Should Mattel Create a Bald Barbie Doll?

Most little girls go through a phase where they play with Barbie dolls. And given that she's had every possible career, isn't it time for Barbie to reach out to kids with cancer? A Facebook movement is under way to create a "Bald Barbie" for young girls going through chemotherapy or suffering from other hair loss conditions, the "Today" show reports.

According to the Facebook page, called Beautiful and Bald Barbie!: "We would like to see a Beautiful and Bald Barbie made to help young girls who suffer from hair loss due to cancer treatments, Alopecia or Trichotillomania." The page, which went up in late December, had 98,588 "likes" as of Friday.

"My daughter is battling leukemia right now and she's been going through chemotherapy for the last two years," Beckie Sypin, one of the mothers behind the campaign, told the "Today" show. "We think [a bald Barbie] would be therapeutic and I think it would help baldness become more quote unquote normal."

Mattel issued a statement Thursday: "Mattel appreciates and respects the passion that has been built up for the request for a bald Barbie doll. As you might imagine, we receive hundreds of passionate requests for various dolls to be added to our collection. We take all of them seriously and are constantly exploring new and different dolls to be added to our line." Hmm ... sounds kind of noncommittal. Do you think Mattel should create a Bald Barbie?

• Nicole 2012/01/13 21:55:39
    Nicole
    +25
    Its a little depressing. I mean a kid has cancer and their parents give them a bald barbie? No. Parents will probably get them normal barbies to let their kids feel as normal as possible. I mean you get a sick barbie isn't that rubbing it in that the poor kid has cancer? Idk i just know the last thing i would want if i had cancer would be a bald barbie. I mean im sick, my barbie's sick, is there any hope? Its kinda depressing...

• travele... KallieK... 2012/01/25 05:55:01
    traveler818
    Seriously, how about one in a wheelchair?
  • travele... KallieK... 2012/08/29 00:43:47
    traveler818
    It is great. There was a day when that feeling was toward the idea of a black Barbie. Blacks wanted representation too. And so do those who are "different." Most of them pay or paid their dues and deserve recognition. It really hurts when an 8 year old sees a visible disability on you and runs away terrified. What kind of society does that create? One that says be as impossibly shaped as a Barbie doll or we don't want to see you. Starve if you are hungry because you don't belong...Little girls have often shaved their heads in solidarity with a cancer-stricken classmate. That is a much bigger deal than the doll, and those girls will always know they did something special. Once it catches on, it will eventually be taken for granted by most. No one is forcing anyone to buy one--there's the test.
  • jennifer_55 2012/01/17 22:14:05
    Yes, what a great idea
    jennifer_55
    +4
    it will help girls that have cancer feel better about themselves and not feel offended because they have no hair.
  • travele... jennife... 2012/01/17 23:13:25
    traveler818
    +1
    That's the whole point. Thank you for posting it. I still think wigs are nonoptional, but your point hits the nail on the head.
  • heeheemee 2012/01/17 17:33:02
    Yes, what a great idea
    heeheemee
    +1
    I can't see them putting them on toy store shelves, but they should definitely have them available through special purchase. I don't know how much it would be appreciated, but if people want them, why not? My brown-haired kid only wanted to play with blond-haired Barbie even though she had a brown-haired one. Maybe because I have blond hair? I don't know. I see Barbie as more of a fantasy thing, so I don't know if a kid who is going through something traumatic would want to see that mirrored in her Barbie doll. Not all of us think the same though, so why not have the option available?
  • travele... heeheemee 2012/10/13 05:13:17
    traveler818
    The cancer center is the place. IF someone donated dolls to the center, then the girls can decide if they want one--free.
  • CrazyTexan 2012/01/17 17:01:52
    Yes, what a great idea
    CrazyTexan
    +4
    As a woman fighting cancer. I see this as a positive message. That even though treatment takes away so much, you are still beautiful. To all of you giving raves to this simplton Nicole, you clearly have not been through a cancer battle. You are the people that drain all the hope away, that make cancer so depressing. Stop it . We need hope.
  • travele... CrazyTexan 2012/01/17 19:35:55
    traveler818
    +1
    It's my experience with cancer that would say just what you said. Stop it indeed. It goes beyond cruel. Cancer treatment really takes a lot out of you. I'm learning that many people don't think it's a big deal--educated people among them.
  • CrazyTexan travele... 2012/01/18 17:14:44
    CrazyTexan
    +1
    What's not a big deal? Bald bitch barbie? Callous people that take away hope? Or the fact that cancer patients want to be seen as more than the disease? Please educate me. Clearly I'm too cruel. Being a cancer patient.
  • travele... CrazyTexan 2012/02/01 23:09:41
    traveler818
    +1
    Many people don't think cancer is a big deal. I, too, am a cancer patient, and I think all the education you need is already here. As a child, I would have been thrilled to have a bald Barbie just like me, with accessories, especially wigs. If she can have it either way, where is the problem?

