Should elected officials and school board members be allowed to send kids to private schools?

Fef 2007/11/01 01:52:05
Many politicians promise better public schools for everyone then they send their kids to private schools.
Inspired by another discussion: http://www.sodahead.com/poll/23364/

• Snarkosaurus 2007/11/01 06:20:41
    Public officials should send their kids to ANY school they want
    Snarkosaurus
    +3
    Does it matter? I think it says a lot about the public school system... but as Ginny already said... *I* didn't go to public school. If I ever have kids they won't go either... If officials want their kids to go private, best luck to them.

• santa6642 2009/03/02 22:33:48
    santa6642
    Because of no better choice I would rather see VOUCHERS given to all those who pay school taxes and let them use the money for the type of school they want for their children.I think public school suck in plain english.Parents choice not politicians I want choices for my children and my tax money supporting my choices.
  • moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust" 2008/12/10 19:28:37
    moorrbrt1 "In God we Trust"
    If they can afford the private school then it's their business.
  • Joyfromky 2008/12/10 01:12:45 (edited)
    Joyfromky
    IMHO private schools should be done away with and the funding used for public schools therefore raising the standard of the public schools...QUALITY of education should not be determined by ability to pay tuition it should be avaiable to all...I think public officals should send their kids to public schools but do understand the security problems of the Presidents kids..they would probably be better served with education provided within the White House..(tutors) However, Amy Carter went to public school w/o an incident as far as I recall...Edited:::: I missed the school board member part..I think their kids should be FORCED to go the public schools for the parent to serve on the board.
  • mom 2008/09/24 18:55:16
    PUBLIC Schools only for Public officials
    mom
    it would make them more accountable for the choises that they make for the school.
  • assly 2008/08/05 23:42:10
    assly
    i dont think that anyone should decide on where a child is goin to go to school but their parents unless they plan on payin for it!!
  • Robertswifey 2008/04/23 22:30:39
    Robertswifey
    I think everyone has the right to send their child to whatever kind of school they choose.
  • Lyssa 2008/03/19 17:49:48
    Lyssa
    They aren't stupid. They know that they're kids will be done with school before any important changes are made to the public education system. If they can afford to send their kids to a better school then they should. What's the worst that could happen, we'll have more well-educated people in America? I think that's a consequence I could handle.
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2008/03/15 00:54:27
    Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow
    they can do what they want. interesting question
  • Joke is on you. 2008/03/03 07:26:18
  • Terry 2008/02/27 16:40:57
    Public Officials send to Private Schools ONLY for religious reasons
    Terry
    Yes, I believe that rich people go to heaven and poor people go to hell.
  • Paul 2008/02/07 18:57:34
    Paul
    Congress sends their kids to private schools; they have their own retirement program; etc. Public officials are not bound by the world they create for the 'masses'. Get used to it. We have a government that is by the government, of the government and for the government. They have set themselves up as a separate class and we all work for them.
  • Magzilla 2007/12/31 08:21:41
    Magzilla
    If they had to send their children to some of the shitty schools the general public has to deal with they would definetly do something about the system.
  • insectual 2007/12/27 22:22:19
    insectual
    As long as they pay the cost themselves.
  • Min Carter 2007/12/17 16:06:51
    Min Carter
    I have a problem with the verbage i.e what one SHOULD or SHOULD not do. I don't believe that it is the public's choice where someone chooses to educate their children. Where an official sends their children would perhaps be a determining factor in one's vote, or at least allow for some interesting discussion, etc. Bottom line - it's a personal decision - not a public mandated decision.
  • reed 2007/12/03 10:19:05
    reed
    this will help to increase the quality of education.
  • Foo Master Angie 2007/11/28 23:48:36
    Foo Master Angie
    +1
    I don't think that anyone's job should determine what kind of school they are allowed to send their children to...and, unless it's for religious reasons, I think by them sending thier children to private schools, it really says something about how they feel about the public school system, and sends a bad message.
  • Cacheman 2007/11/28 19:39:35
    Cacheman
    there just a slave for the man
  • Liz 2007/11/21 14:20:35
  • twin 2007/11/20 07:12:13
    twin
    +1
    I know pulic schools would be excellent than.
  • Fef twin 2007/11/28 23:43:14
    Fef
    or they'd quit so they could have good educations for their kids. Maybe we'd have childless administrators...
  • yosefa 2007/11/18 04:05:41
    yosefa
    +1
    It is up to the individuals, even the elected ones, to send their kids to any school they desire. We have the choice not to reelect them.
  • Fef yosefa 2007/11/28 23:45:09
    Fef
    Democracy works that way... fortunately we live in such a place.
  • Eddy 2007/11/16 06:24:49
    Eddy
    +1
    What if they just got that job and the reason they got that job is because they have the 'solution' to making public education better and well obviously they cant do it over night. (get what i'm saying?)

