Should Happy Hour Be Banned?

New Yorkers have a new reason to shed a tear in their beer: happy hour may soon be banned in the city, a Department of Health source told The New York Post. "It’s absolutely been discussed," the source said, referring to a proposal on the table to ban discounted drinks at bars and restaurants.

Agency spokesman Sam Miller denied existing "plans to pursue any policy around discount-alcohol sale," according to the Post, but in his "Take Care New York 2012" report, Commissioner Thomas Farley said he aimed to "reduce risky alcohol use." The document reads: "DOH will advocate for policies that reduce access to alcohol by adolescents and for limits on sales practices in communities and campuses that promote drinking among adolescents and heavy drinking among adults."

In fact, if this plans goes through, New York City wouldn't be alone: 19 states currently prohibit happy hour. But we're definitely not the only ones who appreciate a discounted beverage after work... are we? What do you think about the potential happy hour ban in New York?

• the_old_coach 2012/04/30 17:12:36
    the_old_coach
    +24
    Damn it! This is what I HATE about the "government!" STOP trying to regulate our lives and behavior!

It's is up to the individual to regulate him- or herself, the bartender can also help regulate, and then society already has a mechanism--laws on the books--to punish those who are unable to do so, but LEAVE THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR DAILY LIVES.

libertarian party

• wtinaJD 2012/04/30 18:56:26
  • RoyDMercer - IFOTFD 2012/04/30 18:50:12
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +7
    No way. Next thing you know, they'll want to take the Victoria's Secret Ads off the sides of city buses.
  • AM 2012/04/30 18:44:00
  • ★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/04/30 18:42:59
  • Just Another Girl (5) 2012/04/30 18:42:31
    Just Another Girl (5)
    +6
    I am so glad I don't live in a state that has banned Happy Hour, while I don't go to the bar much and don't think I have ever attended a Happy Hour. I cannot stand government interference and over-regulation on things that are none of their business. And what a Private business owner charges for their products is NONE of their business. What I put in my body is NONE of their business.
  • Kira 2012/04/30 18:39:41
    Kira
    +4
    hellz to the naw. lets get crunk!!!! for a cheaper price ;D
  • smitty 2012/04/30 18:30:06
    smitty
    +5
    Well they already did away with happy hour around here. Now they just call it ladies hour.
  • Jake Blanton 2012/04/30 18:22:31
    Jake Blanton
    +3
    The government should not be able to set prices for private enterprise. It's not like the companies are selling the drinks at a loss anyway, they're still making a profit. Besides, it's not like they are going to be drinking in driving in NY -- drinking and subwaying, perhaps... :)
  • JennyDevio 2012/04/30 17:59:13
    JennyDevio
    +4
    Still none of your business govt, I can drink what I want! ;)
  • Lakota Deviant 2012/04/30 17:59:10 (edited)
    Lakota Deviant
    +5
    Lets just enact prohibition while we're at it... This sushi place I go to has an incredible happy hour which is why I go. Can they not discount food either? This Dr. Thomas A. Farley seems like he is trying to control our behavior to what he thinks we should act. Shouldn't that be up to us as grown legal drinking individuals to decide?
  • Gunner 2012/04/30 17:56:46
    Gunner
    +3
    Hell NO! More over-regulation and stupid, intrusive, and socialistic legislation! Grrrrrrr
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/04/30 17:55:57
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +4
    NEXT THING YOU KNOW... THEY'LL BAN TIME LIMITED SALES AT DEPARTMENT STORES BECAUSE TOO MANY WOMEN DRIVE TO THEM DANGEROUSLY THROUGH OUR STREETS! ...OR ONCE THEY GET THERE, TOO MUCH VIOLENCE OCCURS. (LIKE THOSE PRE-BLACK FRIDAY SALES I WON'T GO TO.)
  • alex 2012/04/30 17:51:31
    alex
    +4
    i wont be attending, but i wont stop others from doing so.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/04/30 17:44:21
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +4
    Undecided. Let it be put up to a vote.
  • Waiting in the Wings 2012/04/30 17:40:06
    Waiting in the Wings
    +6
    Really? I'm so glad I don't live in a state that prohibits happy hour. You know your limit, don't try to exceed it every time you drink. Don't get behind the wheel drunk. Use common sense so that those of us who do aren't punished to!
  • crewzer1 2012/04/30 17:38:20
    crewzer1
    +4
    This sounds like New York officials are learning from them mormon officials in th State of Utah.
  • Veritas 2012/04/30 17:20:20
    Veritas
    +4
    While rents are decreasing nearly everywhere, we pay top dollar to live here. Let us have our happy hour. The businesses will lose out. Many people that go to happy hour stay long enough to eat and drink after it's over. It's a way to bring business in.

