Should Humanists Oppose Male Circumcision?

jes constantine 2012/09/06 15:52:42

• jaimason92 2012/09/12 01:21:34
    Yes. Circumcision is a religious practice, and children should make the decis...
    jaimason92
    +3
    It's not acceptable to carve your religion into anyone's penis except your own.

• Stan 2012/11/28 19:37:04
    Stan
    As I stated on another page that stated the US will loose billions in healthcare costs if the trend to not circumcise baby boys continues:

"Funny how many in this string of comments appear to know so little on the subject! But that is to be expected.

First, the study ecouraging circumcision mentioned is but one, the results of which are summarily tossed out the proverbial window when one looks at dozens of far more impartial studies! Follow the dollars!

Secondly, I went through it in my late 20's after yrs of having lots of sex, and have had lots since, so I'm fairly well qualified to state that if people had even a remote idea of what sex feels like after circumcision compared to before, it would be gone by 6am tomorrow morning! Period! What it feels like is not even close to what it feels like before.

The problem as that it is usually done to infants, thereby safely (and mercifully!) removing any possible frame of reference. Yes, the human brain is plastic enough to adapt, deal with that loss and go on, but how sad is it that circumcised men will never have ANY idea of what it felt like had their bodies been left as they were at birth, and that the women they are with know that they can never be physically enjoyed as much either?... I hope sad enough to cause people to think before subjecting their babies to such a loss!"
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2012/09/19 20:09:39 (edited)
  • erica.lyn.520 2012/09/12 03:03:33
    erica.lyn.520
    +2
    His Body, His Choice...enough said.
  • richard.scalper 2012/09/12 01:38:46
    richard.scalper
    +2
    They brand men like a herd of cows. "Neonatal post-traumatic stress disorder" -- the recurrent American nightmare for boys. American men are such wimps to let their sons be subjected to this absurd surgery. If it were women tied down & cut, the Feminists would be howling all over the world. The male genitals are a cheap commodity. There is no argument too absurd for the circumcisers. They insult the appearance of the intact penis, claim that circumcision heals everything from body warts to HIV, and draw an illogical distinction between female & male genitals. It will be up to merciful mothers to spare their sons this humiliation. With a few exceptions, most circumcised men are so defensive they’ll never own up to their loss. Circumcision is the mark of a slave, not a free man.

Top Ten Tortures Less Painful Than Circumcision

10. Get waterboarded.
    9. Pull out your fingernails.
    8. Eat a pile of steaming bear crap.
    7. Skin yourself alive.
    6. Fall into a vat of molten iron.
    5. Get run over by a train.
    4. Go through a sausage grinder.
    3. Saw off your legs.
    2. Poke out your eyes.
    1. Go To Hell

~Dick-Scalper.
  • jaimason92 2012/09/12 01:21:34
    jaimason92
    +3
  • Circumcision Resources 2012/09/12 01:06:36
    Circumcision Resources
    +2
    His body, his penis, his choice. Not one national medical association in the world recommends routine infant circumcision. Not the AAP, not even Israel where there is a huge Jewish (circumcising) majority! It is time to give our baby boys the same protection as our baby girls! You wouldn't cut off a baby's earlobe or toe nail. There is NO EXCUSE to cut off the most sensitive body port of a boy, forever reducing his sexual pleasure!
  • Arthur W. silver, M.D. M.P.H. 2012/09/08 05:36:57
    No. Parents should have the right to decide for the child, and there are medi...
    Arthur W. silver, M.D. M.P.H.
    As a secular humanist I demand respect for my beliefs and I feel obligated to respect strongly held beliefs by others no matter if I disagree. If a parent feels ritual circumcision is important to his/her beliefs it is a practice safely done for centuries and actually has some medical benefits. As humanists we should not demand agreement with our beliefs, no matter how strongly held.
  • jaimason92 Arthur ... 2012/09/12 01:22:30
    jaimason92
    +4
    So, the child's beliefs count for nothing is what you're saying.
  • Jeff 2012/09/06 23:48:22
    Jeff
    +1
    Cicumcision is a religious practice for some parents, an aesthetic preference for other parents, a potentially health-promoting practce in the minds of other parents, and, I suppose, an expression of anti-sexual and mildly sadistic attitudes among others. There are probably a number of other categories I am too lazy to identify. It should definitely not be endorsed unthinkingly.
  • rmathisen Jeff 2012/09/09 14:33:10
    rmathisen
    And yet (understandably so) the "victims" tend to think it is AOK and not controversial at all.
    The human ability to rationalize one's own shortcomings into something "right" and "acceptable" is interesting to observe.
    I know, I do it myself in other areas, I'm sure.
    What I would appeal the proponents of circumcision to do, is to try to consider the matter without being biased as they are as circumcised.
    If that is possible.
  • Cunning Stunts 2012/09/06 17:18:13
    Cunning Stunts
    +1
    Basically you may as well chop of on of their arms.

Sure they can still function but not as well as normal.

It is an issue of consent, pure and simple.
  • Simeon~thegayliberal 2012/09/06 17:15:05
    Simeon~thegayliberal
    +1
    As a humanist, yes, I think they should oppose it, unless it's a medical necessity, such as in the case of phimosis.
  • Ricardo... Simeon~... 2013/05/27 02:39:37
    RicardoD Diaz
    Phimosis is an imaginary "disorder" concocted by US medicine to "catch the ones who got by" and threaten the hegemony of the practice. Inner foreskin (mucosa) and glans are bonded at birth by synechia. Synechia begins to break down by age 5 or 6, but some boys mature much more slowly than others and a few can't fully retract before 18 or 19 (median age is about 10.7 years, so half before that, half after). In Europe, South America, East Asia they've always known this and leave it alone for a boy to take care of in his own good time. Most circumcised males have a pitted glans (if you look closely) because ripping it loose from synechia for child circumcision pulls out some of the glans itself. Mucosa and synechia attached to it are sold to cosmetic companies, who put it in facial creams (no worry there about foreskin causing cancer!!!!).

2014/12/20 20:14:46