Should Hugging Be Banned at School?

First it was skinny jeans, now it's hugging. More than 900 students at a New Jersey middle school have been told not to hug each other anymore following some "incidents of unsuitable, physical interactions," NBC reported.

Matawan-Aberdeen Middle School Principal Tyler Blackmore reportedly made an announcement that students were in a "no hugging school." But School Superintendent David Healy backtracked a bit. "There is no policy specific to hugging, and we have not, nor will we be, suspending students for hugging," he said in a written statement.

"It is unfortunate that there are those who find purpose and humor in sensationalizing such a routine school-related issue at the expense and inconvenience of our children and our school community," Healy added, stating that the district has the responsibility to teach children about appropriate interactions, and that the principal acted responsibly.

Not everyone agrees. "It makes our school look bad, and it makes our school look like we do more than hug, but we do not," one student said, according to NBC. We can see how it's important to teach kids about "appropriate interactions," but hugging is (usually) totally harmless. Do you agree?

• overdog001 2012/03/23 23:30:14
    No, that's ridiculous
    overdog001
    +56
    Don't hug. Don't emote. Don't wear nice clothing. Don't express yourself. Don't talk out of turn. Don't get ahead of the class. Be good little robot drones for the State.

• Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/03/23 23:02:24
    No, that's ridiculous
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +1
    I wouldn't have a problem with innocent hugging but it sometimes turns to groping. Where do you draw the line? When I was in school, a 100 years ago, we weren't allowed to engage in any PDA. I've noticed that children hug each other more than they used to and I wondered if they really like each other better than we did or what?
  • Bcounted Gracie ... 2012/03/23 23:30:02
    Bcounted
    +2
    You simply punish the groper.

As to: "I've noticed that children hug each other more than they used to and I wondered if they really like each other better than we did or what?"

Who cares the more they hug the less they shoot.

Bcounted.

• Nancy~P... Bcounted 2012/03/23 23:42:44
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    +1
    Yes we try to teach to love one another but don't show it wink wink :-)
  • Gracie ... Bcounted 2012/03/24 00:48:49
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +2
    Where is the line between a hug and a grope. I've been hugged by men that was polite and I've been hugged where it's nothing but a grope. It's hard to divide between the two and I'm sure the school was obviously having some sort of problem. We weren't allowed to display affection when I was in school and we weren't shooting each other either.
  • smitty Gracie ... 2012/03/26 19:49:06 (edited)
    smitty
    +1
    Back in my years I do not recall any shootings that took place in the schools.
  • Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL 2012/03/23 23:00:24
    No, that's ridiculous
    Nancy~PWCM~JLA~POTL
    +2
    might as well go to school like this and here is the uniform suit of armour
    ENOUGH already
  • Bcounted Nancy~P... 2012/03/23 23:35:45
    Bcounted
    +1
    Wait, I find that uniform offensive. Sorry, they will use the uniform god gave them. That almost sounds perverted ... hope you get the correct point. Oh, I should not have said anything ... it's simply not politically correct. Where are we heading people?

By the way ... great uniform
    Bcounted.
  • Bilingual required sucks 2012/03/23 22:59:16
    No, that's ridiculous
    Bilingual required sucks
    +1
    This is America not some friggin Islamic State.
  • cutter's falls 2012/03/23 22:59:13
  • Teri- O... cutter'... 2012/03/23 23:13:24
    Teri- Oregon
    +2
    the old system didn't say anything about hugging ,holding hands, or kissing. so are you for or against, i'm confussed.
  • cutter'... Teri- O... 2012/03/23 23:19:14
  • smitty cutter'... 2012/03/26 19:51:19
    smitty
    +1
    Whacked out is an understatement. When it is preached, there will be no tolerance. Then a student threatens to kill a teacher and the student is not expelled something is whacked.
  • Bcounted Teri- O... 2012/03/23 23:41:03
    Bcounted
    +1
    Sorry, it not politically correct to be for or against something, what are they teaching you in skool?
    Bcounted.
    yes no maybe
  • Bocephus cutter'... 2012/03/23 23:49:14
  • cutter'... Bocephus 2012/03/23 23:55:04
  • smitty cutter'... 2012/03/26 19:52:31
    smitty
    But aren't some men women and some women men now? It isn't fair!
  • 13_JunkyardDog 2012/03/23 22:58:40
    No, that's ridiculous
    13_JunkyardDog
    +2
    That's how I met the love of my life, I could tell from the get go she was something special by the way she hugged me
  • rand 2012/03/23 22:58:39
    rand
    +2
    The fine line between sexualized hugs and simple expressions of affection make hugs difficult to monitor. At my schools we simplified the problem by saying "no" except on supervised occasions, like graduation and the like.
  • Anthony... rand 2012/03/23 23:02:00
    Anthony Souls
    +3
    That's like saying that we should outlaw our constitutional rights because some people can abuse them and because of that, there is too much grayness for them to exist: so we have to do the extreme, and do away with all freedoms... That is preposterous :P
  • rand Anthony... 2012/03/23 23:15:32
    rand
    +1
    So we should then allow sex in public?
  • Anthony... rand 2012/03/23 23:20:08
    Anthony Souls
    +1
    Does your absurdity know no bounds? :P

