Should EBONICS be considered a "real language?" and why or why not?

Reezy-b 2007/06/26 15:15:43

• John 2007/06/26 16:25:30
    John
    +4
    Allowing a subculture to validate their existence by acknowledging their language is not something I like. Calling EBONICS a language instead of slang or something else acknowledges them as "normal" or as something acceptable! It's like saying Pig Latin is a language...it's a joke...they have a way of speaking, great, but we are in America and we speak ENGLISH :)

• allforkevin 2009/01/25 05:31:31
    allforkevin
    Ebonics is just one more perversion of the English language. Ebonics is someone's excuse for not learning proper grammar. I didn't set the standard. But, I agree and submit to it. Some things are just wrong. Ebonics is one of them.
  • Lex 2008/08/05 10:22:13
    Lex
    Ebonics is english for the lazy and uneducated. We do NOT need to be teaching our children to speak like drug dealers, strippers, and "thug gangstaz."
  • skull 2008/01/02 04:21:27
    skull
    Something diferent is always cool.
  • <--That guy 2007/11/01 19:31:34
    <--That guy
    It's a different dialect, but it follows the same rules of English, so it wouldn't be considered it's own language.
  • sweetpeachie 2007/08/22 14:05:24
    sweetpeachie
    +1
    Ebonics shouldn't be considered uh language at all. I don' remember ever trying ta jive ta someone, an' havin' ta repeat myself multiple times cuz dey didn't dig' what I wuz saying. Seriously, if ya can't learn proper english, don' speak at all. Learn sign language. I could dig' ya bettah. an dat boil on mah ass.