And if they have had that job ever since their kid was in Kinder, well let them send their kid to a private school but also kick him out of position.
  • Fef Eddy 2007/11/28 23:50:17
    Fef
    Good point. It takes time so solve the problem, so don't punish their kids while they correct the problem.
  • SocialCred 2007/11/12 03:07:48
    SocialCred
    +1
    I cannot understand school board members who don't have children in the schools they run. Generally these types of people are teachers' union stooges being groomed for higher office -- think Jackie Goldberg.....
  • BoyOfTheEnders 2007/11/09 09:23:42
    BoyOfTheEnders
    +1
    It's only fair.
    I'd really be mad If someone told me were I had to send my child to school, that is, if I had one, and I was a public offical.
    I would most likely send my son/daughter to public schools, because I think they have a well rounding experience on everyone.
    I feel private schools limit the child's exsposure to more realistic situations.

Great question!
  • Jamesy818 [Raccoon VP] 2007/11/08 23:13:56
    Jamesy818 [Raccoon VP]
    +2
    Then they might care a little more.
  • <--That guy 2007/11/08 21:43:27
    <--That guy
    +1
    Why should the public officials decide where a child goes to school? Shouldn't that be up to the family? If they want to pay to send their children to private institution, that's their deal. If not, there are plenty of public schools to from which to choose.
  • Fef <--That... 2007/11/09 08:42:47
    Fef
    +2
    i didn't phrase it properly... I meant "their own" kids not other peoples' kids. This spawned from another poll discussion.
  • <--That... Fef 2007/11/09 13:46:20
    <--That guy
    Ah, I see.
    In that case, yes.
  • jimih67 2007/11/01 11:46:48
    jimih67
    +2
    The last time I checked, this was a FREE country. Why should anybody be forced to send their children to this school or that school? Anybody has the right to send their children to a private school, so why shouldn't politicians or school board members? It is the people that elect them, and if you don't like it, vote them out.
  • Fef jimih67 2007/11/09 08:43:46
    Fef
    +2
    oh yeah, voting.... i thought we got rid of that arcane idea ;)
    I agree with you. People too often want to impose separate rules on public officials and we forget that we choose these public officials in the first place.
  • Snarkosaurus 2007/11/01 06:20:41
    Snarkosaurus
    +3
  • chilton~T~ 2007/11/01 04:58:01
    chilton~T~
    +2
    Well I don't think their children should be punished for their hypocrisy...I do think they should be legally made to disclose that. It might make them take a second look at keeping their promises.
  • ☺that's all she wrote... 2007/11/01 04:24:45 (edited)
    ☺that's all she wrote...
    +3
    Would also like to see public school teachers send their kids to public schools.
    While we're at it, make members of Congress and the Senate to put their children in public schools if they don't support vouchers. "Oh yes, I support the public school system." Right. But not for THEIR kids. They get to go to a good private school. See how fast the schools would improve once their own kids are in the system.
  • PBL 2007/11/01 03:43:08
    PBL
    +1
    I'm inclined to say public schools only because they need to have the same experiences the majority of Americans have had in sending their children to these (mostly) abysmal schools. I really don't want to punish the children because of our government's failure though.
  • Derek 2007/11/01 02:34:20
  • #1Misty 2007/11/01 02:25:06
    #1Misty
    +1
    How can elected school board members in any community make educational decisions for our children while their children go to "private" schools?I personally feel that school board members children should go to the public school that their parent represents.If the decisions and rules that these members make are good enough for our kids,then those same decisions should be good enough for their children.Same goes for elected officials,your children should go to the public school system that you represent .
  • Hank 2007/11/01 02:16:22
    Hank
    +2
    I did not like making that selection. It would not be right to punish their children because their parent or parents are elected of appointed officials. Why punish the kids? I would be all for sending the elected officials to a public school for a couple of days each week to participate in a mentoring program. Make it a requirement of the office they seek or hold. They would be forced to take a look at what goes on in the schools they fund.
  • chilton~T~ Hank 2007/11/01 04:58:55
    chilton~T~
    +1
    That sounds like a terrific idea!

2014/07/25 09:02:03