Enough stuff is banned here. There's even banned foods for the homeless here. Seriously. Enough is enough.
  • Bob DiN Veritas 2012/05/01 18:00:54
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Government needs to be banned.
  • Chef Bunyan 2012/04/30 17:13:24
    Chef Bunyan
    +3
    My fiancee and the love of my life was killed by a drunk driver that had just left a happy hour. His blood alcohol level was 2 1/2 times above the limit
  • ««Ginge... Chef Bu... 2012/04/30 17:43:11
    +1
    I'm so, so sorry to hear about this, this is heartbreaking. I wish I could give you a hug.
  • Chef Bu... ««Ginge... 2012/04/30 20:03:22
    Chef Bunyan
    +1
    Thank you! Hard to believe that this will be 35 years ago on May 22.
  • Ashley ... Chef Bu... 2012/05/02 23:05:53
    Ashley Wells
    +1
    Time to move on?
    Happy hour isn't to blame.. do you really not get that?
  • Chef Bu... Ashley ... 2012/05/03 00:13:29
    Chef Bunyan
    YES IT IS!! I owned a restaurant with a full bar and I had NO happy hour because it ENCOURAGES over drinking! I was APPLAUDED by my VERY loyal customers!
  • Chef Bu... Chef Bu... 2012/05/03 00:16:05
    Chef Bunyan
    Also, did you know that the owner of a bar is legally AND financially RESPONSIBLE, for anyone that leaves his or her establishment after drinking! That's law in EVERY state!
  • Ashley ... Chef Bu... 2013/10/17 15:05:03
  • Chef Bu... Ashley ... 2014/01/27 02:23:06
    Chef Bunyan
    Yes in reality that's true! BUT, I OWNED a restaurant that had a full bar, and your license spells out your responsibility as the proprietor of the establishment in no uncertain terms. AND as proprietor, you can be held liable for a person leaving your establishment and driving under the influence. Don't believe me, look it up!
  • Just An... Chef Bu... 2012/04/30 18:38:33
    Just Another Girl (5)
    +3
    I am so sorry for your loss. My sister also lost the love of her life by a drunk driver.. However, I must point out that it isn't the price of the alcohol that killed your fiancee. it was the irresponsibility of the driver. Who very well could have gotten drunk at home and then hit and killed someone going to the store for more alcohol. If someone is going to drink and drive, they will do so regardless of what they pay for their drinks. Passing laws which tell a business owner what they can or cannot charge for their products is wrong and wont stop drunk drivers
  • Chef Bu... Just An... 2012/05/01 18:09:30
    Chef Bunyan
    I'm not advocating another prohibition, but happy hours are usually from 4 to 6 PM and that's the evening rush hour traffic time. You wanna have a happy hour make it from 9 to 11 PM then. My Patti was killed at 5:35 in the afternoon, on her way home from work!
  • Just An... Chef Bu... 2012/05/01 23:13:29
    Just Another Girl (5)
    +1
    Now this is actually different from what you stated above. Above you stated to ban happy hour, now you are advocating moving it to a different time? Again, it doesn't matter where, how much someone pays, or what time of day they drink. If they are going to drink and drive they will do so anyway. None of those options would stop drinking and driving. Sure, if it was at a different time your Patti might still be alive, but someone else would not be. He would have hit someone else leaving later. Or maybe he would have just bought alcohol from the store because it was cheaper and might have still hit her going to the store to get more alcohol. Or perhaps he would have been at that bar anyway paying full price and still would have hit her. It's impossible to tell.

The only way to prevent drinking and driving IMO is to pass a law that requires ALL cars to be fitted with a working breathalyzer lock. I am all for personal freedoms until you start infringing on other people's right to life. And drunk drivers cannot be trusted to make responsible choices. So the Government must make those choices for them. Sure, it might irritate me since I never drink and drive. To have to use a breathalyzer to start my car. But it takes only seconds and is a price I am willing to pay to save lives.
  • Chef Bu... Just An... 2012/05/02 06:44:14
    Chef Bunyan
    Maybe so but we've gotta keep the drunks off the streets PERIOD! They tried the breathalizer in some states but that doesn't work either because most cough syrups and mouthwashes have alcohol in them, so people weren't able to start theirs cars because of that
  • Ashley ... Just An... 2012/05/02 23:08:55
    Ashley Wells
    +1
    car Breathalyzer = useless.. Pay a homeless non drunk person $1 to breath into it for you..
  • Just An... Ashley ... 2012/05/03 01:41:10
    Just Another Girl (5)
    Eh it may not be 100% effective, but it's not useless. Some people might do that, but most probably wouldn't. And anything is better then nothing IMO
  • Bob DiN Chef Bu... 2012/05/01 18:00:31
    Bob DiN
    Very tragic and sad. However prohibition wouldn't stop it. The Volstead Act proved that.
  • Chef Bu... Bob DiN 2012/05/01 18:09:34
    Chef Bunyan
  • the_old_coach 2012/04/30 17:12:36
    the_old_coach
    +24

libertarian party
  • Just Je... the_old... 2012/05/01 06:58:32
    Just Jenn for Now
    +5
    HELL yeah, brother!!

libertarian
  • Kenneth... the_old... 2012/05/01 20:13:02
    Kenneth Huang
    Um, where do you think "laws on the books" come from? "Society"? Yes, society helps determine what laws are passed but it's the GOVERNMENT - the people we as society elect to represent us - that has to pass them.

That said, I do not support a ban on happy hours.
  • ={WGO}=... Kenneth... 2012/05/02 03:24:35
    ={WGO}=captnesti
    +1
    In theory. Really the government is a bunch of rich bastards who wish to exploit you and get elected so they may hold said power and keep making bank.
  • bluelady 2012/04/30 17:12:22
    bluelady
    +3
    Happy Hour is when I quit fighting and go upstairs to bed
  • Wahvlvke 2012/04/30 17:06:56
    Wahvlvke
    +6
    The pleasure police would like to have everything that is fun banned. They want their miserable lives to have lots of company.

2014/09/02 07:00:45