Should Gyms Ban Skinny People?

Did you ever notice that most gyms are filled with skinny people? So did Wendy McNary, an overweight woman in her early fifties who felt too out of place to join a fitness club. Until she discovered Body Exchange. You see, Body Exchange, in North Vancouver, Canada, admits only plus-size women.

For Wendy McNary, Body Exchange was exactly the kind of environment she was looking for. “It’s intimidating going into a gym setting,” she told The Province. “I honestly think some people in a gym setting are judgmental to people who are overweight or have a different body type.”

Now, she exercises six days a week, is training for her second 5K race and is down 50 pounds. But does it make sense to ban fit people from the gym? Louise Green, founder and CEO of Body Exchange, thinks it does. “Many of our clients have not had successful fitness pasts so I can see the anxiety before we get started and I can see the relief and happiness after we finish,” Green told The Province. “People are often too fearful to become active. There wasn’t a model that offered camaraderie.”

But we have to wonder: Do they throw you out once you slim down? How do they decide who is too skinny to join? And wouldn’t a gym that’s only for thin people offend everybody? Hmm…

• Rubyking 2012/06/20 20:56:40
    Rubyking
    +24
    what if the skinny people want to bulk up. It's a freaking gymnasium, not a weight loss center.

• Stef an... .: LiVi :. 2012/06/21 06:06:25
  • YeahISa... .: LiVi :. 2012/06/21 07:11:11
    YeahISaidIt
    +2
    I've been called skinny bitch so many times and I'm not even a stick. I have curves. If I call them fat they cry about their self image issues.
  • .: LiVi :. YeahISa... 2012/06/21 07:41:22
    .: LiVi :.
    +2
    Haha yes ive had to put up with that as well. It gave me body issues and I had the opposite of anorexia, I desperately tried to put on weight but eventually realised I was healthier in my natural shape. I don't judge fat people, I just find it ridiculous when some of them go on about equality and then they bag the sh!t out of skinny people as though were skinny just to make them feel bad or something. Just stupid
  • YeahISa... .: LiVi :. 2012/06/21 07:58:35
    YeahISaidIt
    +2
    I'm glad you got over it. My mom's side of the family are now much larger in their older age due to lack of exercise but they think I'm too thin and my dad's side is full of skinny people and they tend to think I have quite a bit of weight on me. I don't care as long as I still have a waist and my thighs aren't light years apart. My best friends are overweight, one always has been and the other never lost her baby weight. I just want the people I care about to be healthy. As for the ones thinking we want them to feel bad, they'll learn the hard way.
  • .: LiVi :. YeahISa... 2012/06/21 08:04:18
    .: LiVi :.
    +1
    Thanks. Yes exactly! I agree
  • Rock 2012/06/21 05:17:47
    Rock
    +2
    This is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard or in this case, read!
  • sean 2012/06/21 05:15:28
    sean
    +6
    She feels out of place because it is a gym full of skinny people that want to get in shape and bulk up. She needs a weight loss center.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/06/21 05:15:28 (edited)
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1

Skinny people make delicious high-protein snacks.
  • Artisan... lurx: t... 2012/06/21 07:15:05
  • lurx: t... Artisan... 2012/06/21 07:20:18
    lurx: the soda jerk
    Nicole Richie.
  • Artisan... lurx: t... 2012/06/21 12:03:57
    Artisan Rose ☽✪☾☥
    +1
    ewwwwww
  • lurx: t... Artisan... 2012/06/21 12:46:23
    lurx: the soda jerk

...and that was just after she had a baby.
  • Artisan... lurx: t... 2012/06/21 14:08:37
    Artisan Rose ☽✪☾☥
    +1
    OH GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
    kill it with fire
  • Rock lurx: t... 2012/06/22 06:53:59
    Rock
    +1
    That's hot.
  • hello kitty 2012/06/21 05:12:36
    hello kitty
    +1
    skinny people should still be able to go to gyms to get fit, exercise and be healthy.
  • Christy 2012/06/21 05:11:45
    Christy
    But I wouldn't have a problem with gyms that do what they can to be "overweight-friendly."
  • shayla moore 2012/06/21 04:58:53
    shayla moore
    +2
    why are fat people so sensitive.
  • NinjaRe... shayla ... 2012/06/21 06:33:39
    NinjaRebecca
    I know. It annoys the piss out of me.
  • Artisan... shayla ... 2012/06/21 07:17:56
    Artisan Rose ☽✪☾☥
    I think it's more of the morbidly obese people.
    "I have no self control over what I eat, feel sorry for me and persecute skinny people" Is their mindset. I know because I'm not very skinny and morbidly obese girls hate me because I'm skinnier than them.
  • Beanybudd 2012/06/21 04:58:48
    Beanybudd
    +4
    How do you think they got fit???? Eating burgers?? Fuq logic, my god.

I started going to the gym this past winter to lose weight, even though I would be classified as "skinny". I was intimidated too because everyone seemed so in shape while I couldn't even go half a mile on the treadmill with out having to stop to catch my breath. but you know what I did? Stopped having a pity party and did what I was suppose to do at a gym: get in shape! It's not a contest.

And a flaw in this logic is that what happens to these over weight woman who lose weight, make all these friends at the gym but then would be classified as average? They get booted and now are no longer accepted to that gym they've grown accustomed to.

