Should Men Sit Next to Kids on Airline Flights?

mrosen814 2012/08/13 18:00:00
A 33-year-old Sydney fireman, Johnny McGirr, was asked by Virgin Australia flight staff to swap seats with a female passenger. He said he was approached and told he had to move. When he asked why, he was told, ”Well, because you are male, you can’t be seated next to two unaccompanied minors.” He said he thought the request was sexist and discriminatory, but was told it was the airline’s policy.

McGirr's wrote a formal complaint to the airline, describing his embarrassment. “As I collected my things from the seat pocket I could see people looking at me and wondering why I was being moved. I was red from embarrassment. I felt like I was being judged and found guilty of a crime I hadn’t committed. It was an uncomfortable situation and I felt ashamed which was a weird feeling because I hadn’t done anything wrong.” Do you think it's OK if a male sits next to unaccompanied minors on flights?

ABCNEWS.GO.COM reports:
A flight attendant asked 33-year-old Sydney fireman Johnny McGirr to switch seats with a woman after he was seated next to two young boys on an April flight, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. McGirr, who wrote about his experience in a blog post titled “My Virgin experience as a Paedophile!” said he was traveling to Brisbane from Sydney and seated next to two boys he estimated to be ten years old.
titled virgin experience apaedophile traveling brisbane sydney seated boys estimated

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/08/shou...

• Nightmusic 2012/08/13 19:31:49
    Nightmusic
    +21
    I was molested by 2 women. About 15% of child molestation is done by women, but the feminists don't want you to know so no one talks about it.

• jerry.a... addie 2012/08/15 13:48:09
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +1
    "white men" he said.
  • addie jerry.a... 2012/08/15 18:04:08
    addie
    You are right, and that is even more dopey, thank you for pointing it out!
    "The war on white men." lol

It is still horrible, really offensive, that the man was asked to move and that this is even an issue. Just to be clear.
  • jerry.a... Freeranger 2012/08/15 13:47:38
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +1
    right on...an remember, as a white man, everything you say can be offensive, but you are not allowed to be offended...you have to deal with it becuase you are an oppressor. LOL!
    seems you need to check out my question I posted....you would probably totally agree with me.
  • addie jerry.a... 2012/08/15 18:31:12
    addie
    Yes, it must seem like you are not allowed to be offended. I would never say that and of course there is racism against white men.
    It just does not seem like an issue when you consider...well, anything else in the whole world. lol

Individual instances are as offensive as any prejudicial behavior. I wish I used that airline so I could boycott them!
  • intolerantrwj 2012/08/14 21:01:54
    intolerantrwj
    +3
    ...... what the heck were kids doing on a ' No Children Flight ' .... there is such a thing, isn't there ?

He should have told the Attendant .... ' If you don't want them sitting beside me .... 'effin move them, I'm sitting right here .... unless of course, you're moving me to 1st Class for Free '

Ever tell you about my Old Job .... Public Relations
  • Michaelene intoler... 2012/08/15 17:07:17
    Michaelene
    +1
    I agree 100%, the children flying without their parents should have been moved close to staff or give the guy the upgrade for his troubles.
  • intoler... Michaelene 2012/08/15 17:11:58
    intolerantrwj
    +1
    ..... things like the Priest Incidents, NAMBLA and Sandusky haven't helped us men much, but letting the Politically Correct World bully us around is nutz.

You'll probably not believe this, but I get rather loud + mouthy about things like this when I'm immediately affected .... never would have guessed it, would ya' < s >
  • Michaelene intoler... 2012/08/15 17:16:12
    Michaelene
    +2
    We are all affected by PC and I refuse to be bullied by it too.
  • Merlin 2012/08/14 20:39:06 (edited)
    Merlin
    +1
    "Sorry, you can't sit next to your kid. You might touch him inappropriately."
  • Yournewdad 2012/08/14 20:35:35
    Yournewdad
    Why not?!? Not all men are pedophiles and rapists! Men can't sit by children? What the hell is happening?
  • Jack Nicholson 2012/08/14 20:23:52
    Jack Nicholson
    +4
    This is utterly disgusting. Some groups can't understand that regardless of statistics, discrimination BOTH ways is still sexism. It doesn't matter which genders are involved.
    The same goes for racism. Anyone who thinks that a white man cannot be the victim of racism is an idiot!
  • Resp 2012/08/14 20:22:04
    Resp
    +1
    If the children were his children of course he should sit next to them!?
  • Centrist_Bill 2012/08/14 20:04:23
    Centrist_Bill
    +1
    UUUGGGHHH. Thats one airline I wont fly.
  • blindfaith 2012/08/14 19:56:07
  • RJS 2012/08/14 19:51:39
    RJS
    But that kind of thing should be screened before the plane is boarded. Innocent male passengers shouldn't be embarrassed like that.
  • Jack Ni... RJS 2012/08/14 20:18:37
    Jack Nicholson
    +3
    How can you vote no? How ridiculous!
    Why men? Why can't a woman be dangerous, or another child in fact?
  • RJS Jack Ni... 2012/08/16 02:08:10
    RJS
    Someone having a different opinion than you isn't ridiculous. This isn't a strong, "No way in Hell," it's a weak "Nah, probably not." Unfortunately, the person who wrote this poll wasn't considerate or smart enough to add a middle answer.

