Should Everybody Serve 2 Years in the Military after High School

FUS RO DAH! 2011/04/16 21:33:45
Related Topics: High School, School, Years, Year

• izzy 2012/07/23 16:22:43
    izzy
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! 2 years is a drop in the bucket when it comes to experience in life. Life gives us choices, and when it comes to helping each other, serving is top of the list. If more people served they could see how important and needed the military is. They could make up their own minds instead of listening to everybody and anybody who has not served and just has an opinion.
  • izzy izzy 2012/07/23 16:33:44
    izzy
    +3
    The question says Should, everyone serve in the Military? Not should everyone die or fight in the military. Just because one serves doesn't mean they have to go to war, there are many, many jobs in the military that people can do without going in to kill people, duh!! I think that if there was a military big enough we could do a whole lot more for our country in many areas then just going to others countries, and in turn would make our country a better a greater place to live. Just helping each other out in our own crisis could make a difference here. And the more people serve each other the better people become in their own lives.
  • Taylor 2011/04/20 00:10:12
    Taylor
    hell no
  • chief 00 2011/04/18 18:08:24
    chief 00
    Military should be a choice.
  • JGF 2011/04/17 19:16:47
    JGF
    forced conscription is little short of slavery, and a voluntary military force is more efficient. If I were in combat I'd rather the person at my side be there because he wants to be, not because he was forced to be.
    HELL YES!!!! ( Israel does it! )

Maybe it would grow some of these pampered little princes and princesses up!
  • Centurion~PWCM~JLA 2011/04/17 07:42:22
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    I served 22 + years in the military.

It could be a good thing for everybody but they have to have the right attitude.

Unfortunately, there are many people who do not have it and because of having lived undisciplined lives from day 1 till 18 years old they do not have the inner workings which would have prepared them for military life.

My father was also a soldier so that by the time I was 18 I knew that I'd already been prepared for boot camp and that I was "expected" to serve as almost every man in my family has done for decades.

I had the privilege of serving with some very fine people. There were also many people who were quite frankly more trouble than they were worth. Some people are simply not cut out for soldiering. It is a great place for any person to start but there are some people who don't have the right attitude and it would hurt the whole.
  • NekoChan 2011/04/17 06:06:23
    NekoChan
    Absolutely not! Going into the military should be a choice. Not everyone would make a good addition, anyway.
  • BrianD3 2011/04/17 02:57:56
    BrianD3
    HELL NO!

the military did me a whole lot of good as I was just a punk, they straighened me out BUT

we have the best armed force in the world and it is all volunteer

back when we had the draft in the late 60's and 70's the military was filled with druggies and criminals and officers had to wear sidearms to protect themselves from their own men.

I reccoment service highly, but I suggest it would be better voluntary
  • Centuri... BrianD3 2011/04/17 07:43:51
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I remember the druggees back in the early 70s as well.
  • jgh57 2011/04/17 02:50:50
    jgh57
    +1
    Or public service in exchange for college
  • Lady Wh... jgh57 2011/04/17 09:42:17
    good call!
  • Toodleloo SodaHead 2011/04/17 02:40:24
    Toodleloo SodaHead
    Nothing like that should be mandatory. Frankly, it's foolish.
  • Dennis 2011/04/17 02:36:52
    Dennis
    No man I believe in freedom, I want to serve the military because I want to fight for this country but having people forced? No that doesn't work for me
  • Sgt Major B 2011/04/17 02:36:28 (edited)
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    Emphatically NO! We don't need a military that large, and we can't afford that sort of expansion except for a WWII scale conflict.

I served as an NCO both during the 'draft' years and well into the years of the All Volunteer Force. When I returned from RVN the last time, I met 'VOLAR' head on, and like many other NCOs of the time, figured it would never fly. We were wrong. It took a while to work out the kinks, but the volunteer force works.

While many extoll the virtues and benefits to be gained from the 'great leavening influence' of compulsory service, my experiences say it's bull. We'll never draft everyone, and until we do, the system's inequitable. Got any idea how many males attain the age of 18 in any given year? And by the way, legally admitted aliens are also eligible for the draft and therefore should serve, also. Think we can handle 'em all?

Ok, so we make it equitable and everybody serves. Do we go with the current number of MEPS and increase their staffing? Do we open new and start over - what's the bill for that real estate? How/ where do we train these hordes? What's your garrison staffing requirement just to support the training centers you just opened? Remember, these personnel don't have anything to do with actual training, they just keep the post runn...

Ok, so we make it equitable and everybody serves. Do we go with the current number of MEPS and increase their staffing? Do we open new and start over - what's the bill for that real estate? How/ where do we train these hordes? What's your garrison staffing requirement just to support the training centers you just opened? Remember, these personnel don't have anything to do with actual training, they just keep the post running. How much of your career force do you tie up in the training base - 25%... 33%... 50%!?? Then they're no longer available in the field and you have to rotate them nearly as quickly as the new folks you have to train.