While I understand that feeling, sure, they can make specialized gyms. But having a pity party over yourself is the same reason why someone gets fat in the first place. People judge everyone daily just for breathing. Working out? Just come on... those fit people in the gym should inspire you like they did for me.
  • TheVynne 2012/06/21 04:51:35
    TheVynne
    +1
    Definitely not. Exercise is needed in everyone's life for health reasons, forget weight. But I definitely see how a normal gym environment can be intimidating to someone who is overweight. I think it's just a gym focused more towards weight loss rather than general exercise and the atmosphere will really help to keep people comfortable while losing weight. Meaning they are more likely to stick with it. Hopefully, it teaches healthy living habits and nutritional information as well. It's like a specialized gym "program" to me.

But I really do wonder about when people do lose the weight. Do they actually just kick them out? What kind of system do they have to determine "too fit"?
  • JCLadybug 2012/06/21 04:40:50
    JCLadybug
    +4
    Honestly, when I see a plus size person walk into a gym and workout, I think "way to go". I understand it can be intimidating, but they can probably learn more from a friendly face at a gym that admits everyone. I have to ask, do they kick them out of the gym if they met their goal, thus losing their support system in some right?
  • TheBorg 2012/06/21 04:32:28
    TheBorg
    +1
    If fat people feel more comfortable in an all fat gym then it should be the right of the owner to ban skinny people. This is no different than an all female or male gym. For those females that said "No" would you be apposed to an all female gym? Hmmmm.......

I expect to see you women who voted "No" to be out picking all these female only gyms that are going up everywhere.

apposed female gym hmmmm expect women voted picking female gyms

• S123 TheBorg 2012/06/21 20:38:08
    S123
    The way the question us phrased, it makes it sound like they are talking about all gyms. That's why I (and, I'm guessing, a lot of other people) voted no. I think most people would have still vote no if it said "Should men be banned from gyms?"
  • TheBorg S123 2012/06/21 22:32:34
    TheBorg
    Sorry, apparently my eyes are going. I didn't see the word "all" in the question. I'll make sure to get my eyes checked tomorrow.
    eyes ill eyes checked
  • S123 TheBorg 2012/06/22 19:50:38
    S123
    +1
    I know it doesn't but if someone asks if a group of people should be banned from a certain type of place, I think that's usually what it would mean.
    sticking out tounge
  • TheBorg S123 2012/06/22 23:51:32
  • S123 TheBorg 2012/06/23 20:52:55
  • DianaXoGirl 2012/06/21 04:24:52
    DianaXoGirl
    Because people tell me I'm not fat but I am I have a bmi of overweight. Just because my cloths don't show my fat doesn't mean it doesn't exist
  • Airhead DianaXo... 2012/06/21 19:23:06
    Airhead
    BMI is an absurd measurement that originated in the 1800's. It was flawed then and is flawed today. It is a rough estimate not a health index.
  • beach bum 2012/06/21 04:23:45
    beach bum
    no
  • Doreen 2012/06/21 04:22:49
    Doreen
    +1
    I do understand the feeling of being an over weight person in a gym with all of the hard-bodies and they DO look at you with disdain. We are getting off our asses to do something about it and we are still looked down upon. I like the idea of there being gyms that overweight people can go to without being judged but to ban the hard-bodies no. If only really overweight people are allowed then you go by height, body type, and age and when you get about 20 from your goal then you can graduate to the hard-body gym. Hell if someone owns a gym maybe they should consider a separate gym for the really overweight people and when they are ready go into the next building tell them they are ready. A big reason that overweight people have a hard time loosing is because even though the are trying to loose people refuse to give them a break and do not offer support but cruelty.
  • JCLadybug Doreen 2012/06/21 04:44:03
    JCLadybug
    I may be the exception, but I believe that it isn't distain most of the time. People are aloof at gyms in general and anytime an over-weight person comes in, I always think "way to go". I always like to see people making positive changes in their life.
  • Doreen JCLadybug 2012/06/21 04:48:09
    Doreen
    Possible but even though I am not super overweight I got dirty looks and arrogant glares. Tends to make you a tad distrusting.
  • JCLadybug Doreen 2012/06/21 04:54:31
    JCLadybug
    I think that may be your insecurities reading into their looks (although I am sure there are some people that too). I don't always feel comfortable at a gym, even though I know how to use all the equipment and run regularly. People give looks to anyone and I get them too, until I learn to be a little confident in my ability at the gym, I also feel self-conscious. Once that passes, their looks seem to take on another meaning. Of course, this can vary from gym to gym and state to state...so what do I know?
  • Doreen JCLadybug 2012/06/21 22:05:59
    Doreen
    +1
    It was not my lack of self confidence because my is not really that low. It was just the particula gym and I had talked to others who felt that way. We have another gym here that works well for overweight people ( Curves ) but when it came into town I was no longer able to afford going to a gym. I went in a looked and the staff was wonderful and very non-judgemental.
  • art1ej 2012/06/21 04:01:35
    art1ej
    +3
    If the bigger people aren't embarrassed buying the junk food at the store then they can workout...i workout i wasn't fat or anything but i was really skinny & even my brother who was overweight got in the gym & lost half his body weight i don't see why they wouldn't use the people around them as motivation....
  • Mud 2012/06/21 03:51:33
    Mud
    +3
    Seriously? Hell No. Losing weight is not the only reason people go to the gym, if they want to start a gym for only fat people, that's cool, this is America(whatever that even means anymore) and they should be able to start any business they like, but for other gyms? Ridiculous.
  • disclaimer 2012/06/21 03:45:48
    disclaimer
    +3
    Those people are skinny because they go to the gym. Fat people, stop victimizing yourselves and just change your lifestyle a bit.
  • Torchy 2012/06/21 03:45:06
    Torchy
    +1
    If simply being around a skinny person makes you feel bad, then you have bigger problems (pun intended) than your weight.

2014/09/03 05:29:22