Should I give up Karate?

Crime Time 2012/04/14 05:06:59

Winter has proven really bad for me and I'm trying to recover from S.A.D. which includes massive laziness for me. I hardly worked out this winter and this past summer I done lots of stretching and stuff. Recently I've been given an opportunity to take pro classes but I've seemed to lose interest in it, my dad says I can't do it and... I don't know. Recently I was threatened and feel I should have the skills just in case someday but I also think I'll abuse my power somehow because people really get to where they piss me off and I don't want to break an oath. What with my family though, well some of my family not all, I will break that oath badly. What should I do?

• Gunner 2012/04/14 07:56:49
    Gunner
    +6
    Don't give up... & Karate will teach u self control, it's so good for u & u shouldn't waste the opportunity

• Jammer 2012/04/20 03:26:17
    Jammer
    +1
    really think about it. A martial art should be more to you then a way to protect yourself. It should be away to mold yourself in and out and be a part of a dieing art. I take Danzan Ryu Jujutsu and it has done wonders for not only my body(recovering still from a car accident 6 years ago... yeah i know.. 6years? it was a really bad car accident) and it has put me more at ease with myself and a person. I know control, i know discipline and i know confidence. but i am still learning... i will always be learning. once you stop learning you ahve stopped caring. :) I had to stop after i threw a blood clot in my lung and i honestly missed it. I went back and felt so much better. Sometimes you jsut have to power through the bad days. Sometimes I don't want to get on the mat. I just want to stay home and be lazy or depressed or what have you, but i push myself and go and i always am thankful for it. I always feel much better when I go. Don't giveup on it. If you aren't ready for pro classes stay at your current dojo and class. Keep your chin up :) I know you will find your answer
  • Maleficent 2012/04/19 19:14:31
    Isn't it your choice?
    Maleficent
    +1
    if you're losing interest in it. then just quit.
  • Crime Time Maleficent 2012/04/19 19:22:55
  • Maleficent Crime Time 2012/04/19 19:41:43
  • Crime Time Maleficent 2012/04/20 03:33:21
  • Maleficent Crime Time 2012/04/20 13:02:37
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/04/17 22:24:12
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    Part of the training is also to learn restraint and too temper your action and be at peace inwardly. We you have sufficient skills you will have no need to use them as you will have learned control.
  • Liliana 2012/04/16 02:58:18
    Liliana
    +1
    you never know when you need it for self defense..especially now days!!
  • MissGates 2012/04/16 00:30:10
    MissGates
    +1
    If you like it, do it.
    Karate can be useful on so many levels, so i say you keep on going :) But only you can really know what you want to do!
  • PhillipDavis 2012/04/15 21:50:05
  • Lonely girl 2012/04/15 10:59:06
    Lonely girl
    +1
    It's really up to you. I know that martial arts can be very demanding but in the end I think the discipline that it teaches you is worth it in the long run. It can also help with the "getting pissed off" because in advanced classes you would learn when to use your skill. Plus it could be an excellent outlet for any pinned up anxiety. Think about and make your own decision. After all you know yourself best. Good luck.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/04/15 04:03:56
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    If it's your passion and you like doing and without getting injure, then Cheers! Keep doing what you like to do, because only so you'll find your life more rewarding.(:
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/04/15 03:16:04
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Hang in there. The body mind spirit connection will strengthen you.
  • Charles R. Anderson 2012/04/15 01:59:10
    Isn't it your choice?
    Charles R. Anderson
    +1
    But it seems you need most to concentrate on becoming a rational and responsible person.
  • Red Branch 2012/04/15 01:21:43
    Red Branch
    +2
    It provides focus and discipline, plus it gets you out of the house and into contact with people when you are distancing yourself from others.
    Physical activity works against SAD.

I would suggest skipping the pro-classes at this point and until your heart is in it again. You may get hurt if your mind is not in the training. That is you will increase the odds of getting hurt.

Abuse of power, maybe, maybe not. Remember your oath and your responsibility to others.
    Remember Zimmerman, even if he is acquitted his life is ruined.
  • Willski 2012/04/14 22:29:18
    Willski
    +1
    i know i did... but that's because if i'd continued i'd have been expected to travel moderate distances to try for my black belt. I'm too lazy for that.
    But after 8 years or something i found it still wasn't fun, or interesting, and that all that crap about it teaching self control was a load of crap. Along with the fact that in practice, i probably wouldn't use it for self defence, self preservation would supercede it. And common fighting techniues for the common crowd seem to revolve mostly around grappling, or atleast grabbing, and karate (or atleast the permutation i was taught) generally required more maneuvering room that that allows.

