Should Happy Hour Be Banned?

New Yorkers have a new reason to shed a tear in their beer: happy hour may soon be banned in the city, a Department of Health source told The New York Post. "It’s absolutely been discussed," the source said, referring to a proposal on the table to ban discounted drinks at bars and restaurants.

Agency spokesman Sam Miller denied existing "plans to pursue any policy around discount-alcohol sale," according to the Post, but in his "Take Care New York 2012" report, Commissioner Thomas Farley said he aimed to "reduce risky alcohol use." The document reads: "DOH will advocate for policies that reduce access to alcohol by adolescents and for limits on sales practices in communities and campuses that promote drinking among adolescents and heavy drinking among adults."

In fact, if this plans goes through, New York City wouldn't be alone: 19 states currently prohibit happy hour. But we're definitely not the only ones who appreciate a discounted beverage after work... are we? What do you think about the potential happy hour ban in New York?

• the_old_coach 2012/04/30 17:12:36
    the_old_coach
    +24
    Damn it! This is what I HATE about the "government!" STOP trying to regulate our lives and behavior!

It's is up to the individual to regulate him- or herself, the bartender can also help regulate, and then society already has a mechanism--laws on the books--to punish those who are unable to do so, but LEAVE THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR DAILY LIVES.

libertarian party

• Beat Ma... DebraJM... 2012/04/30 21:04:57
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    I'm going to have a drink right now, and then I'm going to go about my day, not harming or hurting anyone. This will accomplish two things:

1. It will upset you greatly.
    2. It will prove you wrong.
  • DebraJM... Beat Ma... 2012/04/30 22:57:51
    DebraJMSmith
    It will not upset me in the least. --And we have no idea what you will do after you take that first drink.
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/02 00:01:29
    hasher
    im with boomer. millionsof dollars are wasted on people getting arrested simply on possesion of pot. its ridiculous while the violent offenders get away with all kinds of crap. dont get me started. my son went through this whole bullcrap in mich. i know it was stupid of him to have it in school in the first place but everyone makes mistakes. even pat robertson is for legalizing pot. and he is the head of cbn christian broadcasting network. read his reason why. it makes sense.
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 08:58:17 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    And I disagree with him and with you and with Pat Robertson.
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/02 10:43:53
    hasher
    yeah well you have never gone through the court system with one of your kids and how ridiculous they treat pot offenders. you might feel differently if you had to go through it. its like they committed this horrible offense.
  • hasher hasher 2012/05/02 11:10:57
    hasher
    and its a big waste of taxpayer money.
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 19:30:57 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    A big waste of taxpayer money, is all of the money that goes to paying for the negative results of drinking and pot smoking on society. --The car accidents alone, costs tons of money to handle. And then there is the high cost of medical care in this country, largely due to the accidents and physical problems that come from substance abuse.

And if you are so concerned about the court cost on tax payers, then talk to your son about not wasting tax payer money again.
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 19:21:10 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    Darlene, if one of my daughters smoked pot, I would verbally knock her upside the head. I would never seek to get it made legal, just because a child of mine did it and got caught. --It is written that "Mischief is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline (meaning teaching) shall chase it away." The bible would never condone a person doing something that makes the person loose control of part of his mind, for the heck of it. Why would a mother want the law to make such legal? That makes no sense. We do stupid things as children. And some times we do stupid things as adults. The answer is not to make the law fit our stupidity. The answer is to obey the laws that are biblically okay to obey. --Your kind of thinking is what got abortion-on-demand to be viewed as legal, because some people were doing it anyway and did not want to face the courts for it.
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/02 11:15:27
    hasher
    what do you think of people who smoke medical marijuana?? its already legal in several states including here in mich. its no different than taking prescription drugs and a lot safer. its being proven. in fact there are growers who are developing a type of marijuana that doesnt even get you high just relieves pain.
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 19:34:18
    DebraJMSmith
    If it is REALLY used for medical purposes, then it would be in the form of a pill, not a joint. And something should be done to insure that a person does not drive, while on it.
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/02 14:36:40
    hasher
    well i guess as fellow christians we will have to agree to disagree. most people these days who drink do so responsibly and usually have a designated driver or drink at home.
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 19:36:57
    DebraJMSmith
    The alcohol related car accidents would not be so many, if the majority of people did not drink and drive. --It takes only one drink to impair a person's judgement, which can cause him to get behind the wheel of a car and kill someone.

Something tells me that if it were ever a child of yours, who was the victim of a drunk driver, you would not defend drinking, as you do.
  • TKramar Boomer 2012/05/01 16:20:53
    TKramar
    +1
    I can't answer that person for some reason. I wanted to chime in and say the converse is true. By making it illegal, you make it taboo, and people love to break taboos. By making it legal, you make it that much less likely that people will engage in it. That's why a lot of people actually QUIT drinking after they reach 21. Because there's no rebellion in it.
  • Boomer TKramar 2012/05/01 16:26:56
    Boomer
    I guess she has you blocked! But you make a good point.
  • TKramar Boomer 2012/05/01 16:49:13
    TKramar
    +1
    Yeah, that's my guess too, but I don't remember ever answering her before.
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/01 23:56:06
    hasher
    murder is not the same as drinking. youre talking apples and oranges here.
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 08:48:23
    DebraJMSmith
    Who said anything about murder, Darlene?
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/02 10:44:50
    hasher
    you did earlier in one of your replies.
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 19:38:14 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    That was a response to a man who claims to have been a retired cop, a Homicide Sargent.