We are also talking about the mindset of a child, who wants, more than anything to fit in. At some schools, I have seen all the girls share their heads in solidarity. The Barbie can serve the same purpose in the hospital. All it takes is for it to become commonplace. People don't like new ideas.
  • MadamAqua2100 2012/01/17 12:05:23
    Yes, what a great idea
    MadamAqua2100
    +2
    I think is a great idea. It would be good if there was a bald Barbie doll for little girls that are going through chemotherapy
  • Stan Weinstein 2012/01/17 11:02:38
    Stan Weinstein
    +3
    Just buy a regular Barbie and scalp her. Problem solved.
  • May 2012/01/17 07:47:28
    Yes, what a great idea
    May
    +1
    Yes, because the kids will want hair like normal girls and their barbie dolls, but because this one has no hair it will make them feel special
  • Rusty's Mom 2012/01/17 05:55:10
    Yes, what a great idea
    Rusty's Mom
    +1
    Yes, I agree that a "bald is beautiful" Barbie can be therapeutic for little girls who lose their hair, and can be an example that may help little girls who are not ill to develop awareness, respect and empathy - qualities we need for girls to develop on their march toward womanhood.
  • Stix 2012/01/17 05:36:33
    Yes, what a great idea
    Stix
    +2
    I thought they already made one...I know I've seen them. Kids!
  • Moh Al-a 2012/01/17 04:23:20
    Yes, what a great idea
    Moh Al-a
    +1
    I hope it will educate kids and it make good outcome.
  • lorraine 2012/01/17 03:48:36
    Yes, what a great idea
    lorraine
    +1
    I played with Barbie when I was a little girl she always had the perfect body! Yes they should make a Barbie Doll bald! These kids need to see a Barbie Doll bald instead always having the perfect hair perfect body! i think it would be a great idea for kids:-)
  • Skar 2012/01/17 03:32:23
    Yes, what a great idea
    Skar
    +1
    Well, I wouldn't go so far to say it's a great idea but I'm certainly not opposed to it. If there is a market and demand for it then I don't see what the harm would be.
  • beethoven 2012/01/17 03:27:15
    Yes, what a great idea
    beethoven
    +2
    I love it that they put on the 'package' that "We girls can do anything!". This is no worse than having a cancer support ribbon on your car. If you explain that you get the doll for the child BECAUSE of the hair loss, then it will help them accept themselves more readily. Think of how many girls want to become a vet, or a doctor, or an artist, or whatever, simply because Barbie has done it. Girl power isn't over yet - and giving a child a doll with hair could give them just as much of a complex as as bald one. Personally, I'd just shave my doll bald. Then pierce her nose, ears, lip, and give her Sharpie tattoos so that she could look like me. But then, hey, that's who I am. Oh, and put her in a sumo suit, since I'm a fat girl :)
  • travele... beethoven 2012/01/17 03:35:21
    traveler818
    +2
    If I were a child with cancer, a Barbie doll with hair would make me cry. One that looked like me would make me feel less alone just because it existed. And I could go through a series of wigs from short to long, to show the progress I want for myself. While she is helping the Barbie doll with the healing process, she is also healing herself.
  • travele... beethoven 2012/01/17 04:03:27
    traveler818
    +1
    The trouble with shaving most dolls I have seen, after a critter gets hold of it, is that the head is full of holes where the hair was attached--kinda morbid. But you are so right about a doll with hair when she is bald. I would actually feel like someone was being mean. With Barbie, they don't need the holes. With wigs, I would have choices. She is usually already wearing a wig or scarf, so she and Barbie can talk about that too.
  • raine 2012/01/17 02:50:34
    raine
    +1
    Well probably fewer girls would like that. Barbie's hair is part of the reason girls want her to style and comb. If the include wigs it may sell.
  • travele... raine 2012/01/17 10:35:44
    traveler818
    +1
    I think Mattel should donate some to one or more kids hospitals who would then donate them to the kids. That would show whether or not this idea would work, but I fear that if it did, they would start charging. If they did, I would hope they donated a portion (large) to cancer research and treatment.
  • travele... raine 2012/01/17 21:32:00
    traveler818
    In my opinion, wigs are essential for this to work. And scarves can be made from fabric remnants, if she wants scarves.
  • ShamshirMkII 2012/01/17 01:11:53
    ShamshirMkII
    +1
    Hmmm.....what's next? Down's Syndrome Barbie, anyone?
  • travele... Shamshi... 2012/01/17 01:23:43
    traveler818
    Aren't we mixing apples and oranges with that? Kids with downs syndrome don't lose their hair, and probably could care less about a doll for them. They would be fine with a regular doll.
  • Shamshi... travele... 2012/01/18 01:40:54
    ShamshirMkII
    I don't know. That's just a foolish assumption of mine, so I could be wrong. Some people nowadays come up with the strangest things IMO.
  • BILL 2012/01/16 23:40:50
    Yes, what a great idea
    BILL
    +1
    And don't forget the tattoos and body piercing's, if you want to have a modern up to date woman you need the complete look, what I mean is a woman that go's for that style, or look, oh crap this is getting worse
  • oreo 2012/01/16 23:10:29
    Yes, what a great idea
    oreo
    +1
    It shows that women are beautiful even without hair
  • Dean Lewis 2012/01/16 22:55:00
    Dean Lewis
    +1
    Its just depressing and stupid. And since when was cancer a career
  • travele... Dean Lewis 2012/01/17 01:24:35
    traveler818
    Huh?
  • Dean Lewis travele... 2012/01/20 23:39:07
    Dean Lewis
    It says barbie has had loads of careers so why cant she have cancer
  • travele... Dean Lewis 2012/01/21 01:41:13
    traveler818
    The huh refers to your reply that said when was cancer a career? Where do you see that?

