Should I have my son tested for the GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) Program?

Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2011/09/07 17:06:21
He is nine years old and reads at a Freshman grade level. He is also way above grade level in Math.

On his CRT's (standardized testing) he made perfect scores and was the highest performing student in his school.

I know he is super smart and he is socially adept, so do I just let him do his thing, or have him tested?

highest performing student school nbsp super smart socially adept tested

• Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/09/07 17:12:00 (edited)
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +7
    I was in a similar program. My teachers had surmised correctly that I was bored. He will tire rapidly of the curriculum for fourth graders, if that's his grade. If he is
    socially adept, I don't think that a more challenging curriculum will hurt him. If he hates it you can always remove him.

• eg 2012/11/12 21:24:18
    eg
    +1
    Look......I'm in 6th grade right now and I've been in GATE. For your son to have perfect scores in everything he should go to GATE ( though not surprised CRT are very easy especially for kids like him and me)!

P.S. If he's that smart ( he seems like he would be a lot smarter than me) has he "jumped " a grade?
  • Melicio... eg 2012/11/12 21:50:29
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    No, he has not jumped a grade. :/ Do you like GATE?
  • Mikiyas 2011/12/06 02:21:37
    Mikiyas
    +1
    I think your son should show off. I know because it helped my child when she was small. Now she is the head of her class. :) ;)
  • La 2011/10/14 03:51:50
    La
    +1
    If you can get him into a program where they will keep him interested in learning and keep him challenged, do it. Gifted kids get bored with school so easily.
  • hasher 2011/10/01 20:09:29
    hasher
    +2
    its up to you cant hurt. smart kid. my son is special ed. and a slow learner but hes a great kid. every child is different can probably only be determined by testing. i was very smart in school too.
  • Melicio... hasher 2011/10/01 21:42:16 (edited)
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    Some of the sweetest, kindest children are in special ed.
  • MadAsHEck 2011/10/01 19:25:18 (edited)
    MadAsHEck
    +2
    Our Great Grandaughter was pretty much the same, and beginning to hate school at age 8. They had her tested and moved into that type or program, and she now is way ahead of her peers, and will probably graduate High School 2 years ahead of them.

She already is looking to go to college on a Music Scholarship, is a very talented Classical Violinist.
  • Lynn 2011/10/01 17:23:25
    Lynn
    +2
    Nothing wrong with it... But temper your expectations. Early success in academia is no gaurantee that your child will be any more successful in life later on.

My youngest was uber smart too, but instead of putting her in the GAT group, she just did her work faster. She finished 4 years of high school in only 3, graduating the same year as her older sister and was never not on the honor role.
  • Andy 2011/10/01 14:36:34
    Andy
    +1
    sure...
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2011/10/01 14:29:20
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +2
    Have him tested, but monitor what they're teaching in the program. My kids were both in talented & gifted programs throughout their school careers and because of this, were able to take college classes in high school. Gave them credits going into college, a bit of a head start. It also helped combat the boredom they experienced in regular classes!
  • TruBluTopaz 2011/10/01 13:16:28
    TruBluTopaz
    +3
    It's always worth seeing what a child has going on. My older two were in TAG (Talented and Gifted) programs and the teachers who know what they are doing can set up learning opportunities that take these children's skills into consideration. Teachers who are not trained will simply give your child more of the same work the other kids are getting. But when you do this, also consider his birthdate. Boys tend to lag emotionally behind girls and boys born in the summer are sometimes emotionally at a disadvantage when put into situations where they are singled out for good or bad. A good counselor if you can find one, can give you more insight.
  • Melicio... TruBluT... 2011/10/01 14:45:36
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    His Birthday is December 25
  • TruBluT... Melicio... 2011/10/01 16:55:06
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    That's in the middle of the year, so he's probably one of the older kids in his class. It's boys with late spring and summer birthdays that often have problems simply due to maturity. It may also be that the rest of his class is younger which could shape how the teacher gears her lessons. You could always go the route of getting enrichment classes like Kumon or such outside of school. Many colleges have programs for kids like this and sometimes homeschool groups will allow outsiders to participate in their activities.
  • Melicio... TruBluT... 2011/10/01 16:59:24
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    I was glad that he got to start school at a bit older than the other boys. It has been immensely helpful. Thanks for the information.
  • S. Gompers 2011/10/01 12:50:37
    S. Gompers
    +3
    Go for it.
  • cassidysf 2011/09/14 20:53:16
    cassidysf
    +4
    sure,
    why not?
    i was in that program for four years.
    when i was seven i read at a 10th grade level.
    i just thought i would brag about that.
  • Philo® ... cassidysf 2011/10/01 14:30:27
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +2
    Good on ya!
  • Minus 2011/09/11 04:06:17
    Minus
    +2
    Now, when I see the word GATE in capital letters it makes me think of Prisonbreak! mmmm Schofield..... :D
  • Missa Monstrosity 2011/09/11 03:37:09
    Missa Monstrosity
    +3
    yes! it's a great program i've been in since 2nd grade. it will give your son amazing opportunities for jobs, colleges, and many organizations :) it will put him a few steps above other kids, but It will be worth it! I met tons of new people through this program! it's great!
    +4
    Not sure how your school district does these things ...

But way, way back when .. I was in the predecessor of the Gifted/Talented Programs (and that was based on school assessment .. my parents didn't have to ask .. I was put there because .. rightfully .. the teachers knew I was bored .. already knew the work .. and could easily go through grades fast ..)

And in the case of my children .. it also was quite evident they were bored, already doing above grade level .. and needed the extra challenges ..