However, it is true that anyone who drinks is a potential murderer, because he/she could get behind the wheel of a car and kill someone. --It only takes one drink to impair a person's judgement, which can cause the person to get behind the wheel of a car. The time to think about not drinking and driving is before a person takes a first drink. And the right choice, in order to not risk drinking and driving, is to not take that first drink. The minute a person takes a first drink, he is risking lives of others, if a car is anywhere around that he could get in.
  • Kit_Kat DebraJM... 2012/05/01 02:52:19
    Kit_Kat
    do America a favor. Move to another country. Its people like you ruining this country.
  • DebraJM... Kit_Kat 2012/05/01 03:29:22
    DebraJMSmith
    lol... Grow up.
  • Kit_Kat DebraJM... 2012/05/01 03:36:28
    Kit_Kat
    lol fall off a cliff,hag
  • DebraJM... Kit_Kat 2012/05/01 04:02:07 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    lol... I am so glad my daughters turned out well.

:o)
  • Justin.... DebraJM... 2012/05/01 05:22:50
    Justin.Long
    Yes but so is driving look at the number of nonalcohol involved fatal car crashes there are should cars be banned
  • DebraJM... Justin.... 2012/05/01 05:31:43
    DebraJMSmith
    From MADD:

1) This year, 10,839 people will die in drunk-driving crashes - one every 50 minutes.

2) MADD serves a victim or survivor of drunk driving every nine minutes.

3) One in three will be involved in an alcohol-related crash in their lifetime.

4) Every minute, one person is injured from an alcohol-related crash.
  • Justin.... DebraJM... 2012/05/01 13:53:45
    Justin.Long
    Yes but that still leaves 30'000 fatalities a year by means if car crashes

And yes I had close friends and loved ones die by means of alcohol I don't think it should be banned though hust people need to be responsible
  • DebraJM... Justin.... 2012/05/01 18:43:49 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    If we use technology to block texting while driving, that will take care of half of those. --But no matter what, just because there are other car deaths, does not make it right to keep allowing drinking, all things considered.
  • Justin.... DebraJM... 2012/05/01 23:02:38
    Justin.Long
    So if a man sits on his couch drinks like two beers which he does like once a month is he wrong for tht
  • DebraJM... Justin.... 2012/05/02 08:49:00
    DebraJMSmith
    I feel that drinking alcohol is not a wise thing to do.
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/02 00:10:49
    hasher
    so youre saying that i cant go home and have a couple of beers in the evening if i want to while relaxing and watching a little tv. show me in the bible where thats a sin. that is ridiculous. im still a christian. because i have christ in me. didnt jesus turn the water into wine??
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 08:52:18 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    Darlene, you seem to have a real problem with my views on alcohol. --Notice that I never once turned this into a biblical debate. My post had to do with the deaths that are caused by Alcohol. And though I do not believe that Jesus brought the booze, but rather turned water into non-alcoholic fruit of the vine, I am thinking that you are not in a place for me to explain my biblical views on this topic too, at this time.

You are clearly very upset that I am against drinking. Perhaps you need to take a look at your own life and ask yourself "why?" Seriously, have you really lived your life up to this point, believing that no one is against drinking? Don't get so upset. If you really believe that you are doing nothing wrong, then forget about what I am saying and drink up.
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/02 10:46:02
    hasher
    yeah whatever
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 19:44:37
    DebraJMSmith
    Are you not?
  • hasher DebraJM... 2012/05/02 10:48:34
    hasher
    of course i know people are against drinking.and thats your opinion so whatever.
  • DebraJM... hasher 2012/05/02 19:44:54
    DebraJMSmith
    So why are you so upset?
  • Justin.... DebraJM... 2012/05/02 13:46:44
    Justin.Long
    1st do think I am wrong for my belief on alcohol?

2nd I'm pretty sure it was alcoholic wine but anyways j don't have a problem with your views simply the fact you think the government being the enforcer of it they are worse than a hungry lion they will never be satisfied never they will want to bann trans at every where then salt then guns and freedom of speech and then what?

I don't like drukardness any more that you but I believe it up to the person to make that choice yesterday I bought a six pack and I had one beer out of it one and it was by choice
  • hasher Justin.... 2012/05/02 14:41:41
    hasher
    +1
    exactly thats my issue too. we dont need the govt regulating everyone to death on issues and that includes happy hour in bars.
  • DebraJM... Justin.... 2012/05/02 19:46:48 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    Yes. I think you are wrong. And no, I do not believe Jesus brought the booze. --The bible has somethings to say about drinking alcohol, things that are negative about it. So the wine that Jesus made would not have been alcoholic.

And considering that it only takes one drink to impair a person's judgement, causing him to drink another and another and another, it is a pretty foolish thing to do, drinking.

And it should not be your choice to do that which could kill another person on the road, if while your judgement is impaired you get behind the wheel of a car.
  • Justin.... DebraJM... 2012/05/02 20:41:15
    Justin.Long
    8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”

They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

Now if the wine wasnt alcohol why would it matter when the people drank it

Drinking is not the problem it's getting drunk l, it's like money having money isn't bad it's the love of money that is

the other night I had one beer at a friends house to which we goofed of and watched a movie now what was different about what I did then and a time I didn't drink...nothing
  • DebraJM... Justin.... 2012/05/02 20:44:44 (edited)
    DebraJMSmith
    None of the wine was alcoholic at that wedding. Had they been drinking alcoholic wine all of that time, before Jesus got there and turned water into wine, they would not have known the differences between the wines.

Nowhere does that say the wine was alcoholic.

2014/12/22 22:02:38