As for this comment it is a point well-taken--it sure humanizes Barbie, and, if they handle it right, Mattel.
  • brittany 2012/01/16 22:42:58
    Yes, what a great idea
    brittany
    i've seen numerous kids talk to their doll like they're relating to it on a self level. if a child has cancer, who better to tell of your secrets and issues to than a doll that's going through the same thing. this could help some little girls with no hair, get through what they are going through
  • travele... brittany 2012/01/21 01:43:14
    traveler818
    +1
    And let them say what they might not say to an adult. As an adult, I talk to my beanie baby. It helps when I don't want to be blind-sided or there's no one around.
  • Dean Lewis travele... 2012/01/27 16:10:02
    Dean Lewis
    I like the word beanie
  • Philbo 2012/01/16 22:40:14
    Yes, what a great idea
    Philbo
    +1
    Why not, you can have it that who ever buys it, 50% of the funds go into taking care of all them kidz
  • Philbo Philbo 2012/01/16 22:41:49
    Philbo
    +1
    and also I think the idea isn't that the barbie is sick with you but that it's not that bad being bald, if barbie's bald and beautiful then you can be bald and beautiful.
  • travele... Philbo 2012/01/17 03:42:49
    traveler818
    if barbie is bald and beautiful, so can the child. Yes. And it would make it much less of stigma to lose your hair if there were dolls like that out there. Men shave their heads, as do some women. I see it as making her feel less different, and with the wigs, letting her heal the doll, not be sick with it. And if she shares at playtime, other kids will get the idea, and as adults, should they get cancer (please let there be a cure by then), they would have learned as a child that it is OK to be bald. Many people already shave their heads.
  • travele... Philbo 2012/01/17 03:36:21
    traveler818
    Yes yes yes.

2014/10/26 03:19:44