But it really depends on what you do it for. If it's just for self defense, then once you've learned the moves, you don't really need to do lessons. (although probably need to continue practicing yourself) if you want to go competitive, then go for it. But ultiimately it's your decision.
  • oceangrl 2012/04/14 21:50:12
    Isn't it your choice?
    oceangrl
    +1
    don't go by what other people say, its your own decision and yours alone, nobody should makes your decisions for you...its your life, do whatever you want with it :)
  • animelover123 2012/04/14 20:54:06
    animelover123
    +1
    Kick ass
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2012/04/14 20:22:03
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +1
    As someone who suffered from depression most of my life, and still struggles with it despite treatment - I'm here to tell you that exercise is a very good adjunct treatment for depression. Inertia is a symptom of depression, and getting out there and being active - particularly if it's something you like - is very therapeutic.

It is my understanding that part of karate training is mental - in terms of how to use your skills, and how to not fight even though you have skills. Use this. But get out there and do something physical that you like - or love. It will help you. It may take a little time, but I guarantee you'll feel better. If your routine has become boring, I'm sure your instructor will help you find a way to make it better.
  • Kyle 2012/04/14 20:17:44
    Kyle
    +1
    Martial art's teaches you self-control and discipline, my father told me that when he was younger he used to get into fights a lot. Then he took up Ninjitsu and he hasn't gotten into a fight since then.
  • gkirmani 2012/04/14 20:13:48
    gkirmani
    it is useless because you cant bea me anywhere
  • Jackal 2012/04/14 19:51:29
    Isn't it your choice?
    Jackal
    +1
    But I say no...

Martial Arts is only 20% physical and 80% Mental. Martial Artist uses his art in every aspect of his life.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2012/04/14 18:59:36
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    +1
    Karate can help with your discipline and self-control. Also look into studying other martial arts. If you easily get mad practice a calming martial arts kata or get your agression/frustration out through vigerous exercise or beating the crap out of a punching bag at the gym. Eventually you'll learn to harness all the frustrations and anger into a focused intensity that will sharpen you and you'll be able to master it instead of it mastering you. Once you have learned this then you will be one step closer to letting all your anger and frustration float away with merely a thought.
  • Black Mohawk Man 2012/04/14 18:46:39
    Black Mohawk Man
    +1
    You do Karate?? So do I??
  • Thank you but no... 2012/04/14 18:40:40
    Isn't it your choice?
    Thank you but no...
    +2
    TL;DNR
  • Pele Emerging 2012/04/14 17:54:13
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    Ultimately, I believe the karate will help you with the SAD. I suffer from it, too, so I understand, but actually getting out and doing something with the body helps the mind, as well.
  • ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own 2012/04/14 17:52:24 (edited)
    Isn't it your choice?
    ♚Littlɘ Ǫuɘɘn~Phaet's Own
    +2
    If it were my choice, I'd force you to take it year-round, just for the love of it, and become a 3rd degree Black Belt Master who never worries about anyone threatening his safety or suffers from Season Affective Disorder.

Yep. If I had my way, you'd turn your body and mind into a ultra-fit, healthy, trained fighting machine.
  • Chaya2010 2012/04/14 17:33:09
    Chaya2010
    +2
    I would just give yourself some time to get over the way you feel either with psychological help and/or medication. A good and healthy diet combined with exercise produce 'feel good' endorphin. It would also be a waste not to take something you've invested time and effort in without taking it as far as you can. Try not to live with what ifs and maybes :))
  • ruthannhausman 2012/04/14 17:06:59
    ruthannhausman
    +2
    Take something a little more disciplinary along the anger management lines. You shouldn't hone your skills too sharply until you are able to control yourself properly. Martial arts are good for discipline, etc., but evidently you need a little more specific training to control your temper. As you are fully aware, martial arts are not a laughing matter, they are deadly serious.

Right now you are probably pretty good at acting out anger situations in your mind. How about taking that act totally to its full end; i.e., getting mad at somebody who really bugs the heck out of you, getting him pinned down after many excellent moves, and then beating him to death. Then picture yourself looking over the body of that person until you realize he's no longer breathing. Picture his loved ones being told that he is dead and your loved ones being told that you killed somebody. And then picture being arrested, handcuffed, humiliated in body searches, locked behind ugly iron cell doors and awaiting a visit from a lawyer, which you probably can't afford and your parents have to borrow on their retirement for. Then go through the courtroom drama. Whether or not you choose to go to trial or to take a plea, you still must allocute in open court as to precisely what you did, how you did i...