Many parents wouldn't want their children, especially a young girl, sitting next to a strange man. If anything, there should be an option for parents to say they don't want their child sitting next to a strange man, woman, or either.

And, yeah, anything can happen to anyone at any time. Anybody is capable of harming another, intentionally or accidentally. But statistics show that men are far more likely than women or children to seriously harm, sexually assault, or kill another person. So a policy that prevents solitary children from sitting next to strange men on flights that last hours isn't that extreme, provided that it doesn't unnecessarily embarrass otherwise good people. The seating arrangement should have been screened before boarding or he could have been offered a free upgrade to first class.

Or he could grow a spine and stop caring what complete strangers assume about him. I mean, seriously.
  • cupcakes 2012/08/14 19:50:33
  • jay 2012/08/14 19:40:30
    jay
    +1
    The last time I flew back home from Vegas, I had my carry-on in the overhead and I was searching through it looking for my iPad, and I felt someone sneaking a sausage-squeeze. When I looked down the only person within arm's length was a lady in the aisle seat one row back from mine. She had her face buried in an Airmall catalogue, but I knew it was her.
  • MandaLynne 2012/08/14 19:34:12
    MandaLynne
    +2
    This is ridiculous. Reminds me of a joke that gets the point across:

A couple went on vacation to a resort up north. The husband liked to fish, and the wife liked to read. One morning the husband came back from fishing after getting up really early that morning and took a nap. While he slept, the wife decided to take the boat out. She was not familiar with the lake, so she rowed out and anchored the boat, and started reading her book.

Along comes the Game Warden in his boat, pulls up alongside the woman's boat and asks her what she's doing? She says, "Reading my book." The Game Warden tells her she is in a restricted fishing area and she explains that she's not fishing. To which he replied, "But you have all this equipment. I will have to take you in and write you up!"

Angry that the warden was being so unreasonable, the lady told the warden, "If you do that, I will charge you with rape." The warden, shocked by her statement, replied, "But I didn't even touch you." To which the lady replied, "Yeah, but you have all the equipment!"
  • A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader 2012/08/14 19:22:12 (edited)
    A.S.A.C. Hank Schrader
    This is just asinine! This just makes a broadened assumption that all adults males are pedophiles, because it is gross for a grown man to be within 2 inches of a child that is not his, and that none of the females are pedophiles, because if they touch children, they're just acting out upon their maternal urges. Mary Kay Letourneau, anybody? You know, that teacher, who was also a mother, who had sex with her 14-year-old student, got pregnant with his child, got sent to prison for having sexual relations with a minor, and left her family to start a family with this kid. Disgusting woman!
  • SirWence 2012/08/14 18:28:06
    SirWence
    +2
    Same old usual double standards ~
  • nightcrawler2005 2012/08/14 18:24:12
    nightcrawler2005
    +2
    Totally wrong of the airlines. Personally I can't stand sitting beside kids on a long flight because they tend to be a nuisance. But to move someone just be cause they were born male. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau should go after that Airline.
  • Bigbrowneyes 2012/08/14 18:10:21 (edited)
    Bigbrowneyes
    +1
    This happened because men are more likely to be pedophiles? Someone spell out sexist...For the record, I was told to get naked by my FEMALE babysitter, similar to what the top comment states.

It's like not letting Blacks live beside rich people because they statistically commit more crimes in proportion to their population. http://library.flawlesslogic....

What a load of discriminatory BS...
  • DaSingleDaddy 2012/08/14 17:53:45
    DaSingleDaddy
    +1
    what a crock for anyone to assume such a type of thing, so this man in someway endangered the well being of unaccompanied minors? I see nothing that says this guy did anything to warrant such a thing.

Maybe allowing unaccompanied minors to travel this alone is what needs to be addressed, over stereotyping someone in such away.

