Should Men Wear High Heels?

The end may be near.

According to Lucky magazine, guys are starting to wear high heels. For realz.

OK, so they're not talking about your average Joe here. Lucky reports on "the emergence of an elite group of men who take pleasure in wearing exquisite women’s shoes. In public."

And no, these guys aren't strutting around in Payless pumps.

"These guys prefer Fendi over Frederick's any day," the author claims. "They exist in more abundance that you might believe," he adds.

How have we missed them?

Lucky makes a good point: Women's fashions have been allowed to change with the times, but men pretty much still wear the same boring stuff they always have.

"My fascination with the restrictions men have to abide to in their wardrobes started when I was a student studying history," heel-wearer Andrew Mukamal tells the mag.

"Ever since women entered the work force during the second World War, their wardrobes have changed dramatically. Over the course of the last 50 years, women have pretty much adopted all forms of menswear in some variation, and most importantly, these new options have become widely accepted by the general public."

Plus, the author adds, heels are simply more flattering -- especially for short dudes.

"They allow me to pass as 5'10" when I'm only 5'5" on a good day," the author argues.

What do you think? Should more men give high heels a chance?

• Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦ 2011/08/19 22:54:35
    Yuki ~ ♦Lion King of PHÆT♦
    +46
    You need an "other" option, SH.

I have no problem with men wearing heels. Before you yell at me, take a step back and examine the shoe. The point of high heels is to give you height, and accentuate the shape of the leg. It IS flattering, and the right kind of man could wear it well, if so inclined. They could even make those shoes more masculine by making them the high-heel version of the patent leather work shoes businessmen are so fond of wearing into the office. You know, the really expensive ones that need shining every so often. Or of sandals men prefer to wear.

The only ones who should be offended at this are the ones who think this is emasculating, and the ONLY reason is could be considered such is because they're wearing womens' shoes. Because, you know, manufacturers only make high heels for women. But if they made it for men, specifically for men, it would be no different that womens' sneakers and mens' sneakers.

Scottish men used to-- and sometimes still do-- wear kilts. We'd call them skirts, but they think they're eminently manly. Because they're designed for men. Same can go with the high heels. Just takes the same directive to do so.

For guys who don't want to wear them, I'm right with you. I don't wear high heels, either.

For guys who want to wear them, go right ahead. Have fun.

• Nicholas Delafuente 2014/10/22 22:03:22
    Nicholas Delafuente
    Yes people SHODE be adal to CROSSDRESSING in Texas and not go to jell
  • Zamaliba HE 2014/09/22 08:18:23 (edited)
    Zamaliba HE
    I don't think men should wear high heel shoes, they can wear elevator shoes, for it can make men look taller instantly and invisibly. wear high heel shoes wear elevator shoes instantly invisibly
  • Lew Zamalib... 2014/11/01 23:40:40
    Lew
    I respect your opinion to limit another person right to choose what they should wear, because of some bias. However, I disagree with your premise that you have the right to invade a person's agency to make them wear what you decided they should.
  • Sam 2014/07/29 03:06:17
    Sam
    Originally high heels were worn by the French King Louis XIV because he was short. He even went as far as declaring only members of the royal family was allowed to wear red heels. Even the famous composer Mozart may have worn heels because he was short.

There are certain types of shoes that are worn by men including cowboy boots & elevator shoes (essentially hiding the platform inside the shoes) so that the heel isn't visible on the outside.

What we are talking about are women's shoes for men in the form of cross-dressing because very few shoes are made as unisex. Besides the size of the foot being bigger, most men would require wide-width shoes which are harder to get. If the trend is popularized, then there would be an entire industry around creating heels just for men.