I used an ebonics translator for that. Isn't that fun?! Learn proper English!
  • allfork... sweetpe... 2009/01/25 05:33:12
    allforkevin
    I love it! Thanks for your comments! LOL
  • 20218 2007/07/07 16:49:07
    20218
    I can see both sides to this issue. It's hard to have an unbiased opinion I think - being white myself I don't know for sure if my feelings about ebonics are based upon my cultural upbringing. I couldn't guarantee you that my opinion on it isn't based more on my caucasian background and education and less on a true understanding of african-american culture. My instinct however is to say that ebonics in and of itself is not the native language of any race of people and therefore to me doesn't qualify as a languange based upon that one fundamental rule. However, again, I can't say for certain that my feeling that it makes one sound ignorant and under-educated isn't more a side-effect of a culturally influenced bias.
  • Margaret 2007/06/27 17:02:40
    Margaret
    Umm...because it isn't one.
  • red 2007/06/27 14:21:37
    red
    +1
    only if you'll let us dumb redneck's start one that we can spell
  • Reezy-b red 2007/06/27 20:40:09
    Reezy-b
    +1
    I couldn't agree with you more!!! lol
  • Marine 2007/06/26 22:48:48
    Marine
    Lets get real here! It is nothing but a bunch of city idiots who think it is cool to talk like that. Ebonics is rude and very degrading to Women and People in general. Speak English or go back to where you think you came from!!!
  • doright 2007/06/26 18:32:42
    doright
    +1
    Slang. You live in America, speak ENGLISH
  • chilton~T~ 2007/06/26 18:09:05
    chilton~T~
    +2
    No I see it as slang. The problem is that kids are growing up and learning it as a first language. This will cause difficulties as they enter the work force. All cultures have their own slanguage-we speak it at home and with our friends. In our area it's Cajun; when you are at work English is the national language. Citizens should be fluent in the language of their nation.
  • Shelly Bell 2007/06/26 17:50:36
    Shelly Bell
    +1
    i know i cant understand a darn thing they say. and when the white people attempt it: JUST DONT!!!. so if we cant understand it or even talk it, it shouldnt be a mere thought of being a language.
  • Kat 2007/06/26 17:28:17
    Kat
    +2
    It is merely an ignorant dumbing down of the Englinsh language.
  • RIC HARD 2007/06/26 16:52:13
    RIC HARD
    +2
    All that this blublonics is, is a butchering of the English language. For people too lazy to properly pronounce words in English as they were intended to be "p'nounced".
  • Scott 2007/06/26 16:40:22 (edited)
    Scott
    +1
    I will go out on a limb here-
    Try looking at this as if you had no connection to our society, basically like an alien visiting our planet.
    Looking at it from a linguistics stand point, "ebonics" could be considered a language. It has a grammatical structure that adheres to certain rules, it has a defined phonology, it has roots in other languages which show evolution through time..... This is the same as any other language!
    Now, accepting it as a common day language, thats another story.
    But consider the fact that modern day English came about in a time when people were speaking Gaelic and French in England.
  • Marine Scott 2007/06/26 22:51:18
    Marine
    Scott are you for real, you must be about 25 years old and live in either NY or Cal. and vote Liberal am I right? Come on and wake up would you want your kids learing that bull crap?
  • Scott Marine 2007/06/27 18:27:39
    Scott
    You failed to understand my logic.... Right in my post I say "now accepting it as a common day language, thats another story". The question wasn't about whether ebonics should be taught in schools, it was about whether it should be considered a language.
    I am not promoting it as a language we should TEACH...I was trying to play the devils advocate and give another point of view.
    I was looking at ebonics from the point of view of a linguist. You know, examining something without allowing personal opinion or philosophy to interfere with the argument. I think they call it science.
  • John 2007/06/26 16:25:30
    John
    +4
  • RIC HARD John 2007/06/26 16:39:25
    RIC HARD
    +3
    good answer.
  • John RIC HARD 2007/06/26 17:21:18
    John
    +1
    Thanks :)
  • JESTER 2007/06/26 15:47:44
    JESTER
    +3
    It's just a way for street thugs to feel in touch with each other. It is not a language, it's not even slang, it is basically gibberish.
  • ddpd 2007/06/26 15:44:31 (edited)
    ddpd
    +3
    That's not a real language, no way in school or in real life. Our so called President can't even speak right. (is our children learning) Let us not slap the American People in the face anymore.......:(
  • Kat ddpd 2007/06/26 17:30:19
    Kat
    +2
    kind of like that last so called president who doesnt know was "is" is. LOL
  • Cacheman 2007/06/26 15:35:33
    Cacheman
    +3
    it is by far the lowest form of communication, .. thugs who needs em'
  • JESTER Cacheman 2007/06/26 15:48:21
    JESTER
    +2
    Right with you, buddy!
  • Hank 2007/06/26 15:30:31 (edited)
    Hank
    +2
    Also known as A.A.V.E. or African-American-Vernacular-E... See, the word english is even used to describe it. Where do we draw the line? how many more "languages" will evolve from slang, street language, and other sources. What happens in a few years when another new so called language arrives on the scene. most of us have problems communicating in english ! Enough is enough.
  • Reezy-b 2007/06/26 15:22:59
    Reezy-b
    +2
    I don't agree with other people coming to the USA and speaking a different language. Although I'm not descriminating against anyone, I'm getting to wonder if english is the minority language?? I live in the south and I think we are being invaded by other cultures.
  • REVERSE... Reezy-b 2007/06/26 15:46:27
    REVERSE!! REVERSE!!
    +1
    I absolutly agree with you. I think that if you are going to be in our country then you should be able to speak our language. And just like you said I dont want to discriminate against anyone.
  • Reezy-b REVERSE... 2007/06/26 17:21:53
    Reezy-b
    thank you!!!
  • REVERSE!! REVERSE!! 2007/06/26 15:20:40
    REVERSE!! REVERSE!!
    +1
    I am sorry but I dont think that it sould be concidered a real language. I know that a lot of people talk in ebonics but it just shouldnt be a real language. I mean, people can still talk in ebinics.
  • Bri 2007/06/26 15:20:25
    Bri
    +1
    becuase its just like slang words and thats just another form of language not a completely different one.

2014/08/29 18:29:45