Right now you are probably pretty good at acting out anger situations in your mind. How about taking that act totally to its full end; i.e., getting mad at somebody who really bugs the heck out of you, getting him pinned down after many excellent moves, and then beating him to death. Then picture yourself looking over the body of that person until you realize he's no longer breathing. Picture his loved ones being told that he is dead and your loved ones being told that you killed somebody. And then picture being arrested, handcuffed, humiliated in body searches, locked behind ugly iron cell doors and awaiting a visit from a lawyer, which you probably can't afford and your parents have to borrow on their retirement for. Then go through the courtroom drama. Whether or not you choose to go to trial or to take a plea, you still must allocute in open court as to precisely what you did, how you did it, all the way up to the victim is now dead.

Do I need to go any further? Do you honestly think that losing your temper over something that your brain should have been sharp enough to control is worth losing your freedom for a minimum of 10 years, perhaps even 25 or the rest of your life? Being told what to do, allowed no freedom of choice in anything you choose to do, go to bed when you're told, get up when you're told. And, oh, the noise.

Whatever you decide to do with your life, Sonny, remember that it will be your choice. Think carefully before you make your decision and then go for it, but always remember to smell the roses along the way. Life is going to hand you some bad stuff as you go along, it always does, you just have to know that it's your responsibility to get up, wipe the dust off your clothes and move on, preferably with a smile!

But please do take care of your emotional stability first and foremost. Get a strong grip on it and then go out and have a wonderful, pleasant life.

P.S. Above advice, of course, does not pertain to legitimate, legal, honest self-defense. Remember that too.
  • Dave0626 2012/04/14 16:28:52
    Dave0626
    +3
    Give up the external martial arts form and study the internal forms such as:
    T'ai Chi Ch'uan, Hsing-I Ch'uan, Pa-Kua Chang, and Chi Kung
    You will be much better off...
    http://www.chiflow.com/html/g...
  • ID51 2012/04/14 15:56:16 (edited)
    Isn't it your choice?
    ID51
    +2
    I also have a tendancy to be completely unmotivated when the weather is cold and gray. That being said, don't let anyone else define you. If you like karate, do it. If I had listened to some who said that at my age, Zumba was not a good idea, I would not be contemplating going for instructor certification next month. I would not weigh 2 pounds less than I did 10 years ago - for a weight loss of 32 lbs. Doesn't sound like much, but when you're a short person - it is. It never hurts to be able to defend oneself. When I found myself widowed and living 100 ft from open desert, I went and got gun training, bought one, and joined a shooting team for women. Do what's best for you. Define yourself. And, have a good time doing it!
  • Dude 2012/04/14 15:53:07
    Dude
    +2
    Quit Karate and get a good stun gun. There is no oath involved with that so when they "piss you off" you can knock them on their ass and watch them flip around like a fish just pulled into the boat. On top of that they probubly won't die so you can wait a couple of minutes and hit them again. I think you'll find this will greatly improve your mood. ENJOY!
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/04/14 15:42:07
    Isn't it your choice?
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +2
    Karate offers many benefits for the body, mind, and spirit. I say stick to it. Work at it long enough, you'll have just the right colored belt to go with any outfit...
  • Dynasty Fighter 2012/04/14 15:41:24
    Dynasty Fighter
    +2
    If someone messes with you kick heir ass
  • Crime Time Dynasty... 2012/04/15 04:26:32
  • Jan Nel 2012/04/14 15:38:54
    Jan Nel
    +3
    any form of self defense is good to know.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/04/14 15:38:40
    Elaine Magliacane
    +2
    You need the discipline and probably should discuss with your karate instructor/mentor about your feelings... it you practice and get in shape, you may find your aggressive feelings abate with strenuous exercise (you'll be too tired)... in the end it's your choice.
  • Burning Bright Embers 2012/04/14 15:37:01
    Burning Bright Embers
    +3
    If you enjoy it, no.
  • HippiesKnowAll 2012/04/14 15:36:58
    HippiesKnowAll
    +3
    I think karate is supposed to teach you self-discipline. It's your decision. Good luck :)
  • Dagon 2012/04/14 15:32:20

2014/07/24 17:54:03