When women wear heels, there is a tendency to focus on the sex appeal. If all you want is to gain height, a pair of shoes with a higher platform at the bottom would be more practical for walking. Otherwise wearing high heels is like women foot-binding in China just over a century ago. Personally have no problem with both sexes wearing heels as long as they are comfortable. Being fashionable would be the last thing if they start causing foot blisters...
  • Icon Sam 2014/07/29 05:22:09
    Icon
    Actually high heels were orginally worn by Persian mounted archer. Much like modern day cowboy boots the point was to provide a stable footing. The French would adapt this for fashion later.
    Persian High Heel
    http://mentalfloss.com/articl...
  • don 2013/12/10 15:33:56
    don
    +4
    I'm 47 year old ranch cowboy in Colorado and I say yes it's ok I wear womens clothing and shoes all the time. A person has to do what makes them happy and tell the other naysayers to go to h___!
  • Pinky don 2013/12/10 17:33:57
    Pinky
    Perfectly said.
  • manfrommars46 2013/11/03 19:46:35
    manfrommars46
    Only if they're shortarses like Alan Ladd the film actor.
  • Maleficent 2013/11/03 19:43:10
    Maleficent
    I guess. if it depends on their situation. that's like asking if it's ok for girls to wear long shorts and baggy pants.
  • mike1who2000 2013/10/08 07:17:21
    mike1who2000
    +5
    I'm a str8 white male. Mid 60s. I say they look great and men should wear them too. But they are scared they'll be called gay.
    I'm not gay but i think; if its ok for women the its ok for men.
    I also feel women should be able to go topless just like a man without some ass hole getting there nose out of joint. too!!!!!!
    I'd 1/2 cross dress if I could every day
    Heels, hose sometimes and short kilt and regular mens shirts to fit the event. I'd never wear a bra unless it was needed to stop pain even it I was a women.
    The hell with other people telling what is right and wrong-- as long as you don't hurt anyone no one should have the right to judge others-- go for it. It's about time people make use their own opion.
  • Pinky mike1wh... 2013/10/08 22:25:24
    Pinky
    +1
    Cool opinion
  • gautam 2013/07/27 17:32:02
    gautam
    +3
    Men should get a chance. Nothing wrong wearing girly things.
  • ciao_chao 2013/06/30 23:43:36
    ciao_chao
    +2
    Already do, maybe you have seen me. :-P

Men in the past had little need for aesthetic considerations, with primary concern of attractiveness measured in financial security. As women have gained financial independence, there is a need for man to adapt to their new environment.
  • Robert 2013/06/26 15:05:28
    Robert
    Well gat damn! If I see a man wearing those things....
  • Scrappy... Robert 2013/07/09 13:55:50
    Scrappy Coco
    +4
    If you see a man wearing heels? Really what would you do other than maybe make a smart comment? They are shoes and that is it. There is no law that says I can't wear heels if I want to. Just like there is no law against close minded people like your self! Enough said......
  • Robert Scrappy... 2013/11/26 17:05:14 (edited)
    Robert
    Why are YOU so upset? Are you on your period and are planning on wearing some? If I see man wearing high heel and what would I do? Laugh! Because that woulld be one ugly mother f-cker jack and ask were is your mini skirt! Now, you're happy? Just can't wait to get into a word battle aren't you? Scrappy, I'm not into men.
  • Ray Louis Robert 2013/11/24 23:30:13
    Ray Louis
    Tell me, What would you do? Last time I checked this is AMERICA.
  • Robert Ray Louis 2013/11/26 17:07:34 (edited)
    Robert
    You respond to my statement with a name like Ray Louis? A youngin like you need to know who he's communicating with. Last I checked laughing is an act and that is exactly what I'd do. I've seen men in heels before and laughed.... Damn he was ugly too. Big ol football legs.... See I'm not into men.
  • Scrappy... Robert 2014/04/26 02:47:34
    Scrappy Coco
    Ok Robert I'm going to toss things at you that you may or may not understand. From a sociological stand point there is nothing that say's a man can't wear heels. Typically when someone like you makes fun of someone like me you are hypermasculizing yourself in a weak attempt to try to establish a dominance over someone like myself. Yet more often than not studies have shown that men that act like you do are subconsciously insecure in their own masculinity. To be honest if you are checking out another guy and saying "Damn he was ugly" as a clinical therapist I might wonder if you have some repressed homosexual tendency's. I would almost venture to guess that if you took an Implicit Association Test on sexuality it would show that you prefer men to women. So lets just put it like this if you really want to get into a word battle it may not be a good idea. Oh and see just how easy it was for someone to pass judgment and stereotype you just based off of a few of the words that you said. So with that being said maybe you should think twice about mashing words with someone who has a BA in Sociology with a minor in Human Services. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
  • Robert Scrappy... 2014/04/30 20:49:55 (edited)
    Robert
    Look, a man is a man and to me it doesn't matter what he looks like because I'm not into men. And men don't get together based on our looks but what we can do. And we may admire each others clothes and in some cases our builds, but that's it. But the most important thing to a man is his capabilities and not his ability to draw attention to themselves. That is for women and this is what you want to do. So when you try to perpetrate a woman, which is ok for you, but then you don't expect to get laughted at? Why should I not laugh at something that is funny looking and is asking to be noticed and laughed at? And what's wrong with that? All I would be doing is laughing at you. Why get upset about it? If you and I were in the same audience and a clown was on stage doing a comedy routine, you would laugh too wouldn't you. But in this case you are the clown. If you want to wear women's clothes and accept the fact that you think that men can wear them, then you also have to accept the fact that you will be pointed at and laughed at. And just like you have the power to dress that way, I have the power to laugh at you and if I see you I will or I would feel sorry for you.
  • Joey 2013/06/23 19:49:56
    Joey
    +3
    yes i totally agree that men should be able to wear high heels.
  • Josh 2013/06/09 10:19:38
    Josh
    +3
    I don't know why people think. Men can not were high heels there is nothing wrong that men were wearing. High heels. Way before. Girls ever did so I think men should. Be able. Like I wear heels every were. I go.
  • Icon Josh 2013/06/11 01:34:52
    Icon
    +2
    Way to go Josh! Doing what you like and proud of it! Hats off to you sir.
    Man in heels
  • Pinky Icon 2013/06/14 01:58:01
    Pinky
    +3
    I like the look.
  • Josh Icon 2013/07/14 14:52:47
    Josh
    +1
    Thanks mate I like your heels.
  • Icon Josh 2013/07/14 17:28:09 (edited)
    Icon
    The picture isn't of me. It's Spanish fashion designer Victor Blanco .
  • henny49... Icon 2014/09/18 19:42:48
    henny4987 .
    Those shoes look very good on you.You need more colors!!!!
  • Scrappy... Josh 2013/06/16 09:33:21
    Scrappy Coco
    +3
    I feel exactly the same as you. They are only a shoe. I am at a point where I wear anything I want on the lower half of my body. Jeans, dress pants, skirts, heels whatever. I just use a little bit of common sense and think before I do something and say is this a good idea for the situation? Hell I wore a pair of ballet flats to a job interview the other day!
  • Robert Josh 2013/07/09 15:43:00
    Robert
    You know they lift your calves and make your butt sit up and stick out LOL!
  • Josh Robert 2013/07/14 14:56:17
    Josh
    Well that's ok I don't mind if my butt sticks put.
  • Lew 2013/04/06 22:59:25 (edited)
    Lew
    +7
    I have heard a lot of opinions about others doing what each commentor purposes. What about individuals using their own right to make their own decisions. We often, as a society, have this habit of thinking we are in charge of other people. Only parents and guardians have the right to steward their wards until they are on their own and responsible for their own stewardship. People are who they are. If we try to make them be us, it is going against the very basic laws of the human race, to live life to its fullest and help others to do the same. Each individual is inherently different, just by the nature of being somebody else. It is unlikely that we know other's proclivities and you can't change mine to fit yours, even if I should choose to follow. Which may not mean I totally agree with everything you have to offer. So we must have honesty and trustworthiness in our dealings.