How does standing up for our constitutional rights equate sex in public? :P
  • rand Anthony... 2012/03/23 23:34:17
    rand
    +2
    The constitution doesn't guarantee fondling in schools either.
  • sami Anthony... 2012/03/25 04:42:47
    sami
    +1
    What kind of hug would you do if your Grandparents or Parents were standing in the hall of the school ... I don't think it would be the hug that goes on and on till one or both of the students are late or the hug that ends up with the guys hand slipping in the back of the girls jeans ... Hugs have gotten so out of hand in our schools here that something needs to be done ... Parents pay taxes for schools to teach their children, not for schools to allow the students to dumb down their brains and just party ... Hug after school and be on time to class ...
  • Teri- O... rand 2012/03/23 23:14:12
    Teri- Oregon
    you poor thing, your sheltered aren't you?
  • rand Teri- O... 2012/03/23 23:16:26
    rand
    +1
    Not in the least. I was a principal of two schools and elected to a public school board. I'm far more reasoned than sheltered.
  • Bcounted rand 2012/03/23 23:44:43
    Bcounted
    +2
    That's funny who is going to supervise the supervisors? Suppress emotions and you could end up with columbine. Why not just punish the ones that are groping and call it good?
    Bcounted.
  • rand Bcounted 2012/03/24 04:19:56
    rand
    +2
    That would work IF you had an adult to supervise every child that decided to hug. In over 2 decades of operating a school that disallowed spontaneous hugging, not one parent argued against it. They all understood the power of testosterone, and they were delighted with the academic results of a school that emphasized learning. There's a reason that co-ed schools do less well in teaching than do gender segregated schools. I also had no students who'd been in the school for a semester ever complain about the rule. They understood its reasoning.
  • Bcounted rand 2012/03/24 05:09:51
    Bcounted
    Well, fortunitly to date … there is no rule that forceses us to agree.
    Best Wishes,
    Bcounted.
    No, that's ridiculous
    +1
    IT'S THE OPEN SEX IN THE CLASSROOM AND HIDDDEN FEATURES OF THE MODERN HALLWAY THAT SHOULD BE BANNED.
    SEX ED HAS BACKFIRED AS MOST L;IBERAL AND MARXIST PROGRAMS THAT THEY WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2012/03/23 22:55:49 (edited)
    No, that's ridiculous
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    +5
    I think I understand now why the creator of Hetalia (an anime) made the human personification of America a complete idiot. We make too many stupid new rules, policies, and whatnot.

America Hetalia idiot
  • Mattie ☆Snapef... 2012/03/24 01:31:15
    Mattie
    +3
    Hah, Hetalia! But, at the same time, we probably don't want to go the France route either...
    hetalia france
  • Sodaz56 2012/03/23 22:55:32
    No, that's ridiculous
    Sodaz56
    +4
    So being natural is inappropriate? It's not like there having sex or whatever! You hug at least 1 person everyday, do people really think hugging is gonna lead to sex?! You hug your kids, so you're basically a pedophile when you hug family and friends?
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/03/23 22:54:22
    No, that's ridiculous
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +2
    They will still hug but behind the scenes which then leads to kissing and hanky panky. Gosh idiots become teachers or school administrators every day don't they. They sure must make horrible parents and unhappy lives.
  • Stix 2012/03/23 22:52:56
    No, that's ridiculous
    Stix
    +2
    Hugs are nice...
  • Bcounted Stix 2012/03/23 23:47:01
  • Stix Bcounted 2012/03/24 00:02:13
    Stix
    +1
    Look how big that paw is...
  • Bcounted Stix 2012/03/24 00:08:23
    Bcounted
    LOL
  • Thomas 2012/03/23 22:42:30
    No, that's ridiculous
    Thomas
    +1
    Young love should be unbidden. Our schools were created as a training ground for adulthood. If a person hugs another, it is simply a gesture of friendship. I went to a Church Dance once, and the "rule" was that they had to fit a bible between the dancers. This is just Stupid. Men and Women shouldn't be encouraged to limit contact. This behavior is the most natural behavior man has. Men are supposed to be attracted to women. Women are supposed to be attracted to men. This is the way nature intended it. Limiting physical contact leads to lonliness and depression. Depression can lead to resentment, and resentment can lead to violence. I blame Seperation Anxiety for all of the school shootings. The Shooters all have problems getting along with society, and society shrugs them off, so they get lonely and then in a manic depressed rage, they kill. Beat a dog enough, it will bite you.
    No, that's ridiculous
    +3
    how stupid
  • WankerBait 2012/03/23 22:40:35
    No, that's ridiculous
    WankerBait
    +5
    WTF is wrong with 'merica ?

2014/12/22 07:05:00