No, where in this discussion does it say this guy, gave anyone any indication he was or could be a threat to the children on the plane.

However, I strongly believe someone needs to evaluate the female flight attendants, actions and mental state. because for someone to assume a random person be it a man or woman is going to harm another person, based on only the thoughts inside the flight attendants thoughts as she may of actually been the real threat to the children.
  • S123 DaSingl... 2012/08/14 20:28:54
    S123
    Apparently, that's the company policy, so it wasn't the flight attendant's idea. I agree that what was done was wrong, though.
  • D S 2012/08/14 17:43:00 (edited)
    D S
    +3
    Kids should travel in lugage compartment while pets are moved to seats.

I think if the men receive a large enough discount, it's fine.

This airline sould be fined. What a load of crap. Lets hope it hits them in the pocket.
  • Myopinionmatters 2012/08/14 17:36:08
    Myopinionmatters
    +3
    Women molest too. This is an example of feminism going dead wrong.
  • djdog 2012/08/14 17:28:45
    djdog
    +1
    This is sexist assuming since its a guy hes a pedophile u did this to a women u would not hear the end of it if hes not doing any thing wtf is the problem
  • EastIndianFemme 2012/08/14 17:01:07
    EastIndianFemme
    +1
    No, these male perverts shouldn't sitting next to kids at all; unless it is his kid (s)!!
  • djdog EastInd... 2012/08/14 17:29:48
    djdog
    +5
    your a sexist
  • Its Me,... EastInd... 2012/08/14 17:40:34
    Its Me, Joel
    +2
    How do you know That Male was a pervert? Did the airline check if the Female was any kind of a sex offender Before She was seated with them?
  • DaSingl... EastInd... 2012/08/14 18:10:14
    DaSingleDaddy
    +2
    Susan Smith, drove her car into a lake with her kids in it, and drowned them. So, in your dimensional world its safe to say, we can say women shouldn't be allowed anywhere near children or cars, because one sick ass bitch killed her children.

With a mind set and thought process such as yours have children in their care may be there should be an evaluation to determine the safety of the children in your care. Cause you are mentally ill, and very well maybe a threat to any child in your care.
  • Yournewdad DaSingl... 2012/08/14 20:39:15
    Yournewdad
    You are 100% right
  • JackSchitt 2012/08/14 16:49:31
    JackSchitt
    +4
    This is exactly like that story from June where the grandfather got kicked out of the Barnes & Noble because he was alone in the children's section looking for books for his grandsons.

This kind of discrimination would NEVER fly if were against any other group.

grandfather kicked barnes noble childrens books grandsons discrimination fly group
  • Bill G53 ~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/14 16:44:21
    Bill G53  ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Why would a man want to sit next to kids? After reading some of these comments, I'd be jumping up and asking the crew to find me another seat ASAP!

Look... the thing is that us guys are guilty of pedophilia and sexual harassment and inappropriate touching unless we can prove ourselves innocent. That's the facts of life. Just deal with it. Look at the Duke LaCrosse case for example. So if you are sitting on a plane and the plane ride goes without a hitch and at the end you get your stuff and get off and you think the trip is over, right? No it isn't because later the mom picks up her urchins and asks them about the ride and starts pestering them with questions if the guy that sat next to them might have touched them funny. She smells a lawsuit. And she keeps pestering them and keeps pestering them and all they want to do is play their xbox game and finally they tell her "Yes? The dude was stroking my leg. Now shut up Ma." So she goes to call the police and they contact the airline and they track you down and next thing you know there is a knock on your door and the cuffs are slapped on and you have to hire a lawyer and maybe, just maybe, $15,000 later you are found innocent but now you lost your job because all the people where you work are sure your some kind of creep.

Hell ...

Hell NO I don't want to sit next to any little boys or girls. GET ME ANOTHER SEAT FAST!

If a child is touched inappropriately, the victims family will sue the airline. The airline turns it over to their insurance company. So when the airlines have thses policies, I'm pretty sure the policy comes from the insurance company looking to minimize their risks.
  • Lizzeh 2012/08/14 16:33:16
    Lizzeh
    +1
    Why not..?
  • overlord rai 2012/08/14 16:23:47
  • SOUL4REAL 2012/08/14 16:19:24 (edited)
    SOUL4REAL
    I said no because all of the killings and illegal children phonographic,you don't know these people who are on the plane. It's best to be safe then sorry later! Look at what happened at "Penn State"? No parent knew their children were in harm way! No,disrespect to men!

2014/07/22 06:36:51