Now to address the topic of this site, "should men wear high heels?" It is a socially promoted idea to think clothing items have a preference as to who wears them. These are things that have been created from materials by cutting, sewing and molding for a particular use. Other people and/or groups have decided who they want to choose each compilation of materials. What is the purpose of attiring? To cove...

Now to address the topic of this site, "should men wear high heels?" It is a socially promoted idea to think clothing items have a preference as to who wears them. These are things that have been created from materials by cutting, sewing and molding for a particular use. Other people and/or groups have decided who they want to choose each compilation of materials. What is the purpose of attiring? To cover our nakedness and to protect us from the harmful elements of the environment we may be in. Any other decision of ornamentation is our choice. It is society that oversteps its authority in choosing what each person should wear. I know it has traditionally been done that way, but that doesn't make it right.
  • fh9point5 2013/04/04 18:24:58
    fh9point5
    +4
    Of course! If a man has a well kept foot, leg, etc., why not?
  • Urchyn 2013/02/15 04:17:25
    Urchyn
    Only if they're queer.
  • Monica ... Urchyn 2013/02/19 07:41:55
    Monica Moore
    +7
    they shouldnt have to be gay to wear heels.. high heels were originally made for men around the 16th century by the pursians
  • Icon Monica ... 2013/03/30 09:12:50 (edited)
    Icon
    +1
    Queer just means weird, and if that's the case so be it.
  • luvtowear Icon 2014/07/24 22:43:23
    luvtowear
    +1
    Wired, how about what men are wearing every day? Baggy ugly jeans, sloppy t-shirts with white undershirt hanging out, baseball cap on backwards. THATS WIERD!
  • luvtowear Icon 2014/07/24 22:48:31
    luvtowear
    +1
    Cute girls with perfect hair and makeup clopping around like a Lame duck wearing flipp-flops. Trendy, yes. Wierd, VERY!
  • Josh Monica ... 2013/07/31 08:11:37
    Josh
    So true
  • Josh Monica ... 2014/03/09 14:31:55
    Josh
    So true
  • Pinky Urchyn 2013/02/19 16:40:53
    Pinky
    +2
    Theres a little queer in all of us. Dont u think?

2014/11/24 16:19:00