Depending on the age when identified .. those Gifted/Talented Programs are really enriching ..
    My two went to another school for the day for targeted enrichment in the Math/Sciences .. learned chess (in fact, played in tournaments) .. loved the Academic Teams .. enjoyed the mental challenges and also enjoyed Collegiate High (where they attended College Classes as high Schoolers) .. just had a blast in those classes, made good friends and enjoyed earning those early College Credits too!
    +1
    The asking is handled by different states. My daughter went through a noumber og f earlie years . My family did not ever ask suddenly without any efforting in the 5th grade and Bang-o She waz in.
    zzzzzzyou know as a teacjher my self ad a special educator at that..... I still have no idea how the selection y=takes place.
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2011/09/08 23:58:09
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +3
    I'm not familiar with the program, but if it's just a test to start with you might as well.

What are your concerns?
  • Pocahontas 2011/09/08 18:01:38
    Pocahontas
    +1
    if he wants that...
  • Hsmagst 2011/09/08 08:08:35
  • FlavoredConcept 2011/09/08 05:42:28
    FlavoredConcept
    +2
    I didn't even test for it and was in it... o_o
    but you don't even do anything when you're in the program. yes, a few field trips here and there but i haven't really done anything since being in it (since...3rd/4th grade?)
    it's really up to you and him.
  • ruru Flavore... 2011/09/09 01:50:42
    ruru
    +1
    My daughter was in it, and I agree it was much to do about nothing.
  • pjwinkler65 2011/09/08 04:30:21
    pjwinkler65
    +1
    His mentality is the same. He is a kid and life is not all homework and remembering to dry behind your ears after a certain age. Don't rob him of that brief period of time when you just get to be a kid. Not to mention the pressure he might be under to maintain that performance level.
    I feel that it would rob him of some of his time to be innocent and expose him to undue stress.
    Do you want a small adult for a kid? Will turning him into that achieve your own life goals or his? And in the end, he won't be a more successful adult because he got there sooner.
    I don't like it.
  • Melicio... pjwinkl... 2011/09/08 14:37:45
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    I have considered this. But I am not sure a few hours a week is going to take away his innocence or change his attitude making him more mature than he is. I have no worries that he will become a "little adult". I know kids like this, and this just isn't who he is.

As for my goals or his? It is his. Last year before school ended he talked to me about it and he has asked me every day since school has started to talk to his teacher. I am not sure he fully understands what he is asking for. I think he just likes the idea of going to another school for few hours.
  • cassidysf Melicio... 2011/09/14 21:07:36
    cassidysf
    +2
    i have to say that keeping him behind will affect him.
    he will be stuck with less mature kids and have to go through really slow and boring classes.
    GATE is there to keep the smarter kids going.
    kids who are ahead of there students tend to have a harder time in the lower classes.
    i think that giving him this option is giving him the chance to reach his full potential.
    and i was in GATE,
    from 3rd to 6th grade.
    i know what its like.
    its not hard if you can actually do it.
    it will be just like regular school.
    and if your son cant handle it,
    then just take him out.
    that happened to a lot of my classmates while i was in there.
    and i have been stuck in classes that were too low for me.
    it gets very hard to concentrate and you get irritated when you know that you know this stuff, but you still have to go along with the class.
    it will by no means whatsoever turn him into a "small adult".
    its just going to give him the curriculum and the ability to succeed.
    but it is your choice.
    that was just my opinion.
    i really think you should at least just give it a try.
  • ImageBandit ~ American Patriot 2011/09/08 03:47:12
    ImageBandit ~ American Patriot
    +2
    my son was the model and first student in the indianapolis school system magnet program for gifted children
  • Melicio... ImageBa... 2011/09/08 03:47:47
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    awesome!
  • ImageBa... Melicio... 2011/09/08 03:52:20
    ImageBandit ~ American Patriot
    +2
    yep he is an awesome kid - he is a lawyer now - but he dosent put people in jail
  • trader 2011/09/08 03:45:13
    trader
    +1
    Start saving for college now or, the other option, buy him a football.
  • Melicio... trader 2011/09/08 03:46:58
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    He loves football, but prefers Martial Arts.... and we have been saving for college since I got pregnant, it still wont be enough, but it should help. I hope.
  • trader Melicio... 2011/09/11 01:38:32
    trader
    +2
    Good luck to him.
  • Melicio... trader 2011/09/11 18:30:52
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    Thanks so much.
  • Anna E 2011/09/08 03:30:15
    Anna E
    +3
    Sure, Hon! Ask him if he'd like to. :D
  • leslie 2011/09/08 03:24:45
    leslie
    +1
    The only reason that I'm voting no, is because I don't inherently believe that "Gifted" Programs benefit the child in the long run. Right Now.....he's the smartest kid in the class, but what if like carrotcat he would fail, it might do more harm than good to him. By telling him he is "gifted" if the expectations have been set too high and he encounters failure that could do more harm than good.
  • carrotcat 2011/09/08 03:19:20 (edited)
    carrotcat
    +1
    I HATE GATE testing-with a passion! The first time they made me take those silly tests was in fourth grade... and I failed! (Seriously 80 plus questions in like 30 minutes? Also the questions were VERY easy and multiple choice, I had no idea why I didn't pass). I'm currently a sophomore in high school and those GATE test follow me year after year, even when I fail. I'm tired of GATE, it's nothing special. You get no credit or moved up a year or anything. I'm in National Honor Society- which will bring me more college credential than GATE.
  • ♀☛Inuyasha~Is~MINE☚ 2011/09/08 02:32:47
    ♀☛Inuyasha~Is~MINE☚
    +2
    I was that smart at nine, too!!
    smart I m smart  funny

2014/04/21 09:40:16