Just two years' service? That's a turnover of what percentage of your force every 12 months? Oh, wait a minute, they spent 4 - 5 months in training, they've a statutory/regulatory right to 60 days' leave during that 2 years, so simple subtraction shows we actually have them available in a unit for 17 to 18 months. But that's only true if we don't give early releases to those returning to CONUS after a combat tour because they have less than 6 months remaining to ETS. It avoids disciplinary issues. And what about our technical schools that exceed two months in length? How many will actually serve in a combat zone? Contrary to popular belief, only 38% of Vietnam era draftees actually served in Vietnam. The return on investment just ain't there.

The draftees I served with in Vietnam were great soldiers and I'll damn anyone that says otherwise. Hell, I enlisted with my draft notice in hand. The advantages of a longer term of service contracted with a volunteer, a smaller personnel commitment to sustain the CONUS base, the knowledge and experience that isn't lost in a hemorrhage of 1/3rd of your personnel every year just far outweighs any supposed advantage in requiring everyone to serve.
  • santa6642 2011/04/17 01:32:21
    santa6642
    +1
    It make a better citizen
  • BackRoadz 2011/04/17 01:06:29
    BackRoadz
    No one should ever be forced to serve in the military......let the politicians that start these wars fight them themselves...if they had to do this you can bet this planet would be a lot more peaceful than it is today......
  • In vino veritas 2011/04/17 00:56:19
    In vino veritas
    +1
    Unequivocally yes!
  • ReasonOverFaith BN - 0 2011/04/17 00:47:01
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    +1
    Absolutely not. If I were forced into the military I would subvert every training exercise possible. Remember the drafted hippies? They didn't do much for company moral. There are plenty of us who would have the same effect.
  • brutusi... ReasonO... 2011/04/17 01:23:27
    brutusin~ Proud Apetheist
    +1
    They only think they could break me. LOL
  • Sgt Maj... ReasonO... 2011/04/17 02:41:45
    Sgt Major B
    More myth than fact, my friend. Most draftees were decent soldiers that did their two years and went back home. I had no more problems draftees than with the Regular Army personnel.
  • ReasonO... Sgt Maj... 2011/04/17 03:56:33
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    Well you would know better than I, so I'll concede the point. But I would say that my point remains the same. Some of us would behave in that way to protest being put in the military by force.
  • Centuri... ReasonO... 2011/04/17 07:48:20
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Yes, I remember.

Thank you for your honesty. You probably should not be a soldier either.

I preferred the all volunteer service.
  • ReasonO... Centuri... 2011/04/17 18:14:00
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    I definitely shouldn't be a soldier. I think the all volunteer service works quite well and we don't need to muck it up by putting in people who don't want to be there.
  • Centuri... ReasonO... 2011/04/17 20:16:54
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    I agree.

I would not want anyone there covering me who was not there willingly.
  • ReasonO... Centuri... 2011/04/17 20:28:47
    ReasonOverFaith BN - 0
    Oh I would do anything of that sort when lives were at stake. I would take that seriously. But during training, at the base, during non-combat operations, it would not go well.
  • crossboy56 2011/04/17 00:21:12
    crossboy56
    +1
    ,and after home schooling
  • crossboy56 crossboy56 2011/04/17 00:23:05
    crossboy56
    Every year the USA have 275,000 young people go to jail after high school
  • ☆Snapefangirl☆ 2011/04/16 23:57:51
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    especially not the mentally insane or the "too-stupid-to-follow-simple-...
  • crossboy56 ☆Snapef... 2011/04/17 00:32:55
    crossboy56
    +1
    At the end when Germany had the allies at their door step.Hitler put mentally insane and the to stupid to know when to run on the front line.They were the only people left defending the city of Berlin.They made the allies pay a heavy price for every inch of land.
  • ☆Snapef... crossboy56 2011/04/17 00:35:02
    ☆Snapefangirl☆
    scary.
  • The Terrific Whatzit BN-0 2011/04/16 23:53:49
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    No.
  • Damaris 2011/04/16 23:45:29
    Damaris
    That would be a mistake.
  • i<3conanthebarbarian 2011/04/16 23:39:24
    i<3conanthebarbarian
    +1
    everybody deserves to have an option
  • crossboy56 i<3cona... 2011/04/17 00:34:20
    crossboy56
    +2
    When it comes to defending your country there is no option
  • i<3cona... crossboy56 2011/04/17 00:38:12
    i<3conanthebarbarian
    +1
    not really true
  • In vino... crossboy56 2011/04/17 00:57:41
    In vino veritas
    Freedom isnt free.........
  • BlytheSpirit~bn0 2011/04/16 23:33:16
    BlytheSpirit~bn0
    +1
    I put undecided because I would hate for everyone to have to do that. On the up side, it would sure stop some of the stupid military actions we've got going on now. If people were drafted there's no way we'd stand for all the foolishness going on now.
  • Ty ~ PHAET 2011/04/16 23:13:21
    Ty ~ PHAET
    +1
    Not everyone is cut out to be military material, and forcing people to serve in the military is something one would expect from a totalitarian government.
  • Loki 2011/04/16 22:17:25
    Loki
    +2
    I'm in the military, so my opinion is kinda biased. But, it has been great for me. I got in shape, built up my confidence, gained some discipline, got to travel the world, and I've made some of the best friends possible.

2014/10/21 00:03:32