to over the top that she doesn't say much. Just make sure that you take a good look at your outfit and try to wear something that wont draw a lot of attention to you or her. Just food for thought.

2014/04/19 07:11:19